• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I needed a break from Supah Mahrio Sunshine woo-hoo, so I tried out the original All-Stars, and...

Is there really a Mario game that I’ve never played, just sitting there for decades? Lol. I’ve played NES SMB, of course, but for some reason, I’ve never played this remake outside of briefly at a friend’s house, and completely forgot all about it.

It’s actually visually really cool. The music too. The character movement seems incredibly weird, though? I think I might need to blow through this in an afternoon, just to experience it, though.

Which led me to thinking about a neat question. Which versions of the games do you prefer, Nintendo Gaf? The originals, or the All-Stars/GBA versions?
All versions are great, but I preffer the NES ones, with the original graphics and music. :)

Last edited:
-Arcadia- -Arcadia-
I like the originals, but I prefer the All-Star versions nowadays. It’s nice to have the improved graphics and music. Also, I’ve played the originals so much, the All-Star versions feel like different games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So, I just watched this video. To summarize, he feels that a lot of the evidence and choices behind Super Mario 3D All-Stars, point towards not, ‘Let’s just put something out quick’, but rather, ‘Let’s build a foundation for future GameCube/Wii ports’.

Of course, that kind of video/line of thought is less appealing for perma-triggered brainlets with a Miyamoto persecution complex.

We can only speculate as to motive, ultimately, but that makes a lot of sense to me. Especially with the Zelda 35th right around the corner, and the likely need for more transfers to the Switch.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So, I just watched this video. To summarize, he feels that a lot of the evidence and choices behind Super Mario 3D All-Stars, point towards not, ‘Let’s just put something out quick’, but rather, ‘Let’s build a foundation for future GameCube/Wii ports’.

Of course, that kind of video/line of thought is less appealing for perma-triggered brainlets with a Miyamoto persecution complex.

We can only speculate as to motive, ultimately, but that makes a lot of sense to me. Especially with the Zelda 35th right around the corner, and the likely need for more transfers to the Switch.

I don't see the porting thing as something bad, but I would preffer if they spend those resources on making new games. Or at least put some effort on them! (Sorry, still salty about the 4:3 in SM64 ^^u)

But hey, if someday I'm able to play Wind Waker while taking a shit... Man, tht would be great.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't see the porting thing as something bad, but I would preffer if they spend those resources on making new games. Or at least put some effort on them! (Sorry, still salty about the 4:3 in SM64 ^^u)

But hey, if someday I'm able to play Wind Waker while taking a shit... Man, tht would be great.

I think the idea behind an emulation layer, is that those resources for new games are left freed up, and these projects don’t end up taking much time or manpower at all.

Also, if I ever play Switch with you, I’m bringing my own Joy-Cons.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I think the idea behind an emulation layer, is that those resources for new games are left freed up, and these projects don’t end up taking much time or manpower at all.

Also, if I ever play Switch with you, I’m bringing my own Joy-Cons.
Yeah good point! Didn't think of that freed up resources after the initial effort made for All-stars.

And about my joy-cons... They are clean I swear! At least until that Zelda Collection comes out. :p

So my pro controller is getting drift in the left stick now after my R joycon that's less then 2 years old has drift in the right stick.

Nintendo's controllers are fucking trash these days. My DS4 that I've used for over five years has held up better.

This shit is unacceptable with the price of 1st party Nintendo controllers. FFS I can go buy a decade old used gamecube controller and it would still probably work well.

Humdinger

Make sure you get yourself a glass screen protector and pro controller. Excellent game choices, you’re going to be really happy. What do you plan to start with?

Thanks. I've got the Pro controller ordered. I'll have to look into that screen protector. At this point, I'm planning to play it mostly docked, so I won't be sliding it in and out of the docking station very often. Do you think I'd still need a glass screen protector, in that case?

Oh, and I plan to start with Zelda BotW.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I needed a break from Supah Mahrio Sunshine woo-hoo, so I tried out the original All-Stars, and...

Is there really a Mario game that I’ve never played, just sitting there for decades? Lol. I’ve played NES SMB, of course, but for some reason, I’ve never played this remake outside of briefly at a friend’s house, and completely forgot all about it.

It’s actually visually really cool. The music too. The character movement seems incredibly weird, though? I think I might need to blow through this in an afternoon, just to experience it, though.

Which led me to thinking about a neat question. Which versions of the games do you prefer, Nintendo Gaf? The originals, or the All-Stars/GBA versions?

Honestly, I’ve always preferred the All-Stars versions. Yes, the movement feels different, but I like the feel of it. Aesthetically, they are waaaay beyond the NES originals. Especially SMB2. That said, I can understand why a lot of people like the originals better - there are arguments to be made for both.

Thanks. I've got the Pro controller ordered. I'll have to look into that screen protector. At this point, I'm planning to play it mostly docked, so I won't be sliding it in and out of the docking station very often. Do you think I'd still need a glass screen protector, in that case?

Nice! BotW is perfect to begin with and should keep you busy for a while, maybe long enough to get to some early Black Friday deals on some of the other titles in that list. I’m stoked for you though, I will always remember my first days with the Switch.

The screen protector is definitely still worth it. Unfortunately Nintendo made the screen out of plastic, probably so kids won’t get injured if they drop it and a glass screen would shatter. The problem is it’s much less soft and the screen will eventually get worn and scratched. Even if you are primarily docking it, I think having a glass protector is essential and $8 is nothing.

I also think you might be surprised at how often you’ll play it in handheld mode. Although I still typically play docked on the tv, some games I actually enjoy more in handheld mode. BotW is not the best example of that but give it a shot when you play, Mario Kart, Luigi’s Mansion 3, or any side scroller/indie.

Tigerlord

I just put in my order for a Switch. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Here are the main reasons I decided to go ahead and get one, even though I've never owned a Nintendo console before and I'm generally a one-console guy:

1. I had run out of things I wanted to play on my PS4.

2. PS4/5 + Switch seems like a good combination. I noticed a lot of people on GAF have that combo. In polls, it's like 25%.

3. I've been feeling a desire for lighthearted, fun sorts of games. Xbox and PS4 are populated with a lot of serious, violent games. I don't think a constant diet of that is good for me. I think it would be better if I played more games that were innocent and lighthearted.

4. I'm feeling somewhat dragged down by the negativity of the console wars, and Nintendo fans don't seem to get involved in console wars. They seem to just play and enjoy their games. That kind of impressed me.

Here are the games I've got on my list:

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (and XB 2, if I like that)
Deadly Premonition 2 (maybe)
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Paper Mario: The Origami King

I figured that was more than enough to justify a purchase.

Anyhow, I'm glad to be a Switch owner. I'll let you know what my experiences are like.

Since you are getting a Switch, are you going physical or digital? You will need a sd card.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
The camera in Mario 64 sucks! I managed to get 80 stars before giving up. How did I put up with this as a kid??

On to Mario Sunshine now. It's been a VERY long time since I've played this game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario Bros. 2 w/ Luigi on GBA / Super Mario All Stars 👑

I’ve been contemplating buying Resident Evil 5 for the Nintendo Switch. The co-op campaign, the files, the Mercenaries are all great. Especially online, but not sure how the community is now, or how it goes w/ that game on Nintendo Switch Online

Side note, if you are playing Paper Mario: The Origami King, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 3D All Stars, particularly Super Mario Sunshine, then you have exquisite taste

I made sure to put tempered glass on my Switch before I played it more than once, just to make sure it works. You never know what might happen to it. Hoping it will last for like 15-20 years if possible, it’s that great of a console imo

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Super Mario Bros. 2 w/ Luigi on GBA / Super Mario All Stars 👑

I’ve been contemplating buying Resident Evil 5 for the Nintendo Switch. The co-op campaign, the files, the Mercenaries are all great. Especially online, but not sure how the community is now, or how it goes w/ that game on Nintendo Switch Online

Side note, if you are playing Paper Mario: The Origami King, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 3D All Stars, particularly Super Mario Sunshine, then you have exquisite taste

I made sure to put tempered glass on my Switch before I played it more than once, just to make sure it works. You never know what might happen to it. Hoping it will last for like 15-20 years if possible, it’s that great of a console imo

Try the demo of RE5. I'm not a framerate whore but it was way too unstable for my liking.

Woopah

From the sounds of it the emulator is being created by Nintendo's European division (NERD) so it isn't taking any resources away from actual development teams.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Here are the main reasons I decided to go ahead and get one, even though I've never owned a Nintendo console before and I'm generally a one-console guy:

2. PS4/5 + Switch seems like a good combination. I noticed a lot of people on GAF have that combo. In polls, it's like 25%.

