• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Vindication for Dark Souls 2 defenders as Hidetaka Miyazaki says many of its ideas 'carried the rest of the series'

digdug2

Almost ten years since this thread.
To be fair, they had lofty goals. The PS3/X360 weren't nearly beefy enough to accommodate that crazy degree of lighting.

I played DS2 on PS3 when it released back in March 2014 and it chugged along at sub-30fps even after all the fancy lighting was stripped. That framerate was rough.

Methos#1975

I finished up the main portion of SofS just a few hours ago again on the XSX and man, it definitely hasn't aged well. It has some decent ideas and I can see where it influenced Elden Ring but it is imo the worst of the Fromsoft Souls games. Way too much artificially inflated difficulty that's intentional by design, bad design at that. The boss runs are far more difficult than the actual bosses, the only two actual difficult bosses are Vendrick and Ancient Dragon and both aren't so much difficult as cheap and even they are beyond easy if you know the trick to them. And most bosses are just lame as knights. It has some cool areas like Shrine of Amana but others are just as generic as can be. Having to go to Majula to level up is a pain after a while. Really, towards the end I just wanted the game over and I'm not sure I'll do the dlc stuff.

april6e

This article is so vindicating because people would bring out the pitchforks and torches a decade ago on the internet when I discussed the franchise and dared to say that DS2 not only had the most content out of any Soulsborne game (before Elden Ring) but absolutely could not be the worst Souls game (DS2 = terrible was almost a universal opinion back then).

Last edited:

Gojiira

It influencing means good AND BAD…Ie this didnt work so we changed it which would be a large amount of attributable mechanics and design choices…

DaciaJC

Gold Member
This article sounds like it was written by someone who believes Elden Ring is actually the true sequel to Dark Souls II and by its astounding success retroactively redeemed DS2 and made it one of the best in the series. Pure fantasy.

"I actually personally think [Dark Souls 2] was a really great project for us," said Miyazaki, "and I think without it, we wouldn't have had a lot of the connections and a lot of the ideas that went forward and carried the rest of the series."

Miyazaki is simply being polite here. He could say the same thing - and be correct - about any other game in the series.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't really enjoy 2, but I also think that 2 had some really good ideas that really should have been implemented in 3.

2's gameplay remains the worst in the company's library, and brings the rest of the content down. Shame, really. If they hadn't arbitrarily made the anti-Dark Souls it wouldn't be the black sheep.

MiguelItUp

I don't really enjoy 2, but I also think that 2 had some really good ideas that really should have been implemented in 3.

2's gameplay remains the worst in the company's library, and brings the rest of the content down. Shame, really. If they hadn't arbitrarily made the anti-Dark Souls it wouldn't be the black sheep.
Yeah, I can agree with that. It was just weird because it was the only Souls experience I had where I just wanted to get it over with. But with every other one I didn't want it to end. Everyone told me to give the DLC a shot and I couldn't bring myself to check it out. But maybe I really should.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"Dark souls 2 is the best Dark Souls" people only spawn when these threads are created, afterwards they go back into hibernation until their work is needed once more, where they will maketh pilgrimage when beckoned.
Masochism explains.

Griffon

I don't like ER and I don't like DS2, and those games have a lot in common (as well as their own specific issues).

It'd disappointing to see people give ER a free pass because open world. It's not a good soulslike. It looks good at first, but it's so fucking tedious and unrewarding when you really get into it.

Thankfully FROM also houses the Sekiro/AC6 director, so we know they can still do awesome shit.

Last edited:
It is the best in NG+ and on replays, but the first time through is rough. The most enjoyable content is in Ivory King DLC followed by Hole of Majula branch in Scholar of the First Sin. Nothing in the franchise comes close to those highs.

Last edited:

Stuart360

DS2 has always been my fave out of the 3 Souls games. The longest and biggest world, the most diverse environments and enemies, the most bosses, etc.
I genuinely think a lot of the poeple that dont like it feel like that because Myazaki didnt direct it.

Josemayuste

Bloodborne and DS2 just have this look and feel I enjoy very much.

Kid Slap GIF by MOODMAN

I don't like ER and I don't like DS2, and those games have a lot in common (as well as their own specific issues).

It'd disappointing to see people give ER a free pass because open world. It's not a good soulslike. It looks good at first, but it's so fucking tedious and unrewarding when you really get into it.

Thankfully FROM also houses the Sekiro/AC6 director, so we know they can still do awesome shit.
Some people actually like the open world. Mind blowing isnt it?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
If someone says they love DS2 I will always believe it was their first Souls game. Nothing will ever convince me otherwise.
Bloodborne was my first, but you are a 100 percent correct that DS2 was my first souls game.

Pejo

Obligatory order:

Elden Ring > Demon's (PS3) > Dark Souls > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 2 > Sekiro > Dark Souls 3 > Demon's (Bluepoint).

The build variety and viability is its biggest strength, IMO. Powerstance was a cool feature if you wanted to go all-in on specific stats.

If someone says they love DS2 I will always believe it was their first Souls game. Nothing will ever convince me otherwise.
I played Dark Souls III first and still dislike it with a passion. Love Scholar of the First Sin on the other hand. Jump cheesing the Dragonrider, buying the cat ring, jumping into the hole in Majula, exploring the Gutter, poisoning the Giants in the Black Gulch, severing the sword arm of the Rotten, wading through the fog of the Shaded Woods to gain entry to Drangleic Castle, joining the Pilgrims of the Dark, and being wisked away into the Kingdom of Eleum Loyce. These are only a small taste of the joys of Dark Souls 2.

Last edited:
DS2 introduced a lot of good ideas but at the same time suffered from troubled development, being overly ambitious, and hardware limitations. It also changed directors during production and a lot of ideas had to be scrapped or toned down significantly. There's a video on yt showing a prototype build of the gutter, which was drastically different than what ended up in the final product. IIRC, the original concept put a strong focus on time travel and you are essentially traveling to different places in Drangelic in different points in time.

Yes, DS2 is flawed, but it took risks. They could've played it safe and made another DS1 but they didn't. Some people hate it just because "omg it's not DS1!!". Fwiw, DS1 is far from perfect. Areas like Lost Izalith is clearly rushed and half baked.

The funny thing here is that I’ve seen people fight over Dark Souls 1, 2, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Elden Ring and even Demon’s Souls, with love/hate relationships for each game, but not many here even care to fight over Dark Souls 3.

I’d rather DS2 be remembered as the controversial esoteric artsy one, than the other one that barely anyone cares to even bring up in conversation.

gtabro

The funny thing here is that I’ve seen people fight over Dark Souls 1, 2, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Elden Ring and even Demon’s Souls, with love/hate relationships for each game, but not many here even care to fight over Dark Souls 3.

I’d rather DS2 be remembered as the controversial esoteric artsy one, than the other one that barely anyone cares to even bring up in conversation.
I can talk for hours about Dark Souls 3, superb vibe in so many areas. Cathedral of the Deep = one of the best zones From have created IMO. Just say the word my man and Imma bathe the shit out of this thread with DS3 love and praise. And some critique :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I can talk for hours about Dark Souls 3, superb vibe in so many areas. Cathedral of the Deep = one of the best zones From have created IMO. Just say the word my man and Imma bathe the shit out of this thread with DS3 love and praise. And some critique :messenger_grinning_smiling:
This is why I had to say ‘not many’.

There will always be the few who will defend or praise a game regardless, but what really matters are those ‘years later’ conversations and sitting back to observe and see how often certain games are brought up vs others on average.

Gandih42

I was initially a little disappointed with Dark Souls 2, in particular because of the final boss. But over time it really grew on me. It is very different from Dark Souls 1 in a way sequels rarely are, which I think is a huge win for it. Rather than it 'playing poorly' I'd say it plays differently, which is not objectively better or worse.

There are lots of things to criticise about it, but I still love it in all its glory.

Wildebeest

It makes sense that DS2 would be influential on the series because DS2 feels like the bland mass production version of DS with a lot of the sexy and hard to reproduce feeling missing.

tommib

DS3 was formulaic taking into account their portfolio. It felt like it was a product they didn’t want to make. That was my gut feeling when I played it.

Compare it to excellence of Sekiro and the breath of fresh air that was.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Don’t see anyone mentioning how the health cap would lower with every death, I’m glad that didn’t get passed on, it should have been patched out.

Doom85

DS3 was formulaic taking into account their portfolio. It felt like it was a product they didn’t want to make. That was my gut feeling when I played it.

Compare it to excellence of Sekiro and the breath of fresh air that was.

Nah, 3 feels to me like a proper continuation of the first game. The lore and some of the story beats were interesting, story/character elements appearing from 1 actually made sense as it’s the same continent as 1 (whereas 2 is an entirely different continent which makes some things from 1 appearing feel more forced), the world is less directly connected together compared to 1 but at least there’s no embarrassingly bad geographical fuckups like 2 infamously had, and the final fight and two of the endings are a grand finale compared to the weak ass endings of 2.

2 is still great, but by god is it flawed.

Hell, I prefer 3 over 1 a bit because while 1 does fumble in certain areas in the second half of the game (something even most fans will admit), 3 never falters in any major way for me.

And if they didn’t want to make 3, ain’t no way they would have done TWO DLCs for it. Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne both only got one, so I find it hard to believe they’d put that much extra work into a game they had no passion for. Nah, they knew this was the send off for the world of Dark Souls specifically and they put their heart into it.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

I think that's mainly because a lot of people evaluated Dark Souls III purely through the lens of how it fared as a sequel rather than on its own merits, and since it didn't make any grand departures from previous titles, it was labeled "safe" and "boring" and "forgettable" when in fact it's one of the most polished and consistently enjoyable games in the series. It's very underappreciated.

I know it's a hot take here on gaf but I agree. ER sucked and the open world completely takes all of the fun out of a souls game. It really does seem like a "sequel" to DS2 which is the worst Souls game (outside of ER) for me. I really don't see how people say things like DS2 is the best souls game. I don't think it does a singular thing better than the other souls game. Then if you play SoTFS, its even worse as its just gank squad after gank squad with completely awful and unforgettable bosses.

Funny. I abhor the forced detour to the Cathedral of the Deep to enter Irythill. I always lament the journey there being filled with Undead Hunter Charm tossing jobbers, hyper aggressive grave wardens, and thralls coming out of the woodwork. It has the easily missable Siegward in the well, Patches being an arsehole extortionist, and tons of unrewarding branches. At the end of it all you are also rewarded with the worst mandatory boss fight in the game. The only good feature in the whole place is Rosaria and I would much rather have her in Irythill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom