• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

petghost

Banned
Wait, you can't break throws in Xrd?

i thought you played +r? they might as well be fucking untechable in that game too, i think the window is like 2 frames after the first person inputs throw so its almost an always accident.

that said, throws in gear are fine. i think i might prefer them to throws in BB? they feel honest. also they generally lead to quite a bit less damage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So has anyone actually attempted taking legal action against various TOs that owe them money? Revelations/VxG/ESGN? What are the snags to doing so or is there a good reason why all of these people get away with owing people money in the thousands?

I mean, some of these dudes' livelihoods depend on their income from winning or placing in tournaments. Not many, but usually those that end up in these events.

So has anyone actually attempted taking legal action against various TOs that owe them money? Revelations/VxG/ESGN? What are the snags to doing so or is there a good reason why all of these people get away with owing people money in the thousands?

I mean, some of these dudes' livelihoods depend on their income from winning or placing in tournaments. Not many, but usually those that end up in these events.

The cost of the lawyer is probably more than how much the person is owed.

And I'm not sure if it's possible for one person or a third party who would foot the bill to get everyone else paid. Plus I'm sure there are a bunch of cross state laws and policies and shit.

Also: I laugh when people say they're under contract to EMP and they might get sued if they breach contract. Triforce ain't suing shit.

Busaiku

i thought you played +r? they might as well be fucking untechable in that game too, i think the window is like 2 frames after the first person inputs throw so its almost an always accident.

that said, throws in gear are fine. i think i might prefer them to throws in BB? they feel honest. also they generally lead to quite a bit less damage.

Throws are super easy to call a bunch of times.
I get destroyed all the time cause it's my go to reversal.

kirblar

When there's no money to be found, its not worth it.

Considering FGC Tournaments are illegal, well yes.

CurlyW

Yeah, most tournaments would probably fall under illegal gambling, so good luck getting anywhere.

Not really, because they're games of skill.

Gambling implies betting money on random events (or at least events over which you have no control).

kirblar

Except the law does not see it that way.
This may be the stupidest thing you've ever written.

MTG has tournaments worldwide without issue. You can run tournament-style poker in many places without an issue where you couldn't run a traditional "walk up and use money" game. The US is not Japan. Entry-based pots are just fine.

Infinite

MTG has tournaments worldwide without issue. You can run tournament-style poker in many places without an issue where you couldn't run a traditional "walk up and use money" game. The US is not Japan. Entry-based pots are just fine.

Yeah. This aint Japan dude.

You are very wrong sir. You can not put up money in a pool of people to win more money it is illegal. Only way it works is if there is a PRIZE of money at the end that is not effected by enterants.

Infinite

My girlfriend was curious about this Triforce mess so I told her to watch the King of Chinatown. She looked at it for like a minute and said "His braids are dusty." I couldn't stop laughing.

Seyavesh

Where does it say that?

FqiLv0X.png

the snag with revelations was that the dude had zero dollars and a civil lawsuit can't get money where there is no money. the snag with vxg is that it's a government sponsored thing in a semi-sovereign country with some unusual laws.

If only there were a lawyer that occasionally posts here that could solve this for us.

in the us the laws about what's a game of skill and what's illegal gambling vary state to state, but in general they allow video game competitions. some have more restrictions like that the prize pool be separate from the entrance fees, but again that's not common either. wouldn't it be bizarre if like, the cops busted up the $10 million dollar event going on over in seattle right now? or the gigantic fighting game tournament in vegas last week? or the huge lol thing going on in california? or the many many other events that are big enough to get covered in local news media?

edit: whatchall think about this usf4 tier list?

Kumubou

in the us the laws about what's a game of skill and what's illegal gambling vary state to state, but in general they allow video game competitions. wouldn't it be bizarre if like, the cops busted up the $10 million dollar event going on over in seattle right now? or the gigantic fighting game tournament in vegas last week? or the huge lol thing going on in california? or the many many other events that are big enough to get covered in local news media? you don't hear about that happening because those events are usually not illegal.
It's not entirely settled, though. I live in Arizona and and while I can sign up and play online through Virgin Gaming, MLG won't accept entrants for online or live tournaments from anyone living in AZ... and from the limited research I've done, I have no idea what the discrepancy is.

the snag with revelations was that the dude had zero dollars and a civil lawsuit can't get money where there is no money. the snag with vxg is that it's a government sponsored thing in a semi-sovereign country with some unusual laws.

in the us the laws about what's a game of skill and what's illegal gambling vary state to state, but in general they allow video game competitions. some have more restrictions like that the prize pool be separate from the entrance fees, but again that's not common either. wouldn't it be bizarre if like, the cops busted up the $10 million dollar event going on over in seattle right now? or the gigantic fighting game tournament in vegas last week? or the huge lol thing going on in california? or the many many other events that are big enough to get covered in local news media?

Thank you.

Myself and my teammates cannot afford a lawyer and have no idea how we'd go about beginning the process of suing a foreign government.

Marz

Feel like Abel, Chun, and Bison are way too low.

GUY that low? Makoto that high? UD this isn't a tier list, it's a wish list!

Myn

I'm just curious, what made ERyu unviable and unpopular in AE? I remember pre-2012 update he was in the mid-low tier along with Oni. Did people just not realize his potential until late into v.2012?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I feel like Yun is overblown right now. He's top 10 still though but not king imo.

I wont post my top 10 though cause I don't want people to think I'm crazy like they typically do til things happen :D

N4Us

I'm just curious, what made ERyu unviable and unpopular in AE? I remember pre-2012 update he was in the mid-low tier along with Oni. Did people just not realize his potential until late into v.2012?

YUN YUN YUN YUN YUN YUN VIPER SETH YUN YUN

Rhapsody

Banned
I feel like Yun is overblown right now. He's top 10 still though but not king imo.

I wont post my top 10 though cause I don't want people to think I'm crazy like they typically do til things happen :D

If people see you put Poison in top 10, then yes. They will think you're crazy.

petghost

Banned
what do you guys think of makoto in usf4?i guess she can make good use of red focus, but i figure a lot of that meter is gonna go into EX fukiage because the mixup off that is excellent. tsurugi being unfsafe is not a huge deal imo and as far as i know there are no visual or audio tells as to whether it is a lk/mk or hk tsurugi so that helps. i think getting her ultras nerfed hurts.

i think she is around the same but i'm also hella ignorant.

Uraizen

Banned
Of course if you have access to forums ask and anyone not giving advice towards new players on help getting a starter character for them or brushing off said player is a complete fuckwad.

This is my biggest issue when getting into new fighters in general or trying to improve yourself in the current game you play. Luckily not everybody is like that, but I haven't run into enough people like that.

The DLC characters for BBCP is more expensive than I thought.

And yet, I keep buying them. I am part of the problem.

I'm going to be playing Attack on Cataclysm a lot after it comes out.

Until then, I plan to be playing the old version of the game to learn as much about it as I can. If you didn't know, a completed version of Yatagarasu (v4.3) is available and can be purchased via Rice Digital for 8 pounds (which is about $13). It has the original 8 characters and online play.

The game is indeed quite good, but I have yet to try the online. How is it?

Well I consider Xrd to be around P4A levels of problems ;) I just forgive it cause I'm bias and love the characters and gameplay.

Arc, you're lucky I love playing as Chipp so much.

You always have some weird tier lists. PM it to me if you won't post it.

hitsugi

The first answer would be Akuma, Cammy and Yun. I don't think anyone felt a need to bother if they needed an alt / strong character.

The second would be most of Evil Ryu's potential was discovered a late - possibly thanks to Sako, with hit confirm into axe kick FADC stuff that (even now) no one can do consistently enough... including Sako.

He was a legit low or low mid tier in AE. I main'd him in that version and the struggle was most definitely real. He had Akuma health and stun without strong enough tools to compensate for it. Since then he has gained a lot of buffs that he didn't have before. Going from AE to USF4 he has

-more health(850>950)
-more stun(850>900)
-more damage on some of his moves
-target combo is actually good now and can be used a frame trap
-LK axe kick has 1 more frame of hit stun which allows people do those FADC combos for more stun and damage
- far MK went from a mediocre poke to a great one
-sweep is faster and now he can end combos into one and go for mix ups
-getting hit by hop kick is now scary, it can lead to tons of damage where as before all it did was 70 damage
-other minor buffs

He's received almost nothing but buffs since he was first introduced while other characters continually stayed the same or got worse which has helped him climb to supposedly being top tier in USF4. The only nerf was to HK axe kick which almost no Evil Ryu player uses outside of a combo ender. And even that was a compensation nerf because it was sped up so you could combo it from a cl. MP.

Top Bottom