3. I've been feeling a desire for lighthearted, fun sorts of games. Xbox and PS4 are populated with a lot of serious, violent games. I don't think a constant diet of that is good for me. I think it would be better if I played more games that were innocent and lighthearted.

4. I'm feeling somewhat dragged down by the negativity of the console wars, and Nintendo fans don't seem to get involved in console wars. They seem to just play and enjoy their games. That kind of impressed me.

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Luigi’s Mansion 3

Anyhow, I'm glad to be a Switch owner. I'll let you know what my experiences are like.

Welcome to the club - the most chilled-out bit of GAF. Get ready for the rest of gaf to hate you. In terms of the stuff on your list, there's some absolute crackers in there. BOTW will give you a good 60-80 hours of top quality good times. Visually it's a treat and it's just such a wonderful world to be in. Mario Kart 8 is another absolute looker, really taking the formula and honing it to perfection. Odyssey is just the most joyful thing you'll ever experience on a gaming system - it'll give you a grin a mile wide. I just finished Paper Mario and utterly adored it - it's a lovely chilled game and the art style is gorgeous. 3D allstars is obviously a collection of classics. Not played the others but if you like those you'll want Mario 3D world when it comes out in Feb, and you might want to look at Yoshi's Crafted World too. In 3rd party you should check out Golf Story for a bit of cheap indie fun and Streets Of Rage 4 which is a magnificent homage to the classic series that takes its own meaningful steps forward.

I was a PC-only guy for a couple of decades, before that Atari ST and Amiga, never owned a console, just played on friends machines sometimes. The Switch really offers something different from the grimdark stuff at one end and the twee pet-spoon crap from the indies at the other end. The wonderful thing about what Nintendo do is that they still build games to be games, the mechanics are everything, though they also manage to delight with their visuals while recognizing those visuals as being in service to gameplay (which is why screens are always so readable - you can always see what elements are in play and quickly figure out what you can do with each element).

On the controller front, I picked up this....

.. in May. Don't make my mistake. Half the cost of a Pro Controller but it's drifting already, while my Joycons are perfect. Lesson learned. I will just note that it had a better range of movement than the joycons where the sticks don't travel very far - for most games this isn't an issue but for Mario 64 I reckon the greater travel of a bigger controller would be helpful for some of the more obnoxious sections with narrow beams and ledges. I've ordered a pro today so I'll offer my thoughts on that when I've had some time with it (it arrives tomorrow).

I picked up this...

.. screen protector because I'd heard about the Switch's issues. I didn't expect to use it handheld much but actually it's been remarkably useful to be able to switch modes. It means I can chill in bed with the Switch, not being tied to the TV, and when the wife wants to watch her crappy reality TV I can just grab the Switch out of the dock and carry straight on. It's an underappreciated design element that makes the Switch arguably far more useful for those of us who are a bit older, more time-poor and have to consider others.

Carry cases are, I suspect, much of a muchness but I picked up..

.. and it's been fine. Plenty of space for cartridges etc. My collection is mostly physical so when I'm on the move this is handy - it came in very handy when I went to Devon with the wife for a few days - gave me some fun in the evening downtimes.

A quick note on SD cards, don't get the NIntendo-branded ones as they're twice the price. Just get the fastest microSD you can afford and avoid ones with Nintendo branding. Downloads are mostly fairly sensible at 1-6GB with occasional outliers like that stupid basketball game being 40GB but in general Switch games are smaller. I've gone down the mostly physical route in part to avoid the hassle of figuring out storage, but your mileage may vary.

Finally, a kind soul pointed me to https://www.dekudeals.com/ a while back and it's saved me a fortune. Pick the games you want, put them in your wishlist, and wait for the price you want to pay. Easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutty Flam

Banned
This is such a profound cutscene

When I was a little kid looking up at my television watching it play out, I was in awe. It is one of the most beautiful moments / instances of story telling I have ever seen, to date even

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is such a profound cutscene

When I was a little kid looking up at my television watching it play out, I was in awe. It is one of the most beautiful moments / instances of story telling I have ever seen, to date even

This and the first meeting with Zelda are magical, to this day. Particularly the latter to me. The setting and music, everything about the scene, is beautiful.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Luigi’s Mansion 3

Cool to have you in the thread. 💪

Maybe you already looked into it, but if you want a few more "lighthearted, fun sorts of games" try ARMS and Pokken Tournamenet DX. Solid fighting games made by the Mario Kart team and the Tekken team, respectively.

TintoConCasera

Hey fellas, how is the Bloodstained port? Did they fix it? Or should I stick with the retro ones?

Hudo

I mean, you don't have to be a super-brain to come to the conclusion that NERD didn't write emulators just for shits and giggles. And writing a Wii/Gamecube emulator for Switch, using Vulkan, is certainly not being lazy. The lazy route would've been to port the game via some use of an abstraction layer (the "laziest" way to do a port. Sometimes this can introduce input lag or framerate drops, if done naively). Obviously this can be used for other N64/Gamecube/Wii titles. Incidentally, we've got Zelda's 35th anniversary next year..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
But people are just being console warriors, as always. I've talked to a guy who is legit upset that Monster Hunter Rise is only for Switch (so far?). Dude wanted to explain to me how this is the worst step Capcom could've taken for the Monster Hunter franchise, etc, etc. Just some regular corporate tribalism.

The only thing that I agree with the console warriors on is the lack of Super Mario Galaxy 2....

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I mean, you don't have to be a super-brain to come to the conclusion that NERD didn't write emulators just for shits and giggles. And writing a Wii/Gamecube emulator for Switch, using Vulkan, is certainly not being lazy. The lazy route would've been to port the game via some use of an abstraction layer (the "laziest" way to do a port. Sometimes this can introduce input lag or framerate drops, if done naively). Obviously this can be used for other N64/Gamecube/Wii titles. Incidentally, we've got Zelda's 35th anniversary next year..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
But people are just being console warriors, as always. I've talked to a guy who is legit upset that Monster Hunter Rise is only for Switch (so far?). Dude wanted to explain to me how this is the worst step Capcom could've taken for the Monster Hunter franchise, etc, etc. Just some regular corporate tribalism.

The only thing that I agree with the console warriors on is the lack of Super Mario Galaxy 2....

True. Honestly, these days, relative to others, it feels like just talking about a common sense throughline is ‘super-brain’.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I do sometimes wonder if the people complaining about using an emulator have ever complained about say using the Unreal or Unity engines. In a way the emulator serves a similar purpose, as a conveyance for code and assets to allow it to run on multiple environments.

Hudo

I do sometimes wonder if the people complaining about using an emulator have ever complained about say using the Unreal or Unity engines. In a way the emulator serves a similar purpose, as a conveyance for code and assets to allow it to run on multiple environments.
People who complain about emulation don't understand what an emulator really does, IMHO. Or, even worse, are people who have some superficial knowledge about game dev and computers and think they know their shit but they really don't. Those people are even more annoying. Otherwise they wouldn't call emulation "lazy". Even writing an emulator for the MOS 6502 can be tricky as some software/games were using undocumented instructions and other irregular behavior to do some cool stuff. And that is not always straightforward to implement in an emulator.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
People who complain about emulation don't understand what an emulator really does, IMHO. Or, even worse, are people who have some superficial knowledge about game dev and computers and think they know their shit but they really don't. Those people are even more annoying. Otherwise they wouldn't call emulation "lazy". Even writing an emulator for the MOS 6502 can be tricky as some software/games were using undocumented instructions and other irregular behavior to do some cool stuff. And that is not always straightforward to implement in an emulator.

I think some of the perception of laziness comes from the existence of free open-source emulators. This creates problems. The first is a perception of value. I can get an emulator free on the internet and then download roms from a torrent site and it's free. The thing is that just because the emulator is free doesn't mean it's without value. Work was done to build the emulator (significant very fucking difficult work might I add) and that work has a value. The games being free on torrent sites of course just makes matters worse, as if they have no value because they're old.

The second half of the problem is that gamers think Nintendo can just grab that emulator off the shelf and use it. Nope. Most of them have a license like GPL or similar, which means that using the software as part of their product would legally obligate them to open source everything around that product. Not a chance they want to do that, so they must build their own, and maintain a cleanroom with no contact with the open source efforts, to avoid any legal risks. A development team doing this is doing significant work but not work gamers can appreciate.

The rationale for using an emulator is much the same though as using an engine (eg Unity/Unreal) in that you want to write one set of code and run it anywhere, which is what most games do these days, and most of IT for that matter (see previous discussions around Docker etc). It just makes sense rather than manually porting old code for every game again and again for each new system.

Humdinger

Since you are getting a Switch, are you going physical or digital? You will need a sd card.

I plan to buy mostly physical copies. I'll grab an SD card when I start to fill up.

Cool to have you in the thread. 💪

Maybe you already looked into it, but if you want a few more "lighthearted, fun sorts of games" try ARMS and Pokken Tournamenet DX. Solid fighting games made by the Mario Kart team and the Tekken team, respectively.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Welcome to the club - the most chilled-out bit of GAF. Get ready for the rest of gaf to hate you. In terms of the stuff on your list, there's some absolute crackers in there. BOTW will give you a good 60-80 hours of top quality good times. Visually it's a treat and it's just such a wonderful world to be in. Mario Kart 8 is another absolute looker, really taking the formula and honing it to perfection. Odyssey is just the most joyful thing you'll ever experience on a gaming system - it'll give you a grin a mile wide. I just finished Paper Mario and utterly adored it - it's a lovely chilled game and the art style is gorgeous. 3D allstars is obviously a collection of classics. Not played the others but if you like those you'll want Mario 3D world when it comes out in Feb, and you might want to look at Yoshi's Crafted World too. In 3rd party you should check out Golf Story for a bit of cheap indie fun and Streets Of Rage 4 which is a magnificent homage to the classic series that takes its own meaningful steps forward.

That sounds great (re. BotW, MK8, etc.). Thanks for the suggestions of other games. I wasn't aware of some of them. I'll check them out.

The Switch really offers something different from the grimdark stuff at one end and the twee pet-spoon crap from the indies at the other end. The wonderful thing about what Nintendo do is that they still build games to be games, the mechanics are everything, though they also manage to delight with their visuals while recognizing those visuals as being in service to gameplay (which is why screens are always so readable - you can always see what elements are in play and quickly figure out what you can do with each element).

Yeah, I appreciate that, too. As I've gotten older, I've become less interested in, and less impressed by, games that try hard to be dark, difficult, serious, and "mature." I sort of feel like that's a young man's game -- to revel in adrenalin and testosterone, the thrill of combat, the thrill of beating a difficult level, and so forth. I just don't feel that way anymore. I like to play games to relax and have fun, not to immerse myself in a serious, tense situation.

I was actually feeling pretty disinterested in gaming for a long period of time, years really. Oddly (or maybe not), the kind of games that pulled me back in were SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom and Ratchet and Clank on PS4. Both of these games were just fun to play and they left me with a light heart, not tense or serious. That's part of why I'm looking to Nintendo -- because they specialize in these types of games and seem to do them better than anyone.

There's room for both types of games, of course. I wouldn't want to play only lighthearted Nintendo games the rest of my life. I'll mix in the standard AAA releases, too -- stuff like Horizon, God of War, whatever. I think the PS4/5 and Switch combo should be a good one. PS4/5 alone doesn't have enough of the lighthearted, fun stuff. I need Switch for that.

I didn't expect to use it handheld much but actually it's been remarkably useful to be able to switch modes. It means I can chill in bed with the Switch, not being tied to the TV, and when the wife wants to watch her crappy reality TV I can just grab the Switch out of the dock and carry straight on. It's an underappreciated design element that makes the Switch arguably far more useful for those of us who are a bit older, more time-poor and have to consider others.

Yeah, I'm interested to see whether I'll end up using it in handheld mode much. I've never owned a handheld before and don't really game on the go much, don't even carry my smartphone with me generally. So I'm thinking it'll mostly be docked. But we'll see.

A quick note on SD cards, don't get the NIntendo-branded ones as they're twice the price. Just get the fastest microSD you can afford and avoid ones with Nintendo branding. Downloads are mostly fairly sensible at 1-6GB with occasional outliers like that stupid basketball game being 40GB but in general Switch games are smaller. I've gone down the mostly physical route in part to avoid the hassle of figuring out storage, but your mileage may vary.

Finally, a kind soul pointed me to https://www.dekudeals.com/ a while back and it's saved me a fortune. Pick the games you want, put them in your wishlist, and wait for the price you want to pay. Easy.

Hmm, thanks for those suggestions. I'll sign up for that website.

Hudo

I think some of the perception of laziness comes from the existence of free open-source emulators. This creates problems. The first is a perception of value. I can get an emulator free on the internet and then download roms from a torrent site and it's free. The thing is that just because the emulator is free doesn't mean it's without value. Work was done to build the emulator (significant very fucking difficult work might I add) and that work has a value. The games being free on torrent sites of course just makes matters worse, as if they have no value because they're old.

The second half of the problem is that gamers think Nintendo can just grab that emulator off the shelf and use it. Nope. Most of them have a license like GPL or similar, which means that using the software as part of their product would legally obligate them to open source everything around that product. Not a chance they want to do that, so they must build their own, and maintain a cleanroom with no contact with the open source efforts, to avoid any legal risks. A development team doing this is doing significant work but not work gamers can appreciate.

The rationale for using an emulator is much the same though as using an engine (eg Unity/Unreal) in that you want to write one set of code and run it anywhere, which is what most games do these days, and most of IT for that matter (see previous discussions around Docker etc). It just makes sense rather than manually porting old code for every game again and again for each new system.
Yeah, you are right with your point of about the perceived value of emulators. I haven't really thought of that. And it is indeed the same as using an engine. It gives you are basis to work off of without having to reinvent the wheel every time. At a certain point it just isn't fun or interesting anymore to rewrite your camera-perspective-transform and your hashmap data structure again and again (which you also then need to test again and again...).

Same reason why both Sony and Nintendo are using forks of freeBSD as their OS for their devices (part of the reason might also be because of the BSD license). There's already a very good basis there to work off of. No point in implementing your interrupt handler or kernel space/user space shenanigans again and again.
You also make a good point about why Nintendo don't "just" use an already existing emulator. Actually, Nintendo have the benefit of having access to all the internal knowledge of the systems they are emulating, probably even down to people they can talk to who have actually engineered/developed those systems. And all of this is, as you stated, hidden. Probably even more so than an engine, which you can at least "see". Even though most people don't know that engines do actually a lot more than just graphics. A renderer is just one module of an engine, nowadays. And that doesn't even include all the tools and the pipeline that have to be developed with an engine! But you can also observer talk about engines and graphics that just devalue the work necessary overall.
That being said, there are developers, like Bethesda, who can and should be called out for what they deliver. So it's not like I automatically want to absolve every developer.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are giving a lot of credit to haters. I think most people hate first and then work their conclusions backward from there.

There's obviously a large chunk of console warrior crap going on there but there are some in the Nintendo fandom pissing and moaning about it, if you look at things like the NintendoLife comments (not that everyone commenting there is honest - I'm sure some are there to troll - but there's a reasonably self-selecting Nintendo-oriented bunch there). For me though the PC emulator brigade are fucking annoying, though the irony is not lost on me given it was running Mario 3D world on an emulator which made me decide to go get a Switch to see what else Nintendo could do.

Humdinger Humdinger I don't mind difficulty per se - I still enjoy Dark Souls, and I love the old SNES games on the Switch even though they're bastard hard, and SM64 is kicking my arse and I'm loving it. I think the thing that matters is balance, you need a good range of things in your gaming diet and right now the PC (and the other consoles as far as I can tell) doesn't provide that. It does some things brilliantly, some things better than the Switch, but the Switch offers games in a space that has been almost entirely ignored elsewhere. In a way part of the appeal is that the games on Switch are closer in spirit to what games were in the late 90s and early 00s, albeit with modern conveniences, where you do get a fantastic universe that's not a cut and paste template, and where risks are taken and new ideas pushed. That and the lack of microtransactions, the way you get a whole game for the price of a game, and then an expansion pack if you fancy it, those things make gaming much better for me.

Re being in a gaming funk - I can totally get that. I'd been going on a bit of a retro binge playing old RPGs like KOTOR 1/2 and the Mass Effect trilogy and found that really lifted my gaming spirits, reminding me of some of why I played games in the first place - to be transported to fabulous new worlds. The Switch though really did inject gaming right into my veins, it was a huge thing for me. I'm putting in more hours now, and loving every one.

