• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have both of these games now on switch and I haven't even opened them yet.

I’m just going to leave aside my financial concerns about you for right now.

But totally worth it. They are some of the most beautiful games you will ever play on the Switch, and their unique take on the Metroid style, with much more platforming, is so well done, and a lot of fun.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If I didn't already have both games on PC I'd definitely get them on Switch. I'm trying to make up for it though by recommending the games to my co-workers who have a Switch.

I don’t think you need to make up for owning two awesome games wherever you do. Lol. Hopefully as many Switch owners as possible play these and don’t miss out on them, though.

Eevee86

Thanks, hariseldon, that makes sense. Many factors involved. I wonder if there's some resentment, too, at how well Switch is selling. Some "hardcore" gamers like to look down their noses at consoles that have mainstream appeal. They are elite, you see.

I like what you said in that last section. That's one of the nice things about joining the Nintendo crowd here. They don't seem to get wrapped up console wars, arguing about the minutae of tech/performance, or use lots of hostile humor and put downs. They seem to mostly just focus on playing and enjoying games. What a concept, lol.
That's a big part of it from the Sony side. They got used to not having any competition during the Wii U/Xbox One days and now the Switch is on a roll and Xbox seems to be finding their footing. They feel threatened and are lashing out.

sub-buzz-19765-1523550026-1.jpg

gtrwll

Regarding that other thread about Japan’s best selling games this year: I find it a bit strange that Xenoblade Chronicles DE is not on the list, so it sold less than ~138k in Japan. Would’ve thought it would do better there.

Astral Dog

I think the story is enough to get people hooked, never played a warriors game and this looks great. Monster Hunter Rise is looking really good too. 2021 is going to be a great switch year
Hopefully its good this time they took worst part of BotW(the plot) to make a game around it 🤭

I want more than standard Zelda stuff mixed with Warrior battles and terrible voice acting, real plot twists, death, new enemies, Calamity Ganon attacking its like the worst that could happend on the Zelda world.

-Arcadia-

Banned
These bonuses seem like trolling from Nintendo.

“Oh you liked Breath of the Wild? Here’s a wooden sword.”

“Thanks for pre-ordering the game! Here’s a ladle.”

I’ve always found the goofier weapons kind of fun in the extra modes in these Zelda spin-offs/crossovers, where you get tons of the cool stuff as well. Absolutely I will be smacking people with a ladle, hahaha.

Plus it’s probably better something like this is a preorder bonus, than something people might really want, like a giant flame sword or something.

Regarding that other thread about Japan’s best selling games this year: I find it a bit strange that Xenoblade Chronicles DE is not on the list, so it sold less than ~138k in Japan. Would’ve thought it would do better there.

Maybe the westernized gameplay is a turn-off to them? A flat-out guess, but it does play like a solo western MMO.

-Arcadia-

Banned
because its literally using the same assets as BotW 🤣

It’s not. In most cases anyway. The quality jump is quite apparent (going from an open world/systems pushing the Wii U to its limit/to a Switch exclusive just featuring arenas, albeit with a lot of enemies), as well as the developer’s different way of doing things.

Last edited:
My progress primarily in 64 has been slow (about 30-ish stars so far) because I'm shit at it. Done a bit of Sunshine and it's getting their slowly though the lack of inverted Y axis on the hosepipe is a pain in the balls and cost me bigtime fighting the god damn giant pihrana plant - I think 3 or 4 stars done so far there. Galaxy is one that's so good I'm really having to fight myself to keep away from it - that one has to be saved for dessert. Still, picked up a few stars, unlocked some stuff and I'm in the bee zone at the moment which is really good clever fun.

3D Land I cleared world 1 this morning, it's an absolute delight. Decided to show some self discipline and stop so I can deal with the hedges in my garden (real world, not Animal Crossing) and do a bit more work on learning Unity. Honestly anyone with a vague interest in making games should study Nintendo's work like the fucking bible. They absolutely fucking nail it. Nobody here needs me to tell them that of course, but it's just astonishing the level of quality they create. Nintendo is the Beethoven to everyone else's Nicki Minaj.

3D Land is so much better than anyone told me it would be. I wasn’t totally into it at first but after a couple worlds in it all clicked and it’s now one of my favorite Mario games period. Great length for the kind of game it is, the stages are perfect to pick up and play for a few minutes at a time.

Feels even better to go back through and get all the star coins after you finish world 8.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I just find it funny that the Switch version runs at stable 60 and launched without any issues meanwhile it frequently crashed on the One X and often dipped to 40fps. How did MSFT let that happen?

Still haven’t played it...I’m awful at performers and died hundreds of times when I played the first one.

Astral Dog

It’s not. In most cases anyway. The quality jump is quite apparent (going from an open world/systems pushing the Wii U to its limit/to a Switch exclusive just featuring arenas, albeit with a lot of enemies), as well as the developer’s different way of doing things.
Im sure they confirmed it somewhere 🤔

Zannegan

I just find it funny that the Switch version runs at stable 60 and launched without any issues meanwhile it frequently crashed on the One X and often dipped to 40fps. How did MSFT let that happen?

Still haven’t played it...I’m awful at performers and died hundreds of times when I played the first one.
It's a nice looking port, but I wouldn't say it's without any issues based on my experience. Had a couple of crashes, and one weird bug where I got trapped in the floor walking from one screen to the next and had to restart. Might just be me or my machine.

Still a great little port overall, and I'm sure patches will eventually take care of what issues it has

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It's a nice looking port, but I wouldn't say it's without any issues based on my experience. Had a couple of crashes, and one weird bug where I got trapped in the floor walking from one screen to the next and had to restart. Might just be me or my machine.

Still a great little port overall, and I'm sure patches will eventually take care of what issues it has
I guess I jumped the gun interesting.

I remember when it launched it was unplayable for some Xbox people I was chatting with. Hard crashes often and huge frame rate dips.

-Arcadia-

Banned
For anyone who missed it in the main thread:

Really worth watching. It looks like a ton of fun, and most importantly, like a BotW fan’s dream come true.

The only thing that sucks is that I started playing BotW again, and I really need to get that done first, instead of overkilling it by playing two different parts of the story at the same time, lol. Looking forward to seeing your impressions!

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think the question is also, can you get a PS5/Xbox. These preorders are crazy.

I’m in for both if I can get them. I’m more of a fan of the Xbox, but I really, really want to play Demon’s Souls on Day 1, pretty much the only true next-gen game in existence right now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm getting PS5 and already pre-ordered and I'm still not fan of redesign in some of the bosses in Demons Souls but I'm willing to give fair chance. I was also highly skeptical about FFVIIR but end up liking the game a lot.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
So are any of you guys going to get a PS5 or XsX ?
With preorders being so insanely hard to get I was willing to wait it out and have always said I don’t need one launch day and pretty much still feel this way.
So Nintendbros what next gen console are you guys planning of buying ?

I currently have a PS5 disc pre order and a XSS pre order but don't think I'll keep both.

At the moment I'm surprisingly leaning towards the XSS because it's so damn cheap and I was so busy with PS4 and Switch towards the end of this gen that I skipped a lot of Xbox games (despite owning a XB1 which I rarely used).

I'm not really impressed with either companies launch line up (I don't think Demon's Souls is really my kind of game unfortunately) but I figure I can play through Forza Horizon 4, Ori 1&2, maybe try Sea of Thieves with Game Pass (I also still need to play through Doom Eternal as well which is now gonna be on Game Pass).

Depending on how much I enjoy the XSS I will either buy the more powerful XSX sometime next year once more exclusives come out for it or I'll buy a PS5. For now I don't really feel the need to have either one though and am only really thinking of giving the XSS a chance because it's so cheap. I also think PS5 is really ugly.

JimiNutz

Banned
it's kinda nice to power down the pc, relax, play some nintendo games

tropical freeze and samus returns on the burner, excellent level design in the former

returns' music is p. good, half step between prime and super

Tropical Freeze is a brilliant game.

I played it on Wii U but have had the urge to play it again recently. I think I'll pick up a Switch copy next time I take a vacation somewhere warm. Will be nice to play it chilling next to the pool somewhere warm while drinking rum and tequila.

bender

What time is it?
I wish I liked the Donkey Kong games. The character designs rub me the wrong way and I can never get into the flow of the locomotion.

I spent 2+ hours today removing flowers from my Island. Now that I have 40 million bells, I figure I should start organizing my island instead of just putting shit everywhere. I'll call it project "make my island look less like the aftermath of a F5 tornado".

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I liked the Donkey Kong games. The character designs rub me the wrong way and I can never get into the flow of the locomotion.

I found it lacking the visual clarity typical of most Nintendo games and so it becomes tricky to tell what is platform and what isn’t, and what the boundaries of platform hitboxes are - and yeah the movement just isn’t Mario level.

Top Bottom