• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Don't buy a PlayStation — Save money on the PC versions of Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others instead

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean, what they are saying is not wrong, it's just wrong to say it.
It's the framing, as well as who it's coming from. Xbox has no exclusives either as everything can be played on PC. Nintendo arguably since everything they make can be emulated on PC. Yet they singled out Playstation who has the least games available on PC and takes the longest to port them. It's to attack the console opposition. They need fucking websites to write articles to promote their failing brand. It's pathetic

Not to mention, "windows central". There would be more benefit of the doubt had this come from an unbiased or Playstation centric website but from a Windows site that's likely heavily funded by Microsoft, you can see the moneyhat from 3 kilometers away

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
"Windows Central" says it all

Translation: buy "Microsoft" products instead of "Sony"

Really, that’s how you translate this?/
Single-player PlayStation will usually not arrive day one on PC, so there is a downside to waiting. Naturally, if what you care about is just playing games as fast as possible, then you should definitely go ahead and buy a PlayStation 5

Come on. I mean it’s kind of a stupid headline but the article itself seems accurate and unbiased. Seems like PlayStation fans are just being overly sensitive.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Any true gamer who wants these games isnt waiting 2 years for these games. With Nixxes now on board it might come down to 1 year as they catch up, but I really dont see myself waiting 1-2 years to play the latest games. Imagine if the Avengers End Game came out and you were told, oh just wait 2 years to watch it. Thats just not how this works. Hardcore gamers would always want to play these games day 1. its what makes them hardcore.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
imteresting....................not too long ago phil spencer said this................

Phil Spencer calls out Sony "They don't ship their games day and date on PC, they don't put their games into subscription when they launch their games. There has really only been one major opposer to the deal, and it's Sony."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hating Barack Obama GIF by Obama

kaizenkko

Really, that’s how you translate this?/

Come on. I mean it’s kind of a stupid headline but the article itself seems accurate and unbiased. Seems like PlayStation fans are just being overly sensitive.
The article is not accurate. If they wanted to make a article with this theme, the right would be something like: "If you own a good PC don't buy a console". Then they can talk about PS5 games coming to PC and, and of course, all Xbox games either. But a magazine called Windows Central will not tell to people don't buy a Microsoft product, I assume.

If you don't mind waiting and have a good PC it's good advice. Same goes for Xbox but you don't even have to wait with that.

It's really not good advice because it's semi true but he's not giving you the full story. You don't mind waiting a year or two? Ghost was release in July of 2020, Ratchet and clank was 2016 but PC players get the second game first. Blood Borne in 2015. You get some of the games but you don't get everything and hell you don't even get them in release order. On top of that there is no guarantee PC players will get everything to begin with. I think it's great Sony is releasing their games on PC but their process has been a mess.

I also think PC gaming just had to many issues for me. Actually I'll say while the issues were rare taking up even 10 mins of my playtime every now and then is to much for me. I have over 20+ years working in IT. Started in helpdesk and now a sys admin. I tried to so hard to move to PC gaming but it's just a mess and I can't stand it. The amount of issues I've had with the xbox controller almost drove me crazy. Bought a whole new controller, new adapter, things worked great for a while and then boom random disconnect. The only way to get it working again? Had to uninstall the device in device manager and then let it reinstall after a reboot. Took 20mins of my play time away from me. After that incident I was done.

At the end of the day though what I learned is the best place to play games is wherever your friends are. Nothing will be better than that. I tried to move to PC mostly and only go to PS to play with my friends and it felt lonely. Even though I'm playing SP games I would chat with my friends, compare trophies, we'd talk about games we were playing since we could see what each other was playing, etc.

MikeM

You don't even have to rush. I kept my The Last of Us Part 1 copy until recently (got it on release), sold it for 35 EUR and got the PC version for ~26 EUR on a key site.

PlayStation games on PC are cheaper than on console.
TLOU on PS5 is $49.99 CAD. Same game on PC is $53.59 CAD on Steam.

Last edited:

Sybrix

But you have to wait 2 years for them to come to PC......

Personally im cool with that, been playing Spiderman MM and TLOU on PC, eagerly awaiting TLOU2 now.

The only game i'm getting a PS5 for is GTA VI, unless it comes out on PC at the same time, which i doubt.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's what I was doing forever. Wish I had waited indefinitely on Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ah yes, Sony damaged their brand so much that they can hardly keep PS5 in stock and their exclusives such as GOWR, HFW, and Spider-Man 2 are outselling their predecessors.

