• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Tencent working on mobile version of 'Elden Ring'

GrayChild

China's Tencent Holdings has been working to adapt acclaimed action role-playing console game "Elden Ring" into a mobile version, three people familiar with the matter said, as it searches for a new hit to refresh its ageing stock of games.
The world's largest gaming company by revenue acquired the licensing rights for the game by FromSoftware in 2022 and set up a team of a few dozen people to work on a prototype, the same year it bought a 16% stake in the Japanese game maker, the people said. But progress has been slow, they added.

Tencent did not disclose its plans to develop a mobile version of the game at the time. "Elden Ring" was co-developed by "Game of Thrones" author George R. R. Martin and veteran game designer Hidetaka Miyazaki and is an action game where one battles mythical monsters in a fantasy world.
The game, released in 2022 for $60, sold about 20 million copies in its first year, making it the world's second best-selling game for the year. Its fans include billionaire Elon Musk.

While "Elden Ring" was designed as a premium game with a set price tag, Tencent wants to make it a free-to-play game with in-app purchases, similar to the hit game "Genshin Impact" developed by its Chinese rival miHoYo, the people said.
But the design of "Elden Ring", which focuses on a complete experience after a one-time purchase, is at odds with Tencent's planned model.

Tencent and FromSoftware did not respond to requests for comment. The sources declined to be named as they were not permitted to speak to media.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Perrott

Gold Member
A mobile FromSoft RPG sounds like a great idea.

Too bad that Tencent are a bunch of hacks with zero good taste, so they'll end up blowing this chance.

A mobile FromSoft RPG sounds like a great idea.

Too bad that Tencent are a bunch of hacks with zero good taste, so they'll end up blowing this chance.
They would need to nerf reaction times, movesets, and/or animations.

The only game I can see working as a mobile game series is Sekiro since it’s essentially a rhythm game with one weapon class.

Ar¢tos

But doesn't the IP belong to Namco?

Edit: Just check, FromSoftware owns the IP.

Maybe its time for a hostile takeover by Sony before Tencent grabs even more of the company...

Last edited:

Bkdk

gacha elden ring, will only play it if the character design is great and highly customizable with many awesome costumes, one of the weakness in elden ring is its character customization so hopefully this could focus on that while keeping the monster and world artstyle similar.

First thing I did after opening your thread, was search for the word free-to-play, so I could dismiss this completely.

Thank you for mentioning that part, Tencent.

Glad to know you aren't interested in making actual video games for mobile, like Monster Hunter Stories, or make a REAL port, of a video game, like Streets of Rage 4.

MagnesD3

Shit like this is terrifying, gaming is already a mostly shit landscape, from software is one of the only beacons of hope, I fear its corruption and downfall. Business men stay away.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It was only a matter of time, with all the people complaining ER is the easiest Souls ever and completely accessible even for the dirty casuals.

I kinda want to see this made, just for the reactions :messenger_beaming:

Just imagine if you can roll for which Maiden you'll have. There won't be a bank big enough for Tencent to store all the money from Sellen simps.

Top Bottom