• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

NintendoGAF, brothers.

I come seeking both mercy and forgiveness, for I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

I caved to the sea of positive impressions online and picked up a digital copy of SM3D All-Stars using a voucher. First of all, Mario 64 looks so good in handheld. Shockingly good even. Everything is so clean and crisp. Count me into the group who scoffed at the thought of 4:3 + 720p and labelled it lazy. No! Wrong. The game looks fantastic, and more importantly, it looks how I remember it looking. Having managed 45 stars so far, I can confidently say this game didn't need a typical "remaster". Nintendo made absolutely the right move presenting it as it always was, but just touching up the low res textures, text and HUD stuff. I'm having a blast with this game.

Galaxy is not even worth talking about. The game is an absolute masterpiece and still looks better than 90% of modern games. An absolute JOY. I've only pissed around for a few minutes as I want to play them in order but MY GOD this game holds up incredibly well. I was sure this would look good in HD having had some minor experience with Dolphin, but it is jaw-droppingly beautiful. That texture work never quite shone through on the Wii, but it certainly does now. Sunshine I'm saving for later as it's been a good 15+ years since I've been anywhere near that game and I have such special, nostalgic memories of it that I'm not quite ready for all that to go up in flames.

It probably won't

I'm happy to eat crow on this, GAF. I got it wrong. I've read up a bit more online about how this collection was brought to fruition and my "lazy" comments were completely out of order. The fact we basically now have a working 64 / GC / Wii emulator running on the Switch is extremely exciting. If any other re-releases from that era look as crisp and clean as this collection then we are in for a treat. Hats off to NERD. I get it now. I see why PS1 games (Spyro / Crash / THPS) need full remasters. Because the originals look like ARSE. I don't think Nintendo will have this problem with their 3D games. It's time boys, open the floodgates.

I used my other voucher to finally pick up Paper Mario. I was sceptical of this game on release, but the comments on this thread have gradually sold it to me.
Will get started on it once I clear a couple of things off the backlog.

Edit: The camera in 64 fucking sucks. (that is the ONLY negative).

Last edited:
I played some Mario 64 last night. The game is so delightful! The controls are simple, yet precisely what is necessary. I think this is why I don’t care for Odyssey. That game has too many different ways to control Mario. Keep it simple and tight.

I think that the game looks really good for an N64 game on an HD tv. You only appreciate that after you’ve hooked up your original 64 to a modern tv.

I can’t wait to 100% this game and then play Sunshine.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I see why PS1 games (Spyro / Crash / THPS) need full remasters. Because the originals look like ARSE.

Underrated line of thought. Crash and Spyro actually look clean for PS1 visuals, but... PS1 visuals. Likewise, the games were never that artistically impressive. Just standard western stuff.

For as ancient as Super Mario 64 is, it was at least on a system that could display a texture without losing all control. Likewise, even today, the art and feeling of these levels speak quite loudly. The outdoor area is as peaceful and beautiful feeling as ever. Jolly Roger Bay foreboding above water, and absolutely serene under it. The Bowser levels as climatic and ominous as ever.

Then you hit Sunshine, which with a little work done by Nintendo, looks absolutely fantastic on the Switch, let alone Galaxy, and... it’s just not necessary. Not that a visual remake couldn’t potentially be cool, but it isn’t required.

Nintendo were incredibly smart with their art choices. Stylised art always ages better when it comes to computer graphics.

Yeah true. And speaking of the PS1, the games on there that really stood the test of time for me at least, have always been the pixel art stuff like Suikoden 1+2, Star Ocean and the like. A lot of SNES games aged incredibly well due to that too.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Make me a sandwich

Okay.

MRIwvFq.jpg

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So my pro controller arrived today. Just finished work and gave Mario 64 a go and it’s so much better than the joycons. Button response is VASTLY better which is odd as I didn’t even think it was bad, and the sticks are far better. I can nail wall jumps every time where before I only got 1 in 5.

