• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

NikuNashi

I could've sworn I saw multiplayer gameplay for Halo... Only Cinematics i rembered was Starfield and Redfall (which will probably have gameplay before their launch next year and makes sense)
17 seconds in the Halo trailer begins nothing but gameplay, yes there are cinematic cuts but that's gameplay.

There was a very long cinematic with Chief floating in the air whilst a Mexican voiceover was talking to him, then the scenes where they replaced Cortana with a chick that looked like the manager of mcdonalds. You didn't see that?

Last edited:
If you say anything other than B/A, you probably don't like videogames.
Uhm what? For me personally, who doesn't play FPS, multi-player/co-op or racing games, the only games that were interesting or looked any good were Far Cry 6, Diablo II, Starfield and Replaced.

And out of those only Starfield and Replaced are exclusive, but Starfield didn't show any kind of gameplay so that trailer was utterly pointless.. Yeah, to me the show was an easy D at best and I love video games 😘

If you like that sort of stuff though, of course it was a good show, can't argue with that. Although it was severely lacking games that looked "next-gen" to me, a lot of dated looking graphics and bad/mediocre animation.

(Also, I have 0 interest in Gamepass, so)

Last edited:
I give it a C

Last year was a D. Their usual is a "C". Don't think I've ever rated them a B or above in like 15 years or something.

It was pretty predictable. Lots of no shows. Starfield hardly had anything worthwhile shown. Another Forza game (shocker). And a cross-gen game at that. Halo still looked bad.

Halo looked great. Forza Horizon 5 is the best looking next gen game hands down. Starfield, I agree was nothing yet. Lots of awesome smaller games like Shredders, Stalker 2 and Replaced.

Vagswarm

I was pleasantly surprised by their conference, especially compared to their previous ones + other company showings over the years. I'm glad they focused more on the hardcore action type games over the family friendly stuff. And the focus wasn't on Halo or Gears, although Halo multiplayer looks like a lot of fun.

The only thing I would've liked is to see more gameplay footage -- some games didn't show any at all! The very last game looked great, but how does it even play? The open world of Halo would've also been cool to see. I think they were nervous to show it because of the previous backlash.

Raonak

Banned
H for hot trash.

Felt like a really bad move showing off starfield without gameplay, feels like MS is nervous of showing off their gameplay due to the halo backlash.

Last edited:
Halo looked great. Forza Horizon 5 is the best looking next gen game hands down. Starfield, I agree was nothing yet. Lots of awesome smaller games like Shredders, Stalker 2 and Replaced.

forza horizon isn’t anywhere near the best looking next gen game. It simply looks really good for a racing game

and it’s cross gen too

Smaller games did nothing to me and the red fall ender was limp

Longcat

I would probably rate it the highest so far, but that doesn't say much since most of this E3 has been a snoozefest.
But on a positive note, at least we have 3 cheeki breeki games in development! I hope at least one of em doesn't get cancelled.

TLZ

Banned
Craig didn’t show up this time.
200.gif

jigglet

Banned
Where's the list? I would have expected more excitement on the main board if there were 30 games revealed. I assume most of them are ports, non-exclusive, indie or just not exciting?

sainraja

I wasn't disappointed with what I saw but I also wasn't excited by anything that was shown (this could be because of my feelings towards gaming the past few days - I might need to take a break.) It was a good showing by Xbox overall but it showed that Microsoft really needed Bethesda. If they didn't have Bethesda, what would they have shown? They might be holding on to other announcements for later on, I can see that, why play all your cards at the same time?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I wasn't disappointed with what I saw but I also wasn't excited by anything that was shown (this could be because of my feelings towards gaming the past few days - I might need to take a break.) It was a good showing by Xbox overall but it showed that Microsoft really needed Bethesda. If they didn't have Bethesda, what would they have shown? They might be holding on to other announcements for later on, I can see that, why play all your cards at the same time?
i think microsoft are relying too much on bethesda

jigglet

Banned
Where's the list? I would have expected more excitement on the main board if there were 30 games revealed. I assume most of them are ports, non-exclusive, indie or just not exciting?
I made dis

Hey do you actually do voice acting as a profession? That was exceptional.

EDIT: oh I just read your description. Your video is still great though!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well I'm guessing none of these CGI trailers take the record for the worst one ever though........ Nintendo's worst showing of all time........

METROID PRIME 4 - the trailer that took 12 seconds to make!! LOL

Last edited:

emivita

D+ for the content shown, though the showcase itsell was well paced.

I was looking forward to Starfield but was left with a short CGI trailer, and I wouldn't bet a single cent on that release date, unless Game Pass model allow them to release the game in a Cyberpunk state, also it's like they forcedly played on Skyrim 11/11/11 release date and I didn't like that move honestly. Redfall looks fun, but again, CGI trailer. And way too much focus on FH5, it's a looker but I don't care about racing games. I wanted to see Halo single player and find if they improved anything...no, they showed multiplayer which graphically looked hilariously bad. The rest is console launch exclusives, and some of them are actually pretty cool (especially 12 minutes and Replaced).

DavidGzz

Meanwhile I got 35 hours in returnal and consider it an amazing new ip and ratchet and clank is one of the highest quality games released since this gen came out, if not the highest quality

Not for me. I don't care about Zelda and Mario either. More power to you if you enjoy cartoons still.

There was a very long cinematic with Chief floating in the air whilst a Mexican voiceover was talking to him, then the scenes where they replaced Cortana with a chick that looked like the manager of mcdonalds. You didn't see that?

Idk how I missed the Spanish since I speak it fluently. Odd. I'll have to watch it again. And that AI was 10x hotter than Abby and Aloy lol

Robb

Gold Member
I'd say C/C+ just in general. But if you have GamPass it'd definitely be a solid B IMO.

They announced plenty of day one GamePass games that I probably wouldn't have bought, but am definitely excited to play knowing they'll be available.

It was a solid show with great pacing, especially compared to the godawful Square Enix presentation. Not to mention Ubisoft.

Nubulax

I feel like this sums up most of my feelings. Can you just imagine how up shit creek Microsoft would be had they not been able to throw almost 8 Billion dollars around to get Zenimax, a number unheard of in pretty much any video game acquistion by a gigantic factor. People thought minecraft was a huge ammount this was like 4 times that and the equivalent to 30 Insomniac Studios price. I still put it at a solid B or B+ maybe for the actual content of the presentation. Just presentation I would give an A. I think they missed with not showing Halo Campaign, but MP looked like what I think of when I think HALO MP with pretty good graphics and only a very brief alpha engine footage of Starfield which got revealed in 2018 at E3 and THIS is what we got 3 years later...absolutely dreadful, I expected much more. Not to mention the "One More thing" was just a long CGI trailer that doesnt even represent the open world this game is supposedly supposed to be.

Contraband and Outer Worlds 2 basically just being title reveals. Ironically enough the OW2 trailer basically dunking on Xbox trailers/conferences from years past imo.

STALKER 2 Looked pretty good and interesting. Shredders looked like something I might try, I loved the snowboarding games from years ago..Flight Sim looked great if that is what the series version will look like although game has been out almost a year on PC already.

Horizon looked awesome and probably the game of the showcase tbh. Looks pretty fun and a nice step up into what Next Gen should look like even if it is cross gen.

Very SOLID conference but I feel like it was just lacking that EXTRA punch to give it an A. No MEGATON or really super surprise I dont think, nothing that stood out as a MUST HAVE.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
6/10. (TL;DR: Not enough good content, not enough gameplay, excellent Gamepass additions, well-paced show).

I am still waiting to have enough high-quality games to pull the trigger on an XSX purchase. This show didn't have any games that would make me abandon Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, etc. and buy an Xbox for XGS games. I'll eventually buy an Xbox, but this show didn't create any urgency for me, to be honest.

Starfield could have been a game that would make me rethink buying an XSX, but they didn't show any gameplay, so who knows how it turns out to be. Foriza Horizon 5 looks good, but we are familiar with the IP and how it plays, so no surprises. Arkane's first XGS game looks awfu. Terrible departure from their single-player immersive sim games. What a shame for such a talented studio.

They also didn't show Halo single-player. If they were confident in their graphical overhaul, they should have done a side-by-side comparison to prove how they improved the game from last time. They ended up completely hiding it.

Gamepass, on the other hand, continues to look impressive. If you are into smaller AA and indie games, Gamepass is saving a lot of money. And continues to be the only reason for me to consider buying an XSX sometime in the future. Hades being available on day one is very tempting. On top of smaller games, they also got Yakuza LAD and Plague Tale 2 day one. Excellent!

Also, that The Outer Worlds 2 announcement was unnecessary. Phil says he doesn't want to show games too early but then continues to do just that.

P.S. Some are thinking that it was a very good show. For a second, forget what Jeff Grubb said and how he tempered expectations. If everybody went in expecting Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, and Perfect Dark (as they should have been) imagine the disappointment. Jeff Grubb saved the day for Xbox with his tweets.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

A Tier conference.

whole point for me was MS to show they're indeed ALL IN, and that is exactly what that conference showed.
Somebody should do a breakup how many games were shown and how many were just CGI.

Oh, no. I was definitely replying to you. You're just a little too stupid to understand the post, which is... frankly bizarre. I don't know what to tell you, kiddo.
I think you missed my original point entirely, but that's ok, you seem like a great person to debate with and not overly defensive at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:
have a good one

jigglet

Banned
I also love how they addressed PC to the extent where they are straight up showing recommended specs for some games. No BS.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Ratchet looks better than FH5.
There is a weird attempt at a narrative here that the Xbox stuff shown today is a “generation” ahead of what exists on PS5. The GPUs on both machines are so similar that it’s going to come down to studio skill and artistry. Xbox only gamers who haven’t experienced demons souls or Ratchet don’t know what they are missing.

There is no way in the underworld that Forza Horizon looks better than these games. Ratchet can easily be mistaken for a CG movie according to most reviews, and I think that’s a fair statement for the most part. Not cutting edge obviously but it looks more pre rendered than a “game”.

Forza CLEARLY looks like a game.

Strange stuff. I encourage Xbox only gamers to branch out a bit. 😁

Outrunner

There is a weird attempt at a narrative here that the Xbox stuff shown today is a “generation” ahead of what exists on PS5. The GPUs on both machines are so similar that it’s going to come down to studio skill and artistry. Xbox only gamers who haven’t experienced demons souls or Ratchet don’t know what they are missing.

There is no way in the underworld that Forza Horizon looks better than these games. Ratchet can easily be mistaken for a CG movie according to most reviews, and I think that’s a fair statement for the most part. Not cutting edge obviously but it looks more pre rendered than a “game”.

Forza CLEARLY looks like a game.

Strange stuff. I encourage Xbox only gamers to branch out a bit. 😁

Must be that

MacReady13

B

Not a lot of gameplay and I didn't really find most things interesting. Gamepass was the star of the show with its huge amount of content being released day one, but that's it.

A great show for Gamepass, but not so much for games individually.

Forza Horizon 5 and Battlefield are the highlights for me.
Sorry but this is what I don’t understand- we are asked to rate this press conference for Xbox, yet I see everyone praising game pass! Is Microsoft Xbox finished as a brand? Should they just continue forward as game pass cause they seem to be pushing that as their brand?

Corndog

Banned
6/10. (TL;DR: Not enough good content, not enough gameplay, excellent Gamepass additions, well-paced show).

I am still waiting to have enough high-quality games to pull the trigger on an XSX purchase. This show didn't have any games that would make me abandon Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, etc. and buy an Xbox for XGS games. I'll eventually buy an Xbox, but this show didn't create any urgency for me, to be honest.

Starfield could have been a game that would make me rethink buying an XSX, but they didn't show any gameplay, so who knows how it turns out to be. Foriza Horizon 5 looks good, but we are familiar with the IP and how it plays, so no surprises. Arkane's first XGS game looks awfu. Terrible departure from their single-player immersive sim games. What a shame for such a talented studio.

They also didn't show Halo single-player. If they were confident in their graphical overhaul, they should have done a side-by-side comparison to prove how they improved the game from last time. They ended up completely hiding it.

Gamepass, on the other hand, continues to look impressive. If you are into smaller AA and indie games, Gamepass is saving a lot of money. And continues to be the only reason for me to consider buying an XSX sometime in the future. Hades being available on day one is very tempting. On top of smaller games, they also got Yakuza LAD and Plague Tale 2 day one. Excellent!

Also, that The Outer Worlds 2 announcement was unnecessary. Phil says he doesn't want to show games too early but then continues to do just that.

P.S. Some are thinking that it was a very good show. For a second, forget what Jeff Grubb said and how he tempered expectations. If everybody went in expecting Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, and Perfect Dark (as they should have been) imagine the disappointment. Jeff Grubb saved the day for Xbox with his tweets.
No. The only one I would have expected was hellblade. I already tempered my expectations anyways after seeing their presentation last year.

Top Bottom