• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software's new game leaked: "Elden Ring", a new world by Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R. R. Martin

Nymphae

Banned
QONVIyz.gif

I love this gif lol, I remember seeing it during E3 a ton the year I joined Gaf. I like all the variations that show what he's looking at as well lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly. I remember him leaking PUBG's release date for the PS4 version weeks ahead of the announcement and acted "proud" of it. He's a loser and a pseudo-insider.
On his Twitter, someone told him the same thing.... why do leaks?

His response was something like...... everyone else is doing it and the info is out in the open.

He's no insider. What he's got is maybe a couple contacts who he tries to get tidbits of info, then claims he's an insider.

This is the same guy who said XBox One was going to launch on October or December 2013.... and it launched in November.

So for all the 1,000s of gaming industry people...... devs, marketing, ad agencies, store workers, people who work at retailer head office, distributors...... the fucking company responsible for setting up demo kiosks etc...... he can't get an accurate launch date?

It's like the guy has maybe 2 people he kind of knows who tell him unreliable info to get him off his back. And half the info he gets is wrong already.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Seems like a weird collaboration. Can those two even talk to each other directly? Meaning, does Miyazaki speak English?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Seems like a weird collaboration. Can those two even talk to each other directly? Meaning, does Miyazaki speak English?

Yeah, according to Wikipedia, Miyazaki worked at Oracle in the United States for a year before joining From, and he's an avid reader in English. That would help explain why the English localizations of his games are quite good.

Jon Neu

Banned
Totally agree. One creator uses only suggestions to tell stories, the other uses 100 words when 10 would suffice.

Are you comparing a videogame with a book?

People seem to not know that GRRM has done amazing scripts for TV, like Beauty and the Beast, The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Hell, people seem to forget that GRRM has written a lot of stuff before Game Of Thrones, some of it were short stories.

I like the sound of this. One thing Japanese devs in general are fairly poor at, is story telling. Things tend to turn out best when they keep it simple or let the game itself do the talking (ala Soulsborne, SotC etc) but, you know, when they start talking about Galick Guns, super conspiracies with interdimensional beings and gods or whatever, it tends to miss far more than it hits. Westerners on the other hand tend to not let the games itself do enough of the talking so maybe this game will finally strike a good balance.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i want this so much!!! day one obviously.

Sekiro proved that From could really stretch out, that they could really expand the classic gameplay into a more exploration driven style. it also presented a more accessible storyline, with a more traditional emphasis on cutscenes. feel like this is a really good match! if anything GRRM has proven himself good at coming up with striking fantasy scenarios. <3 a match made in heaven.

ps. hope they do a Sekiro DLC first tho ;-p

Last edited:
This is the biggest news of the year, by far. They get out of their confort zone and accept a new challenge. From Software are the true masters in the industry nowadays.

Hype over the moon.

Brazen

Imagining all the moment to moment possibilities to experience with this collaboration. You have my complete and undivided attention.

Rodolink

"leaks" are planned by marketing teams

Sucks though, surprises are getting less and less these years.

And i hope GRRM is finally done with side projects and give us the book we need! XD

Shifty

Welp, there it is. My interest level for GoT and GRRM is pretty low, which puts me squarely on the skeptic fence. Perhaps the reveal proper will sway me one way or the other.

Though boi all this crying about leaks. The information is out there and now you have it, who gives a shit where it came from?

And more importantly, why are you still on GAF or any other non-E3 part of the internet if finding out early is apparently the end of the world? 🤔

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So is this essentially going to be another Souls? I’m kinda torn here. On the one hand I want them to try something new, but on the other, much larger and much more sun praising hand, I want them to essentially do a Souls reskin job. Sekiro, for all its merits, never quite worked for me, because it wasn’t Souls enough.

So from what I can gather this is an open world game? But wouldn’t you class the other FROM games as open world?

zwiggelbig

Hmm, I don't know, man... the difficulty in From games is a design approach... how does an easy mode work in such a game?

The player can take 10 additional hits? Put that against Ornstein and Smough or the Dancer from the Boreal Valley and it doesn't make much of a difference if the player is just trying to tank and button mash...
Or that + the player does 10x the damage? Wouldn't that make enemies as boring as those in musou games?

If the idea is to make sure everyone can get past everything, why just not make the player invincible? Or make it like in Sekiro but with infinite revivals? It's easier and doesn't change the core of the game...
If a from gave ever gets an easy mode i wont buy it anymore. I never like to play games on hard or hardest. But a from game has no other options. U buy the game knowing its hard and there js only one option. I like that. No cheap out way to change difficulty or stary a new play easier. Fuck that

DanielsM

Banned
If a from gave ever gets an easy mode i wont buy it anymore. I never like to play games on hard or hardest. But a from game has no other options. U buy the game knowing its hard and there js only one option. I like that. No cheap out way to change difficulty or stary a new play easier. Fuck that

They've created their own medium sized market by not catering to the general mass audience. If they were to try and complete by making things easier and not unique, not sure From Software would really exist. Not every game needs to sell 10-20m units, but with that said a medium size developer can target a smaller demography with something unique.

GAMETA

Banned
I like the sound of this. One thing Japanese devs in general are fairly poor at, is story telling. Things tend to turn out best when they keep it simple or let the game itself do the talking (ala Soulsborne, SotC etc) but, you know, when they start talking about Galick Guns, super conspiracies with interdimensional beings and gods or whatever, it tends to miss far more than it hits. Westerners on the other hand tend to not let the games itself do enough of the talking so maybe this game will finally strike a good balance.

It's time to read some mangas, man... 20th Century Boys, The Music of Marie, Berserk, Akira, Dragon Ball, Vagabond, Kenshin...

In the gaming department there's Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade 1 and 2, Grandia, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Earthbound...

You know lots of american movies, comics and games are heavily "inspired" by japanese stories and culture, right?

Over the past 10 years, Miyazaki worked on FOUR new IPs (excluding the VR game which I have no idea what's about). Out of those, Sekiro is probably the less good and that game is absolutely amazing and is probably going to be my GOTY and would have been my GOTY last year as well. To say that his track record is great is a gross understatement, dude's body of work is fucking BONKERS.

Day one.

LordOfChaos

heavy breathing

Very interested in this. From is known for dropping only obscure hints for worldbuilding, while worldbuilding is GRRMs thing, so i wonder what the combination will look like. Though Sekiro was more forthright than souls/borne. Miyazaki AND GRRM? Sign me the fuck up

Now someone just help them fix their damn frame pacing issue, I heart Bloodborne but it was nigh inexcusable that it’s still there in Sekiro.

Last edited:

Senhua

Thanks God the game is multiplat.
Souls game should have been enjoyed by as much gamers as possible, not to hold them down on 1 platform because of platform holder exclusivity deals.
Hope Miyazaki keep that in his mind in future when negotiate with publisher candidate.

It's time to read some mangas, man... 20th Century Boys, The Music of Marie, Berserk, Akira, Dragon Ball, Vagabond, Kenshin...

In the gaming department there's Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade 1 and 2, Grandia, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Earthbound...

You know lots of american movies, comics and games are heavily "inspired" by japanese stories and culture, right?

I'm very much into Japanese stuff so I know ALL of that, yes. But I was talking about games specifically and while there have been gems over the years, on the average I still find it very lacking. Often it goes into shonen tropes or they go so bonkers (looking at you, Platinum games) that it almost instantly turns off most Westerners just on a conceptual level. I personally think they could improve on that a lot without forsaking the average shonen geared game or wonderfully silly shit like the Katamari series. But that's me.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Thanks God the game is multiplat.
Souls game should have been enjoyed by as much gamers as possible, not to hold them down on 1 platform because of platform holder exclusivity deals.
Hope Miyazaki keep that in his mind in future when negotiate with publisher candidate.

What? The Souls games are multiplatform except for Demon's.

(Bloodborne is not a Souls game.)

Last edited:
Gotta admit I'm surprised this rumor came true. I thought the idea of Miyazaki + GRRM was so far-fetched that it wouldn't happen in a million years lol

KiteGr

Remember how the original tittle for Dark Souls was "Dark Ring", and they changed because it was a slang for the Anus.

Here's where the other half of the tittle went...

Last edited:
Top Bottom