• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

netguy503

If you're talking about actual "I have my receipt, give me my money back" returns you're going to get burned. Best Buy keeps track of returns...they can and will ban you from returns and revoke your GCU/rewards account if you abuse the return policy.

I don't see how that's even possible with opened games though, unless you lie and claim it doesn't work.

well the game on PS4 is $60 not $50 so of course I meant rushing to beat it so i could use it for max trade in value fodder and use it as a cheap rental/plat. But $50 is more than enough to get a brand new PS4 game I actually want to keep( Until Dawn, Metal Gear) without having to pay anything (and getting those $10 I spent on Jurassic World back with reward certs from the Metal Gear promotion) so I'm good with that. :)

well the game on PS4 is $60 not $50 so of course I meant rushing to beat it so i could use it for max trade in value fodder and use it as a cheap rental/plat. But $50 is more than enough to get a brand new PS4 game I actually want to keep( Until Dawn, Metal Gear) without having to pay anything (and getting those $10 I spent on Jurassic World back with reward certs from the Metal Gear promotion) so I'm good with that. :)

Yep, that's the way to do it if you don't care about owning the games after beating them. Just making sure.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition is on the $10 list now. I think it's the first time a $40 game has been on the list. Comes out to like $22 for the game with GCU and the points.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have experience with the Best Buy credit card? I'm curious how the points work along with GCU, might be worth it just go use for game purchases.

Does anyone have experience with the Best Buy credit card? I'm curious how the points work along with GCU, might be worth it just go use for game purchases.

Totally worth it. It comes out to 7% back on games, which is a better deal than you'd get basically anywhere else, even without the 20% off up front.

This isn't GCU related, but I picked up an Xbox One 500 Gig Master Chief Collection bundle today from Best Buy since they were offering a free $50 gift card and a free second controller. There was also an AMEX offer for a $25 statement credit for any Best Buy purchase over $250 and I had $60 in Best Buy gift cards laying around from earlier promotions (buy this game, get a $10 gift card).

All together everything was $290 and I'll use the $50 gift card to pick up Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive with GCU discount.

I'm spinning this in my head as spending $265 for a 500 gig Xbox One with two controllers, MCC, Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive.

Boogiepop

Okay guys, someone please help me puzzle this out if you can:

Best Buy just sent me a $5 thing for not buying anything from them for a bit, with the caveat that it need to be used in store (it's got a barcode for the cashier). It expires like a day after the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake comes out, which is the only thing out soon enough that I'm interested in, and I was actually thinking I'd pick it up. However, there's like no way I trust them to happen to have copies of that niche a game on store shelves on release day that I can just walk in. And trying to preorder for in-store pickup online requires you to pay for it then...

Is there any good way to handle this? Like, can I go into the store and have someone help preorder there and use the code or something?

Okay guys, someone please help me puzzle this out if you can:

Best Buy just sent me a $5 thing for not buying anything from them for a bit, with the caveat that it need to be used in store (it's got a barcode for the cashier). It expires like a day after the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake comes out, which is the only thing out soon enough that I'm interested in, and I was actually thinking I'd pick it up. However, there's like no way I trust them to happen to have copies of that niche a game on store shelves on release day that I can just walk in. And trying to preorder for in-store pickup online requires you to pay for it then...

Is there any good way to handle this? Like, can I go into the store and have someone help preorder there and use the code or something?

They do have those pre-order kiosks in store. I know people have had very mixed luck with the game actually showing up in store, but that's probably your only option. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

I also got a $5 thing but it expires at the end of this month. Because BB doesn't charge until you pick up, it means I can't preorder anything that doesn't release before the end of the month?

You can lock in the reward dollars.

By preordering something online, right? Because I did that a few days ago and I still had that reward certificate a day after, but I just checked it right now and I have $0 in rewards and my preorder is still there with the $5 discount.

I guess it takes them a while to update your reward dollar amount.

malfcn

By preordering something online, right? Because I did that a few days ago and I still had that reward certificate a day after, but I just checked it right now and I have $0 in rewards and my preorder is still there with the $5 discount.

I guess it takes them a while to update your reward dollar amount.

There is some processing time. I've had $30 expiring before, put it on a preorder and have had the $30 show as available on one screen, but not another for about 10 minutes. It works itself out eventually.

