• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software's new game leaked: "Elden Ring", a new world by Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R. R. Martin

Ar¢tos

Why does every thread about From Software turns in Easy-mode-begging?
Can't people just GIT GUD or play another game?
I can't play fighting games because I don't have the reflexes required for them, but I don't invade every fighting game thread begging for slower gameplay, I ACCEPT that those games aren't for me and move on.
SJWs are really ruining gaming.

I would say Sekiro was the first truly difficult From game. Soulsborne all had fairly exploitable enemy AI, and if you ever really hit a roadblock you could always use a summons.
Sekiro was truly "git gud" and it was one of the toughest games I've ever played and my first console was a freakin Intellivision.
Honorable mention for Old Hunters though, that shit was brutal.

I would say Sekiro was the first truly difficult From game. Soulsborne all had fairly exploitable enemy AI, and if you ever really hit a roadblock you could always use a summons.
Sekiro was truly "git gud" and it was one of the toughest games I've ever played and my first console was a freakin Intellivision.
I've played and beaten all of the Soulsborne games (and Nioh) and I disagree. Sure, Sekiro was hard, but a lot of the difficulty stemmed from it being different. Once you drop the Souls habits it really wasn't that bad.

That said, the lack of summoning is significant if you're struggling.

scydrex

With Soulsborne i just level up and that's it... i have never used a summons. Sekiro i don't think i will play it.

Raven117

Are you comparing a videogame with a book?

People seem to not know that GRRM has done amazing scripts for TV, like Beauty and the Beast, The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Hell, people seem to forget that GRRM has written a lot of stuff before Game Of Thrones, some of it were short stories.
Lighten up amigo.

CyberPanda

Banned
That'll be the worse thing to happen to the video game industry.
Lol no. These companies can use direct like announcements or hold X0 or PSX instead. They are less expensive, and all these companies as it is complain about development costs, and everything getting expensive. They can easily save a lot more doing these methods. Last couple of years E3 has gotten worse and worse. It is nothing compared to what E3 was during the 1990s-2000.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lol no. These companies can use direct like announcements or hold X0 or PSX instead. They are less expensive, and all these companies as it is complain about development costs, and everything getting expensive. They can easily save a lot more doing these methods. Last couple of years E3 has gotten worse and worse. It is nothing compared to what E3 was during the 1990s-2000.

WhyNotBoth.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
And there better be no framepacing issue or i'm gonna tweet about it too.

It’s a From game, no doubt prior to release all the way to up a year after release the internet will be filled with complaints about frame pacing and easy mode. Cos we aren’t sick to death of hearing those old gripes over and over and over

somerset

All I saw was the mechanical arm on the lady, and got that this is actually a gameplay sequel to Shadows- or anotherway that the devs are bonded to their *bionic commando* mechanic. Which isn't a bad thing so long as they do both the bionic games *and* the souls games.

Reyziak

Itll be like dark souls. Except more wieners, incest and a terrible final arc.
GRRM is not the show writer for Game of Thrones, he writes the books the show is based off of. However you can blame him partially since the most recent Song of Ice And Fire book to release was book 5. Books six and seven are apparently written and unreleased, or are currently being written. So the final arc of the show going to crap is because they ran out of material to adapt.

Codes 208

GRRM is not the show writer for Game of Thrones, he writes the books the show is based off of. However you can blame him partially since the most recent Song of Ice And Fire book to release was book 5. Books six and seven are apparently written and unreleased, or are currently being written. So the final arc of the show going to crap is because they ran out of material to adapt.
Dont read too much into my comment, i was just being facetious. Just in case i didnt make it clear in the OT for elden ring im actually excited for the game.

Why does every thread about From Software turns in Easy-mode-begging?
Can't people just GIT GUD or play another game?
I can't play fighting games because I don't have the reflexes required for them, but I don't invade every fighting game thread begging for slower gameplay, I ACCEPT that those games aren't for me and move on.
SJWs are really ruining gaming.

We don't need an easy mode but we also don't need them to just keep making their games progressively harder and harder because it's going to reach a point of being flat out unplayable.

Sekiro is about as hard as a game would ever need to be, we don't need anything much harder than that.

Wonder if we will meet Robertoooo

You didn't understand the meaning behind that?

Roberto is a terminally ill little boy from Europe whose father brought him to Ashina to try to find the rejuvenating waters to cure him, his dad is who you fight, read the description on the Firework prosthetic to learn this.

RedVIper

Banned
We don't need an easy mode but we also don't need them to just keep making their games progressively harder and harder because it's going to reach a point of being flat out unplayable.

Sekiro is about as hard as a game would ever need to be, we don't need anything much harder than that.

I found Sekiro significantly easier than the souls games, I died more on my recent DS play trough than I did on my first Sekiro playtrough. Parrying is super op. I actually enjoy the game more on NG+ where you take chip damage.

I found Sekiro significantly easier than the souls games, I died more on my recent DS play trough than I did on my first Sekiro playtrough. Parrying is super op. I actually enjoy the game more on NG+ where you take chip damage.

Once you get the hang of it the game becomes a lot easier but it takes a long time to get the hang of it and I would say it never becomes easy, just relatively easier and some of the bosses are just a nightmare.

