• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport releases October 10, 2023 | Xbox Showcase 2023

fatmarco

Did anyone notice the strange use of SSR on the car at this point at 7.27? You can see the driver being reflected in the Supra when he shouldn't be. So obviously SSR is used as a fall back option? But why would they bother using it here?

CTcKOgb.jpg

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Did anyone notice the strange use of SSR on the car at this point at 7.27? You can see the driver being reflected in the Supra when he shouldn't be. So obviously SSR is used as a fall back option? But why would they bother using it here?

CTcKOgb.jpg
I noticed it too, it's even worse when the driver is moving from side to side.
Going frame by frame it looks like the car has self-RT reflections, but the driver occludes the reflection, either SSR or the driver is being included in the RT but in front of all RT reflections even if the driver should not be reflected as he is closer to the camera, in front of the car and its mirror.

Even with SSR the driver would not be reflected here.

I guess it's just an RT issue that will be fixed before release.

You can even se the driver geometry going through the mirror as it occludes it, it's too sharp to be SSR I think, I would say it's just an issue with the driver model from the track being included in the RT scene, but just put over it and not really there in 3D.

Here you can se on the window the reflection of the mirror, and I think you can see the left side of the mirror being reflected, so it's RT. You can even see the side of the car and its window being reflected on the mirror.
yiMbAzj.png

When the driver moves to the left (being on the right of the mirror), he is appearing from the right in the window, so on the right of the mirror reflection (if he was at the same level as the mirror, he should appear from the left of the mirror in the reflection, but he is in front, he should not even be reflected)
TgeI8PH.png

A few frames later, its reflection is clipping through the mirror, as if it was in the same place as the mirror, clipping the part that is hidden, like if it was SSR, but you can still see the reflection of the left side of the mirror, which could not be done with SSR
LlqMYzN.png

When almost the whole mirror is occluded, you can only see its side being reflected
fTXF92G.png

Same here with the Supra driver, he should not be reflected on the back window
nZ0n0sO.png

Maybe they wanted to cheaply add driver the driver reflection in the RT view by mixing it with what is rendered in front, like SSR, to avoid having to render the pilot in the RT but it looks really bad.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Going frame by frame it looks like the car has self-RT reflections, but the driver occludes the reflection, either SSR or the driver is being included in the RT but in front of all RT reflections even if the driver should not be reflected as he is closer to the camera, in front of the car and its mirror.

You can even se the driver geometry going through the mirror as it occludes it, it's too sharp to be SSR I think, I would say it's just an issue with the driver model from the track being included in the RT scene, but just put over it and not really there in 3D.

Here you can se on the window the reflection of the mirror, and I think you can see the left side of the mirror being reflected, so it's RT. You can even see the side of the car and its window being reflected on the mirror.
yiMbAzj.png

When the driver moves to the left (being on the right of the mirror), he is appearing from the right in the window, so on the right of the mirror reflection (if he was at the same level as the mirror, he should appear from the left of the mirror in the reflection, but he is in front, he should not even be reflected)
TgeI8PH.png

A few frames later, its reflection is clipping through the mirror, as if it was in the same place as the mirror, clipping the part that is hidden, like if it was SSR, but you can still see the reflection of the left side of the mirror, which could not be done with SSR
LlqMYzN.png

When almost the whole mirror is occluded, you can only see its side being reflected
fTXF92G.png

nZ0n0sO.png

Maybe they wanted to cheaply add driver the driver reflection in the RT view by mixing it with what is rendered in front, like SSR, to avoid having to render the pilot in the RT but it looks really bad.
Those look like very inaccurate cube maps.

oldergamer

yiMbAzj.png

TgeI8PH.png

LlqMYzN.png

fTXF92G.png

nZ0n0sO.png

Why are you over analyzing a pre-release. It likely has a lot of bugs.

ShakenG

Some great points. I go back and forth between being pessimistic and excited. Some of the things they're doing seem nice, but turn10 has been a huge disappointment ever since Forza4. Especially 7 was 1 step forward and two steps back.
I think it depends on what game you're looking for as to what will impress or disapoint you. If you already love the previous titles and want more sim.. you may be excited. If you're looking for a giant leap towards full SIM.. you may be disappointed.

Stuff like the colour tone can always be tweaked, poly did it in GT7. They adjusted it over time and improved it. Comes down to whether they do or not i suppose.

Same goes for car physics, its all able to be improved through updates.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The environment looks really nice, especially the trees. The interiors of the cars, however, look absolutely awful!

All in all, this doesn't look like a jump over last-gen or cross-gen racing games. It looks very "last-gen" but may have next-gen improvements in gameplay. Can't say anything about it until we have our hands on it.

The environment looks really nice, especially the trees. The interiors of the cars, however, look absolutely awful!

All in all, this doesn't look like a jump over last-gen or cross-gen racing games. It looks very "last-gen" but may have next-gen improvements in gameplay. Can't say anything about it until we have our hands on it.

Completely agree. Something about lighting and materials interaction, T10 just can't seem to nail it in the way Polyphony has with GT7. Still a good looking game--and for me, I'm happy with 360-era racing game graphics, so it's all gravy.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Fuck me, it looks incredible!

Wheel and cockpit is getting pulled out.
I wouldn't say it looks incredible. I'm sure it will in a lot of situations. But they never seem to pick a good combination of time weather colour car etc. For a start that type of colour car looks a bit like a toy in real life. They should fuck that racing line off for demos and get someone who can actually drive.

SimTourist

It does, with all the physics and AI improvements and real time day cycles and weather.
That's what sets it apart from last gen console racers.
Plenty of lastgen and even last last gen racers have better AI, time cycles and weather, not exactly something crazy.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Can't wait, i wanted to play Forza Motorsport 7 for now but it's not available anywhere.

Physical copy on Xbox or not so legal means on PC are your best options. But depending how good the reboot is, it might become obsolete in 2 months time anyway.

I'd recommend 3/4 if you want some Motorsport action in the meantime. Timeless classics.

As a big big fan of racing game graphics... I'm mid with it.

Track environment is better than Gran Turismo 7, but not by much, certainly not as much as I expected. It has really nice trees and vegetation, with very little pop-in as far as I seen.

Car models on the outside is around the same ballpark as GT7, apart from the way light interacts with the taillights, which is better in GT. However, in Forza, the cockpit is fully rendered or close to it, in GT it can look like a blurry mess when you are using the external camera.

Interior wise, materials and lightning/color grading, I'm sorry but GT still takes the cake. The way lightning interacts with the model and the cockpit material is actually way ahead in Gran Turismo. This is not a slight though, as in this specific thing, GT is among the best if not THE best.

I do think the game behind the tech will be better than GT7.

Oh, the exhaust flames are just regular FH5 animations, not dynamic/random like IRL or GT7, which can be affected by wind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom