• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Skab

Regarding MKX's netcode, if it was any good at all they would be hyping that to the high heavens. I fully expect it to between somewhere between bad and absolute trash.

Ed recently mentioned in an interview that they have really been working on the netcode, and that its "considerable improved" over Injustice. Plus they're having that giant ESL online only tourney, which would be kind of crazy to have if the netcode wasn't up to it. So hopefully it will be okay this time around.

Kalamari

It's that time once again...
qCu2Z5f.jpg

Gundam EXVS Full Boost

Although it does have an active tournament scene in Japan, but not in the U.S.

zlatko

Banned
In response to shadowebbs question: Garou was a great suggestion. Never even heard of the game until it came out on Live and I fell in love with it immediately. I refrained from buying it, though, because I knew no one would play it with me.

I love when Rock Howard yells DIIIIIIICK WOOOOOOOOOOOOLF!!!

Anne

So, after NCR I talked to one of the KiT guys and we'll probably be tightening up set up procedures the way I and 645 talked about. Seems like a no brainer.

Are there any good highlight vids from Hypespotting out? I found myself enthralled with the announcer accents but there was some actually good matches going on and I only caught a fraction of it since it was unpredictable when it would be streaming.

AAK

Ed recently mentioned in an interview that they have really been working on the netcode, and that its "considerable improved" over Injustice. Plus they're having that giant ESL online only tourney, which would be kind of crazy to have if the netcode wasn't up to it. So hopefully it will be okay this time around.

Tekken 6 had online tournaments with MLG. It's true that it was crazy but it's happened before so we still have no indication whether or not the netcode will be any good.

I really want to get the game but I don't wan to waste my money if it's unplayable online.

Horseress

Tekken 6 had online tournaments with MLG. It's true that it was crazy but it's happened before so we still have no indication whether or not the netcode will be any good.

Really? :lol

Well, but back then there was no such thing as good netcode. Now with all this technology, and a bunch of official online tournaments ahead, I doubt the netcode will be bad. I don't think it'll be awesome, but not bad.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Was playing First Light and came across this. Smedgie boy is selling sticks now? Mad Catz to go out of business.

ihYv19TKkz3Av.png

Daigo won a U.S major. I could cry but he's still a bum. Has to win EVO.

Was playing First Light and came across this. Smedgie boy is selling sticks now? Mad Catz to go out of business.

ihYv19TKkz3Av.png

That's pretty tight, lol

Hire me Markman, let's get Swick's Joysticks rolling

zlatko

Banned
Real Talk---USF4 PC edition is the worst version of this game both from a technical standpoint and a community standpoint.

1/3 rage quit.
1/3 have horrible net.

Take your beatings you NetZeroBoyz...

GooeyHeat

qCu2Z5f.jpg
Fighting Vipers 2 is my actual favorite 3D fighter ever and I'd love at least an online-enabled re-release.
The game flows really nicely; it's a faster-paced, more over-the-top Virtua Fighter in some ways, but it doesn't revolve around juggle combos as much as Tekken due to the ability to recover in the air. It also has Tech Guard which is basically a parry with some universal follow-ups; or you can Tech Guard and do nothing to put yourself at frame advantage. The characters are completely ridiculous; have fun hopping on a BMX bike and hopping around as your mixup, or doing flying spinning pile drivers thanks to your rocket-powered robo-teddy-bear backpack. Or just pick Bahn and slam your fists into people until they die.
Here's three hours of unfortunately VHS-quality footage of proper competitive play.

SEGA in general are sitting on a fucking gold mine of classic arcade games that either don't have ports or only have bad ports.

Also since I'm a goof I'd like to see KOF2000 or KOFXI get a scene. Both of those were the most fully-realized versions of unorthodox systems (Strikers and tag team, respectively) in the series and they're just weird fun.

smurfx

get some go again

ihYv19TKkz3Av.png

he might as well sell his sticks since he's never putting them to good use.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I can't wait to watch Smug in Japan vs the best of the best. It will be a wonderful learning experience for this young man.

He is still the future of SF in my books. And, I know he got blown up in top 8. However, the test of a good player is how he picks himself up after a loss. I still believe in him.

I was disheartened to read the racist and somewhat silly "shots" fired off on Smug after his top 8 performance across the internet. I don't understand why are people such racist pricks whenever Smug or SnakeEyes lose?

(Note: I don't consider these online trolls as a part of the FGC. We all know very well these idiots would not have the balls to say the shit they do in a real offline tournament.)

Anne

Smug is really good, but he's not at that level yet where he can make those adjustments, especially in neutral and especially that fast :T

He does perfectly represent America in this case.

Man seeing Daigo still killing on Street Fighter makes me wish all the old school players come back and give it a second run

zlatko

Banned
I can't wait to watch Smug in Japan vs the best of the best. It will be a wonderful learning experience for this young man.

He is still the future of SF in my books. And, I know he got blown up in top 8. However, the test of a good player is how he picks himself up after a loss. I still believe in him.

I was disheartened to read the racist and somewhat silly "shots" fired off on Smug after his top 8 performance across the internet. I don't understand why are people such racist pricks whenever Smug or SnakeEyes lose?

(Note: I don't consider these online trolls as a part of the FGC. We all know very well these idiots would not have the balls to say the shit they do in a real offline tournament.)

Even if they say it in person or not... you have to deal with the FACT that the FGC is filled with these scumbags, and yes they are a part of it. If they watch the events, buy the merch, buy the games, or go to the events---they are very much a part of it. You may not like they are, but they are in every corner of e-sports.

Trolls are everywhere.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Smug is really good, but he's not at that level yet where he can make those adjustments, especially in neutral and especially that fast :T

He does perfectly represent America in this case.

It sucks with the problem of distance in the U.S. I honestly think John Choi mentoring Smug would see him transform into a true outright beast. Just the way Choi teaches people he takes under his wings produces results.

Anne

The way Choi plays, he doesn't have the same huge weakness most NA players do. The more I see NA players vs JP players, the more obvious it is that NA's major weakness is taking into account the opponent and then making those adjustments quickly. Our ability to just analyze a player and adjust is on average pretty poor, and that's a huge deal at a super high level. It shows really hard in the neutral spots we lose in, then when certain situations breakdown it can get worse. It also shows in our character selection too.

We're not all that bad at the games, we just have a pretty important weak area right there I think ;_;

Edit: Choi isn't like a super godlike exception or anything, he's just way better at that than most of us over here.

qCu2Z5f.jpg

KOF13 :(

(But Juice, the game has tournaments!)
No, no it doesn't. There are like, 40 people who practice the game in the whole country.
Runner-up: Garou: MotW
---
Regarding Smug, he has excellent footsies and decision-making. At least, against other american players. You can say something similar about Gustavo and Snake Eyez. I won't say that they don't stand a chance, but frankly, they cannot win -consistently- against the top players from across the globe. Here in the US, they are not truly challenged in the ways they need to be. And they probably will not be ever.

They can be outguessed, and they can be counterpicked, but they are not routinely getting -outplayed mentally-. This is a problem for any serious player with hopes of improving.

Anne

Regarding Smug, he has excellent footsies and decision-making. At least, against other american players. You can say something similar about Gustavo and Snake Eyez. I won't say that they don't stand a chance, but frankly, they cannot win -consistently- against the top players from across the globe. Here in the US, they are not truly challenged in the ways they need to be. And they probably will not ever.

They can be outguessed, and they can be counterpicked, but they are not routinely getting -outplayed mentally-. This is a problem for any serious player with hopes of improving.

Better way of saying what I'm trying to say. As usual :<

vocab

US biggest problem in SF is that we don't have enough practice against premiere shoto's because we don't have any like we used to. Also, we seem to have a hard time against guile and gief thus shows a lack of patience in play style. Smug uses that to his advantage here and destroys most of the US easily. Japanese players shut down the explosive style really easy. It might work like a few rounds, but they easily adapt because they have dealt with those kind of play styles before.

Or it could be that the game is so old and no one really cares about the game anymore. They are there for the money, and they are going to do what they always knew and hope that's enough.

Nyoro SF

Smug has amazing footsies and knows when to mix up very well but if there's one killer weakness it's his defense. I have never seen someone get counter-hit so much while blocking relatively harmless strings that don't contain any form of frame traps or staggers.

Maybe it's the style of character Dudley is to always go in that lends Smug to not focus on defense as much.

I'm getting my first fight stick soon. I'm moving up. Maybe :X Hope I don't suck too bad.
There's definitely a learning curve you have to get over but if it works for you then go for it! (I still haven't been able to play TGM with stick, but for fighting games stick has helped against carpal tunnel really well)

mbpm1

Man seeing Daigo still killing on Street Fighter makes me wish all the old school players come back and give it a second run

John Choi never left technically.

Also I heard that Smug's duffs convinced Kokujin the 3s player to come back and play a little, which gave Bonchan the exp to bop smug 1-5 in a money match

sikvod00

Banned
What does a defensive, footsie oriented Dudley look like? I don't think that's the optimal way to play the character. Once again, Dudley's mid-range is unexceptional. Character loyalty can only take you so far. I mean, there's a reason shotos are so heavily favored in Japan. Now that's not to say Smug still can't improve his gameplay before switching to a pocket character (he still should learn a pocket character :p). Like others said, he was stubborn during matches and didn't try to adjust to his opponents counters.

Top Bottom