• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Rebirth Demo dropping tomorrow

My interpretation has always been this:

Gast was incorrect about Jenova. He found this ancient being preserved in the ice of the north pole from 2000 years ago. He naturally but ignorantly concludes it must be a Cetra. What else would it be?

Gast finds Ifalna, the last living Cetra. She knows the truth about Jenova and tells Gast- Jenova is actually an alien that survives by crashing into living planets in the form of a meteor and feeds on the energy (lifestream) the planet sends to the crater to heal itself. It has the power to infect organisms with a virus and transform them into monsters and it can shapeshift into any virtually organism it wants. It's extremely dangerous and he's basically bringing it back from the dead.

Gast tries to shut down his Jenova project. Shinra says fuck that and Hojo takes over. Gast and Ifalna flee and go into hiding. Hojo uses Jenova to create Sephiroth.

30 years later, Sephiroth finds and reads all of the notes in Shinra Mansion. Much of them are Gast's incorrect notes he had to leave behind when he fled. This is why Sephiroth believes Jenova is a Cetra. He sees in Hojo's notes that genetically he does have a lot of Jenova's DNA in him. Therefore he continues to believe that Jenova is literally his mother. And since he does have a lot of Jenova's DNA, he shares some of Jenova's key traits, such as the instinctive behavior of using a meteor to damage a planet and then absorb its energy. I mean, I don't think it was a coincidence that Sephiroth wanted to do exactly what Jenova had tried to do 2000 years earlier.
I wouldnt even say thats an interpretation, i took this all as fact after my many play throughs. Can you highlight what specifically within your post is interpretation that wasn't directly explained in the game?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Y'all complaining about the graphics either played the Intergrade version on PS5, or have some rose colored memories about how the first game looked and played on PS4.

Yap, love me some loading textures and 30 fps :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm reluntent to play Intergrade because I'm sure it will decrease the wow effect when I play Rebirth.

Is it worth it?

Muffdraul

I wouldnt even say thats an interpretation, i took this all as fact after my many play throughs. Can you highlight what specifically within your post is interpretation that wasn't directly explained in the game?
To me it's an interpretation because it took me at least three playthroughs before I felt like I understood it. It took me that long to "interpret." And I talked to many people back then who played the game just as I did and still didn't see it my way. The Icicle Town scenes w/ Gast and Ifalna being missable are probably a big factor.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm reluntent to play Intergrade because I'm sure it will decrease the wow effect when I play Rebirth.

Is it worth it?
Intergrade comes with Yuffie episode DLC which in my opinion was pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

elementalnocturne

Neo Member
Right, as far as I can tell you and I are pretty much in exact agreement. Though for me it's not so much that Sephiroth had no will of his own, it's that thanks to his Jenova DNA, his will and Jenova's will are the same thing. He just isn't aware of that because the full history Ifalna told Gast isn't in any of the notes he read.

If Sephiroth had known the truth in that moment would that have changed anything? Maybe for the people of Nibelheim but ultimately he would have still discovered his purpose.

We can't know based on the original game but the fun thing about where they are going with the story is that they could potentially explore that angle. In fact, I think it's probably likely.

keefged4

I've recently finished Intergrade on PC at 4k 60, and jesus trying this demo out is rough having to tolerate either 30fps or 720p like vaseline performance mode. I adore FF7 so will still most likely pick up the full version on PS5 but will wait patiently for the PC version. On Steam. No EGS.

Katajx

Gold Member
Thats always been case in GAF, thats why you see stupid posts "like its looks like a PS2 or PS3 game".
Yeah, that’s completely ridiculous. I’m blind or have gotten lucky. I’ve missed the textures not displaying properly and this blurriness.

I’ve went out of my way looking for these things like the bug eyes face glitches. The biggest IQ difference I can see is a little softness on some parts, but especially the hair.

Fbh

Y'all complaining about the graphics either played the Intergrade version on PS5, or have some rose colored memories about how the first game looked and played on PS4.

The original ran at like 1600p on Ps4 pro and didn't look that much worse than this.
Like we have seen with other games, I'd expect a Ps5 game being able to give a decent visual upgrade at 60fps without having to drop to 800p or whatever Ps3 era resolution this is running at.

There are tons of current gen games that looks as good or better than this at 60fps with MUCH better IQ

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Intergrade comes with Yuffie episode DLC whivch in my opinion was pretty damn good.
norman-osborn-oh-you-cant-do-this-to-me.gif

Synless

The original ran at like 1600p on Ps4 pro and didn't look that much worse than this.
Like we have seen with other games, I'd expect a Ps5 game being able to give a decent visual upgrade at 60fps without having to drop to 800p or whatever Ps3 era resolution this is running at.

There are tons of current gen games that looks as good or better than this at 60fps with MUCH better IQ
This is not 800p, it looks to be at least on par with integrades 2688x1512 performance mode resolution.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I was expecting this to look much better than Remake as this is PS5 only? It looked pretty much the same. Except the landscape/rock stuff.

I was hoping they would do something to make materia more manageable but seems better and worse bizarrely. I hate the way you can't even change it mid fight.

I like the story but never played the original. The demo was poorly paced, and ending it with Cloud limping was stupid.

Combat is OK, still not sure how you're meant to hit high things with cloud. He doesn't even seem to jump in the air this time against the flying enemies. I'm not sold on the synergies, they really fuck with my timing on holding block then dodging. Was good having a go of the OP Seph.

Still can't get the hang of punisher mode either. I generally just use it to parry then switch back to operator.

blackjon24

I was expecting this to look much better than Remake as this is PS5 only? It looked pretty much the same. Except the landscape/rock stuff.

I was hoping they would do something to make materia more manageable but seems better and worse bizarrely. I hate the way you can't even change it mid fight.

I like the story but never played the original. The demo was poorly paced, and ending it with Cloud limping was stupid.

Combat is OK, still not sure how you're meant to hit high things with cloud. He doesn't even seem to jump in the air this time against the flying enemies. I'm not sold on the synergies, they really fuck with my timing on holding block then dodging. Was good having a go of the OP Seph.

Still can't get the hang of punisher mode either. I generally just use it to parry then switch back to operator.
I need to spend more time on the demo but I agree with you. Playing the demo for ff7 remake back in the days melted my eyes by how good the graphics were. Playing the rebirth demo I am like finding things to complain about. Agree with you on the gameplay aspect of it, only played the demo once but it didn't flow as nicely as I would have liked. Maybe it gets better once I know how to play

I found it weird cloud wasn't jumping to the enemies either but the they were getting hit by the sword beams attack. Dealing with airborne enemies felt effortless in ff16 in comparison

Last edited:

renzolama

You all were bitching that the game being cross gen would make the whole trilogy look inconsistent. SE heard that and said “we will make it look the same then”. People now bitching it doesn’t look next gen enough.

It’s the new version of this:
d92.jpg
It's impossible to see this meme and not read it all out loud

SkylineRKR

The ambiguity open to interpretation is whether Sephiroth is in control of Jenova or whether Jenova is in control of Sephiroth.

Well I'd say Sephiroth is in control in the original game. Its Jenova that moves out of Midgar and directs you to Sephiroth after all. All test subjects are being drawn to him and not Jenova.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Fbh

This is not 800p, it looks to be at least on par with integrades 2688x1512 performance mode resolution.
We'll see when digital foundry releases their video.

But if that's actual 2688X1512 and not "2688X1512 upscaled from a much lower res with FSR or some other crap like that" I'll get an appointment at the eye doctor

Well I'd say Sephiroth is in control in the original game. Its Jenova that moves out of Midgar and directs you to Sephiroth after all. All test subjects are being drawn to him and not Jenova.
I remember when I was younger and very obsessed with this game I sat down and beat it a couple of times and kept a text document open on my computer and wrote down every single event that happened in the game trying to iron out exactly what was going on and I'm still not sure I figured out everything. :messenger_grinning_squinting: I wish I still had that document just to look at.

paolo11

Are you really serious when you write something like that?

Because it really looks BAD, is shameful to be honest.

Laugh Lol GIF
I am. Rebirth is really beautiful visually. Blurry IQ on performance mode sure but it doesn’t look bad on graphics mode. It’s one of the most beautiful RPG games of this generation at the moment.

You’re playing a game that looks better than Advent Children since Remake!! It’s ok to look the same as remake.

Danjin44

I am. Rebirth is really beautiful visually. Blurry IQ on performance mode sure but it doesn’t look bad on graphics mode. It’s one of the most beautiful RPG games of this generation at the moment.

You’re playing a game that looks better than Advent Children since Remake!! It’s ok to look the same as remake.
Same for me, people can complain about tech part of the visuals but aesthetic and atmosphere is on point.

Gamerguy84

Yea performance has some blur. I still prefer it over graphics mode.

I'd take it if I was locked to either mode though. This one has me excited. They should just unlock it and let me continue.

Danjin44

I love the Aesthetic I hate when the lackluster tech is so obvious that it hurts that aesthetic.
What I care most about is combat though.
FFVII Remake had lot of low re texture here and there but in honestly it didn't ruin the aesthetics and it doesn't Rebirth either.

What bothered me more in Remake more than anything the normal NPC models looked really bad and from the demo of Rebirth it had decent improvements.

Lethal01

FFVII Remake had lot of low re texture here and there but in honestly it didn't ruin the aesthetics and it doesn't Rebirth either.

What bothered me more in Remake more than anything the normal NPC models looked really bad and from the demo of Rebirth it had decent improvements.

Well we all got our prioritize, I didn't notice a bad texture here and there, rather, just about every environmental object looked wrong either cause of lighting or asset quality. As a guy who loves slowly walking through environments its a big downer.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Well we all got our prioritize, I didn't notice a bad texture hear and there rather, just about every environmental object looked wrong either cause of lighting or asset quality. As a guy who loves slowly walking through environments its a big downer.
I play lot of AA games so imperfection in graphics dont bother as much as other people, I mean Elden Ring has lot of imperfect graphics and still didn't take away from its excellent atmosphere.

The reason NPC models bothered me in FFVII Remake, when you talk to them the camera get really close them and they just look really bad and distracting.
In games like NieR Automata the normal NPC also dont look all that faltering either but different is the camera never get close their face like FFVIIR does.

Last edited:

Kilau

Doesn’t look blurry to me in performance mode, just crank up the Reality Creation and boom, free resolution… :messenger_sunglasses:

Anyway, great demo, really enjoyed the piano game. Went ahead pre-ordered, first pre-ordered game since God of Bore Rag.

paolo11

Doesn’t look blurry to me in performance mode, just crank up the Reality Creation and boom, free resolution… :messenger_sunglasses:

Anyway, great demo, really enjoyed the piano game. Went ahead pre-ordered, first pre-ordered game since God of Bore Rag.
How do you do that?

The Piano game is much more in depth than I thought, some talented people can genuinely play music with this.

How in the fuck are you able to do the piano game with analog sticks?

That shit is terribly impossible to get good at.

I thought it was going to be easier but it is just insane

Exentryk

I can perhaps manage one single analog stick with 4 directions. So that piano game is completely beyond me lol.

RobRSG

We'll see when digital foundry releases their video.

But if that's actual 2688X1512 and not "2688X1512 upscaled from a much lower res with FSR or some other crap like that" I'll get an appointment at the eye doctor
You are not alone, man.

After finishing the demo, I fired Intergrade just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy and the IQ on performance mode is leagues ahead.

I think they went too crazy with the global illumination system and shadows, and had to sacrifice the IQ.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is interesting, Jon is saying the performance mode, not the quality mode is actually running at about 1440p. Not 1080p or less like some, including myself are assuming. He says the blurriness on the performance mode is caused by the post processing not resolution. This sounds like something that they may be able to improve upon by tweaking their solution. May be a similar situation to Horizon Forbidden West I wonder.

8CeAf1j.png

Last edited:

Bojji

This is interesting, Jon is saying the performance mode, not the quality mode is actually running at about 1440p. Not 1080p or less like some, including myself are assuming. He says the blurriness on the performance mode is caused by the post processing not resolution. This sounds like something that they may be able to improve upon by tweaking their solution. May be a similar situation to Horizon Forbidden West I wonder.

8CeAf1j.png

Similar story to resident evil 4 where PS5 version had higher resolution but looked worse than Series X.

On PC there would be option to remove (or render at higher res) this post processing bullshit but on consoles we are at mercy of developers. This reminds me of Tekken 7 and Hellblade, both look very soft even in 4K but after removing some shit effects in ini. files they look so much better.

Go_Ly_Dow

Similar story to resident evil 4 where PS5 version had higher resolution but looked worse than Series X.

On PC there would be option to remove (or render at higher res) this post processing bullshit but on consoles we are at mercy of developers. This reminds me of Tekken 7 and Hellblade, both look very soft even in 4K but after removing some shit effects in ini. files they look so much better.
Let's see if they tweak it for the final release. I'm sure if it's doable they'll get on it. If the performance mode is 1440p, then this would suggest the quality mode is probably acheiving 1800-2160p considering half the framerate.

Top Bottom