• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Jooxed

Gold Member
I hope all of Nintendo Gaf gets into Pikmin 3 on October 30th. It’s been so much fun to rediscover Mario together.

OEMwyAh.jpg

Shaqazooloo

New information about the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass will be revealed tomorrow, September 29, The Pokemon Company has announced.

A video will air at the following times:

– 6 AM PT
– 9 AM ET
– 2 PM in the UK
– 3 PM in Europe

StormCell

I’m with you guys that DK has never been my thing. Going to jump in and try them again with a fresh mind. Even though I didn’t like the SNES, N64, or GCN games I hear DKCR and DKTF are top tier.

Tropical Freeze is top tier for sure. It might be the greatest 2d platformer ever made. Returns is okay, but I remembered thinking at the time that it just didn't remind me enough of the DKC trilogy.

Curious, what didn't you like about the SNES games?

I played the hell out of the DKC trilogy when I was a kid, but I didn’t find DCKR that good when it came out...never got around to Tropical Freeze, but maybe I should give it a try.

I found DKC Returns to be really bland and lacking in the consistency of charm that I remembered from the old Rare games. Tropical Freeze, otoh, is one of my favorite DKC games. Retro Studios got David Wise to work on the game's soundtrack, and that makes a HUGE difference to the atmosphere of the game. As a total package, Tropical Freeze may be the best of the DKC games.

It's a small crime that Retro Studios hasn't produced another DKC by now.

New information about the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass will be revealed tomorrow, September 29, The Pokemon Company has announced.

A video will air at the following times:

– 6 AM PT
– 9 AM ET
– 2 PM in the UK
– 3 PM in Europe
I completely forgot about the next Pokemon expansion. I'm looking forward to going back to Pokemon Sword and seeing what Crown Tundra has to offer.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why would I pay $60 for an old game?

Holding off for a bit to cut down backlog before I jump on too many new games. Will probably grab it on sale later.

Lmao. Oh no. It really is going to be the next round of that, isn't it?

Anyway, totally understand. It's always a good idea to finish what you have, as long as it's still fun, rather than getting caught up in the hype for every new game.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Lmao. Oh no. It really is going to be the next round of that, isn't it?

Anyway, totally understand. It's always a good idea to finish what you have, as long as it's still fun, rather than getting caught up in the hype for every new game.
Too many games, too little time. Currently playing (and really enjoying) Persona 5 Royal. There are also a ton of older games going back to NES/SNES that I missed out on too so I never a shortage of choices.
That's exactly how I feel about Tropical Freeze. When is that SOB going to drop to $20 so I can buy it again (this time for Switch)? I still own the Wii U copy even though I sold my Wii U...
I missed the Wii U. Didn't pick one up until I got a Switch. If I already had it on the older system I wouldn't feel compelled to get the Switch version unless I wanted to replay.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm another who won't be playing Pikmin - it really doesn't look my thing and I have a hellish/awesome backlog plus Cyberpunk on its way.

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope all of Nintendo Gaf gets into Pikmin 3 on October 30th. It’s been so much fun to rediscover Mario together.

I played a little bit of the original Pikmin on a friends GameCube and remember liking it a lot - that was a long time ago though and I don't have much other experience with the franchise.
I think I'll probably pick it up at some point but not sure if I'll be there day one for launch because of backlog and new consoles coming soon.

My October Switch gaming is looking likely to be a mix of Mario 35, a Luigi's Mansion 3 replay, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and M64. If I get through all of that then I may pick up Pikmin 3.

Last edited:

StormCell

Too many games, too little time. Currently playing (and really enjoying) Persona 5 Royal. There are also a ton of older games going back to NES/SNES that I missed out on too so I never a shortage of choices.

I missed the Wii U. Didn't pick one up until I got a Switch. If I already had it on the older system I wouldn't feel compelled to get the Switch version unless I wanted to replay.

There were a bunch of challenges I didn't get around to, so that's the reason why I would like to have it on Switch. I'd gladly mail Nintendo my Wii U copy if they would gladly mail me the Switch copy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thank you for the thought out answer! Both wish listed and Ill bran them when they go on sale.
Looks like you won't have to wait very long

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do the Switch versions add anything new/change anything?
Not that I'm aware of. I believe all versions of these two games are the same - outside of Transistor's PS4 enhancements (DS4 color bar usage, and the option for the Sword to speak through the DS4 speaker).

Jooxed

Gold Member

-Arcadia-

Banned
Random thought that’s hopefully helpful: If any of you are buying a new 4KTV for the new consoles, consider doing a little research into how it handles 1080p and HD upscaling for your Switch gaming. (Rtings is perfect for this).

I didn’t buy it specifically for this, but my TV had extraordinarily high ratings and praise in this area, and I’m so glad it did, because quite a few of my Switch games look g o r g e o u s on it. BotW curiously seems to benefit less, and Witcher was a soup, even with max sharpening, the one time I tried it (need to experiment more with this), but in general.

