• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Cyberpunk much better than Starfield?

Is Cyberpunk better than Starfield?

• Graphically yes, but only that.

• Graphically and gameplay wise yes, but the story falls short.

• Yes, Cyberpunk is definitely a better game in all aspects.

• No way, Starfield is better than Cyberpunk.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BootsLoader

Banned
Before you start the "oh my God another thread", I would like to tell everyone that I want to discuss, not open wars between games, consoles, etc.
This is pure curiosity and discussion here.

So, first of all, I have not played Cyberpunk or Starfield. I have watched many videos about those games. Graphic analysis, tech analysis, gameplay analysis, meme videos and more. I have started playing video games in 1994 so I have some "experience" in gaming and I think that I understand a thing or two when I watch a video about a game.

Please note that I have played Witcher 3 from CDPR and Skyrim from Bethesda.

So all these days (after Starfield released), I am getting the sense that it is like Skyrim but in the future, the way characters talk, behave, walk, even running. I watched many videos that compare Starfield to older games claiming that older games like RDR2 are far better technically, graphically etc. Then I saw this video:

Why the hell Starfield looks so bland and un inspired. It is like they were bored when making this game. Is Cyberpunk 2077 better than Starfield?

winjer

Gold Member
Chuck Norris Yes GIF by Sony Pictures Television

ClosBSAS

lol not too many games are better than cyberpunk now, expansion is legit good a solid 9 out of 10. path tracing graphics are just a bonus.

acm2000

they are very different games but Cyberpunk was my GOTY on release (PC) but its not an RPG, its a Solo FPS.

Starfield is great and probably the most ive been into a game in 2023 but it has no real comparison to Cyberpunk outside of being able to shoot guns.

It is very strange to me that Bethesda, a critically acclaimed studio did so bad with their latest release under Microsoft.
"so bad" get over yourself :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GymWolf

For most things, yeah.

Scope and number of quests and SOME indoors locations are probably on starfield side.

Gunplay is pretty close but CP has gore and it rely less on precanned death animations so it edges a win (also way cooler melee weapons).

Last edited:

damidu

from the moment you interact with an npc, you have your answer.

the way a conversation flows, animates is at least 2 generations apart.

bethesda thinks they are in a vacuum, and releasing the same game once every decade would be enough, while the industry keeps leapfrogging them.

they’ll be getting even more bitter receptions in the future, if they don’t do a comprehensive overhaul to their whole development process.
sure they have a console warrior defence force now, which might do bulk of the damage control for them. but im not sure even they’ll be onboard for “skyrim in wherever ” in 2030s

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It's crazy to me how people forgot how broken CP was at launch, and how everyone was making glitch compilations with the naked T-posing, the cops and all the other broken AI stuff. Starfield launched in a much better state comparatively.

Btw the video doesn't even show original CP but the expansion instead, that is considered vastly better after three years of patches.

nowhat

Cyberpunk isn’t much of an RPG anymore but it’s a pretty good action adventure game.
This (and that the game would crash like every 30mins) is why I was so disappointed with it at launch. Your choices really don't matter that much, even what endings are available are a matter of what side content you've completed.

But knowing that, I've much more enjoyed my time with 2.0/Phantom Liberty. As an action adventure it's pretty great.

GymWolf

Haven't completed Cyberpunk yet, but the video you shared, it highlights difference in game design approach from both studios.

In Cyberpunk it's scripted and will play out same each time.

In Starfield it's simulated, NPCs are working based on AI.
Yeah you have to expand on that because i felt that npcs ia and way to handle a mission (stealth, action, hacking etc. or the choices you can make) are better in CB or at the same level at the very least.

Npcs around the levels in Starfield are braindead, they don't have a day\night cycle nor a personal home like old bethesda titles and majority of big chained quest are mostly scripted with maybe one alternative way of doing things.

I really didn't felt much more freedom in starfield compared to cb except the whole exploring space thing.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Started Cyberpunk 2077 recently, in my opinion it's a much better game (now) than Starfield, at least on your first playtrought.

Starfield whomever would be clearly a better gamer compared to the original at launch.

In my overall opinion: Cyberpunk 2077 gives a much stronger gameplay impression and presentation than Starfield. The biggest weakness to Cyberpunk is;

Totally different games, there is a lot more depth to Starfield with what you can build and the size of the universe.
Cyberpunk is like a shooter with RPG elements, whilst Starfield is an RPG with some shooting.
As an RPG Starfield is a far superior game.

Bad excuse. They are both RPGs with focus on exploration and immersion with a loot system and FPS mechanics.

Last edited:

violence

Too early to say for me but cyberpunk is better than Neon city. I can see starfield being more replayable

Last edited:

Kacho

Cyberpunk has better graphics but the actual game does very little for me personally. Im struggling to stick with it on a second play through since I’ve already experienced the story.

Yeah you have to expand on that because i felt that npcs ia and way to handle a mission (stealth, action, hacking etc. or the choices you can make) are better in CB or at the same level at the very least.

Npcs around the levels in Starfield are braindead, they don't have a day\night cycle nor a personal home like old bethesda titles and majority of big chained quest are mostly scripted with maybe one alternative way of doing things.

I really didn't felt much more freedom in starfield compared to cb except the whole exploring space thing.

Talking about the video specifically.

I haven't finished big questlines in Starfield either (60 hrs in).

But I will be highly surprised if it were scripted in a cinematic way like they are in Cyberpunk.

I am enjoying the game so will play in depth and see if it's an rpg or not.

Saber

Gold Member
The thing about Cyberpunk is that is indeed a true vision of the futuristic world. Lot of weird ads, strange people, sex everywhere(reflex on the attractiviness of npcs), etc.
The story for me was a let down once you get to the point of being begging for your life. But before the the story was godlike. Doing dirty work as main story is exactly the strong point of this game.
Rpg elements alongside shooting are very fair, with lot of branchs and different approachs to play the game(melee, shooting, hacking, sneaking, you name it). I love the builth path of netrunner(hacker), its such a fresh way to play the game.

Overall Cyberpunk will have absurdly legs for what they have done. Characters are diverse and have clear flaws and distint personalities. Its just a shame your main buddy and netrunner are out of scene too soon, they have excelent chemistry with you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom