• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

Dynasty8

I hope they don't have that "previously on FFVII" crap...or that "scenes of the next chapter". All that stuff did not work on MGSV and is also annoying to see on Telltale games.

I'll buy all the parts since FFVII is my favorite game of all time, but I'm not happy about this at all. I'm sure they'll eventually release a full edition with all the episodes and maybe extras down the road...

This is the one game I wouldn't have minded waiting until 2018-2019 for just one special release rather than 3-5 releases.

Apath

I don't really see the problem. Granted I'm not a huge FF7 fan so my emotions aren't so innately entwined, but I can't see any downside to releasing it in parts.
Yeah, The Hobbit was much better for being split into three parts.

I know it's not a great example, but this reeks of cash grab all the same. I cannot imagine fragmenting the games will make it better, and knowing Square's record, we cannot expect these games in a timely fashion either.

And I never even liked FFVII.

Didn't Square say they wouldn't remake FFVII until they made a FF game that fans loved as much as some of the older SNES/PS1 stuff? I think they also mentioned that it would take 12yrs. lol

Having the game divided up into multiple releases is just a bunch of nonsense. They know full well(as do we)they'll release the complete version later, which they could have done in the first place, but you know, money...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'll buy all the parts since FFVII is my favorite game of all time, but I'm not happy about this at all. I'm sure they'll eventually release a full edition with all the episodes and maybe extras down the road...

Pretty much this. Not happy about it at all but it's a game that I just can't not buy. Tremendous sentimental value attached to FF7 - not my all time favourite but definitely top 5.

Handcuffed by Square Enix on this one, dammit.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, The Hobbit was much better for being split into three parts.

I know it's not a great example, but this reeks of cash grab all the same. I cannot imagine fragmenting the games will make it better, and knowing Square's record, we cannot expect these games in a timely fashion either.

And I never even liked FFVII.

But they're not making 3 games from 1, they're segmenting 1 game into parts. It's like if they released The Lord of the Rings trilogy as a 21-part TV series. You might not like the segmented nature of it, but you could always wait until the whole thing is released and binge.

You could argue that the sheer existence of a FF7 remake is a cash-grab, I don't see how serialising changes that. And you're right. Square Enix does take ages making games, so would people rather the whole thing at once ten years from now?

I dunno, just my opinion.

joseph

Banned
..they'll release the complete version later, which they could have done in the first place, but you know, money...
There's two kinds of money...

One that is earned and glady given and one that is swindled and bitterly given.

Let's hope it's the former and not the latter.

Maybe they'll release episodes first and then when they're all done... The full version will come out but have an over world added in, connecting all the episodes, for the extra $$$. Your GOTY edition.

papo

But that is silly. The FFVII world map wasn't to actual scale. If you want that fidelity then you want an actual world which will never happen. If you want a pretty looking FFVII world map then that is easily doable (see Type-0 for the PSP level version). Just make it a pretty miniture world and let cloud walk/drive/fly through it and have the cities be miniture versions just like in FFVII. If we have full The Witcher 3 style world then it just seems silly. Either you get a full sized world that feels very very small or you have a very very small world that feels big.

I agree, let it be a scaled overworld map like the original. The thing is SE started doing 1 to 1 scaled regions which ended up being smaller than the classic overworld, but still would be a heck of a lot to do with a FFVII remake unless the cut a lot of corners. That's why I say SE hasn't done a true FF game since IX.

Ahnez

Like I said in the other thread

I hope the game connects the game files when you download all the parts, so you can play like if it is a single, huge game

If each part is 50GB + patches.. lol

BibiMaghoo

M°°nblade;188291123 said:
It's 2015. You don't need world maps to find hidden stuff anymore when the whole world is 3D.

It's 2015. You don't need world maps to get a great sense of scale of a world wide adventure anymore when the whole world is 3D.

A world map is needed - no matter what year it is - because it was an integral part of the game they are remaking. It mattered, it was not just a random thing. Quoting the date as an argument against that is pretty dumb.

Hasney

You should play FF12 and revise your statement.. and assuming you mean all S-E games, play Nier and delete your post

FFXII would like a word with you. It helped they actually had a decent script to work with too.

I love FF12, but that voice acting is still bad. It's good by SE standards, but not generally good.

Nier, yeah, I'll get on that at some point.

Yeah this is crappy news but not surprising with this company. I'm personally not interesting in a streamlined FF VII like experience. They really have no idea why some people like their games. No overworld or back tracking. Wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be chock full of quicktime events. But it's pretty, thats the important thing.

"Oh yeah square enix, modernise it! Get rid of that old battle system, I can't play that dated shit anymore, give me a button mashing real time battle system! Give me fancy new graphics! Give me your amazing worldclass, top of the line voice acting! give me your 30 minute FMVs with stunted dialogue that sounds like it was written by a teenager! This is what the FF7 remake needs to be!"

The Schadenfreude is real after reading that other thread, you guys want a modernised FF7, well here you go, enjoy your episodic (and most likely DLC ridden) "remake".

Krentist

Neo Member
tumblr_inline_nz0k39S1F81r0pv4m_500.gif

Welp, well done, Square Enix. I went from tentatively preparing to buy this game to now waiting until the whole damn thing's completed and then waiting until that collection is heavily discounted.

If they actually do flesh each part out like a full game I will buy this immediately for full price. But then again by the time it comes out on PC all the parts will be out already.

jett

D-Member
I'm willing to pay no more then $80 for the complete pack. Make your move Square.

How silly are you people.

There's no "complete pack."

This is not an episodic release.

FF7 is a franchise of its own now, and will be made up of several individual games.

Krentist

Neo Member
How silly are you people.

There's no "complete pack."

This is not an episodic release.

FF7 is a franchise of its own now, and will be made up of several individual games.

FF7 was already a franchise, but these are indicated as "multi-parts" rather than spin-offs, thus it's totally logical to suggest that at some point they could be collected together in one SKU, like a GOTY edition or some such. If anything, adding a new SKU might net them additional money anyway, so it would make sense to do so.

I said several times after the announcement that recreating the game's environments and enemies in full, high-definition 3D was not realistic. Episodic releases goes some way toward addressing the problem. But I still think we're in for some substantial cuts.

I don't understand why some are still having issues with understanding what Square is doing.

They are Starcraft 2ing the game. We don't know how many there will be yet, but I am guessing three full-sized games, each priced at 60$US.

why not just release a multi-disk package for $60, I wouldn't mind waiting say late 2017 early 2018 for the full game

maybe not all, but I can wait square...

Sciortino

why not just release a multi-disk package for $60, I wouldn't mind waiting say late 2017 early 2018 for the full game

By how things are sounding, all episodes wont be released by 2017-2018. I'm pretty sure the first episode alone will be released in 2017.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

it would be more like 2020. you are delusional if you think they will finish the whole game in a year lol -- its practically 2016 already

But that is silly. The FFVII world map wasn't to actual scale. If you want that fidelity then you want an actual world which will never happen. If you want a pretty looking FFVII world map then that is easily doable (see Type-0 for the PSP level version). Just make it a pretty miniture world and let cloud walk/drive/fly through it and have the cities be miniture versions just like in FFVII. If we have full The Witcher 3 style world then it just seems silly. Either you get a full sized world that feels very very small or you have a very very small world that feels big.

I don't see a traditional overworld happening. They've already decided to go with photo-realistic aesthetic(for the most part), and transitioning from that to a classic top-down overworld with miniature models and towns would look very silly.

I can see them either going with a TW3 open-world approach or something closer to Versus XIII's original overworld design

Dark Oni

what stupidity when will all the episodes be out? i don't want to play 1 episode and wait years for the next one possibly on different systems too

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you suck square couldn't even get a remake right

what stupidity when will all the episodes be out? i don't want to play 1 episode and wait years for the next one possibly on different systems too

Then dont buy the thing until all episodes are out. You think we would have got the gamer sooner if it was all done before release?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just for clarification guys, its not "EPISODIC", its not like the walking dead series.

They are making separate games completely, tied together with one story. They are gonna change things up to make each one its own arc.

Just for clarification guys, its not "EPISODIC", its not like the walking dead series.

They are making separate games completely, tied together with one story. They are gonna change things up to make each one its own arc.

It's ridiculous that at any point people brought in the term "episodic" and subsequently people started likening it to 2-3 hour Telltale structure. It's a Square JRPG for christ sake.

JayBabay

I don't see a traditional overworld happening. They've already decided to go with photo-realistic aesthetic(for the most part), and transitioning from that to a classic top-down overworld with miniature models and towns would look very silly.

I can see them either going with a TW3 open-world approach or something closer to Versus XIII's original overworld design

Likely fast travel in place with a similar system to FFXII- MMO style open areas that lead into each other, albeit with more than one exit in each area that can lead to to the towns. Tales did this as well, I can live with it I guess though I would have really liked a top down view with beautiful assets like grass, rivers, bridges houses, farms rendered in the same engine. That would look phenomenal!

A world map is needed - no matter what year it is - because it was an integral part of the game they are remaking. It mattered, it was not just a random thing. Quoting the date as an argument against that is pretty dumb.
Correction: A world map was needed back in 1996 to connect locations together and allow exploration. In an age where open world is the norm and there's no content that needs to be connected anymore, demanding a world map as an integral part of a remake is pretty dumb.

Ishida

Banned
It's ridiculous that at any point people brought in the term "episodic" and subsequently people started likening it to 2-3 hour Telltale structure. It's a Square JRPG for christ sake.

No one is saying that each episode will be 2-3 hours long.

But they will definitely divide the original FFVII story into several parts. Perhaps each one will last around 15-20 hours, but it WILL be episodic.

Maybe you should wait for more info before loading the pistol, eh?
Man this place...

You could say this a million times and have a STICKY thread on the gaming side expressing this, but it still won't stop people from being completely daft about the entire situation and jumping canyon lengths to conclusions. Sadly.

BibiMaghoo

M°°nblade;188426999 said:
Correction: A world map was needed back in 1996 to connect locations together and allow exploration. In an age where open world is the norm and there's no content that needs to be connected anymore, demanding a world map as an integral part of a remake is pretty dumb.

A world map wasn't needed then for any game either. It is however, integral to the game we got, and the game that is being remade. When I point out that the map was used as an important part of the game, and you say it doesn't need to be, does that make my statement wrong? No. It is as vital now to the essence of what the game is as it was then, and you have given no argument to counter that, you've just suggested it can be done in different ways. It can be, but it shouldn't be. FF7 without a world map is not FF7. This remake is called FF7. It's not a wild expectation or demand, but something the game will be lacking without. Exploring an area, and exploring a world are not the same at all.

Welp I'll be waiting for that GOTY version with all the episodes....and then maybe I won't buy it because the luster would have faded at that point.
First Hitman and now this....oh square enix, and you were doing so well too.

A world map wasn't needed then for any game either. It is however, integral to the game we got, and the game that is being remade. When I point out that the map was used as an important part of the game, and you say it doesn't need to be, does that make my statement wrong? No. It is as vital now to the essence of what the game is as it was then, and you have given no argument to counter that, you've just suggested it can be done in different ways. It can be, but it shouldn't be. FF7 without a world map is not FF7. This remake is called FF7. It's not a wild expectation or demand, but something the game will be lacking without.
Exploring an area, and exploring a world are not the same at all.
It doesn't matter if a world map wasn't needed for fifa '98. A world map was needed for the type of game FFVII wanted to be at a time where there were no alternative approaches to deliver the same or an equivalent experience because of technical limitations.
The idea that alternatives shouldn't be explored although those alternatives have in fact become the norm for modern gaming (or at least the type of game S-E wants to make today), simply because of the name this remake happens to carry, is an irrational argument. Ofcourse a game without a world map is not going to be FFVII. But it's not going to be FFVII with a world map either, because FFVII was not a multi-part series either, neither did it have action combat. Ofcourse exploring areas is not the same as exploring a world. But it's not supposed to be the same at all in the first place. It's a remake. It allows freedom to change the emphasis of the experience. It will have new features but it will be lacking a few. That's not necessarily bad and pretty inevitable when you're making a remake of a 20 years old game.

FF7 was already a franchise, but these are indicated as "multi-parts" rather than spin-offs, thus it's totally logical to suggest that at some point they could be collected together in one SKU, like a GOTY edition or some such. If anything, adding a new SKU might net them additional money anyway, so it would make sense to do so.

Best case scenario you're looking at a remaster collection in a generation or two. These aren't separate dlc packs coming to the same game. They're going to be multiple full fledged releases.

M°°nblade;188432921 said:
. That's not necessarily bad and pretty inevitable when you're making a remake of a 20 years old game.

It is bad to that particular customer if that is what the individual customer wants, and I would argue it is not an inevitability, but a conscious decision made by Square Enix.

Top Bottom