Dark Souls is tough but Sekiro is even tougher since you have to be so much faster, Sekiro is hard as a mother fucker, I'm honestly very impressed with myself that I did manage to beat it.

RedVIper

Banned
Once you get the hang of it the game becomes a lot easier but it takes a long time to get the hang of it and I would say it never becomes easy, just relatively easier and some of the bosses are just a nightmare.

Dark Souls is tough but Sekiro is even tougher since you have to be so much faster, Sekiro is hard as a mother fucker, I'm honestly very impressed with myself that I did manage to beat it.

I think you might have been stuck in DS mode and couldn't adapt.

The only boss that gave me any trouble was the last one, mostly because it's a really long fight.

But hei, I'm glad you managed to finish it and you feel good in doing so, that's kind of the point.

I think you might have been stuck in DS mode and couldn't adapt.

The only boss that gave me any trouble was the last one, mostly because it's a really long fight.

But hei, I'm glad you managed to finish it and you feel good in doing so, that's kind of the point.

That last boss took me 3 whole nights.

I was close to just giving up when I finally beat him and damn did it feel great.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That last boss took me 3 whole nights.

I was close to just giving up when I finally beat him and damn did it feel great.

last boss took me at least that many. i only played for a few hours a day, but towards the end, i spent several days on some of those bosses. Guardian Ape and Demon of Hatred both gave me a lot of grief at first too. to be honest they were pains all the way through to NG+++. some of the early minibosses were harder than later bosses, the combat was that good. i remember fighting the Seven Spears guy at the Reservoir for several hours. a pointless fight but so so so much fun.

i loved how much they switched up combat. you really had to think differently than Souls. the Mikiri Counter took the longest, i remember fighting and telling myself "when you see the red danger sign, dash straight into them" and over and over by muscle memory i was dodging left or right instead and getting destroyed. i was using my Souls instincts. in Souls you dodge through the attack, not straight into the boss. Sekiro was asking you to do the one thing you never would do in a Souls game. i thought that was pretty brilliant. that Mikiri ended up being so crucial was a bonus. once you nailed it, you could absolutely destroy an enemy.

can't wait to see what they do with Elden Ring. now that swimming is in, and so, so very awesome, i hope we get a cool pirate town, some underwater caves, maybe some fish monsters to fight, or something. who knows? fighting twin Headless underwater was the kind of uniquely surreal, bizzare, original experience i love in From games. i know this will be full of them.

Last edited:
last boss took me at least that many. i only played for a few hours a day, but towards the end, i spent several days on some of those bosses. Guardian Ape and Demon of Hatred both gave me a lot of grief at first too. to be honest they were pains all the way through to NG+++. some of the early minibosses were harder than later bosses, the combat was that good. i remember fighting the Seven Spears guy at the Reservoir for several hours. a pointless fight but so so so much fun.

i loved how much they switched up combat. you really had to think differently than Souls. the Mikiri Counter took the longest, i remember fighting and telling myself "when you see the red danger sign, dash straight into them" and over and over by muscle memory i was dodging left or right instead and getting destroyed. i was using my Souls instincts. in Souls you dodge through the attack, not straight into the boss. Sekiro was asking you to do the one thing you never would do in a Souls game. i thought that was pretty brilliant. that Mikiri ended up being so crucial was a bonus. once you nailed it, you could absolutely destroy an enemy.

can't wait to see what they do with Elden Ring. now that swimming is in, and so, so very awesome, i hope we get a cool pirate town, some underwater caves, maybe some fish monsters to fight, or something. who knows? fighting twin Headless underwater was the kind of uniquely surreal, bizzare, original experience i love in From games. i know this will be full of them.
This gave me Orphan Of Kos flashbacks. Fuck that fish faced motherfucker.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
been watching and rewatching the launch trailer. man it is so good!

the part where he repeats "Elden Ring, O Elden Ring" while the Valkyrie attaches her right arms is my favorite. feels like a real old myth or legend!

ah i can't wait...

Chromata

been watching and rewatching the launch trailer. man it is so good!

the part where he repeats "Elden Ring, O Elden Ring" while the Valkyrie attaches her right arms is my favorite. feels like a real old myth or legend!

ah i can't wait...

Fromsoft does a good job with their lore and launch trailers. I'm also excited for this because I miss Fromsoft's open world RPG elements.

I enjoyed Sekiro but it was more constrained and built around one play style.

Maybe GRRM can contract D and D to come in and help out with some of the writing since they did such a bang up job with Season 8 of GoT.

sublimit

Banned
Sekiro was a huge step back for me, so I hope this is more dark souls.
I wouldn't say "a step back" but it was definitely more towards a very different direction that wasn't as interesting as Souls and Bloodborne for me. Thankfully Elden Ring seems like a true improvement and the "next step" of the Souls/Bloodborne formula.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sekiro has an open world, tho, and you can tackle things in really many different ways. i do get the desire to go back to RPG style, but i think it is easy for people to think Sekiro was "more of the same" when in reality it introduced all kinds of improvements and additions to exploration-driven gameplay. now we can actually JUMP! there is a real jump button. we can swim. we can even swim under water. we can fight under water. we can climb up cliff sides. hang off ledges. there is a lot of stuff Sekiro introduced that i'm looking forward to being combined with the more RPG elements of Souls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom