• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Jooxed

Gold Member
adAzGBf.png

StormCell

That version of him looks creepy though. He's all hunched over, in shadow, and looking at you like he wants you to join him on his branch for some Netflix and chill.

I always found Kaepora creepy. Think about it. He was waiting for you at the entrance to the woods. He had been watching and waiting for you the whole time! Then he follows you all over Hyrule watching your every breath and has the gall to come up and talk to you when it suits him. Creepy old owl.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I always found Kaepora creepy. Think about it. He was waiting for you at the entrance to the woods. He had been watching and waiting for you the whole time! Then he follows you all over Hyrule watching your every breath and has the gall to come up and talk to you when it suits him. Creepy old owl.

And won't take no for an answer either.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm just going to get onto the subject before it fades away, I love how Kaepora became a legendary character, almost entirely by accident.

Granted, he was already cool, and would have been part of a legacy of awesome, memorable characters, but instead, he's one of the Zelda characters, because the writer droned on too long, and the UI designer wasn't prepared for a scenario where people would be rapidly pressing the button, getting players stuck in a hilarious loop.

I always love how little, totally unintentional things like that, can make a game even more special and memorable.

-Arcadia-

Banned
how is samus returns?

loved the original, never got around to the remake

It was all-new to me, so I might be coming from a different perspective.

I felt like every aspect of the game was competent and fun (an overused move early on, aside), but I didn't really get that Metroid 'magic' from it.

However, I was juggling a lot of games at the time (Switch 2017), and playing for 100% completion (which is the quickest way to burn yourself out on anything), so I kind of also feel like I didn't play it in the best possible light?

I've seen a lot of sentiments that kind of mirror that too. It's something where I really want to go back and play it properly, and find out.

However, if you loved the original, this is a pretty awesome 'glow-up' of it. The linearity isn't going to bother you, either, and it might be a whole different story for you. It is absolutely worth a try, imo. As I said, it's fun, and my hesitancies are more based around whether it meets the high standard of something like Zero Mission or Super Metroid, which, pretty high bar.

Tesseract

Banned
It was all-new to me, so I might be coming from a different perspective.

I felt like every aspect of the game was competent and fun (an overused move early on, aside), but I didn't really get that Metroid 'magic' from it.

However, I was juggling a lot of games at the time (Switch 2017), and playing for 100% completion (which is the quickest way to burn yourself out on anything), so I kind of also feel like I didn't play it in the best possible light?

I've seen a lot of sentiments that kind of mirror that too. It's something where I really want to go back and play it properly, and find out.

However, if you loved the original, this is a pretty awesome 'glow-up' of it. The linearity isn't going to bother you, either, and it might be a whole different story for you. It is absolutely worth a try, imo. As I said, it's fun, and my hesitancies are more based around whether it meets the high standard of something like Zero Mission or Super Metroid, which, pretty high bar.
good info, will keep in mind over the week

watching citra footage now, i like what they've done w / 360 degree aiming and samus appears more graceful than ever (form and movement)

-Arcadia-

Banned
good info, will keep in mind over the week

watching citra footage now, i like what they've done w / 360 degree aiming and samus appears more graceful than ever (form and movement)

Something else, because I don't know if you'll play on an emulator, or a 2DS, or just don't like 3D, but the 3D is one of the rare later games where it's amazing.

It feels like an entire little, highly detailed world, stretching well into the background.

Tesseract

Banned
Something else, because I don't know if you'll play on an emulator, or a 2DS, or just don't like 3D, but the 3D is one of the rare later games where it's amazing.

It feels like an entire little, highly detailed world, stretching well into the background.
forgot about that, i'll give it a shot

thanks

StormCell

That's a weird way of spelling satisfaction and fun.

Because Dark Souls is nothing but copious amounts of satisfaction and fun!

Thinking of Mario Sunshine in particular, there's some challenges that are just... they're not broken but they're very nearly broken.

Last edited:

Woopah

Because Dark Souls is nothing but copious amounts of satisfaction and fun!

Thinking of Mario Sunshine in particular, there's some challenges that are just... they're not broken but they're very nearly broken.
Exactly!

I did think about Sunshine right after posting that. Getting all the normal shines is satisfying but getting all the blue coins is not so I'll give you that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've never tried to be a completionist with any of the 3D Mario games. It just sounds like a lot of heartache and frustration.

Same until Galaxy, which was just a completely different thing, where you might as well play all the levels that are available.

I'm flirting with doing it this time, though. I'm actually really having fun delving into everything and... it would be cool to say I had finally done it. Of course, if it stops being fun, I'll move on, because that's the one thing Mario/games should always be.

Finally getting to meet Yoshi and get the new triple jump would be pretty awesome...

Astral Dog

If GamePass takes over the world, do you think Sony and Nintendo should be worried? can GP become a genuine threat to Switch/PlayStation 🤔

Switch success didn't affect the home systems or viceversa but GP is an entirely different beast with lots of potential

Last edited:
If GamePass takes over the world, do you think Sony and Nintendo should be worried? can GP become a genuine threat to Switch/PlayStation 🤔

Switch success didn't affect the home systems or viceversa but GP is an entirely different beast with lots of potential

It does significantly decrease the perceived value of games which could hurt Nintendo in the long run. Forget about Sony's 80 Euro per game, even 40 might look expensive.

Look at the sales of Nintendo's first party games compared to MS and Sony and remember that they almost always hold their full value - three, four, five years after release.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere for the next few years.

StormCell

I think that Microsoft has a good value proposition working in conjunction with having the defacto most powerful console. The problem that MS will have to handle is not reducing the price of Xbox games to the point that it's prohibitive for third parties to do business on the platform. If publishers aren't making money hand over fist off of GamePass subscriptions, then either Microsoft is subsidizing all these publishers to remain on GamePass or third parites are going to come away having made a lot less money on Xbox compared with other platforms. Do they all believe they can make more money off of us by riddling their offerings with mtx?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Im scared, my primitive human brain can't handle all these changes, gamepass, online Streaming, Digital Only consoles, $70 games, giant white PlayStations and Black Xbox Towers

IIts so overwhelming :messenger_fearful: starting to consider just sticking to Switch hardware from now on, though SE and Capcom always get me eventually where they go, ps4 is awesome 🥺

oh well im sure this weird feeling is going to disappear eventually 🤭 maybe its the infamous launch stress

Last edited:

StormCell

Im scared, my primitive human brain can't handle all these changes, gamepass, online Streaming, Digital Only consoles, $70 games, giant white PlayStations and Black Xbox Towers

IIts so overwhelming :messenger_fearful: starting to consider just sticking to Switch hardware from now on, though SE and Capcom always get me eventually where they go, ps4 is awesome 🥺

oh well im sure this weird feeling is going to disappear eventually 🤭 maybe its the infamous launch stress

Eh, I think the best move is to wait a year (or 2) or until there is a game you must have. With Switch, I had to have BotW right away, and I wanted to play it in its best form (not counting PC emulation). With PS4, I didn't get one until the Pro was released, and I'm really glad I waited until then.

With PS5, I figure I can wait until the new Horizon game. If that looks as good as the original, I'll probably give in. Unless they woke it up a ton, which they might...

Tesseract

Banned

returns' 3d is aces

parallax effect w / floating background layers makes the world come alive, pressurized and teeming with activity

i wouldn't wanna play this sans tech

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Rivals of Aether might become an addiction for me. Feels so good to play and you can Shmove. Definitely gonna try to getting good at it.

ExpandKong

Banned
Late to the conversation but The Return of Samus Returns is pretty dope. There is that one boss near the end though. You know the guy. Makea me angry. Good game though and I kinda hope Mercury Steam gets another crack at 2D Metroid coz lord knows Nintendo's not doing anything otherwise.

Top Bottom