• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Don't buy a PlayStation — Save money on the PC versions of Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others instead

Topher

Gold Member
Yes most people are weak willed, lack discipline, impulse driven and are susceptible to FOMO; you're not saying anything new here.
I can wait just fine until these superior versions of the games are at a price point I feel they are worth.

Plenty of other reasons why folks may not wait. Perhaps they want to buy physical for their collection or resell it later. Or they want to use their Gamefly rental service and not have to buy the game at all. Or they want to do some platinum trophy hunting on their PS.

All of those reasons have applied to me at some point or another.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
All we know in this industry, which is only around 50 years old, is that one company has attempted this day one on PC strategy. This article represents where that company, backed buy a corporate behemoth, has ended up. So, it can easily be argued there are people rooting for Sony to send Playstation down the same path. They are not backed by a behemoth and would end up out of business.
So you think this is all part of a conspiracy to get Sony to release all their games on PC day 1? And that this would somehow make them unable to compete with MS, thus causing them to go out of business? I’m having a hard time following this logic.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Take your own advice clown and stop quoting me with bullshit.
Nah, my advice doesn't apply to me because I'm not bursting blood vessels over a simple disagreement.

Besides, what I said was fact — most people aren't waiting to buy the games. That's.....verifiable. You doing the opposite is fine, but doesn't negate that. It's not an attack on you personally. It's reality. Many more people are choosing not to wait.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Nah, my advice doesn't apply to me because I'm not bursting blood vessels over a simple disagreement.
Nobody here is, but of course you would think so after being called out on your obvious, irrelevant bullshit, now kindly fuck off and stop quoting me and move on with your life.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nobody here is, but of course you would think so after being called out on your obvious, irrelevant bullshit, now kindly fuck off and stop quoting me and move on with your life.
Irrelevant? Nope. This has been an on topic discussion! (y)

And, you're on a discussion board, my friend. You could just as easily choose to not reply if that's where we're at.

tommib

Stop Fighting Sofia Vergara GIF by Kids' Choice Awards

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Irrelevant? Nope. This has been an on topic discussion! (y)
How?
How is your nonsense about "playstation records", and "doorknobs and shills" in any way, shape or form relevant to my post? How did you become so triggered by me saying that I can happily wait that you had to bust out the warrior bullshit?

Keep posting this clown shit.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
How?
How is your nonsense about "playstation records", and "doorknobs and shills" in any way, shape or form relevant to my post?
The topic is WindowsCentral telling people to skip getting games on PlayStation as they eventually come to PC. It's relevant to your post because you said "it's true" (unless I'm mistaken, which is cool and I'll eat that). Otherwise, I disagreed with the idea and explained why (across multiple posts, not just the first). And yes, I called out WindowsCentral.

So, what's the issue with just agreeing to disagree?

Last edited:

Senua

Once again ignoring the cautionary tale this article represents. However you have to do it, you just need to make sure you don't end up here as a company. Selling your ass on the corner is a bad look. Worse than whatever pretend label you want to put on their games and brand.
Xbox hasn't failed because its games are also on PC, its failing because their games haven't been good enough for a decade and counting

So you think this is all part of a conspiracy to get Sony to release all their games on PC day 1? And that this would somehow make them unable to compete with MS, thus causing them to go out of business? I’m having a hard time following this logic.
You won't find logic in the illogical. It's just another typical insecure warrior argument that infests this and many other a forum.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It’s 16.49 EUR on Steam right now. Why people even attempt to counter argument something so obvious like the fact that games are cheaper on PC?

That's not a given. I've seen numerous games where I could have gotten the physical PS5 release for a lower price than the PC version on key stores.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That's not a given. I've seen numerous games where I could have gotten the physical PS5 release for a lower price than the PC version on key stores.

Yes, there are exceptions. The most recent one I've seen is Calisto Protocol PS5 physical brand new for 5 EUR. But these are rare. Games are much, much cheaper on PC.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Unfazed by being proved wrong you just keep saying the same thing.