Boogiepop

They do have those pre-order kiosks in store. I know people have had very mixed luck with the game actually showing up in store, but that's probably your only option. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
It was a bit of a runaround and required me to go to the store twice, but this did indeed work out. Thanks!

I'm sorry if this was asked to death already, but if I pre-order MGS on bb.com, so I still get the $10 rewards? Or do I need to do it in the store?

Got a question on how the discount works.

I know if you do Buy 2, Get 1 Free, you get the 20% off on all games. Does the discount not work on sales like buy a specific game, get $20 off these select games? To be more specific, they have a sale this week that if you buy Super Mario Maker, you can get $20 off Splatoon. With GCU, I was expecting to pay $80 for both ($48 for Mario Maker, $40 - $8 for Splatoon), but that's not what came up at check out. I got the discount on Mario Maker, but Splatoon was only $40.

I've had GCU for ages, but haven't used it once. I wish there was a way to have this apply to digital games. I just don't like driving out of my way to go to a b&m store anymore.

Hazmat

I'm curious how long it takes for the $10 preorder credit to appear on your account. I preordered MGS5 a while back and picked it up on Tuesday, but haven't gotten the credit yet. Is that normal?

I've had GCU for ages, but haven't used it once. I wish there was a way to have this apply to digital games. I just don't like driving out of my way to go to a b&m store anymore.

Why not get them shipped to you?

I'm curious how long it takes for the $10 preorder credit to appear on your account. I preordered MGS5 a while back and picked it up on Tuesday, but haven't gotten the credit yet. Is that normal?

I believe it's supposed to be 15 days after. After the return policy so you don't get a free certificate by returning the game after you get it. Surprisingly, I got mine already though.

Is this still $120? Considering it but will wait for a repeat of that $30 deal I think.

Edit: Ooooh, it's only $30 now. That permanent? ..and should I be extra greedy if so and hope for a even better deal? How low has this been in the past?

Jafku

Is this still $120? Considering it but will wait for a repeat of that $30 deal I think.

Edit: Ooooh, it's only $30 now. That permanent? ..and should I be extra greedy if so and hope for a even better deal? How low has this been in the past?
Yes

It doesn't like to appear right away. But typically it takes 15 days for your points to show up, and that likes to show up around that time saying 'victory can be preordered' or something like that.

Cth

I used to buy a lot at BB, had a Silver membership or something..

.. I hatehatehated the whole Gamer magazine thing, as I hated to pay for something to get coupons/deals.

So when GCU launched at $120 I scoffed big time..

Cut to today, when I price matched Until Dawn and turned that $25 into a GCU ($30 for 2 years isn't bad) and traded in Until Dawn for even more credit. So, I pre-ordered Battlefront II today (collectors edition which with the discount is pretty much what I'm used to paying for games) and I'm getting $10 in certificates on top of it.

So, by the time the game comes out, I can use the $10 GC on the pre-order on top of the 20%.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this once it dropped to $30 now :D

I also got a $5 thing but it expires at the end of this month. Because BB doesn't charge until you pick up, it means I can't preorder anything that doesn't release before the end of the month?

You can use it. The minimum for a preorder is $5. You can use your 5$ certificate and it will work just like cash down.

Jeremy

Anyone know how long it takes for Best Buy to receive a game using their provided free shipping? I got Until Dawn for $32 last week and went ahead and locked in a trade-in for $32. I have seven days left to send it in and was wondering if it will make it in time. If not I'd rather just use my own postage to guarantee it will be there on time.

Nevermind, UPS offers an estimate on their website of about 3 days from where I'm located. I'm still stuck in the world where shipping takes weeks.

spyder_ur

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I joined GCU about a week ago - finally activated it after having purchased it with MGSV (as an aside it's super annoying that you have to activate in store). I've got a couple questions.

-How long does it take for point to show up? I have points that show as pending from October 29? I traded in a bunch of games in store, about $65 worth, yesterday and nothing is showing from that, either.
-I've heard people say they have gotten some welcome coupons - I haven't gotten any.
-Similarly, when do you receive the $10 reward cert for preordering? When the game is shipped/picked up?

The cycle of trading back in games seems like a really good value if you plan on preordering new games.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I joined GCU about a week ago - finally activated it after having purchased it with MGSV (as an aside it's super annoying that you have to activate in store). I've got a couple questions.

-How long does it take for point to show up? I have points that show as pending from October 29? I traded in a bunch of games in store, about $65 worth, yesterday and nothing is showing from that, either.
-I've heard people say they have gotten some welcome coupons - I haven't gotten any.
-Similarly, when do you receive the $10 reward cert for preordering? When the game is shipped/picked up?

The cycle of trading back in games seems like a really good value if you plan on preordering new games.
I believe 30 days after shipping/pickup, after the return policy has expired (they don't want you getting $10 and then returning the game.)

I've got a couple questions.

- It takes about 15 days for points to become available up but they typically do before 15 days. If 15 days pass, email Best Buy and they'll fix it. I've only had this happen to me once and it was because I somehow had 2 accounts linked to the same email and the points went to the other account.

- I remember getting a welcome coupon maybe a few days after joining but it was like 10% off a used game or something, didn't use it.

I can't answer your 3rd question though, I've never bought a game that was apart of that promotion.

spyder_ur

I believe 30 days after shipping/pickup, after the return policy has expired (they don't want you getting $10 and then returning the game.)

- It takes about 15 days for points to become available up but they typically do before 15 days. If 15 days pass, email Best Buy and they'll fix it. I've only had this happen to me once and it was because I somehow had 2 accounts linked to the same email and the points went to the other account.

- I remember getting a welcome coupon maybe a few days after joining but it was like 10% off a used game or something, didn't use it.

I can't answer your 3rd question though, I've never bought a game that was apart of that promotion.

Thanks to you both, makes sense on the certs. sorry Neuro I'm the mayor of Boston. Sumahville too.

Lrrr

No. All pre-order certificates are issued only after the return period for the game has expired - which is approximately 15 days.

No. All pre-order certificates are issued only after the return period for the game has expired - which is approximately 15 days.

What happens if you're an Elite member who has a 30 day window and you use the certificate and then return the game?

probably refund you using a gift card? at least that's been my experience with most stores when using some kind of store credit.

Oh no that's not what I meant. I mean you preorder a game that gives you a $10 certificate. You then use the certificate to buy something else and then return the game you paid full price for. In short, it sounds like you get a free $10 certificate.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Oh no that's not what I meant. I mean you preorder a game that gives you a $10 certificate. You then use the certificate to buy something else and then return the game you paid full price for. In short, it sounds like you get a free $10 certificate.

oh...lol...well then. someone over at cag or slickdeals might be able to answer that one.

jamsy

Can someone fill me in on one thing?

So you get rewards for spending money with the GCU. How many points do you get for every dollar spent? What are the rewards levels?

I can't find this stuff anywhere on their website...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone fill me in on one thing?

So you get rewards for spending money with the GCU. How many points do you get for every dollar spent? What are the rewards levels?

I can't find this stuff anywhere on their website...

You normally get 1 point per dollar. Gamers Club (even the free one) gives you 2 points per dollar. 50 points work out to be a dollar, and you can get reward certs at $5, $10, or $20 intervals I think.

This also stacks with Best Buy's credit card points bonus (2.5x points), but I don't know how the stacking works.

Also, games bought with gift cards don't get any points.

Edit: for stacking, it looks like that should be 3.5 points per dollar (1 base point + 1 GCU bonus + 1.5 credit card bonus).

jamsy

You normally get 1 point per dollar. Gamers Club (even the free one) gives you 2.5 points per dollar. 50 points work out to be a dollar, and you can get reward certs at $5, $10, or $20 intervals I think.

This also stacks with Best Buy's credit card points bonus (2x points), but I don't know how the stacking works.

Also, games bought with gift cards don't get any points.

So you need to spend $250 to get $5 off? That's not a great deal...

charpunk

What happens if you're an Elite member who has a 30 day window and you use the certificate and then return the game?

Majority of time the points for each transaction are put in a pending status until your return period is up then the points can be issued to a certificate to prevent such a thing.

Sometimes the gamers club $10 bonus certs get issued quicker than they are supposed to.

It's just a Cashback bonus. Better than you'll get anywhere else. Why are you viewing that in a vacuum?

The actual draw of GCU is 20% off new games.

And the $10 gift certs for preorders on bigger games, 10% off used games, etc.

I'll say this: It's the only way I buy games at retail anymore. The program is that good.

Top Bottom