• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 (VII) Rebirth takes 150-200 hours to Platinum

GymWolf

Seriously
As someone who actually doesn't know any FF, maybe a SNES one..., I wonder how you remake one game, clocking at 40h by guides, into two games with 60 + 150to200, plus Intergrade, and one final one still to come for completing the trilogy plan. (Or is Rebirth now including the conclusion of the remake process?)
They are milking the shit out of it, that's why.

People are gonna tell you that dogshit tier sidecontent, unnecessary bloat and violating the original plot with nomura quality writing are good reasons to do that, more power to them i guess.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Seriously
As someone who actually doesn't know any FF, maybe a SNES one..., I wonder how you remake one game, clocking at 40h by guides, into two games with 60 + 150to200, plus Intergrade, and one final one still to come for completing the trilogy plan. (Or is Rebirth now including the conclusion of the remake process?)
It's the same thing that happened with "The Hobbit" movie.
Something that could be done in a single movie was broken into three separate movies with lots of padding to make it last longer and to generate more revenue.

In this case, not only they added padding, but also some Kingdom Hearts fanfic story to the mix + bad acting + bad cinematography.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nah, this one has got the bloat in the right places

b0d55860ec5bb9ec926bf982ad205eae77bc3cd3.gif
What you call bloat is Plot and Character Development.

Though to be accurate the game is 50% cutscenes, 20% minigames, 20% combat, 10% fanservice.

Probably gonna playthrough it twice once on PS5 and another on PC.

It's better then Remake in most area's but the combat will take getting used to after spending 100+ hours being too used to GBF: Relink's fantastic battle system.

It's like playing Bayonetta and then Dynasty Warriors and you've completely forgotten how to play.

GymWolf

This is different. Playing Remake on Hard immediately would actually be impossible if it were an option, as even carrying over Level 50 characters with max HP/MP+ materia into Hard Mode with New Game Plus, the enemies still hit really hard, plus you’re further limited by not being able to use items anymore. A fresh new start with Level 1 characters and no materia, yeah, you’d not be able to clear the first chapter save MAYBE the most god tier players ever willing to deal with every basic enemy being a huge damage sponge.
Still retarded when the alternative is a normal mode that is really a kiddie mode for 98% of the game, people should have the choice to have an actual challenge during their first, most important and probably only run they are gonna do (let's be real, stats at hand, majority of people don't even complete games once, let alone multiple times)

Also, countless games have super hard modes available during the first run, let the player decide the type of experience they want.

I'm not even talking about the platinum, i give 2 shits about that.

It's not even just square, a lot of shithead developers do the same for apparently no reason other than padding the longevity of their games.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ll play once with my GameFly rental, and maybe my second playthrough when the game gets added to PS+ in a year or two.

Quantum253

Lol, the plight of being a trophy addict

Let’s do this
Is it bad that playing a game is more based on the trophies/difficulty to obtain and time to platinum over the enjoyment of a title? There's been a few titles I wanted to try out, but didn't because I didn't want an incomplete trophy list or not plat. I fully understand the plight of trophy addiction... I'm working on FF7 remake plat and dressed to the nines has been an annoyance. Rebirth will be a great journey though

Lethal01

Still retarded when the alternative is a normal mode that is really a kiddie mode for 98% of the game, people should have the choice to have an actual challenge during their first, most important and probably only run they are gonna do (let's be real, stats at hand, majority of people don't even complete games once, let alone multiple times)

Also, countless games have super hard modes available during the first run, let the player decide the type of experience they want.

It's not even just square, a lot of shithead developers do the same for apparently no reason other than padding the longevity of their games.

Honestly the solution is simple, just dont use the max health and damage upgrades unless you actually are feeling challenged..

GymWolf

Honestly the solution is simple, just dont use the max health and damage upgrades unless you actually are feeling challenged..
Nah, that's just bad balancement, the player should never handycap itself.

Being excited for the character progression is literally a staple of an rpg.

The simple solution is to waste a bit of time balancing your difficulty modes and having them all available for the first run, and even if you have 1 or 2 that are severely unbalanced, still give the player the freedom of choice to have the experience they want, it's not rocket science.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm waiting till all three parts are released before starting this whole game.

I imagine it will be 500 hours to platinum the whole game!

Lethal01

Nah, that's just bad balancement, the player should never handycap itself.

Being excited for the character progression is literally a staple of an rpg.

The simple solution is to waste a bit of time balancing your difficulty modes and having them all available for the first run, and even if you have 1 or 2 that are severely unbalanced, still give the player the freedom of choice to have the experience they want, it's not rocket science.

I agree the devs are doing it wrong,

But this is the solution that always works for me making them screwing up irrelevant.
I like character progression but don't care at all when that progression is just "now you got 10x more health"
The progression I am here for is new skills.

Last edited:

Agree.
There is a dynamic mode in Rebirth. The one that does level scalling supposedly.

Lokaum D+

if the game is anything close to the first one, one playthrough is enough, the game doesn't have that much replayability.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
if the game is anything close to the first one, one playthrough is enough, the game doesn't have that much replayability.
Are you kidding me!? The hard difficulty in Remake is super fun and you can only fight super bosses on hard difficulty.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I can proudly say I have never got a platinum for any game and this won't be the first. Hell I barely got any rare ones.

Is it bad that playing a game is more based on the trophies/difficulty to obtain and time to platinum over the enjoyment of a title? There's been a few titles I wanted to try out, but didn't because I didn't want an incomplete trophy list or not plat. I fully understand the plight of trophy addiction... I'm working on FF7 remake plat and dressed to the nines has been an annoyance. Rebirth will be a great journey though
If you think this is bad, don’t bother platinuming something like Elden Ring. That was a 200+ hour journey for many.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Elden Ring might takes time to platinum but it also very straight forward...for example, the game doesn't ask you collect EVERY weapon in the game, only legendary ones.
Save scums shred hours and you can kill some NPCs for their weapons. It was a fun Platinum.

I honestly think a lot of people are going to zip through this, so I honestly think the times being quoted are “journalist times”. I didn’t platinum Remake, I just finished it. I plan to do the same with this if it requires multiple playthroughs. I’m thinking 25-30 hours max on the first playthrough.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Save scums shred hours and you can kill some NPCs for their weapons. It was a fun Platinum.

I honestly think a lot of people are going to zip through this, so I honestly think the times being quoted are “journalist times”. I didn’t platinum Remake, I just finished it. I plan to do the same with this if it requires multiple playthroughs. I’m thinking 25-30 hours max on the first playthrough.
Same I loved the game and played it multiple times and I did all super bosses and got 84% of trophies but I didn't do rest because I just didn't find it fun to do.

FROM games are much fun to go for Platinum trophies because for most part they are very straight forward.....Except Queen Yharnam in Bloodborne, that one was little more difficult, but still fun.

Gamerguy84

I would like to explore more and take my time but I get addicted to the storyline in whatever I'm playing and go straight at it.

Nydius

150-200 hours? I don't think I spent 150-200 hours in the entirety of playing the original FF7, and that was with getting all my characters to 99, Chocobo racing and breeding to get Knights of the Round, maxing out most of my materia, and defeating all of the Weapons.

Quantum253

It's the addiction, or the ocd level pull, to get the
If you think this is bad, don’t bother platinuming something like Elden Ring. That was a 200+ hour journey for many.
Way too much. My friend said to just turn off trophy notifications. I looked at him like he was the crazy one. In at the point now where a 200 hour game would be one+ year to complete

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I barely touched anything optional in the first game, just because the side content felt so rote & tiring.

But in the original FF7, I loved exploring for secrets for hours, because the world felt alive and combat wasn't dumb action. Maybe Rebirth does a better job of capturing the original spirit.

taizuke

I'm more focused on the 7.5 out of 10 difficulty. Those hidden bosses are going to be a pain to beat. Not to mention those VR missions with multiple waves of enemies where if you loose, you start over.

But, i fucking love Final Fantasy VII. So, challenge accepted.

It's the same thing that happened with "The Hobbit" movie.
Something that could be done in a single movie was broken into three separate movies with lots of padding to make it last longer and to generate more revenue.
ok, I understand the Hobbit analogy. But 3 bloated movies don't occupy months of your freetime. That's three evening cinema visits. One game of that magnitude, though, already achieves that.

Bloat costs probably a fuckton to make too and more importantly sucks the air to breathe out of the market. They should do reasonably sized games, so that gamers even have time to buy the next game. 70 bucks might be too much for a 10h once and done shooter game, but 70 for something that is 4-6 proper work weeks is too cheap, it prevents people from spending money on other games, so the nice revenue from this game hinders revenue from eg their own Foamstars (or whatever might get some more attention if not a few games would engage them completely). They are hurting themselves with certain successes. This FF plus AC:V plus one GaaS BR shooter, plus Fifa and an average gamer is probably already planned out for an entire year. MP is by design open ended, but at least SP content should not fight insanely for huge engagement numbers and kill any variety and niche game along its warpath.

Last edited:
Top Bottom