My man, you have a problem. I've said games on PC are 'almost always' cheaper. Because that's the reality. What, you want me to fill in a fucking Excel spreadsheet and do a graph for you? :messenger_grinning_sweat: Are there exceptions? Of course. Are games on PC way, way cheaper? 100 percent. Just relax, you don't have to be always right.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yes, there are exceptions. The most recent one I've seen is Calisto Protocol PS5 physical brand new for 5 EUR. But these are rare. Games are much, much cheaper on PC.

It's absolutely true when you're comparing the PS online store with the multitude of PC key stores. Prices on Sony's store are outrageously high. Physical PS5 game releases are the exception, especially when they become sales failures, then the prices can fall off a cliff at surprising speed.

Last edited:
There’s a infantile arrogance about that guy, these disingenuous narratives he pushes. I remember when Starfield was delayed the second time he immediately went for the “backlog” routine. He knows people can see through the bullshit but continues to act this way regardless. It’s why as a Xbox guy I don’t like him and others of his ilk when it comes to Xbox media as they are shameless with their lack of sincerity and integrity.

Elysium44

Banned
My man, you have a problem. I've said games on PC are 'almost always' cheaper. Because that's the reality. What, you want me to fill in a fucking Excel spreadsheet and do a graph for you? :messenger_grinning_sweat: Are there exceptions? Of course. Are games on PC way, way cheaper? 100 percent. Just relax, you don't have to be always right.

PlayStation games on PC are cheaper than on console.

Games are much, much cheaper on PC.

You also keep repeating that they are always cheaper, and you just did it again - 'Are games on PC way, way cheaper? 100 percent.'

There are loads of cases where games are cheaper on the PSN or Xbox stores. Especially for PlayStation ports which come to PC years later and Sony charges top dollar like it's a brand new game. Why you keep saying something demonstrably untrue over and over again, I'm not sure. What do you think it proves?

Last edited:

Codes 208

There's 80, you're exaggerating.
I mean it has windows in the name, how is this not a biased source in general?

Its not like if Nintendo power were still around, they would openly want people to buy games on ps5 either

How is this even an argument?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You also keep repeating that they are always cheaper, and you just did it again - 'Are games on PC way, way cheaper? 100 percent.'

There are loads of cases where games are cheaper on the PSN or Xbox stores. Especially for PlayStation ports which come to PC years later and Sony charges top dollar like it's a brand new game. Why you keep saying something demonstrably untrue over and over again, I'm not sure. What do you think it proves?

GAMES. Games in general. Take 1000 titles and compare prices, calculate averages and it will be cheaper on PC. I'm not saying all games, every game, all the time.

OK, I'm done with you. What a waste of time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Elysium44

Banned
GAMES. Games in general. Take 1000 titles and compare prices, calculate averages and it will be cheaper on PC. I'm not saying all games, every game, all the time.

OK, I'm done with you. What a waste of time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

We're talking in this thread about Sony ports, they come to PC costing more than they were previously available for on PSN. Just jumping into the thread with an unequivocal 'PC games are always cheaper' argument thus makes no sense. Bye.

SHA

I mean it has windows in the name, how is this not a biased source in general?

Its not like if Nintendo power were still around, they would openly want people to buy games on ps5 either

How is this even an argument?
There's demographic who don't want to look on the negative side of news, they're just in the 3rd place, it's not like Honda or Mazda as some websites make it seem.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's relevant to your post
Your post was filled with nothing but warrior arguments. First you couldn't resist hitting me with the "aCkChYuAlLy" for something that winds up to be mostly subjective anyway, and then you start talking about numbers like a crazy person, and then you felt compelled to close it off with insulting anyone who agreed with the article and thus disagreeing with you.

None of that shit is relevant to me addressing the need to play right away and how I can happily wait, literally none of it; you could've posted your warrior trash without quoting anyone even, but you got so triggered by whatever you thought I said, that all rational thought left your clown brain, and now here we are. Topher managed to keep it relevant, but he's not a warrior🤷

FrankWza

No. Im saying that one company has tried this strategy. This is what they are now subjected to. Many people do not want Playstation to end up there so they would prefer to keep things successful. On the other hand, certain people do want that because they don't care about their full catalog and ecosystem. It's much much easier to not care about console sales when you always come in a distant third out three in console sales.
Xbox hasn't failed because its games are also on PC, its failing because their games haven't been good enough for a decade and counting
Xbox hasn't failed financially because they are backed by microsoft. Otherwise they'd have been out of the console business years ago.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Your post was filled with nothing but warrior arguments. First you couldn't resist hitting me with the "aCkChYuAlLy" for something that winds up to be mostly subjective anyway, and then you start talking about numbers like a crazy person, and then you felt compelled to close it off with insulting anyone who agreed with the article and thus disagreeing with you.

None of that shit is relevant to me addressing the need to play right away and how I can happily wait, literally none of it; you could've posted your warrior trash without quoting anyone even, but you got so triggered by whatever you thought I said, that all rational thought left your clown brain, and now here we are. Topher managed to keep it relevant, but he's not a warrior🤷
Okay bro. You can keep that energy, but I simply challenged what you said (which wasn't subjective — less folks wait than splurge). All good if you disagree!

I do agree about Topher, though. Good dude! (y)

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Even then 2 years is just an estimate there's no guarantee. Sony is purposely keeping it vague. There's no guarantee the game will ever come. Ghost has been out way longer than 2 years. So has Blood Borne.
This is just bizarre to me. I'm thinking Sony is porting games like Uncharted, Sackboy, or Returnal to gauge interest and now that they failed hardcore, they know not to port them in the future. Games like GOT, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are slam dunks but Sony is being coy with them. Very strange.

Yes, so they're doing just fine. Next question please.

And there never will be proof because it's fanboy nonsense.

maxresdefault.jpg

spencerkf.jpg

Sad Guy Phil™ says otherwise.

You mean the same Xbox brand that started Day 1 on PC to actually broaden their customer base because Xbox was failing miserably BEFORE the ports even started? The PC ports were a solution to their falling business, not a symptom or cause.

They were doing better with XBO prior to Day 1 PC, than they are doing today with Xbox Series. And that's an undeniable fact if you excuse all the lifelines the division has gotten through M&As of giant publishers and IP like Minecraft.

MS basically calculated that since Xbox meant so little to their bottom line, what did it matter if they had their players drop the console and go to PC? They still own the PC platform when it comes to gaming, even if Valve has the biggest storefront in Steam. Those gamers still need Windows, and Windows is way more important to Microsoft than Xbox.

That's why Microsoft had no issue doing Day 1 on PC. "Broadening" their base isn't quite accurate. It's more like, they bled a lot of their core console base and didn't have the content or value to bring them back to Xbox, so they chased them where they ran off to (PC). Which luckily for Microsoft, isn't too much a loss because they still effectively own that platform through Windows.

Who is "we"? You're a Sony exec with enough pull to influence their decisions?

We're fans of the brand, who want it to prosper, but not compromise itself with cannibalizing business moves. We also don't want them to become a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none brand where focus is split between too many avenues and they can't excel at core things.

I've personally already seen this happen with Sega, and we've been watching it happen with Microsoft in real-time. It's also happened to other platform holders like Atari. Whether big or small, they're all vulnerable to that type of mistake, and I don't want Sony to fall into that trap. If anything they should be taking Nintendo's approach as lead.

The customers that you lose by not porting to PC are more numerous than the ones you'd lose by not porting games to PC. Both Sony and Microsoft realized that.

🤣 Then where are those Rift Apart PC sales? Or Returnal, for that matter? Even TLOU Remake underperformed on PC. And a lot of Microsoft's games aren't doing so hot on PC right now, such as Starfield and RedFall, or Forza Motorsport. Even releases like HiFi Rush, Pentiment, etc. didn't really light the charts up. Sea of Thieves does decently, but that's kind of it.

So yeah uh, very big money for Sony to chase there copying that I guess 😂

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We're fans of the brand, who want it to prosper, but not compromise itself with cannibalizing business moves. We also don't want them to become a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none brand where focus is split between too many avenues and they can't excel at core things.
No, you're a fanboy who's upset his precious exclusives are now playable on a different platform despite sales numbers indicating that this has in no way been detrimental to the Playstation brand. You also admitted that you don't have fiscal data to back up any of your claims and then tried to bullshit your way by foolishly using Xbox as an example and made some shit up about them doing worse after porting their games to PC when once again, you have nothing to back you up.

Either come up with real hard evidence or stop your fanboy drivel. The PS brand is doing amazingly, even with PC ports. That your fanboy pussy hurts from that is none of Sony's concern.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. Im saying that one company has tried this strategy. This is what they are now subjected to. Many people do not want Playstation to end up there so they would prefer to keep things successful.

This. Anyone who has been following the industry knows Xbox One actually kept pace with the PS4 for the first few years until phil started porting games to PC and then the sales nose dived. People had no reason to buy the Xbox and invested in PC. People today have no reason to buy the new Xbox over PC and we are seeing that reflected in really bad sales for the XS. They know this and thats why they want Sony to follow suit.

Sony in their infinite wisdom IS following suit. I dont care if its 1 year or 2 years or 3 years, they ARE diluting the brand. They are giving people an out. Especially people who are willing to wait. HFW coming out 2 years after the base game will be shown as Sony's willingness to prioritize PS5 sales, but does it? It only prioritized PS sales for those 2 years. You are basically saying fuck it to the tail end sales which are so crucial in creating larger userbases and finishing the gen strong with more revenue streams as you prepare for a lean first few years of a new gen.

This is going to blow up in Sony's face. Maybe not today but the seeds are planted. Not all will wait 2 years to play horizon but some will. And from what I can tell, nixxes being so productive means they will eventually catch up and start releasing ports on day one, or day 90 or day 180. None of my friends bought an XS this gen and we are all hardcore gamers who bought every single console every single gen. We all decided to upgrade our PCs instead. We all know Sony is eventually going to go day one. The writing is on the wall and sony can say whatever they want, but we have seen this movie play out.

hopefully, after jimbo goes, the new guy shuts down this farce and puts these support studios into helping first party games ship on PS5 instead.

Xbox hasn't failed financially because they are backed by microsoft. Otherwise they'd have been out of the console business years ago.
They also havent failed financially because they count Minecraft dollars in their overall revenue streams. They count all zenimax dollars in their gaming revenue and now will count cod dollars in their gaming revenue. All acquisitions.

You remove those acquisitions and only look at console sales, xbox store revenue, first party game sales, xbox live and gamepass subs, and they would be in big trouble.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Fuck the “PlayStation brand”. News flash: PS5 is a budget gaming PC in a box. It isn’t special. The days of consoles being built from exotic custom architectures with unique capabilities are long gone. Games are all built using game engines that scale all the way from smartphones to cutting edge PCs. Console games now have you choose between performance/quality tradeoffs, just like on PC.

PS5 is the cheapest and most convenient way for a lot of gamers to experience PlayStation games. That isn’t going to change just because those games are available on PC as well.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
We can't really compare the PC strategies of Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft first party titles release on PC the same day as Xbox. Only a handful of PS titles make it to PC, and only then it's over a year after they've already released on PS.

My PC is shite, so I happily have an Xbox series S. Great little machine and perfect for my AoE addiction, as well as being able to play other fantastic first party Microsoft games. However, if I had a decent PC then I would have never have purchased the S because I could play everything on the PC. The Xbox console would have been pointless.

However, this is a Windows Central article, which is the mouthpiece for Microsoft. It would be like Push Square publishing an article on why people shouldn't buy an Xbox. These articles aren't to be taken seriously.

Hero_Select

I mean if you have a good rig then yeah. You get higher fidelity and access to mods but that's only if you're okay waiting for them to:

A: Come out later
B: Assume the quality of the port will be as good, Sony's track record has been shoddy at times.

But if they were day and date on PC with the same quality? Then yeah, I agree.

demigod

Last edited:
Top Bottom