Obviously, nothing will make a 1080p console 4K, except a Switch Pro (stares at Nintendo), but pick the right TV, and you can definitely reap some benefits.

Tropical Freeze is top tier for sure. It might be the greatest 2d platformer ever made. Returns is okay, but I remembered thinking at the time that it just didn't remind me enough of the DKC trilogy.

Curious, what didn't you like about the SNES games?

Someone else posted earlier and basically laid it all out. My biggest gripe was the feel and movement, it just didn’t feel right. Also the graphics felt mismatched with how the game was constructed. It was hard to tell where you are and where hitboxes of enemies and platforms begin/end.

I actually had similar issues with Trine - graphically it was way too much. I find a lot of games have been trending in the direction of super photorealistic or busy, saturated visuals. The problem is I can no longer make use of my video game sense. Is the object part of the scenery and just eye candy? Or is it interactive - where exactly does the object end?

Typically it doesn’t matter. In Uncharted or an RPG is scripted and those pixel perfect inconsistencies don’t really matter. But for platformers, especially more challenging ones like DKC, it’s a big factor in my enjoyment.

I will also say that I’m not a huge fan of 2D platformers to begin with, though the ones I like I REALLY like:

Super Mario World
Super Meat Boy
Celeste
Hollow Knight (White Palace/Path of Pain)
Ori and the Blind Forest
FEZ
VVVVVV

Most of these games have a lot of exploration and secrets - it’s not pure platforming. My memory of DKC might not be right and I’m willing to revisit, but I don’t remember it being much fun to explore. Who knows and maybe I’ll eat these words. I would love to love DK.

Random thought that’s hopefully helpful: If any of you are buying a new 4KTV for the new consoles, consider doing a little research into how it handles 1080p and HD upscaling for your Switch gaming. (Rtings is perfect for this).

I didn’t buy it specifically for this, but my TV had extraordinarily high ratings and praise in this area, and I’m so glad it did, because quite a few of my Switch games look g o r g e o u s on it. BotW curiously seems to benefit less, and Witcher was a soup, even with max sharpening, the one time I tried it (need to experiment more with this), but in general.

Obviously, nothing will make a 1080p console 4K, except a Switch Pro (stares at Nintendo), but pick the right TV, and you can definitely reap some benefits.

TV purchases have become as complicated as computers and everything else now. It’s not enough to judge their merit on specs alone, you have to factor in how the rest of your devices and streaming services will affect how much you’re getting out of it. I honestly just go with a couple must have features and let Rtings do the rest. Find one that has everything you need at a low price, and that is a popular model that will be supported for a while with updates.

-Arcadia-

Banned
TV purchases have become as complicated as computers and everything else now. It’s not enough to judge their merit on specs alone, you have to factor in how the rest of your devices and streaming services will affect how much you’re getting out of it. I honestly just go with a couple must have features and let Rtings do the rest. Find one that has everything you need at a low price, and that is a popular model that will be supported for a while with updates.

Definitely. I went slightly crazy picking a TV earlier this year, trying to make sure every single thing (and measurement) was accounted for.

It’s a far cry from how it used to be, where you’d just go to the store, buy a brand you trusted, and whatever, lol.

Imagine having to take into consideration SD upscaling. I consider it due to some of my anime DVDs which are better than their blu ray versions or are not available on a superior format.

One of the reasons why I’m a proponent of fpga is that I can play 240p games on the console through hdmi which looks much better on 4K TVs than if I used original hardware since new TVs mostly don’t have component input.

Definitely. I went slightly crazy picking a TV earlier this year, trying to make sure every single thing (and measurement) was accounted for.

It’s a far cry from how it used to be, where you’d just go to the store, buy a brand you trusted, and whatever, lol.

I mean there were always things you could consider aside from brand. Like when I bought my previous TV, I decided on a 42” 720p plasma screen. It was the right size and price, and everything I wanted to do with it (gaming, watching live sports, DVDs and some blu rays) had very little benefits to going with 1080p.

This is back when people were paying huge sums of money for 1080p vs 1080i, mind you. And all brands were yelling 1080 HDTV!!! only to disappoint you with crappy interlaced picture, meanwhile cable broadcast standard was 720p and all game consoles uprezzed.

But it was still a simpler time. I still own the TV and it’s awesome for retro gaming. I don’t have to worry about security vulnerabilities, “smart” image reconstruction, backlighting problems, compatibility with 50 standards of Dolby and HDR. For the most part I need not worry about having the right version of HDMI cables. Most importantly I don’t worry about my TV‘s interface slowing down or introducing bugs over time.

How long did it end up taking you to choose and what did you ultimately decide on? Sorry if I missed the post on another page.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I mean there were always things you could consider aside from brand. Like when I bought my previous TV, I decided on a 42” 720p plasma screen. It was the right size and price, and everything I wanted to do with it (gaming, watching live sports, DVDs and some blu rays) had very little benefits to going with 1080p.

This is back when people were paying huge sums of money for 1080p vs 1080i, mind you. And all brands were yelling 1080 HDTV!!! only to disappoint you with crappy interlaced picture, meanwhile cable broadcast standard was 720p and all game consoles uprezzed.

But it was still a simpler time. I still own the TV and it’s awesome for retro gaming. I don’t have to worry about security vulnerabilities, “smart” image reconstruction, backlighting problems, compatibility with 50 standards of Dolby and HDR. For the most part I need not worry about having the right version of HDMI cables. Most importantly I don’t worry about my TV‘s interface slowing down or introducing bugs over time.

How long did it end up taking you to choose and what did you ultimately decide on? Sorry if I missed the post on another page.

I’m just talking about SD TVs. It just felt like back then, you’d eyeball the display model for few seconds, find the brand you wanted, and how much screen you could afford, and screw it, lol.

Some people I guess would have a problem with this, but I ended up going budget with last year’s TCL. The reviews were really good, and it looked like unprecedented value for the money. It has been fantastic for my purposes, and kind of, in conjunction with a One X, given me a half-generation upgrade to videogames while waiting for Series X and PS5.

It took me a while to decide. There were several good TV deals going at the time, as well as a really good budget competitor (Hisense something?), and the possibility of throwing in a bit extra for some other models as well. It was about a week of obsessing, and twenty tabs open at all times, hahaha.

Last edited:
I’m just talking about SD TVs. It just felt like back then, you’d eyeball the display model for few seconds, find the brand you wanted, and how much screen you could afford, and screw it, lol.

Some people I guess would have a problem with this, but I ended up going budget with last year’s TCL. The reviews were really good, and it looked like unprecedented value for the money. It has been fantastic for my purposes, and kind of, in conjunction with a One X, given me a half-generation upgrade to videogames while waiting for Series X and PS5.

It took me a while to decide. There were several good TV deals going at the time, as well as a really good budget competitor (Hisense something?), and the possibility of throwing in a bit extra for some other models as well. It was about a week of obsessing, and twenty tabs open at all times, hahaha.

Yeah SD was a different time. Screen size was the biggest consideration. I certainly dont miss the weight of a CRT or rear projection screen though!

Nice choice, funny enough I did the same thing a few years back. Costco had a great sale on a 55” 4K TCL for like $400. An unreal TV for the money.

Mr Branding

Someone else posted earlier and basically laid it all out. My biggest gripe was the feel and movement, it just didn’t feel right. Also the graphics felt mismatched with how the game was constructed. It was hard to tell where you are and where hitboxes of enemies and platforms begin/end.

I actually had similar issues with Trine - graphically it was way too much. I find a lot of games have been trending in the direction of super photorealistic or busy, saturated visuals. The problem is I can no longer make use of my video game sense. Is the object part of the scenery and just eye candy? Or is it interactive - where exactly does the object end?

Typically it doesn’t matter. In Uncharted or an RPG is scripted and those pixel perfect inconsistencies don’t really matter. But for platformers, especially more challenging ones like DKC, it’s a big factor in my enjoyment.

I will also say that I’m not a huge fan of 2D platformers to begin with, though the ones I like I REALLY like:

Super Mario World
Super Meat Boy
Celeste
Hollow Knight (White Palace/Path of Pain)
Ori and the Blind Forest
FEZ
VVVVVV

Most of these games have a lot of exploration and secrets - it’s not pure platforming. My memory of DKC might not be right and I’m willing to revisit, but I don’t remember it being much fun to explore. Who knows and maybe I’ll eat these words. I would love to love DK.

Haven’t played DKTF but I agree with the busy overdrsigned look a lot of them have. What I find curious is that you love Ori ( I do too) but my first thought when starting that game was ‘man, is that a platform or background?’ It clicked after the tutorial and it became one of my all time fav. platformers. Weird

Haven’t played DKTF but I agree with the busy overdrsigned look a lot of them have. What I find curious is that you love Ori ( I do too) but my first thought when starting that game was ‘man, is that a platform or background?’ It clicked after the tutorial and it became one of my all time fav. platformers. Weird

I had the same reaction but it eventually didn’t matter too much, I was zipping around with bash and it turned out the scenery wasn’t so relevant if I could bounce off enemies. Great game!

Mr Hyde

Down to my last streamer now in Paper Mario. I'm sitting on around 20-25 hours. Magical adventure so far, but I'm beginning to get tired of the turn based combat. It's pretty repetitive, just trying to figure out the right way to line up your enemies. It's the only drawback of the game, but it's pretty significant nonetheless. The boss fights have been pretty good though.

Top Bottom