The PC gamers you heard from didn't care all that much about PS5 games to begin with and it's unlikely they would have shelled out $500 to play games they're willing to wait 2-3 years to play. People who really want these games buy them as soon as they can or within the year.
You would have to be blind to ignore that.
The big library of exclusives is shrinking on PS and even if those are only older games.
Maybe FF16 or HFW would push someone over the edge to get PS5 "and I will finally play bloodborne too!" But now They know they can wait

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You would have to be blind to ignore that.
The big library of exclusives is shrinking on PS and even if those are only older games.
Maybe FF16 or HFW would push someone over the edge to get PS5 "and I will finally play bloodborne too!" But now They know they can wait
Numbers disagree with your assessment. Older games tend to do much better on PC which is why Sony is porting their games there. Console sales are front-loaded and games are effectively dead after a few years. That's why you often see first-week numbers being heavily in favor of consoles but then check back after 3,4 or 5 years, and PC is often close or even above.

The brand isn't impacted except for fanboys who gives a fuck about them?

Zathalus

Numbers disagree with your assessment. Older games tend to do much better on PC which is why Sony is porting their games there. Console sales are front-loaded and games are effectively dead after a few years. That's why you often see first-week numbers being heavily in favor of consoles but then check back after 3,4 or 5 years, and PC is often close or even above.

With the rise of digital I'm not sure how true it is that console game sales are dead after a few years. Certainly the numbers that Nintendo and Sony share regarding first party shows this is no longer the case.

In the past going out and finding older games took time and sometime effort on console, now it's just a matter of 80% off on PSN and then clicking add to cart.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

that's crap what you are saying.
Of course if you get bloodborne, ff16, gt7, uncharted4 and horizon on pc, that's less reasons to get playstation. Even 10 years from now having new game that comes out + library of old exclusives to check out is A HUGE incentive to get that console.
And sony pc ports are doing shit numbers aside from maybe 2 titles.

What if I don't want to wait 2-3 years to play something?

What if it doesn't come to pc (Gran Turismo, Killzone, Bloodborne etc...) and doesn't look like it ever will?

Personally, I think the exclusives justify the ps5 existence.

I have one for exactly that, exclusives, and use my pc for everything else.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

What if it doesn't come to pc (Gran Turismo, Killzone, Bloodborne etc...) and doesn't look like it ever will?

Exactly (although I do grab a few multiplats on PS5 from time-to-time).

Gaiff

that's crap what you are saying.
Oh, fuck off. The numbers say you're full of shit.
Of course if you get bloodborne, ff16, gt7, uncharted4 and horizon on pc, that's less reasons to get playstation. Even 10 years from now having new game that comes out + library of old exclusives to check out is A HUGE incentive to get that console.
Nobody buys consoles for 10-year old games.
And sony pc ports are doing shit numbers aside from maybe 2 titles.
Yeah, so where are those flocks of PC gamers who were holding out to buy a PS5? If there were so many of them, those numbers would be huge but they ain't because those who wanted to play those games already got a console to play them within the first year or at most two. This won't change. They won't suddenly be fine waiting 2-3 years. Nice self-ownage. If this was really hurting the brand, you'd have a shitton of PC gamers rushing to get these games but you don't because those who didn't buy them didn't give a damn about PS games in the first place.

Sony will catch a few double-dippers and a crowd who was mildly interested in their games but not enough to spend $500 on a console. Their audience isn't moving to PC, as illustrated by the huge sales numbers of PS5 and PS5 exclusives.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

From the article, also quoted in OP:
Single-player PlayStation will usually not arrive day one on PC, so there is a downside to waiting. Naturally, if what you care about is just playing games as fast as possible, then you should definitely go ahead and buy a PlayStation 5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh, fuck off. The numbers say you're full of shit.

Nobody buys consoles for 10-year old games.

Yeah, so where are those flocks of PC gamers who were holding out to buy a PS5? If there were so many of them, those numbers would be huge but they ain't because those who wanted to play those games already got a console to play them within the first year or at most two. This won't change. They won't suddenly be fine waiting 2-3 years. Nice self-ownage. If this was really hurting the brand, you'd have a shitton of PC gamers rushing to get these games but you don't because those who didn't buy them didn't give a damn about PS games in the first place.

