• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Creator Miyazaki Explains Why FromSoftware Likes the Apocalyse So Much

Gaiff

At least that's what I got from this interview.

In an interview with IGN, Armored Core 6 concept creator Hidetaka Miyazaki and director Masaru Yamamura (who was previously lead designer on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice) talked about the big Game Awards reveal and why FromSoftware seems drawn to the apocalypse setting for their games.

“I would say there are two main reasons why we tend towards these apocalyptic settings,” Miyazaki says. “One is purely direct to taste, and the preference of the game director and game developers.”

Miyazaki cites FromSoftware’s previous CEO Naotoshi Zin who directed King’s Field and the older Armored Core games. “My tastes happen to be similar, so I think that’s why you see a lot of that in modern Soulsborne titles as well. So it does depend on the director’s tastes and personal idiosyncrasies.”

The second reason Miyazaki offered is more technical saying, “a lively bright setting is a little bit beyond FromSoftware’s capability or experiences as a developer.”

According to the Dark Souls and Elden Ring director, it’s “easier” for FromSoftware to “direct and apply our own resources on what we’re good at, and what we’re used to” which in this case is “these kind of darker and drier and quieter apocalyptic settings than livelier and busy ones.”

From is smart in the sense that the lore matches the dead state of their world but this seems more like a necessity than a desire. For all the good things Elden Ring does, I do think it could have done a lot more with its world. No one is asking them to be RDR2, or Skyrim but seeing NPCs just stand there lifelessly until you talk to them in a modern game is kind of jarring.

It took until Elden Ring to finally have characters with lip sync and believe it or not, I legit saw people claim it was a good thing because it proved that "From cared so much about gameplay that they don't bother having good graphics or character models", as if this somehow would negatively impact the gameplay.

I have to admit, I'm a bit tired of their lifeless post-apocalyptic worlds and would like them to try something different. Still, I can't deny the quality of their games and based on how much Elden Ring sold, people aren't yet tired of that either.

Source

Nautilus

Banned
Jesus Eating GIF

Gaiff

Dat clickbait title.
Sure.

"The second reason Miyazaki offered is more technical saying, “a lively bright setting is a little bit beyond FromSoftware’s capability or experiences as a developer.”

Doing such a world goes beyond their capabilities or experience.

At least that's what I got from this interview.

From is smart in the sense that the lore matches the dead state of their world but this seems more like a necessity than a desire. For all the good things Elden Ring does, I do think it could have done a lot more with its world. No one is asking them to be RDR2, or Skyrim but seeing NPCs just stand there lifelessly until you talk to them in a modern game is kind of jarring.

It took until Elden Ring to finally have characters with lip sync and believe it or not, I legit saw people claim it was a good thing because it proved that "From cared so much about gameplay that they don't bother having good graphics or character models", as if this somehow would negatively impact the gameplay.

I have to admit, I'm a bit tired of their lifeless post-apocalyptic worlds and would like them to try something different. Still, I can't deny the quality of their games and based on how much Elden Ring sold, people aren't yet tired of that either.

Source
Well as much as I love there games there's still undeniably a ton of jank and lack of polish and balance in each entry.

It is amusing that the original blatantly dodgy voice acting somehow fit the world they were going and nows its somehow expected. Where as other games would be dragged over the coals for the quality.

I get the impression FROM just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Which leads to some very cool stuff but completely broken and unbalanced builds. Which is arguably part of there charm

I think its interesting to see this take actually. i think the best artist are the ones who tend to work with what they have and make something great of it. Now that from is one of the premier developers Miyazaki should have access to basically any tech he needs so he should at least once work outside of his comfortzone and make a "lively" game...you have like 6 all time games and one really risky game doesn't hurt your legacy. The non hostile town in Elden Ring stood out because you raaaaarely see that in from games. i'd love to see a world with life from miyazaki.

Last edited by a moderator:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That's valid. I appreciate that they play to their strengths, but I do think they need to push those strengths. Elden Ring is an awesome evolution of the formula, but does feel stale in some areas.

Naked Lunch

From Software has had a 'house style' of dark, bleak, depressing since their very beginning. Its also wholly unique and you can tell a From game from other devs.

The flipside of your arguement: if it was so easy - why do other devs try and fail? They feel like cheap imitators. Its all about artstyle and atmosphere - in combination with their top notch gameplay.

Also Im not sure I understand this weird fascination with technical aspects of games - I dont play games for the technical attributes. Many of today's best technical showpieces are as deep as a puddle.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Well as much as I love there games there's still undeniably a ton of jank and lack of polish and balance in each entry.

It is amusing that the original blatantly dodgy voice acting somehow fit the world they were going and nows its somehow expected. Where as other games would be dragged over the coals for the quality.

I get the impression FROM just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Which leads to some very cool stuff but completely broken and unbalanced builds. Which is arguably part of there charm
Agreed, From`s technical expertise has always been questionable at best. This was glaring with the original Dark Souls PC port which was terrible. Later on, you had Dark Souls II with pretty shit graphics that were downgraded but the game still ran poorly. Then there was Bloodborne with an amazing art direction but overall it was a bit of a technical mess with awful frame pacing. Dark Souls III was their best technical showpiece but it still ran quite poorly despite its modest graphics on consoles. Sekiro again didn`t run well and to this day, their games still have a soft cap of 60fps.

Elden Ring`s launch was mired with technical issues and it ran badly on all platforms to the point that the best way to play was PS4 specs running in BC mode on PS5.

Gaiff

Also Im not sure I understand this weird fascination with technical aspects of games - I dont play games for the technical attributes. Many of today's best technical showpieces are as deep as a puddle.
Technical isn`t just graphics. Their games traditionally run poorly even based on their looks. I don`t even care if their graphics are good or not because they got some of the best artists in the business but they got a long way to go to release polished games.

Almost all of their entries were technical messes on launch and Elden Ring was no exception. Bad frame rates, bad frame pacing, and other technical issues have a huge impact on gameplay.

SoraNoKuni

Sony needs to buy them ASAP.

No, I have no need to take these games away from anyone else, but FromSoft gameplay and art direction combined with Sony 1st party technology is kind of my dream game. Just look at dat DeS remake.
Any means so they can improve tech wise but not going exclusive is fine with me.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The second reason Miyazaki offered is more technical saying, “a lively bright setting is a little bit beyond FromSoftware’s capability or experiences as a developer.”

Dog Reaction GIF

This statement is threatening to prematurely kill some of my brain cells.

You don’t need large cities and dozens of NPCs onscreen at the same time to have a bright, lively game. I’m pretty sure FS has the skills and the experience to make a Paper Mario game. It’s just they really, really, really like gravestones. And I, for one, am a bit tired of their shtick.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dog Reaction GIF

This statement is threatening to prematurely kill some of my brain cells.

You don’t need large cities and dozens of NPCs onscreen at the same time to have a bright, lively game. I’m pretty sure FS has the skills and the experience to make a Paper Mario game. It’s just they really, really, really like gravestones. And I, for one, am a bit tired of their shtick.
I don't think he answers most questions completely truthfully in these interviews.

koloss85

Neo Member
Yeah definitely not rdr2 or GTA v levels of populated worlds, but I'd love them to do something maybe not post apocalyptic. Like like imagine their worlds during their Apex rather than all in ruins and barely populated. Just a little more interactivity with more NPCs too.
Then again wouldn't want it to turn into most other modern games of this style so if it has to be either/or, then I'd rather them stay the same.

Sony needs to buy them ASAP.

No, I have no need to take these games away from anyone else, but FromSoft gameplay and art direction combined with Sony 1st party technology is kind of my dream game. Just look at dat DeS remake.
Sony would kill everything good about Fromsoft. Pretty sure the DeS remake is hated by Fromsoft

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yeah its obviously a budget and design/experience thing,
It works and nobody complains, but it makes their games feel too similar imo, i finally lost interest on their (almost) zombie worlds.

At least it makes me appreciate what other developers offer in terms of gameplay, narrative, interaction etc Breath of the Wild for example is set on a similar 'post apocalyptic' world, including the classics ruins eldritch abomination and ruined city, but it makes space for lively towns as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom