• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

rtcn63

I ordered a GCU membership and it still hasn't arrived after over two weeks, even though it was last seen in my city. Going to have to hit up the post office and ask if they have it, don't want to miss BF. They did email me a one-time use code because it was originally backordered, so I picked up Infamous and Killzone.

The Ummah

Banned
Got BO3 last night for $35. Used $15 in rewards points, I have $10 processing and received $10 for picking up the pre-order. GCU has been good to me this year!

So you need to spend $250 to get $5 off? That's not a great deal...

No, it's $125 with GCU since you accumulate double the points, and it's just a minor perk in addition to the 20% off. Think of it that instead of 20% off, you're getting 24% off per game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered a GCU membership and it still hasn't arrived after over two weeks, even though it was last seen in my city. Going to have to hit up the post office and ask if they have it, don't want to miss BF. They did email me a one-time use code because it was originally backordered, so I picked up Infamous and Killzone.

I don't really understand what you mean by "ordered" a membership. Can you get it online now? Because last I knew it was still in-store only to register.

You shouldn't need to wait for anything either. You get a paper card for it, but you don't actually need it. For online purchases it should be tied to your account and apply automatically, and in-store they can pull it up with just your phone number or email address IIRC.

Edit: Looks like you just ordered the activation card. I don't even see why they sell that online since you still have to take it in store to activate it, meaning you are basically waiting for it to arrive for nothing.

They really just need to get it set up so you can register and activate it online.

I love this program. I buy virtually all of the games that are released as part of the $10 pre-order bonus program. I bought Assassin's Creed Syndicate just because. Total purchase price was $38 after 20% off and $10 pre-order certificate. I can trade the game in tomorrow for $43.

Why not buy all the games when you essentially get paid $5 to play them for two weeks.

I love this program. I buy virtually all of the games that are released as part of the $10 pre-order bonus program. I bought Assassin's Creed Syndicate just because. Total purchase price was $38 after 20% off and $10 pre-order certificate. I can trade the game in tomorrow for $43.

Why not buy all the games when you essentially get paid $5 to play them for two weeks.

About the pre order certificate. Does that get applied to your account after you get a game?

About the pre order certificate. Does that get applied to your account after you get a game?

You get a certificate in your account about two weeks after the game is released. You can redeem it at any time, but they do expire so you can't keep them around forever.

You get a certificate in your account about two weeks after the game is released. You can redeem it at any time, but they do expire so you can't keep them around forever.

You can also bank your points. Points do not expire I believe but the certificate does. So when you plan on making a purchase, convert your points into the certificate and buy to avoid it ever expiring.

rtcn63

Edit: Looks like you just ordered the activation card. I don't even see why they sell that online since you still have to take it in store to activate it, meaning you are basically waiting for it to arrive for nothing.

They really just need to get it set up so you can register and activate it online.

It was because I wanted to use the discount for Bloodborne, which was on sale at the time. You get the 20% of you order a card with it. I thought "BF isn't for another month, so I can wait until then to drive to the store".

Slightly urelated, but even though UPS claims both Infamous and Killzone arrived yesterday (different packages), I only received one. Doubt it was theft since both would've been in my mailbox, and why would someone would take only one package? I'm going to give it a few days and then call them. I've ordered so many things online, but from BB, things have not faired so well.

-Kees-

Seriously considering getting Rise of the Tomb Raider for 360 because it sounds likes it's a pretty good port plus it's $10 cheaper while also qualifying for the $10 rewards certificate if you pre-order.

border

Does anyone know offhand where I can see if my GCU membership is still current, and not expired? I've logged into BestBuy.com, but my account page doesn't make any mention of GCU whatsoever.

Does anyone know offhand where I can see if my GCU membership is still current, and not expired? I've logged into BestBuy.com, but my account page doesn't make any mention of GCU whatsoever.

Try putting a game in your cart, it should automatically take it off if it's active.

Smart thinking! Looks like I am still good to go.

You can also go to your account, go to Rewards Overview and your expiration date is under the amount of money you have spent there this year that says Elite/Elite Plus. Should have another row that says Gamers Club Unlocked through <date>

Hey I have a question regarding GCU, anyways is it possible for me to change my payment for a preorder? I notice I am unable to change my payment for a preorder I already made. Or did I miss something..

Thanks in advance..

I've actually been buying PC releases through gamersclub too when possible. 47.99 + 10 certificate + 5% cash back (and through the end of the year another 5%) through Discover is better than almost any other deal I can find.

realwords

So my Gamer's Club Unlocked membership comes tomorrow, plan to put it to good use on Black Friday. So when I go in store to activate it before Black Friday, since I want to shop online if possible, how will it be linked to my online account? How will I get the discount applied when I shop through Bestbuy.com?

Yeah it's funny that I keep hearing, "I'll wait until it's $40" when you're basically getting games for $38 on day one if you have GCU and count the pre-order $10 RZ cert you get with most new releases. It's basically the only reason I still go to BB and is the best games discount program I've ever seen personally. Hell, I picked up Blops 3 just to play the campaign and traded it a week later and actually made $ off the deal, bought for $38 and traded for $44. It's like if Redbox gave YOU $5 every time you rented a game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So my Gamer's Club Unlocked membership comes tomorrow, plan to put it to good use on Black Friday. So when I go in store to activate it before Black Friday, since I want to shop online if possible, how will it be linked to my online account? How will I get the discount applied when I shop through Bestbuy.com?

Your in-store and online account are the same. So once you link it in-store, you can use it both ways. Your discount will aitomatically display once you reach checkout.

Edit: GCU with Black Friday deals is going to be amazing. Can't wait!

Schmitty

Yeah it's funny that I keep hearing, "I'll wait until it's $40" when you're basically getting games for $38 on day one if you have GCU and count the pre-order $10 RZ cert you get with most new releases. It's basically the only reason I still go to BB and is the best games discount program I've ever seen personally. Hell, I picked up Blops 3 just to play the campaign and traded it a week later and actually made $ off the deal, bought for $38 and traded for $44. It's like if Redbox gave YOU $5 every time you rented a game.

This line of thinking is not right. You paid 48 for the game, not 38 if the certificates don't even get added until at least 2 weeks. Your next game is 38 if you use the certificate.

Arttemis

You just log into your account that you associated with GCU.

I really need to just go ahead and buy this myself. But my friend that works at BB wants to get it as a Christmas present for me, yet I want to use it for the Black Friday sales.

This line of thinking is not right. You paid 48 for the game, not 38 if the certificates don't even get added until at least 2 weeks. Your next game is 38 if you use the certificate.

I can think that way if I want to bud! I can spend that $10 however I choose and wouldn't have gotten that extra $10 if it weren't for GCU. IMO, you're line of thinking is wrong for thinking I have to spend that $10 on another game. Money is money, it doesn't matter how you choose to save that money, whether it's Just Cause 3, which again has another $10 RZ cert for pre-ordering, or a computer or whatever, you would've had to take the $10 out of your own pocket if not for GCU. The fact that it takes two weeks to receive has no bearing on the fact that BB is giving you a $10 coupon.

Hey I have a question regarding GCU, anyways is it possible for me to change my payment for a preorder? I notice I am unable to change my payment for a preorder I already made. Or did I miss something..

Thanks in advance..
If you are buying it online, just change your credit card info under account. It will use that when it ships.

wtshaolin

Banned
I really need to just go ahead and buy this myself. But my friend that works at BB wants to get it as a Christmas present for me, yet I want to use it for the Black Friday sales.

Just get it. It stacks, so if your buddy gives you one, it will add 2 more years. I have about 3 years left on mine.

Just get it. It stacks, so if your buddy gives you one, it will add 2 more years. I have about 3 years left on mine.

Hey I love GCU as much as the next person, but thinking that BB is still going to be around in another three years is wishful thinking to say the least.

Schmitty

I can think that way if I want to bud! I can spend that $10 however I choose and wouldn't have gotten that extra $10 if it weren't for GCU. IMO, you're line of thinking is wrong for thinking I have to spend that $10 on another game. Money is money, it doesn't matter how you choose to save that money, whether it's Just Cause 3, which again has another $10 RZ cert for pre-ordering, or a computer or whatever, you would've had to take the $10 out of your own pocket if not for GCU. The fact that it takes two weeks to receive has no bearing on the fact that BB is giving you a $10 coupon.

If that works for you fine, I can't seem certs as cash because I get wrapped up in the semantics of it only being able to be spent at BBY.

I wish I had GCU earlier this year. Still saved a ton of money though. I just got 2 $10 certificates in the mail for Halo and Tomb Raider pre-orders. Woop!

Not sure what's funny about it at all. A $40 game is $32 with GCU, $16 less out of pocket than a day one purchase. Plus not all games come with $10 in rewards. Nintendo stuff never does.

I never trade in games so I have no need to get stuff early to trade in while values are still high.

I just got GCU. Got Battlefront for basically 39 bucks with the 10 dollar rewards certificate and I'm pumped for Black Friday shopping!

walkarmor

Neo Member
I have always been a big amazon shopper but when I bought a bunch of Skylanders and Lego Dimensions stuff in the same month it was a no-brainer to do GCU. It paid for itself the first transaction.
Now I buy almost every game at Best Buy. I also got upgraded to Reward Zone Elite now so it's even better.

Skiesofwonder

If that works for you fine, I can't seem certs as cash because I get wrapped up in the semantics of it only being able to be spent at BBY.

Well the vast majority of my game purchases are through Best Buy so that is why (and I'm sure others) look at the $10 certificate as real money.

KingV

You can also bank your points. Points do not expire I believe but the certificate does. So when you plan on making a purchase, convert your points into the certificate and buy to avoid it ever expiring.

Another method is to just roll certificates into preorders. If you cancel the preorder later, you get the points back.

You can only bank points if you are Elite.

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Since we are on the subject of Best Buy, the last couple of years, they have let elite members get early access to Black Friday sales the Monday before. Are they doing that again? I have not seen anything about it this year, though I don't remember when they sent out the notice previously.

Since we are on the subject of Best Buy, the last couple of years, they have let elite members get early access to Black Friday sales the Monday before. Are they doing that again? I have not seen anything about it this year, though I don't remember when they sent out the notice previously.

I haven't received a notice email yet but this is listed in their Elite/Elite Plus benefits:

Access to Special Sales

Get early access to special sales and get your shopping done before everyone else. Enjoy invites to Member-Only Shopping Events and be treated to evenings all about you—including special prices, exclusive offers and personalized attention.

Plus, advanced online access to our Black Friday deals.

Hey I love GCU as much as the next person, but thinking that BB is still going to be around in another three years is wishful thinking to say the least.

3 years you say?

22474177423_b4cabff204.jpg

#Team8seasonsandamovie

Regarding the value of RZ Certs given from pre-ordering games, you'd have to factor in a couple things.

For example the cost of a $59.99 game would be something like

= ((0.80(59.99))*(1+Tax Rate)) - XYZ(10)

Where

X = Present Value Rate of Money Received 15 days in the future
Y = Value of Points that convert into Currency that expires per Reward Zone Rules
Z = Value of Currency limited to Best Buy

For me, X = 1 (100% of future value) ; Y ~= .90 - .95 (90% - 95% of face currency value when locked into points/RZ Certs) ; Z = 1 (Currency locked to BB as good as cash to me)

Y and Z change slightly depending on how many games are coming out that I care about to be honest as I don't buy too much else at BB

Oh I'm also forgetting that you have to put at least $5 down to pre-order at some point in the past for this transaction to occur. Hmm

Kill3r7

Someone on CAG did a breakdown a while back and basically after purchasing 3 games roughly $160 out of pocket. You could end up gaming for no additional cost the rest of the year as long as you beat and trade in the games in a timely fashion (ie get $44 in trade in credit for them) and mostly buy games that offer a RZ certificate.

Skiesofwonder

Someone on CAG did a breakdown a while back and basically after purchasing 3 games roughly $160 out of pocket. You could end up gaming for no additional cost the rest of the year as long as you beat and trade in the games in a timely fashion (ie get $44 in trade in credit for them) and mostly buy games that offer a RZ certificate.

I did better than that last holiday season. I played through 6 games in three months, spending less than $50 while keeping Bayonetta 2 and having $15 of Best Buy certificates left over at the end.

Teggy

Hi, I was checking this out and wasn't able to completely determine one thing - does everything have to be done in store? Buying and trading in?

Oh, really? How does it work? Is there a box to input your membership number? You have to actually sign up in the store, though, right?

You sign up in store and then it's just tied to your Best Buy account. So whenever you log in, any qualifying purchase gets the discount applied automatically.

Ralemont

not me
Oh, really? How does it work? Is there a box to input your membership number? You have to actually sign up in the store, though, right?

Yeah you have to activate it at a store. I forget whether they link your GCU to your Best Buy account or vice versa, but essentially it becomes tied to the account you use to login to the store online. The discount is then applied automatically when you go to checkout as long as you are logged in.

Teggy

You sign up in store and then it's just tied to your Best Buy account. So whenever you log in, any qualifying purchase gets the discount applied automatically.

Yeah you have to activate it at a store. I forget whether they link your GCU to your Best Buy account or vice versa, but essentially it becomes tied to the account you use to login to the store online. The discount is then applied automatically when you go to checkout as long as you are logged in.

Great, I think I will give this a shot.

Actually, one other question - do they do release day shipping at all?

Top Bottom