• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

kirblar

SC was much more neutral focused but that changed with SC3 and on. That's why I gravitated towards it over Tekken though I played both until the more recent iterations.
Yeah, I agreed with a lot of what was writtten by Sayah (I think) about how it's strayed from what people enjoyed about it in the first place. Frame-perfect stuff, super meters - too many "advanced" mechanics being brought into a game that really doesn't want them. The game was always about positioning, movement, dodging and whiff punishing with fun crazy weapons.

All 3 characters I played in the T5 era(Paul, Lili, Julia) had a way to end combos with a splat for oki. Maybe not as strong as Devil Jin's d,f+1,2 but the concept was the same. The meta didn't change when bound was added. Like with Paul, the T5 bnb was launcher, filler, demo man or f+1+2 for splat. Bound simply added filler between the filler and the ender.

Deps

I don't know if a standardized combo system is a good thing. When I played T5DR a common issue was the characters that had insane wall carry, wall combos and wall pressure. There has to be more interesting ways of balancing a game than giving everyone this through a universal system.

I agree, but it's not really feasible, too many moves/characters. Now we already know T7 will have a lot less characters, most likely less moves, and Harada said he's still undecided if T7 will have bound.

If they can balance T7 without bound, then great, if bound stays thats cool too. Bound is not a bad system, it's just that TTT2 combos are too long, but in a 1v1 game it's fine.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, but it's not really feasible, too many moves/characters. Now we already know T7 will have a lot less characters, most likely less moves, and Harada said he's still undecided if T7 will have bound.

If they can balance T7 without bound, then great, if bound stays thats cool too. Bound is not a bad system, it's just that TTT2 combos are too long, but in a 1v1 game it's fine.

We do?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GG and SF are the gateway points for their companies because they offer relatively short combos that get you back into the neutral game quickly. Soul Calibur also used to be like this, if I remember correctly.

BB tends to have so much shit going on in the matches on top of long combos, I never understood why people said it was easier than GG

AAK

@ 16bit, the spike options for characters other than Devil Jin/Heihachi in T5DR was paltry damage and made going for oki pretty much worthless in the grand scheme of things. Hence why those characters were so much stronger than the rest. T6 and TTT2 avoided that with bound (except for a couple of characters) where everyone had access to the DJin/Heihachi mixups after combo's that was worth doing. Also, the vast majority of spike moves that give good oki weren't possible without bound

As for my opinion I have no solution, if I did I honestly would be a master game designer. I'll just wait and see.

That was a "length of top 8s" reference.

Length of Top 8 EVO2K14 finals:

TTT2: 1:17:51
Injustice: 1:38:30
KOF13: 3:01:17
Blazblue: 2:23:40
KI: 1:37:10
SSBM: 2:47:20
UMVC3: 2:12:31
SSF4: 2:42:27

@ 16bit, the spike options for characters other than Devil Jin/Heihachi in T5DR was paltry damage and made going for oki pretty much worthless in the grand scheme of things. Hence why those characters were so much stronger than the rest. T6 and TTT2 avoided that with bound (except for a couple of characters) where everyone had access to the DJin/Heihachi mixups after combo's that was worth doing.

The oki wasn't the reason those characters are top tier though. They were top for the same reason they're almost always top.

AAK

The oki wasn't the reason those characters are top tier though. They were top for the same reason they're almost always top.

True, they had other things that made them ridiculous... but their oki helped massively.

EDIT: I can speak as a Hwoarang player I can't think of any JFSR setups off oki in T5. With T6 and TTT2, it opened up spectacularly thanks to bound.

Joule

He's been streaming very consistently over the past 2 weeks. Almost everyday now.

It's likely due to Arc Revo quals. I haven't been following it that closely this time around but I've read that an area qualifier (and finals for that area) is happening at mikado today which is what Jonio will be streaming later.

I remember some people wanting the Sol statue/figure.

Here some pics from an event

001.jpg

Would link the site but its very NSFW so pictures will have to do.

Sayah

Wow, how was it so much faster this year?

You guys just like to over-exaggerate things.

EVO 2013 Top 8 time results:

P4A: 1:42:02
TTT2: 2:03:18
Injustice: 1:33:43
Melee: 2:10:10
KOFXIII: 2:57:12
SSFIV: 2:14:29
UMvC3: 2:25:19

It's just unfortunate Tekken top 8 is always playing right before a Capcom game comes on and then people get impatient and start shitting on the game because "it's taking too long."

You guys just like to over-exaggerate things.

EVO 2013 Top 8 time results:

P4A: 1:42:02
TTT2: 2:03:18
Injustice: 1:33:43
Melee: 2:10:10
KOFXIII: 2:57:12
SSFIV: 2:14:29
UMvC3: 2:25:19

It's just unfortunate Tekken top 8 is always playing right before a Capcom game comes on and then people get impatient and start shitting on the game because "it's taking too long."

I blame marvel

Onemic

It's likely due to Arc Revo quals. I haven't been following it that closely this time around but I've read that an area qualifier (and finals for that area) is happening at mikado today which is what Jonio will be streaming later.

Today in Japan would mean when in EST? 3AM?

Tik-Tok

@ 16bit, the spike options for characters other than Devil Jin/Heihachi in T5DR was paltry damage and made going for oki pretty much worthless in the grand scheme of things. Hence why those characters were so much stronger than the rest. T6 and TTT2 avoided that with bound (except for a couple of characters) where everyone had access to the DJin/Heihachi mixups after combo's that was worth doing. Also, the vast majority of spike moves that give good oki weren't possible without bound

As for my opinion I have no solution, if I did I honestly would be a master game designer. I'll just wait and see.

Length of Top 8 EVO2K14 finals:

TTT2: 1:17:51
Injustice: 1:38:30
KOF13: 3:01:17
Blazblue: 2:23:40
KI: 1:37:10
SSBM: 2:47:20
UMVC3: 2:12:31
SSF4: 2:42:27

Street Fighter was much longer than it would have been normally because the Zangief matches stretched it out and bracket reset.

Top Bottom