• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of July 14th to the 20th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Frikis (Nerds) [ Thread ]
  • GAFer J.M. Romeo recently finished and released a short film featuring a protagonist that plays 3rd Strike, and many other nods to fighting games. Check it out via the link above!
Triple Threat Volume X [ Sunday ] [ 12PM BST | 7AM EDT | 4AM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ib1In8QuGKEgNJ.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at GAF's ambassador to #gafranbats, notworksafe!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
Currently only playing Ultra SF4 because it’s what’s big in my local scene. Though I’m always up for some ST, KOF98, or Windjammers on a cabinet (with American sticks goddamnit!). I enjoy playing Blazblue and GG but there’s a very small scene for it locally (maybe 4 people) and hard to get local games.

My all time favorite game is Super Turbo, simply because of how much I’ve played it. Fun, quick game that really relies on knowing fundamentals and playing your character well. Soul Calibur 2 is up there as well again from how much time I’ve put into it. It’s a game that for me really shows that even if you make a game where everyone is broken as hell, it can still end up as a damn fun fighter.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I’ve always loved Guard Impact from SC. Just a good way to potentially punish someone for going too crazy, but a good GI requires skill and can’t be spammed out or you’ll be the one who gets punished.

Least favorite for me is probably Marvel 3 TACs. From my point of view they tip the risk/reward scales a little bit too much. If they cost a meter then I’d be a little happier with them but as they stand now I think they are just too broken in the wrong way. I also think Tekken’s Bound Moves are some horseshit too.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
The first time I can remember seeing a fighting game, I was immediately hooked. I was probably about 6 years old and was walking home from school (only lived about a block or two away). I stopped into 7-11 and saw a crowd of people getting really exciting around an arcade game, SF2 World Warrior. I just remember being blown away by both the way the game looked and how hype everyone got when someone won. From then on I was in that 7-11 almost daily spending lunch money trying to compete with the older kids.

Eventually as I got older and my family moved away to places without arcades or any gathering spot I moved into the Arena FPS space and played a lot of UT with friends. Some Quake 3 as well, but I always preferred the UT series.

I also spent a lot of time with MMOs, and WoW in particular. I just like getting in deep on my characters and minmaxing in order to achieve the “perfect” build. I’ll also always play a game from Nintendo. When to comes to fun, engaging games for me…they just get it.

I got back in fighting games once I moved to NM and was able to find a decent arcade and play the games I remembered loving as a kid. Once I started going there regularly, I stumbled upon the local scene here in New Mexico almost by accident and the rest is history.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Millia Rage - hella mixups, amazing AA, and good air control. All things I love in a character.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
My play is easily described as “Not As Patient As I Should Be”. I enjoy using patience and zoning to keep people away but it’s often overwhelmed by my desire to just get in and Get Work Done. That’s when stuff starts to go bad. So I’m trying to train myself on patience as a skill.

As far as play, I’m probably 95% local and 5% online. I’m lucky to have a pretty good scene here that has meet ups multiple times every week to get games. Because of all the local play, I find myself easily frustrated by online. Ranked play in specific is awful cause I’d much rather get a longer set with someone. So online lobbies are something that are very important to me in any fighting game.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Biggest strength is probably my willingness to bang my head against a wall until I get what I want in a match. I don’t mind playing and losing in long sets as long as I can accomplish whatever I’ve set out to do. Learn a matchup, get a combo off, learn how to defend against certain players, whatever it may be.

Biggest weakness as I said before is a lack of patience. Also my stubbornness. As I said I’m willing to bang my head against a wall but sometimes I’ll do it to my own detriment. When I set out to get something off I’ll sometimes just try for it over and over and end up losing because of it. So I guess I gotta learn to let stuff go, especially in a tournament setting.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best moment isn’t really related to playing or anything. It was last year when our scene came together and organized Art of Fighting (which we are doing again this September), a charity art show and tournament for March of Dimes. A local player suffered the loss of his son to a heart condition and wanted to do something special in his honor. It was just awesome to see everyone as a group come together and help out to put on the biggest event in our state. The best and truest meaning of Fighting Game Community to me.
What do you want from future fighting games?
I want fighting games to steal from DOTA 2 wholesale for their online systems. Live viewing of matches, ability to commentate over matches and tournaments, live streaming and viewing from inside the game. And I want companies to support the communities that rise up from their games with tournaments and prizes. Basically something other than just trying to sell DLC over and over again.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
I’d like for GAF’s true best player, Satyamdas to be on this but that’s not really possible. So I guess hikarutilmitt or Axis.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ Secondary ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Zuly

Don't you mean cry more because nobody is gonna get paid?

Bringing back old jokes like it's 1999.

MrDaravon

Wait

Wait

VxG is happening again this year and it's this weekend? Didn't like, no one get paid from last years? What in the actual fuck.

Dahbomb

I cried the manliest of manly tiers when Justin Marvelous Wong won.

Greatest Marvel player of all time.

Besides that it was an excellent EVO all around. Every game had its moments in finals.

I hate the thread title.

You have Justin Wong winning Marvel.
You have a hype BB GF.
You had hype Smash.
You had a Frenchmen wining SF.

AND YOU GO WITH THAT?

FUCK YOU

#TeamGods
#FuckTitans
#RoseIsCheap

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Beech time?
I just want to formally apologize to FGC-GAF for not having Going To Da Beech Weekly ready in time for the monumental event that awaits us this weekend. We truly have been waiting an entire year for it and there is no excuse for why it was not ready.

Infinite

I hate the thread title.

You have Justin Wong winning Marvel.
You have a hype BB GF.
You had hype Smash.
You had a Frenchmen wining SF.

AND YOU GO WITH THAT?

FUCK YOU

#TeamGods
#FuckTitans
#RoseIsCheap
People politely requested that there not be Evo spoilers in the thread title so I'm glad Enzo heard them out.

Shoutouts to all the GAFfers I met and hung out with this weekend. I'd name you all but I'm too tired lol.

Me and Papawicks are grabbing a late dinner down at the Paris, but man this Evo was great. I didn't do as well as I hoped but I had a lot of fun.

What was everyone's favorite grand finals sets?

It does kinda suck that a really goddamned great EVO happened and the FGW title is a cheap joke about/promotion for a shady tournament that still hasn't paid anyone from its previous year.

But then again - it's just an FGW title, so it doesn't really matter.

made me grin, at least. So there's that

Shoutouts to all the GAFfers I met and hung out with this weekend. I'd name you all but I'm too tired lol.

Me and Papawicks are grabbing a late dinner down at the Paris, but man this Evo was great. I didn't do as well as I hoped but I had a lot of fun.

Paris? Head your ass over to Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar pls!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Y'all wildin'. The thread title is great, and is relevant to the most important event of the year.

This post is sponsored by Caribserve 4G, the newest, fastest and most modern alternative in wireless broadband on St. Maarten.

People politely requested that there not be Evo spoilers in the thread title so I'm glad Enzo heard them out.

Well it's 2014.... If you don't want spoilers stay off the internet. It's like those people who get spoiled by GoT twitter post... well why the hell are you on twitter if you haven't seen the latest EPISODE!

/rant

#ThreadTitleStillSucks
#EnzoSucks
#IronManSucks

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Y'all wildin'. The thread title is great, and is relevant to the most important event of the year.

This post is sponsored by Caribserve 4G, the newest, fastest and most modern alternative in wireless broadband on St. Maarten.
Tell 'em, homie.

I don't get the thread title. :-/

ChrisG vs. JWong. I don't even understand how JWong just kept slipping in there with Storm and hitting Morrigan.

Don't refer to yourself in the third person to give your request more legitimacy.
As I understand it, he wasn't the only person to ask for that. "People" is appropriate here.

Also, as I posted in the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120027268&postcount=318

GAF is a news forum. You don't withhold that Germany won the World Cup or that the Seahawks won the Super Bowl.
GAF is a news forum, but the FGW thread title is not intended to be a news headline. It's not like we're going to list every single victor in the FGW title.

Just got back from Evo. It was a lot of fun, but damn am I tired.

For those who haven't been, you really need to go at least once if you can swing it; being there is a much different beast than watching the streams.

Sonic Fox is 16 years old and won a main game(Injustice), two side games(MK9 & DOA5) and placed 4th in another(Skullgirls). This was his first EVO. He wasn't the rising star?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
This EVO was incredible. Holy hell.

Also, major shoutout to DryEyeRelief for consistently providing links for streams on damn near every page, making sure everyone was up to date on the latest events. Good looking out man, much appreciated.

Infinite

Also, as I posted in the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120027268&postcount=318

GAF is a news forum. You don't withhold that Germany won the World Cup or that the Seahawks won the Super Bowl.

First of all lost fragment and other guys asked in last week thread for there not be spoilers in this weeks title because they can't watch the event live. I merely posted the request again in case that was forgotten.

Secondly it's only a request. At the end of the day Enzo can name these threads whatever he wants. I merely offered him a suggestion and I'm honored he respected it, apparently. I didn't demand or put a gun to his head asking him to do what I want. Getting up and arms about this is childish. Also neogaf dot com has rules about spoilers. So I'll ask you nicely to back off.

And yeah I still never got paid for VXG. The last update, months ago, was that we'd be paid before VXG 2014. I guess technically there's still time.

Pappasman

Just got back from Evo. It was a lot of fun, but damn am I tired.

For those who haven't been, you really need to go at least once if you can swing it; being there is a much different beast than watching the streams.

The energy in the room when justin won was just pure magic. Incredible stuff.

Omega

Banned
i gotta give props to enzo.

we all give him shit for his obvious trolling and picking the worst thread titles, but he doesn't cry and take his ball home like other OT makers have on this forum.

Top Bottom