That fucking Microsoft buying Bethesda thing though, wow. Wonder what that means for Bethesda support on Switch. Bethesda has put in more work for Switch than most big publishers and while Microsoft has some support going there as well, it certainly doesn't seem like it's any sort of priority for them, which makes sense of course.

StormCell

That fucking Microsoft buying Bethesda thing though, wow. Wonder what that means for Bethesda support on Switch. Bethesda has put in more work for Switch than most big publishers and while Microsoft has some support going there as well, it certainly doesn't seem like it's any sort of priority for them, which makes sense of course.

Yeah, I don't know if this will mean timed exclusives or full exclusivity to Xbox. It would seem foolish to purchase Zenimax and then reduce the audience for those products. It would lead to more Xbox or PC sales, but it would ultimately lead to fewer software sales, right?

On the bright side, I feel like Microsoft has been friendlier towards Nintendo, so we may still see more Elder Scrolls. I mean, hell, MS being smart and all we may finally see FO3 on Switch!

StormCell

Playing Super Mario Sunshine has been such a treat! One thing I really enjoy is talking to all of the inhabitants in each of the levels. I mean, all of the locales feel so alive, and there is just so much beckoning me to explore. Exploration actually feels rewarded when you happen upon an NPC in a cave/ruin and then you realize what you have just gone through is a secret star! Love finding blue coins hiding in places that I hadn't even considered looking in but thanks to the game's amazing draw distances you will spot things from up high that you would never have known about otherwise.

That said, it didn't take me more than a couple of hours to remember that this game is beast. The Revenge of Petey Piranha was a quick reminder that this game doesn't try to set you up to win. At all. I spent probably 20 minutes trying to intercept, down, fill, and smash this creep! And I have so far put off the Sand Bird level.... I'm just not ready for the honeymoon to end.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think Microsoft of old would have gone platform-exclusive, but modern Microsoft just doesn't work that way. They want to sell services (including games) agnostic of platform, and for that reason if there's money on the table they'll come and get it.

On a different topic - now I've finished Paper Mario I'll need a new chill game to go with my rage-inducing Mario 64 (wonderful as it is, it does make me want to fling the controller with alarming regularity). As I picked up Links Awakening and was then diverted by Paper Mario it seems sensible to go back to it, especially given its obvious wonderful charm. I don't know about you guys but I'm having a fucking fabulous gaming year!

StormCell

I think Microsoft of old would have gone platform-exclusive, but modern Microsoft just doesn't work that way. They want to sell services (including games) agnostic of platform, and for that reason if there's money on the table they'll come and get it.

On a different topic - now I've finished Paper Mario I'll need a new chill game to go with my rage-inducing Mario 64 (wonderful as it is, it does make me want to fling the controller with alarming regularity). As I picked up Links Awakening and was then diverted by Paper Mario it seems sensible to go back to it, especially given its obvious wonderful charm. I don't know about you guys but I'm having a fucking fabulous gaming year!

I found Link's Awakening to be a really enjoyable stroll on normal difficulty. I wanted to go with the higher difficulty but imagine never getting any hearts to heal except from fairies or via shop. I would have preferred if everything my sword strikes didn't spew hearts, but it seems there's just no middle ground.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I found Link's Awakening to be a really enjoyable stroll on normal difficulty. I wanted to go with the higher difficulty but imagine never getting any hearts to heal except from fairies or via shop. I would have preferred if everything my sword strikes didn't spew hearts, but it seems there's just no middle ground.
I'd say it's not so much that everything spews hearts as it knows you're running low and might need them soon and so doles them out at the right time to help out. That's actually quite a sensible way to manage difficulty, and even the enemy placement is done with that in mind, ie putting an easier enemy in a spot where you might need to get some health. Clever bastards.

StormCell

I'd say it's not so much that everything spews hearts as it knows you're running low and might need them soon and so doles them out at the right time to help out. That's actually quite a sensible way to manage difficulty, and even the enemy placement is done with that in mind, ie putting an easier enemy in a spot where you might need to get some health. Clever bastards.

