• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

e3 2021 | The full recap

odhiex

If next year's E3 is going to be like these again, honestly why bother with having E3 anymore?

Literally only Microsoft's showcase worth watching so far, others didn't even trying lol. Hopefully, Nintendo Direct would not disappoint. Bye E3, it was nice knowing you (a bit sarcastic, of course)

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If next year's E3 is going to be like these again, honestly why bother with having E3 anymore?

Literally only Microsoft's showcase worth watching so far, others didn't even trying lol. Hopefully, Nintendo Direct would not disappoint. Bye E3, it was nice knowing you (a bit sarcastic, of course)
Next year should be better as it will be back in person, with audiences and a show floor, and less time for the shitty ass panels they showed today.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Rankings so far:

Guerilla Collective: A+
Day of the Devs: A
PC Gaming Show: A
VR Upload: B+
IGN showcase: B
Future Games Show: B-
Square Enix: C+
Xbox: C+
Tribeca Games: C+
Devolver: C
Ubisoft: C
Limited Run Games: C
Summer Games Fest: D+
Capcom: D-
Koch Media: F

Popup

There have been a raft of new trailers uploaded over the last couple of days on the official PlayStation channel. When you look at the format of some other shows, they could have just played them back to back and called it a presentation anyway.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get so I have to ask, how are Square and MS rated the same?
MS's grade went down almost a full letter based upon expectation vs the reality of what they showed(mostly small cutscene trailers over gameplay trailers/showcases). Whereas on the other hand, I didn't expect much from Square Enix this year and they somewhat-delivered(full gameplay trailers and gameplay segments).

If this were Texas hold'em, MS had the potential for a royal flush. And in this theoretical poker game, they made one of the following fatal mistakes: folded early before all dealer cards were played, replaced their really good cards early on, or did not bet big enough with amazing hand thus winning almost no money from the pot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagey K

Banned
MS's grade went down almost a full letter based upon expectation vs the reality of what they showed(mostly small cutscene trailers over gameplay trailers/showcases). Whereas on the other hand, I didn't expect much from Square Enix this year and they somewhat-delivered(full gameplay trailers and gameplay segments).

If this were Texas hold'em, MS had the potential for a royal flush. And in this theoretical poker game, they made one of the following fatal mistakes: folded early before all dealer cards were played, replaced their really good cards early on, or did not bet big enough with amazing hand thus winning almost no money from the pot.
Even if MS only had a deuce it beats the square conference.

They fucked up a Pkatinum game and a Team Ninja game in under 10 seconds

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Even if MS only had a deuce it beats the square conference.

They fucked up a Platinum game and a Team Ninja game in under 10 seconds.

I didn't grade them to be direct comparisons.

Also the quality of what is showed doesn't matter. Square Enix showed new gameplay of a previously announced title, more gameplay of previously announced titles, and new gameplay of three unannounced titles, and short trailers for a few older titles being remastered. Their conference was mostly gameplay focused and delivered on showing gameplay. The only place they faltered was the amount of content.

MS showed a new gameplay trailer of one previously announced title(Stalker 2) and new gameplay of an unannounced yet expected title(New Forza) and then new, yet very short trailers, of unnanounced titles(Shredders, Slime Rancher 2, Atomic Heart, Replaced, Outer Worlds 2, Redfall, Starfield). A few of these could have benefited from more gameplay being shown.

Pyschonauts 2 should have shown a gameplay segment(but was saved for media outlets). Instead, DLC for Grounded was fully shown.
The Halo infinite Multiplayer gameplay should have been shown during presentation(but was saved for after) instead of the oddly cut cinematic from the campaign and a very small trailer for multiplayer. Instead, DLC for Sea of Thieves was fully shown.
Leftover scraps of gameplay trailers of Ubisoft games were shown when Ubi already revealed and showed their own gameplay during their conference.
Starfield comes out soon. No gameplay at all? Why didn't they do a blowout of content like Skyrim and Fallout 4?

Other trailers of older games were shown because game pass announcements and advertising was the primary goal instead of gameplay showcases. This wasn't the time for that and MS has had way better paced shows with much better content than this: MS E3 2019.

Again, expectation vs reality was the reason for their drop in grade. They can do much better than this and I'm hoping E3 2022 will deliver for them like 2019 did.

Edit: If you want to know why these are my top 5 so far

Guerilla Collective: A+
Day of the Devs: A
PC Gaming Show: A
VR Upload: B+
IGN showcase: B

It's because they did exactly what I wanted. They showed a substantial amount of new gameplay, they were well paced and well presented with good surprises on top of that. That's all you need.

DonJorginho

Banned
This is the first E3 where publishers have seemed to want to outdo eachother in woeful conferences.

Ubisoft had an awful event with time dedicated to old games, a horrible looking Rainbow spin-off, a fucking terrible film (???!?!?!?) and then they rounded it off with Avatar.

Then here comes Gearbox with the same fucking trailer from Keighley's Event, and 20 minutes of behind the scenes awkwardness with Randy Bitchford.

A new challenger arrives in Square Enix with their 20 minutes spent on Mehvel games, then to be finished off with Chaos: The Game.

