• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

shubik

I voted a c but would say it was somewhere between a B- or C+.

Can´t lie... I was excited about the show. What I liked:

- Forza looks fantastic (only real next-gen game. of the show I would say)
- STALKER looks sick (hope the 3 months exclusivity is correct and it will launch directly on the PS5)
- HALO looks better but Is this really it? Xbox´s big system seller looks like a cross-gen game at best. Ratched just showed us what a true technical marvel first-party games should be...
- Starfield piqued my interest but I can´t say I´m hyped yet.

That being said: What the fuck Microsoft? This was an easy home run and THE chance to show people what true next-gen looks like and that's all you got? I mean I understand that most of the bought Studios are just in pre-production for their new games... but you gotta give the people a little bit more.

I keep looking for a reason to buy a series s... so far xbox hat not given me one.

Alx

Sorry but this is what I don’t understand- we are asked to rate this press conference for Xbox, yet I see everyone praising game pass! Is Microsoft Xbox finished as a brand? Should they just continue forward as game pass cause they seem to be pushing that as their brand?
It's all about the games. The hardware and the distribution services are just platforms/tools to give us access to those games, so yeah "gamepass" is just as relevant as "Xbox" as a brand, if not more.
Some people are still stuck in the old "buy my console to access my exclusives that are so much better !" model, while MS is saying "come in my service that offers great content for a low price".

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How do you compare Forza Horizon with Horizon Forbidden West?

I'm not trolling BTW its a legitimate question. It's like comparing Halo Infinite to Ratchet and Clank.

Edit: See what I mean?

68d8d1f0-8e2b-11eb-b6ee-f73a6e71303a

It really doesn't make any sense.

For real I can't think of a more goofy comparison rofl, that's like comparing halo with harvest moon

I was expecting a comparison with GT7 to be honest since they are both racers. But to something like Forbidden West?

I don't understand how that works.

i was seeing desert sand, materials, insane high quality rocks and foliage.

it looked amazing. They kinda share some visual similarities if you look at the settings of metal against tropical sea and sand. Closer comparison than halo vs ratchet imo And I was really trying to say they both look impressive graphically, not that they look like an identical playing game, or the exact same genetic make up. Didn’t expect people to analyse my comment so much haha.

basically forza has insane texture details, crazy impressive graphics for a cross Gen game but still built for next gen. very very impressive stuff all running ina huge open world and multiplayer servers running out the wazoo. Mental.

Money talks. No need to be salty that you can't enjoy countless games on the cheap. I don't have to worry about setting money aside for Dark Alliance this month or The Ascent next month? Fucking awesome. Why wouldn't that make the score better?

I rate conferences based on the actual games not whether your broke ass can afford them

I've got a 3 month GPU code still to be used an 60000+ MS points. Don't worry i wont be spending a dime on this shit

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sorry but this is what I don’t understand- we are asked to rate this press conference for Xbox, yet I see everyone praising game pass! Is Microsoft Xbox finished as a brand? Should they just continue forward as game pass cause they seem to be pushing that as their brand?
I think that's their plan. Selling games and consoles is secondary to selling subscriptions to GamePass.

I don't even think they'd be against putting GamePass on Playstation or Nintendo's platforms if those companies allowed it.

Growing the amount of subscribers seems to be their main goal.

Gone

Banned
B.

They should've showed a glimpse of Hellblade 2 and maybe a quick montage of Avowed, Perfect Dark and Fable.

Leo9

B, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft can get an A next year. They need to show Hellblade, Avowed, Fable and Starfield gameplay.

DavidGzz

I rate conferences based on the actual games not whether your broke ass can afford them

I've got a 3 month GPU code still to be used an 60000+ MS points. Don't worry i wont be spending a dime on this shit

The conference was awesome. Way better than Sony's. My broke ass has all platforms, well besides that weak tablet called a Switch. Not wanting to spend money needlessly doesn't mean you're broke, child. It means you're smart with your money.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
B+ to A-.

And the fact they were able to do that while still keeping the majority of their titles under wrap is amazing.

Great conference. Gamepass just keeps getting better & better. Excited for Forza, Halo & SoT Jack Sparrow later this year.

Next years E3 is going to be an A+ considering what they didn't show.

docbot

Banned
D, but this is very subjective. Microsoft is killing me with their Xboxy vibes. Everything they do seems so hyper targeted or market reseached for/to at 15 year old american boys. And even in that kind of Teenage Sector Sony seems to do it way better (Horizon 2, Spider Man Miles Morales).

there's something so depressingly generic about all of what they've shown, it's really a bummer because I hoped with all the new studios and money spend they would also add something to gaming that's at the level of TLOU, etc. Even Starfield looks so generic to me, just some random spacey shots, where's the world or character building. there's no tension, interesting narrative being shown. I hoped for way more.

Ozzie666

B or a C+, it was pretty good. Probably Microsoft's best ever. Great pace, less talking and farting around. I don't mind a bit of developer talk, but let the games do the talking. Not all games were winners, but there was enough there. They also really drove home the GamePass message fairly well. Obviously still pretty CGI heavy and some notable missing titles. But one of the next two years, is going to be a very strong A, if they continue to cash in on this momentum.

DavidGzz

That's not hard since Sony hasn't had any conference.

Bingo. Extra salt for the fanboys to go off even more in these threads. If Sony had one and Gran Turismo looked as good as FH5, and they had a shooter as fun looking as Halo, and if those two and all the other games that were announced for Game Pass were instead announced for PS Now day 1, they would be bouncing off the walls. As a PS5 owner I would be very happy as well.

DavidGzz

What they showed of GT7 looks better than FH5 though.

Let me know when they release an open world racer not a closed circuit racer. Even so, I think FH5 looks better and way more interesting/fun. Forza Motorsports will be going head to head with that in the graphics department. I couldn't care less about those games but I enjoy graphics comparisons.

Outrunner

Let me know when they release an open world racer not a closed circuit racer. Even so, I think FH5 looks better and way more interesting/fun. Forza Motorsports will be going head to head with that in the graphics department. I couldn't care less about those games but I enjoy graphics comparisons.

I don't disagree, but I do think people are overblowing FH5 graphical achievements. Compared to a last gen Xbox One game? Yeah it looks insane. Compared to what we've see so far on the new consoles? It looks like expected. GT7 trailler showed a lot more detail put into the car models and a lot more RTX effects than the ones shown on FH5. But we will see when the games come out and go head on head against each other.

DavidGzz

I feel like people freak out about graphics when it's what we expect. We expect a lot out of PS5 and XSX so getting a racer that lines up with those expectations is awesome. People expected a lot from Horizon on PS5 since the PS4 game looked awesome and Guerilla delivered. Hype gets to people, of course, but I can't blame them. I'm excited about it since I love me some Mexico since I grew up there for much of my childhood and it looks amazing. It will be quite diverse, I'm sure.

C, this was the best Xbox conference ms ever had. Unfortunately that doesn’t say much. It’s still pretty terrible. I don’t get why people get so hyped about the massive amounts of games coming to gamepass if you take into consideration the quality of the games. Also only Forza looked good, but it shows that it’s a cross gen title with all the pop in and no ray tracing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I voted a c but would say it was somewhere between a B- or C+.

Can´t lie... I was excited about the show. What I liked:

- Forza looks fantastic (only real next-gen game. of the show I would say)
- STALKER looks sick (hope the 3 months exclusivity is correct and it will launch directly on the PS5)
- HALO looks better but Is this really it? Xbox´s big system seller looks like a cross-gen game at best. Ratched just showed us what a true technical marvel first-party games should be...
- Starfield piqued my interest but I can´t say I´m hyped yet.

That being said: What the fuck Microsoft? This was an easy home run and THE chance to show people what true next-gen looks like and that's all you got? I mean I understand that most of the bought Studios are just in pre-production for their new games... but you gotta give the people a little bit more.

I keep looking for a reason to buy a series s... so far xbox hat not given me one.

Forza Horizon 5 - Is crossgen.
Halo - looks like a crossgen game because its a crossgen game that runs at 120fps.
They didnt show too many first party nextgen titles because their first parties are early in dev of nextgen titles or their titles are crossgen.
Which studio did you think would have a pure nextgen title ready to show, as in its releasing this year or before E3 next year?
NT is migrating Senua and Mara to UE5 as we speak.
Rare are still early in Everwild.
Fable likely doesnt even have one full environment yet.

MS told us a long time ago their true nextgen starts in 2022....none of that "we believe in generations" shit.
So E3 2022 is likely when nextgen only titles will be shown, for now the XB1X is still being supported.

DavidGzz

Shit looks real and it's not recreating a track and some trees on the side, it's their largest open world. How is a cross gen game doing this? What will FH6 look like?

Last edited:

Buhaj

Not great, not terrible. Sony E3 2016 show made me switch from the Xbox One to PS4, I was waiting for a conference that could make me at least buy a Series X, but nothing like happened. Only Forza Horizon 5 made an impression to me. On a side note - is Halo so big in the US? To me it looks like a generic sci-fi shooter, but Xbox is pushing the Halo/Gears of War duo for years, I think to the detriment of many potential users that are looking for something different.

shubik

Forza Horizon 5 - Is crossgen.
Halo - looks like a crossgen game because its a crossgen game that runs at 120fps.
They didnt show too many first party nextgen titles because their first parties are early in dev of nextgen titles or their titles are crossgen.
Which studio did you think would have a pure nextgen title ready to show, as in its releasing this year or before E3 next year?
NT is migrating Senua and Mara to UE5 as we speak.
Rare are still early in Everwild.
Fable likely doesnt even have one full environment yet.

MS told us a long time ago their true nextgen starts in 2022....none of that "we believe in generations" shit.
So E3 2022 is likely when nextgen only titles will be shown, for now the XB1X is still being supported.

- I´m pretty sure they specifically said that Horizon is next-gen only.
- I thought we would see Senua and a little teaser for perfect dark to be honest. Plus new IP
- and regarding "we believe in generations": I don´t know about you but I just played an hour of Ratchet and Clank and this shit is the definition of "next-gen" :)

Reactions: Rea

Stare-Bear

Banned
It was good. But when you boast having 25+ first party studios, most of whom haven’t shown anything for the past 5 years, this was a poor showing.

Forza looks good tho, can’t wait to play it on the PC

engstra

Have to say, the Outer Worlds 2 trailer might be the worst trailer I've ever seen. Trying to aggressively break the fourth wall and be funny while basically saying we have nothing to show you yet

shubik

Have to say, the Outer Worlds 2 trailer might be the worst trailer I've ever seen. Trying to aggressively break the fourth wall and be funny while basically saying we have nothing to show you yet

I thought it was charming and honest. I mean it was just that. An announcement that they work on a new title. Better than showing some CGI trailer that has nothing to do with the actual game.

Black_Stride

- I´m pretty sure they specifically said that Horizon is next-gen only.
- I thought we would see Senua and a little teaser for perfect dark to be honest. Plus new IP
- and regarding "we believe in generations": I don´t know about you but I just played an hour of Ratchet and Clank and this shit is the definition of "next-gen" :)
knmJWik.png

Senua is still a ways out.
UE5 even for internal studios likely only just hit a near production quality version.
Cant really ship or really show off a game in an incomplete engine.

Perfect Dark probably only has concept art and whitebox arenas ready....nothing really to show, and if they gave us another CGI traler half the internet would bitch about it so rather be silent and show whats ready next year.

shubik

knmJWik.png

Senua is still a ways out.
UE5 even for internal studios likely only just hit a near production quality version.
Cant really ship or really show off a game in an incomplete engine.

Perfect Dark probably only has concept art and whitebox arenas ready....nothing really to show, and if they gave us another CGI traler half the internet would bitch about it so rather be silent and show whats ready next year.

Thx for the screenshot. I was really sure it is next gen only. Still looks incredible though!

John Wick

Pretty amazing, Starfield looked something special, classic Halo multiplayer at 120fps and Forza Horizon 5 along with Flight Simulator raised the console graphical bar.
The fact I've got Gamepass Ultimate until 2024 and haven't got to pay any extra for all that is mind blowing.
Starfield looked amazing from what? An in engine trailer at best? Still no gameplay shown.....
They had Halo, Forza and Flight Sim which were expected....
The likes of Battlefield were multipats.......
They showed CGI for games like usual which means shit........ Until we see the actual gameplay. Remember Everwild???? Amazing CGI but worthless because even the developer didn't even know what game it was lol......
It's funny how HFW, GOW and GT7 are going to be held back by crossgen but FH5 isn't????
Just about everybody and their dog have GP subbed for the next 3 years. It's a no brainer...

Last edited:

engstra

I thought it was charming and honest. I mean it was just that. An announcement that they work on a new title. Better than showing some CGI trailer that has nothing to do with the actual game.
It was definitely honest but too honest. Trailers are meant to build hype for a game but this one took the chance to deflate hype at every possibility

Black_Stride

But it’s prettt clear now they’re moving away from hardware. It felt like the gamepass event, not Xbox series x

Pretty much....and its glorious.

Pretty much everything on the Play day on this year list is something I want to play.
Im basically sorted for games this year and wont have to spend another dollar.
Only Battlefield and if God of War was this year were gonna get my dollars.
Im going to have a hard time being bored this year.
Hopefully next year they can start pumping out the true nextgen stuff as well.
E3yL_78UcAQrt7e

reksveks

It's funny how HFW, GOW and GT7 are going to be held back by crossgen but FH5 isn't????
Just about everybody and their dog have GP subbed for the next 3 years. It's a no brainer...
I don't know if the people complaining about cross gen on Sony games are the generally the same people not complaining about FH5. It feels like primarily Sony fans in the first case and xbox fans in the latter.

Also given the only 23m have gamepass clearly there is room for expansion

reksveks

But it’s prettt clear now they’re moving away from hardware. It felt like the gamepass event, not Xbox series x
I like Play Anywhere, it's great and GamePass is just that a version of that. Your games shouldn't have to be locked down to a single hardware sku. There are pro's and con's but generally more pro's.

I will be playing forza horizon on my PC gladly.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Solid B.

I wanted more on Starfield but I'm glad we aren't just looking at some blank landscape and the side of some ship like object anymore.

I wanted more in depth multiplayer walkthrough with Halo.

Some of the new games they showed, especially Stalker was insane. Atomic Heart looked really good and Forza Horizon 5...Jesus.

Redfall was announced, but no gameplay so I wouldn't have ended with that.

Relativ9

I'll give it a C, I'm excited for Forza Horizon 5, The Ascent, Stalker 2, Replaced, Battlefield 2042, Back 4 Blood, and Halo looked okey. I'd still give it a C though cause a lot of those are multi-platform games and the vast majority of the other stuff they showed didn't excite me at all or have too little info/gameplay to care about (Starfield could be amazing but it's impossible to tell). That said, getting Gamepass is starting to look like a no-brainer even though I'm going to play them all on PC.

Top Bottom