Absolutely. Although one of the things I noticed going from OoT to Wind Waker was the sudden continuous availability of hearts. They do manage the difficulty quite a bit, whereas in OoT I would spend 3/4's of a dungeon running around with the warning beeper going... good times! lol

-Arcadia-

Banned
Playing Super Mario Sunshine has been such a treat! One thing I really enjoy is talking to all of the inhabitants in each of the levels. I mean, all of the locales feel so alive, and there is just so much beckoning me to explore. Exploration actually feels rewarded when you happen upon an NPC in a cave/ruin and then you realize what you have just gone through is a secret star! Love finding blue coins hiding in places that I hadn't even considered looking in but thanks to the game's amazing draw distances you will spot things from up high that you would never have known about otherwise.

That said, it didn't take me more than a couple of hours to remember that this game is beast. The Revenge of Petey Piranha was a quick reminder that this game doesn't try to set you up to win. At all. I spent probably 20 minutes trying to intercept, down, fill, and smash this creep! And I have so far put off the Sand Bird level.... I'm just not ready for the honeymoon to end.

I found out this game has secret shines. Yesterday. After 20 years. :messenger_hushed:

I love the difficulty too (not as much of a fan of the bosses) It's not just the secret levels -- Sunshine isn't afraid to amp it up a little, which leads to a different kind of enjoyment than the 'This play is so joyful/fun' mostly in every Mario since.

Both are entirely valid ways to make Mario, but it's fun going back to the days of a Mario game actually regularly making you quite tense, and pushing your skills.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Luigi’s Mansion 3

Breath of the Wild is fantastic. My game of the gen. I highly recommend Fire Emblem Three Houses as well. Multiple story routes, fun tactical combat, and a sort of Persona 5 style day/activity system. My GOTY 2019. Zelda: Link's Awakening is another fantastic title. A direct remake of the original if you've played that-a fun 2D Zelda title with a ton of charm and whimsy.

Yep, the GameCube emulator will no doubt be of use in the future. The Wii emulator is interesting as well since it is a hybrid port+emulation package. Lets them update controls via code while getting the ease of offloading rendering to emulator. Would be very useful for Skyward Sword since that title would need a ton of changes to work well on Switch.

If we do get Zelda ports next year I hope we get 3DS Ocarina+Majora, Wii U Twilight Princess+Wind Waker, and a reworked Skyward Sword with this new hybrid emulator.

The Switch just lost one of its biggest supporters 💀 DOOM ETERNAL likely being repurposed for XSS if it even existed
Doom Eternal will still come to Switch. Series S plays all Xbox One games so it already plays Doom.

StormCell

I found out this game has secret shines. Yesterday. After 20 years. :messenger_hushed:

I love the difficulty too (not as much of a fan of the bosses) It's not just the secret levels -- Sunshine isn't afraid to amp it up a little, which leads to a different kind of enjoyment than the 'This play is so joyful/fun' mostly in every Mario since.

Both are entirely valid ways to make Mario, but it's fun going back to the days of a Mario game actually regularly making you quite tense, and pushing your skills.

Mario Sunshine wasn't the most well-received, and just think that their main takeaway from the reception was that the game was too difficult/too complicated. I do agree that there are some specific challenges in the game that felt like they were rushed, and that's why they were so frustrating.

The game is one big toy to play with though. Almost everything in the levels is some kind of thing to experiment with from the power lines to the lily pad boats.

Astral Dog

Breath of the Wild is fantastic. My game of the gen. I highly recommend Fire Emblem Three Houses as well. Multiple story routes, fun tactical combat, and a sort of Persona 5 style day/activity system. My GOTY 2019. Zelda: Link's Awakening is another fantastic title. A direct remake of the original if you've played that-a fun 2D Zelda title with a ton of charm and whimsy.

Yep, the GameCube emulator will no doubt be of use in the future. The Wii emulator is interesting as well since it is a hybrid port+emulation package. Lets them update controls via code while getting the ease of offloading rendering to emulator. Would be very useful for Skyward Sword since that title would need a ton of changes to work well on Switch.

If we do get Zelda ports next year I hope we get 3DS Ocarina+Majora, Wii U Twilight Princess+Wind Waker, and a reworked Skyward Sword with this new hybrid emulator.

Doom Eternal will still come to Switch. Series S plays all Xbox One games so it already plays Doom.
Even if it ends up coming to Switch next year its goodbye for BethesdaxNintendo 🥺

And no hope for DOOM Threeie

Top Bottom