• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Glad I bought 3D All Stars physically and digitally. My Best Buy order isn’t shipping until October.

Has anybody here ever heard of the iQue?
Yes-nearly bought one back in 2004 on eBay. Wish I would have. They are incredibly expensive now. Neat device; was supposed to support online multiplayer.

Nintendo used the iQue branding for the GBA, SP, DS, and 3DS consoles in China as well.

The Famicom Disk System has stations in Japan that would write games onto rewritable disks as well. They actually used the idea of flashing games onto a cartridge with the GB/Super Famicom: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power_(cartridge)

Last edited:
Glad I bout 3D All Stars physically and digitally. My Best Buy order isn’t shipping until October.

Yes-nearly bought one back in 2004 on eBay. Wish I would have. They are incredibly expensive now. Neat device; was supposed to support online multiplayer.

Nintendo used the iQue branding for the GBA, SP, DS, and 3DS consoles in China as well.

The Famicom Disk System has stations in Japan that would write games onto rewritable disks as well. They actually used the idea of flashing games onto a cartridge with the GB/Super Famicom: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power_(cartridge)

Holy crap, I walked into Wal-Mart today and luckily got a copy by chance. I didn't even expect to get one lol.

Shaqazooloo

Going back to Wii U is ROUGH, load times are ridiculous! Sure you get some music but I don't want to be sitting around for a few minutes listening to it while the menu's take their sweet ass time!

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t regret the Wii U. Playing Kart 8, 3D World, Wind Waker HD and others, in their prime, was magical. Nintendo going HD, and the sheer visual fireworks (art and tech) that resulted, was so much fun to experience, as well as really classic Nintendo gameplay all around.

I wouldn’t have waited five years or more, to play any of those, if I’d known what was coming up. Moreover, I feel like those games were more impressive in their day, than they are now.

I would love a sequel to Nintendo Land. I had great experiences with the Wii U, but I sold it after it was clear they shifted all resources to the NX.

Woopah

Seriously. This is legit the only Nintendo console I ever really regretted getting. Maybe we'll even see Xenoblade X on the Switch and then it's 100% donezo.
The only Wii U games that I really really wanted were Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze. When the Switch came out I came very close to trying to pick up a cheap Wii U instead. Luckily I made the right choice.

Astral Dog

I don't regret my Wii U purchase, i had fun with it at the time and some games were even cheaper like Donkey Kong TF, Pikmin 3 Nintendo gave me it for free, XenobladeX, the Zelda remasters etc. I don't feel the need of purchasing most of the Wii U lineup again and its not like there are noticeable graphical differences in the ports.

even miss the Mii plaza and Eshop music a little 🥺

Last edited:
Apparently the Wii U is a beast for running old Nintendo games - Wii and GameCube being playable native with a bit of hacking.

It's absolutely phenomenal for that purpose. The gamepad being a bit cumbersome and having shit battery life is what keeps it from being the ultimate Nintendo console all things considered.

Oh, with some hacking as well, the 3DS is able to play DS and GBA games natively as well. Now that is the ultimate combo of BADASSERY.

Eevee86

Would we all be up for playing Monster Hunter Rise together when it comes out? I played Tri with some Gaffers (which I now realise was a decade ago... shit) and it was a lot of fun.
I'd be happy to join people. I've been playing with random since Tri.

Eevee86

Why always it takes forever for Preorders to be available in Canada?

I don't think it's just Canada, it seems to be the game in general. It's not available anywhere in the US either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How the hell did Gamestop get their claws on this game...
giphy.gif

I ended up grabbing All-Stars since it was available for $50 from Walmart locally. Unfortunately my fear about the camera in Sunshine was valid. It is basically unplayable for me having played the original. Both the camera and FLUDD controls are non-inverted, completely changing the muscle memory I'm used to. I played for about 10 minutes and literally every time I moved the camera and water spout I moved it the wrong way first, then the right way. I'll be shelving Sunshine until there's a patch. If they DON'T provide the option to change in a patch, well, I'll just wait for 4/1/2021 and sell it for a profit on eBay.

Oh, and even worse, they did the SAME THING on Mario 64. Camera control is reversed with no other options. Again, I kept moving it the wrong direction. Every time.

A real shame since otherwise it's a great collection. For me this release is an epic fail. I envy all the newbs out there that don't mind the control scheme.

So I'm playing Animal Crossing and thinking.

Why the hell can't we get a game that has the difficulty/complexity and map size of Don't Starve. Mixed with building and farming options of Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley.

Somewhere there's a perfect top-down crafting/building survival game begging to me made that combines elements of all those.

Intoxicate

Apparently the Wii U is a beast for running old Nintendo games - Wii and GameCube being playable native with a bit of hacking.

You only need to connect one console to do so, however, the Wii U is soo slow and GameCube and Wii is native resolution which just looks dated. I sold mine when I realized I don’t want to play the old games that way but rather wait for HD remasters. Therefor I’m happy with the Mario Collection and hope Galaxy 2 will drop as a DLC, or a single release once the Collection expires.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dear. I can’t do picture scramble puzzles at all so I guess I won’t be finishing the game. I had enough trouble with them in the quiz show segment. What an obnoxious way to end.

Edit: got it done in the end much to my surprise. That final battle puzzle is really obnoxious but the game as a whole is absolutely magical. It’s another game that I’m really glad I bought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Oh dear. I can’t do picture scramble puzzles at all so I guess I won’t be finishing the game. I had enough trouble with them in the quiz show segment. What an obnoxious way to end.

Edit: got it done in the end much to my surprise. That final battle puzzle is really obnoxious but the game as a whole is absolutely magical. It’s another game that I’m really glad I bought.

I was there too I hated the picture puzzle but luckily the last battle was not as hard as it appeared.

Humdinger

I just put in my order for a Switch. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Here are the main reasons I decided to go ahead and get one, even though I've never owned a Nintendo console before and I'm generally a one-console guy:

1. I had run out of things I wanted to play on my PS4.

2. PS4/5 + Switch seems like a good combination. I noticed a lot of people on GAF have that combo. In polls, it's like 25%.

3. I've been feeling a desire for lighthearted, fun sorts of games. Xbox and PS4 are populated with a lot of serious, violent games. I don't think a constant diet of that is good for me. I think it would be better if I played more games that were innocent and lighthearted.

4. I'm feeling somewhat dragged down by the negativity of the console wars, and Nintendo fans don't seem to get involved in console wars. They seem to just play and enjoy their games. That kind of impressed me.

Here are the games I've got on my list:

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (and XB 2, if I like that)
Deadly Premonition 2 (maybe)
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Paper Mario: The Origami King

I figured that was more than enough to justify a purchase.

Anyhow, I'm glad to be a Switch owner. I'll let you know what my experiences are like.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member

Here are the main reasons I decided to go ahead and get one, even though I've never owned a Nintendo console before and I'm generally a one-console guy:

2. PS4/5 + Switch seems like a good combination. I noticed a lot of people on GAF have that combo. In polls, it's like 25%.

3. I've been feeling a desire for lighthearted, fun sorts of games. Xbox and PS4 are populated with a lot of serious, violent games. I don't think a constant diet of that is good for me. I think it would be better if I played more games that were innocent and lighthearted.

4. I'm feeling somewhat dragged down by the negativity of the console wars, and Nintendo fans don't seem to get involved in console wars. They seem to just play and enjoy their games. That kind of impressed me.

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Luigi’s Mansion 3

Anyhow, I'm glad to be a Switch owner. I'll let you know what my experiences are like.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Luigi’s Mansion 3

The bad news is: Nintendo fans are an incredibly hateful people.

The good news is: if you like fun games and want a return to when "fun" was the focus rather than "experiences", you bought the right thing.

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Luigi’s Mansion 3

Make sure you get yourself a glass screen protector and pro controller. Excellent game choices, you’re going to be really happy. What do you plan to start with?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I needed a break from Supah Mahrio Sunshine woo-hoo, so I tried out the original All-Stars, and...

Is there really a Mario game that I’ve never played, just sitting there for decades? Lol. I’ve played NES SMB, of course, but for some reason, I’ve never played this remake outside of briefly at a friend’s house, and completely forgot all about it.

It’s actually visually really cool. The music too. The character movement seems incredibly weird, though? I think I might need to blow through this in an afternoon, just to experience it, though.

Which led me to thinking about a neat question. Which versions of the games do you prefer, Nintendo Gaf? The originals, or the All-Stars/GBA versions?

DESTROYA

I needed a break from Supah Mahrio Sunshine woo-hoo, so I tried out the original All-Stars, and...

Is there really a Mario game that I’ve never played, just sitting there for decades? Lol. I’ve played NES SMB, of course, but for some reason, I’ve never played this remake outside of briefly at a friend’s house, and completely forgot all about it.

It’s actually visually really cool. The music too. The character movement seems incredibly weird, though? I think I might need to blow through this in an afternoon, just to experience it, though.

Which led me to thinking about a neat question. Which versions of the games do you prefer, Nintendo Gaf? The originals, or the All-Stars/GBA versions?
Never played the originals but what I’ve played so far I can tell right away why they are so highly praised.

Top Bottom