Sony will catch a few double-dippers and a crowd who was mildly interested in their games but not enough to spend $500 on a console.
No. Nobody buys the console to play 10 years old games.
But this is a factor. You don't buy a console for 1 new game... for for 1 new games and 10 amazing old exclusives you never played? Cmon man. You cannot argue with that.
Even my 4080 pc master race friend bought ps5 just now to play gt7... but while he is at it he bought ghost of tsushima, bloodborne and so on so on.

As for the numbers? You are right. numbers don't lie and the numbers for sony pc ports are shit. Not worth the brand damage.

NickFire

I warned people this campaign would happen leading into the release of the PS5 Pro because Xbox did not have a counter to the Pro and was originally going to just release a redesigned Seres X "at the same great price of $499"

I still believe that plan has been scrapped and Xbox will jump start "next gen" much earlier than Sony's PS6
Each month this fall it has gotten harder to believe that they would invest any more resources into current generation hardware. If they could significantly drop the price of materials then maybe it'd be worth it for them I suppose, particularly with the Series S. A holiday season or two at 149 or 199 might help them pick up steam going into next generation.

I still share the belief they will launch their next generation a solid year or two before Sony as well. But I am starting to lose faith in that belief. As much as I can't wait to see Jim Ryan move on from Sony, he did successfully neuter MS's best hope for a kill shot going into next generation with the 10 year COD deal. Without the ability to make COD exclusive to their next console, I simply do not see any evidence they will have software that would make people abandon their digital libraries they will have amassed over two generations whenever MS launches their next box. Buying IP and making compelling sequels with the IP are two completely different things, only one of which they have really excelled at.

Second reason I am losing faith is the article being discussed in this thread. I have no doubt there are sometimes hot takes from their flock of evangelicals that take flight without MS having anything to do with them. But there also seem to be patterns at times. You could easily convince me this article is either fanboy drivel or the new talking point. After the recent news regarding market share, "Screw console and get a PC" might be the next evolution of championing a power delta, best value in gaming, let them compete, and engagement.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only thing it damages is the ego of fanboys. It makes Sony extra cash which then goes into more woke wonders. It's good for everyone (well.. everyone that matters)
Only ports that sold something are god of war and horizon. tlou maybe a bit.
Uncharted, returnal, sackboy sold shit.
And development is not free even if it's just a port.

They might've earned some buck but the brand damage is irrefutable. We are talking about it. peopole are talking about it and are willing to wait for games like ff16 or ghost of tsushima to come to pc. fact

Gaiff

No. Nobody buys the console to play 10 years old games.
But this is a factor. You don't buy a console for 1 new game... for for 1 new games and 10 amazing old exclusives you never played? Cmon man. You cannot argue with that.
Even my 4080 pc master race friend bought ps5 just now to play gt7... but while he is at it he bought ghost of tsushima, bloodborne and so on so on.
Do you even read WTF you're typing? You keep answering your own questions. Your friend bought a PS5...and a bunch of Sony games and despite having a high-end rig, he isn't willing to wait. So who exactly is Sony hurting if even PCMR aren't willing to wait 2+ years to play their games?
As for the numbers? You are right. numbers don't lie and the numbers for sony pc ports are shit.
Yeah, so if they're shit who are they hurting lol? Clearly, no one is ditching their Playstation and waiting 2 years for the PC version and the PS5 numbers are as strong as ever so who is losing here lmao?
Not worth the brand damage.
Once again, what brand damage? Sonny cannot keep up with stocks and their games are selling better than ever. Where is the damage being done? In the heart of fanboys?

Last edited:

FrankWza

The only thing it damages is the ego of fanboys. It makes Sony extra cash which then goes into more woke wonders. It's good for everyone (well.. everyone that matters)
You're just going to ignore the topic while throwing shots?
I guess you don't matter because you seem damaged by their games.

Senua

They might've earned some buck but the brand damage is irrefutable. We are talking about it. peopole are talking about it and are willing to wait for games like ff16 or ghost of tsushima to come to pc. fact
Lol those people wouldn't have bought a PS5 anyway most likely for just a couple games. PC gamers and console gamers just like different kinds of games in general. Look at the top games on steam and compare them to the most popular console games. Sony ports are a nice bonus

You're just going to ignore the topic while throwing shots?
I guess you don't matter because you seem damaged by their games.
What are you blathering about?

Last edited:
Top Bottom