But then a NEW challenger arrives with Capcom who don't announce anything new, spend time on RE:Verse and round off their event on E-Sports.

This has been a horrible E3, please for the love of god Nintendo, don't let me down.

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't get your hopes up for more Elden Ring during the Bandai Namco show, apparently it's about House of Ashes only:

Everyone can add another +1 on their "this sucks" list.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
This is the first E3 where publishers have seemed to want to outdo eachother in woeful conferences.

Ubisoft had an awful event with time dedicated to old games, a horrible looking Rainbow spin-off, a fucking terrible film (???!?!?!?) and then they rounded it off with Avatar.

Then here comes Gearbox with the same fucking trailer from Keighley's Event, and 20 minutes of behind the scenes awkwardness with Randy Bitchford.

A new challenger arrives in Square Enix with their 20 minutes spent on Mehvel games, then to be finished off with Chaos: The Game.

But then a NEW challenger arrives with Capcom who don't announce anything new, spend time on RE:Verse and round off their event on E-Sports.

This has been a horrible E3, please for the love of god Nintendo, don't let me down.

you forgot the Koch Media "Primetime E3" zoom call

scydrex

Worst E3 ever. The PC Gaming and MS shows were ok. Capcom, Ubisoft and Square conference was garbage. If this continue then i don´t see why E3 is still alive.

Last edited:
I know we are still waiting on nintendo - but does anyone have a large wip image that just shows all the titles/a screenshot of everything shown this e3?

I really just want one concise image to view everything thats gone down. ya know, how people create those release date ones of upcoming games on reddit? something like that....

if not, could someone make one :messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_blowing_kiss:

Kenpachii

e9f2f9a6fad18872fa82f4cbda190dd3.png

Good luck with that rofl

Last edited:

SSfox

442479924eaac1e20fe942a0a3185843.gif

No Sony it's snooz fest guaranteed.

Thankfully there were still some great games announcement, specially the GOAT aka Elden Ring.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
why don't we have an e3 memes thread anymore? that was like the main reason I joined gaf lol
They moved to the other site along with the hype-types. We're left with the complainers.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Underwhelming E3, but there are still some big announcements to come this summer.

EA have their EA play in July, which I'm expecting to see some exciting announcements, including the KOTOR reboot and of course, FIFA 22 (Huge FIFA fan here)

Then we have Sony. No State of Play has been announced yet, but I refuse to believe there won't be one within the next four weeks. I need to see some Ragnarok gameplay on the PS5!

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
People expected a lot with E3 disappearing and coming back, and I can't really blame them. But I reserved every little bit of expectations. Because of the COVID stuff, etc. As excited I wanted to be about it, and of course a part of me still was, I just didn't want to be disappointed at all. The end result left me feeling amused at the shortcomings rather than bummed, so I'm happy about that, lmao.

I felt like a lot of the indie reveals were great, and they were plentiful AF. In terms of AAA related, I felt Microsoft was easily on top, Nintendo a bit after.

The end result though felt like E3 really didn't need to happen. A lot of this could've just been done by the publishers themselves, and maybe even better in some instances. Well, and some publishers probably wouldn't have done anything at all as their presentations felt half baked, if that.

It was cool to be excited about the vibe of E3 time, but it all just felt incredibly lackluster in the end. I think one of the least exciting E3 times in quite awhile.

Bombolone

Gold Member
it was doo doo. I will reason that the pandemic made it so.
I'm glad june/july are dedicated to gaming. So looking forward to more announcements/trailers/gameplay.
Nintendo and Microsoft held it down for me. Nothing spectacular, but good to see the ball rolling.
No lie, I enjoyed the Razor presentation. The guy speaking had good energy... so thin... so ultra. That 14" Razor has my attention.

Me: The times when E3 announcements could hype or surprise me are long gone.
Nintendo: We won't show Metroid Prime 4 today, but...
Me: Let me guess, another stupid Metroid multiplayer soccer game?
Nintendo: Metroid 5
Me: Wha-
Nintendo: Metroid Dread
Me: *collapses*

Fbh

Ok so now that I think we are done:

Keighley thing: 6/10 (only because of Elden Ring)
Microsoft: 7/10
Devolver: 7/10
Ubisoft 3/10
Square 2/10 (bumped from 0 because Capcom was actually worse)
Capcom 0/10
Nintendo 6/10
Bandai Namco -5/10

user1337

I miss the old E3 . There was so much more excitement and enjoyment watching with a live audience cheering.

First year in a long time I've basically not wanted to watch anything from start to finish without waiting for the presentation to be over so I could watch it at 2x speed.

reksveks

Anyone else got a list of indies that impressed them ?

Moonglow Bay
Lake
Unbeatable
Somerville
Death's Door
Tunic
Walk
Loot River
Last Stop
Sable
Replaced
Ascent
12 Minutes
Hades***
The Gunk
Road 96
Soup Pot

Stranger of Paradise
Kena

Trying to build out a calendar so i can add it to my favourite calendar app so I don't forget about them. I am sure I am missing some stuff.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized there was no CoD? If true, is this first time ever CoD was not shown at E3?
Geoff Keighley's Summer Games show had CoD multiplayer DLC story shown. (The dude with the mask)

Top Bottom