• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 Sony Exclusive Rumor 👀

Pejo

Unless Sony also accidentally caught the Gooch while he was surfing on a fishing trip to Hawaii and are keeping him hostage until he helps make FF16, this is no big deal to me.

Phil Spencer needs to wake up! If Microsoft wants a chance against Sony... they need to go this route. AAA 3rd party exclusives (or timed) like Sony is doing. A few exclusive 3rd party AA/indies isn't going to cut it.

Like all investments, you need to spend money to make money. Sony knows that.

I think they went for those types of games because it would be easy for them to get them on gamepass.

RPS37

I was so hyped when I found out FF13 was coming to Xbox.
Then I ended up getting it for PS3 instead? Was it timed?

Perrott

Gold Member
But something like FF16 is just huge. And Silent Hill as well since it was rumored for years and some are dying for it to come back.

It's like if Sony announced GTA6 as a timed exclusive.

It's why I have serious doubts over this.
It's not that crazy if you consider what they managed to do with both Final Fantasy 7 Remake (full year exclusivity) and Spider-Man (third-party licensed turned exclusive by having a first-party team develop the game). And I'd say that both of those games are bigger - in terms of impact - than FFXVI and Silent Hill.

And this would be just the tip of the iceberg for what Sony has in store for their platform in terms of deals with third-parties:
Imran Khan said:
If you guys are mad about this [Spider-Man only being available on PlayStation platforms in Marvel’s Avengers], I suggest saving some energy, because the next year will be a marathon of getting upset.

Last edited:
Earth-shattering if true. I’m already behaving like Silent Hill is happening (way too much buzz recently) but this....wow. It would be like FF XIII all over again, only in reverse.

I don’t care how bad XV was, Final Fantasy is huge brand and personally, my dearest franchise in whole of gaming.

But not sure Sony becoming even bigger hegemon next gen is good for average gamer.

Katajx

Gold Member
Timed would be fine, but it would be better for the game and SE to be multi-plat.

It seemed like we used to have to wait for new hardware to hit a certain number before we got a new Final Fantasy.

The more players it reaches the better it is for us and the devs. I don’t want to see them get potentially shit on if it’s good and doesn’t meet sales expectations from limiting their market.

Not that I think Sony is gonna start this gen slow by any means.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Reset era is on Sony's payroll. Besides... what's up with this "people associate Final fantasy with Sony" we are in 2020 that franchise has been multiplatform for a decade.

FF sucks now. They rather focus on porting VII remake to PC and releasing part 2.

Rat Rage

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a generic character action game and not even a JRPG anymore.

Final Fantasy has gone to shit. Everyone knows that. I doubt Final Fantasy 16 will even come out until 2030. And then, it'll probably be a huge disappointment, since Square(soft)Enix sucks now.

Who cares about Final Fantasy anymore?

Last edited:

Entroyp

I was so hyped when I found out FF13 was coming to Xbox.
Then I ended up getting it for PS3 instead? Was it timed?

This brings me memories. I was planning to get it for my 360 back then and ended up buying the PS3 version but I don’t remember why 🤔

It's not that crazy if you consider what they managed to do with both Final Fantasy 7 Remake (full year exclusivity) and Spider-Man (third-party licensed turned exclusive by having a first-party team develop the game). And I'd say that both of those games are bigger - in terms of impact - than FFXVI and Silent Hill.

And this would be just the tip of the iceberg for what Sony has in store for their platform in terms of deals with third-parties:

If what Imran says is true then yikes......

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I can say it with a straight face after playing FF7R which is one of the best games released this year. You are only as good as your last release. It so happens the last release was great

Preach!

FF7R was a fu***ng masterpiece and if Ghost of Tsushima had not released as well I would say FF7R was GOTY easy-peasy. Unless there are some genuine megaton releases in Q4 for nextgen
there are none
those two games will clean house imo.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I think Final Fantasy is probably one of the biggest budget games we get that come out of Japan.

I don’t think 2-3 million copies is the success they are looking for these days.

Ten_Fold

Probably timed, I would say at least a year exclusive, but you never know. It depends on how much did FF15 on Xbox one sold for them to even consider it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FF7 Remake is amazing on so many levels it restored my faith in the franchise., but I actually enjoyed FF15 overall.

Same. After XIII and XIV's launch, I had very little faith in the future of FF. Admittedly, the newer games are definitely going in a different direction than the classics and tat will turn people off, but I don't think that is inherently a bad thing. If you are a fan of turn based games and dislike action-oriented gameplay, then the new games are simply not for you. HOwever, that doesn't mean they are objectively bad.

Anyways, to get back on topic: these types likes to run their mouths and throw shit at the wall until it sticks. Square would have had to been given an absolute fuck ton of money to make it exclusive, even if only timed. Final Fantasy is one of, if not their biggest franchise and I don't see this coming to fruition.

Preach!

FF7R was a fu***ng masterpiece and if Ghost of Tsushima had not released as well I would say FF7R was GOTY easy-peasy. Unless there are some genuine megaton releases in Q4 for nextgen
there are none
those two games will clean house imo.

It's really really good. They will get to play it early next year (PC and Xbox) so they will see that we aren't lying. If FF16 is anything like FF7R then this will hurt,

These are the sort of timed/full-on 3rd party exclusives that make no sense other than pure, unadulterated greed. SquareEnix is not hurting for cash, they have more than enough money (and infrastructure) to fund & develop a new mainline FF of their own volition. Nothing here is any different from when Microsoft purchased timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider, also ironically a SquareEnix-published game.

It's like SquareEnix are competing with EA for title of Scummiest 3rd Party Publisher. There's not really much reason to lock 3rd-party content to a platform these days especially if the publisher is more than capable of funding the project themselves. It's not like the old days of SNES/MegaDrive etc. where the system architectures were just completely different and that alone might've demanded versions of games for one platform be totally different or cut out content to save cartridge space (as one example).

Also both Microsoft and Sony could potentially take this too far and be liable to a lawsuit for monopolistic anti-competitive business practices, Sony moreso ATM seeing what they are doing with SpiderMan (a character they don't even own). Though, a company hasn't actually been tried and found guilty of that since Nintendo in 1991 so... 🤷‍♂️ ...

Phil Spencer needs to wake up! If Microsoft wants a chance against Sony... they need to go this route. AAA 3rd party exclusives (or timed) like Sony is doing. A few exclusive 3rd party AA/indies isn't going to cut it.

Were you not around for the absolute shithead reactions to MS doing exactly this with Rise of the Tomb Raider? That brought out the ugly in a lot of console forum dwellers, and arguably much harsher towards Microsoft than what we're seeing here towards Sony because some people view MS as Satan incarnate.

d

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
They're making sure to secure whatever deals possible for THEIR customers. From a business perspective, it makes sense. It works and that's why it'll continue to happen decades from now.
Yeah, but it’s still not consumer friendly lol

Anyone else feel like PS5 is the new PS2? Yeah the competition may be stronger but it's the follow up to a highly successful system and it seems they're bringing their A game much like PS2 did.
Well that generation they money hatted anything and everything, even EA as a whole, and this gen looks like they’re just moneyhatting everything as well, so it’s a fair comparison.

Last edited:
These are the sort of timed/full-on 3rd party exclusives that make no sense other than pure, unadulterated greed. SquareEnix is not hurting for cash, they have more than enough money (and infrastructure) to fund & develop a new mainline FF of their own volition. Nothing here is any different from when Microsoft purchased timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider, also ironically a SquareEnix-published game.

It's like SquareEnix are competing with EA for title of Scummiest 3rd Party Publisher. There's not really much reason to lock 3rd-party content to a platform these days especially if the publisher is more than capable of funding the project themselves. It's not like the old days of SNES/MegaDrive etc. where the system architectures were just completely different and that alone might've demanded versions of games for one platform be totally different or cut out content to save cartridge space (as one example).

Also both Microsoft and Sony could potentially take this too far and be liable to a lawsuit for monopolistic anti-competitive business practices, Sony moreso ATM seeing what they are doing with SpiderMan (a character they don't even own). Though, a company hasn't actually been tried and found guilty of that since Nintendo in 1991 so... 🤷‍♂️ ...
Companies can always use a little extra cash

Money is money and money talks.

Anyone else feel like PS5 is the new PS2? Yeah the competition may be stronger but it's the follow up to a highly successful system and it seems they're bringing their A game much like PS2 did.

The gen hasn't started. PS2 was in a league of its own and the industry has changed too much to see another PS2 probably.

mejin

oh, boy. MS is spending a lot.

What if that's Final Fantasy 16?

They already said it is not.

They will scream when FF16 comes, exclusive or not.

I thought people whining about the Avengers exclusivity were up in arms because it is "content" that was exclusive. People have been saying that entire games as exclusive are ok! Well, here you go! Would you rather have 98% of the Avengers content on your Xbox or PC, or none at all?

Unknown?

Yeah, but it’s still not consumer friendly lol

Well that generation they money hatted anything and everything, even EA as a whole, and this gen looks like they’re just moneyhatting everything as well, so it’s a fair comparison.
They didn't moneyhat EA. EA games that were console exclusive on PS1 like NFS were on every system known to man... except the Dreamcast.

Were you not around for the absolute shithead reactions to MS doing exactly this with Rise of the Tomb Raider? That brought out the ugly in a lot of console forum dwellers, and arguably much harsher towards Microsoft than what we're seeing here towards Sony because some people view MS as Satan incarnate.

d

I'm curious to see how the competition reacts to this. They just have known about this for a while.

Vawn

Banned
Not surprising look at FF7 Remake. This is why any chance they get Microsoft should fuck Sony over. Give people the same energy they give you.

They got timed exclusives for Series X like The Medium. There's just fewer opportunities not being in a position of power.

There's likely to be a much larger PS5 install base, so it makes sense companies would rather make a deal with Sony over Xbox. They'd have to have a huge Xbox attach rate to make any deal worthwhile - a feat hard for a Japanese RPG.

fermcr

d

Yes, I was around. Real shitstorm... but Microsoft should have continued that route. There will always be a vocal minority that you simply have to ignore.
Take the example of Epic store exclusives. At the beginning people started bitchin left and right, but as time goes by, they eventually move on and Epic continues with it's store exclusives.

Azurro

Banned
Final Fantasy VII Remake is a generic character action game and not even a JRPG anymore.

Final Fantasy has gone to shit. Everyone knows that. I doubt Final Fantasy 16 will even come out until 2030. And then, it'll probably be a huge disappointment, since Square(soft)Enix sucks now.

Who cares about Final Fantasy anymore?

I do. :)

They got timed exclusives for Series X like The Medium. There's just fewer opportunities not being in a position of power.

I also think they wanted titles for Gamepass and it's difficult to convince 3rd parties to release their games day one on it. It's why I think Microsoft made those deals with those smaller titles.

MagnesG

Banned
Not that excited for the next FF, i'm sure it will be graphics clocked to 200% with gameplay being second or third on priority. It will be boring AF 20 hours down the line like usual.
And it will still come to the PC at the end.

Top Bottom