Just got the 8 red coins in the invisibility cap switch area - a section which has plagued me - and I managed to do it with finesse and poise. Also from all the previous attempts I now have 20 lives!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eevee86

Why always it takes forever for Preorders to be available in Canada?

Preorders for other stores seem to be going up. I nabbed the Collectors edition off Best Buy. Now I just need to drive into town to get the other two Amiibo preordered at Gamestop...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Preorders for other stores seem to be going up. I nabbed the Collectors edition off Best Buy. Now I just need to drive into town to get the other two Amiibo preordered at Gamestop...
Still not up in Canada, I cant find it either Amazon or EBgames, but thank you for keeping me updated.

So my pro controller arrived today. Just finished work and gave Mario 64 a go and it’s so much better than the joycons. Button response is VASTLY better which is odd as I didn’t even think it was bad, and the sticks are far better. I can nail wall jumps every time where before I only got 1 in 5.

Thanks for mentioning this, I had meant to comment on that too. If you think Joy-Cons were bad, try the original N64 controller. I was so used to playing with the N64 controller that using the Switch Pro Controller is like heaven. It can't be overstated how much better Mario 64 plays with a modern controller.

D-pad aside, the Pro controller is one of the best controllers of all time. Battery lasts like a champ and it's easily usable with Steam.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it. The camera was wonky, but I thought the platforming was great, sometimes challenging. I miss challenging platforming in Mario games.
Sunshine is so close to being brilliant.... it's just the lack of polish that holds it back.

I'm WAY past the age of letting video games get the better of me so I've got to call it quits. I don't want the headache.

Is it easy to swap between Switch and Steam or does it involve faff?

I can't answer that fully because I have OCD and I turn off bluetooth on my PC everytime I'm not using it lol. So every time I want to use it on PC, I pair it. But it doesn't desync from the Switch. It seems pretty faffless.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
NintendoGAF, brothers.

I come seeking both mercy and forgiveness, for I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

I caved to the sea of positive impressions online and picked up a digital copy of SM3D All-Stars using a voucher. First of all, Mario 64 looks so good in handheld. Shockingly good even. Everything is so clean and crisp. Count me into the group who scoffed at the thought of 4:3 + 720p and labelled it lazy. No! Wrong. The game looks fantastic, and more importantly, it looks how I remember it looking. Having managed 45 stars so far, I can confidently say this game didn't need a typical "remaster". Nintendo made absolutely the right move presenting it as it always was, but just touching up the low res textures, text and HUD stuff. I'm having a blast with this game.

Galaxy is not even worth talking about. The game is an absolute masterpiece and still looks better than 90% of modern games. An absolute JOY. I've only pissed around for a few minutes as I want to play them in order but MY GOD this game holds up incredibly well. I was sure this would look good in HD having had some minor experience with Dolphin, but it is jaw-droppingly beautiful. That texture work never quite shone through on the Wii, but it certainly does now. Sunshine I'm saving for later as it's been a good 15+ years since I've been anywhere near that game and I have such special, nostalgic memories of it that I'm not quite ready for all that to go up in flames.

It probably won't

I'm happy to eat crow on this, GAF. I got it wrong. I've read up a bit more online about how this collection was brought to fruition and my "lazy" comments were completely out of order. The fact we basically now have a working 64 / GC / Wii emulator running on the Switch is extremely exciting. If any other re-releases from that era look as crisp and clean as this collection then we are in for a treat. Hats off to NERD. I get it now. I see why PS1 games (Spyro / Crash / THPS) need full remasters. Because the originals look like ARSE. I don't think Nintendo will have this problem with their 3D games. It's time boys, open the floodgates.

I used my other voucher to finally pick up Paper Mario. I was sceptical of this game on release, but the comments on this thread have gradually sold it to me.
Will get started on it once I clear a couple of things off the backlog.

Edit: The camera in 64 fucking sucks. (that is the ONLY negative).

You sure got it wrong.

Hold him boys........he's gotta pay!

giphy.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No idea what Kirby Fighters 2 would entail or why I would want that in my life, but I did just remember that I have the Kirby game that came out on Switch a couple years ago. Haven't played it yet. I'm scrounging up a lot of stuff to try out.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
... so they didn't actually bother fixing any of the technical problems at all with Sunshine. Whelp.
Nope. Apparently it's just the GameCube version being emulated.

Nintendo had the chance to fix Sunshine, unfortunately they took the lazy route. This is all Miyamoto's fault :messenger_pouting:

-Arcadia-

Banned
People whine about Sunshine too much. Can a few of the missions benefit from a pass of polish? Absolutely. The example in the OT of that Yoshi one, is hilarious, and spot-on. This is a roughness that never happened in Nintendo games before or after.

Somehow, this gets extrapolated out, by a few, to the entire game being frustrating and broken, though, and that’s just not the case. You have another pitch perfect set of controls and movement, and genuinely great, even awesome gameplay, world design, and missions throughout the game.

What it can be, is challenging. Unlike every 3D Mario since, it isn’t set to perma easy mode, with slight spikes into medium. That isn’t a bad thing, as many of my favorite Marios are from this period, but this is a different kind of Mario that asks your skills to be up to snuff, and your attention fully focused.

When I see people going after the secret levels, which are 👌 platforming, and blaming everything but themselves, that tells me everything I need to know.

Bless Sunshine for causing internet debate almost 20 years later, tho.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Something I was wondering. It’s interesting that 2/3rds of this collection are native port + emulation layer, but Super Mario 64 is complete emulation, with new elements ‘injected’ via LUA script (I’m going to pretend I know what that is).

If it had taken the other approach, 16:9 and 1080p would have been on the table. Add in that this is a far better emulation effort than we’ve ever seen from Nintendo before (Wii and Wii U VC), and something altogether different...

That kind of makes me think Nintendo has plans for N64 emulation, and when I when I think of 720p emulation, I think of the meager, but solid NES and SNES Classic hardware. I wonder if it’s possible that an N64 Classic could be around the corner? Certainly enough time has passed for one, and it’s maybe more feasible for a cheaper product.

As much as we all seem kind of... done, with these classic reproductions, having had our fill. I could see a lot of excitement for a mini N64 that played all those classic games. Doubly so if Microsoft is on board to deliver the Rare classics, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t be.

Or maybe Nintendo just thought 720p and 4:3 were fine, and more appropriate for such an older game? Maybe they want to do N64 games on NSO? Extrapolating data from the utterly vague, and getting hyped is always a bad decision, but it’s intriguing to think about.

Kazza

Count me into the group who scoffed at the thought of 4:3 + 720p and labelled it lazy. No! Wrong. The game looks fantastic, and more importantly, it looks how I remember it looking. Having managed 45 stars so far, I can confidently say this game didn't need a typical "remaster". Nintendo made absolutely the right move presenting it as it always was, but just touching up the low res textures, text and HUD stuff. I'm having a blast with this game.

I don't think the two opinions are necessarily mutually exclusive. Let's say for example you were seeing Scarlett Johansson and when you finally got down to business you were treated to an evening of dead fish sex. While I'm sure it would still be a fairly pleasant evening all things considered, it would also be fair to say that she was being a little "lazy" in her execution of the deed and to wonder how much better it could have been.

Speaking of Mario 64 ports, I'm bidding for a 3DS on ebay and want to know if the DS port is worth buying? I heard that they changed the controls to digital, which makes it a not so good port. Although a physical copy is going pretty cheap (around £10 complete) I think it might just be best to play the recent PC one instead.

Kazza

I think Galaxy may be my favourite Nintendo game. I got to play Odyssey for an hour and it never really reeled me in (maybe it needs more time). As Dunkey says, there is a huge variety of mechanics and levels in Galaxy, and I like the way it challenges you almost from the very beginning. I played it for the first time on the Wii 3/4 years back and might replay it in a PC emulator around Christmas time. The Wii version is already a solid 60 fps and the game doesn't look too bad when connected to a modern TV using component cables, and I imagine that it will even more amazing emulated on my 4K TV.

Top Bottom