• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Lemstar

If anyone's planning on getting MKX and hasn't already preordered it, I can preorder a few more copies from Best Buy for release day delivery with the Gamers Club Unlocked discount ($48 + tax shipped). Bug me about it.

It's also just people heading straight for character select far more often nowadays. It's not necessarily that the game became more counterpick heavy, it's that the players are playing it that way.

What does a defensive, footsie oriented Dudley look like? Is that even the best way to play the character? Once again, Dudley's mid-range is unexceptional

A defensive Dudley would wait at a range where stHP, crMP, crMK, and stHK can effectively counterpoke normals that an opponent attempts.

The issue with "defensive" counter-poking as a strategy is that

1) you have to be at the perfect range for it to work
2) the opponent has to press the button at the moment you're looking for it
3) the opponent has to press -the right- button [ie, Dudley's stHK will counterpoke E.Ryu's stMP or stHP, but not his crMK, Dudley would need to use crMK or crHK for that]

This is a lot of work that can fail if the opponent doesn't fall for it. Most players would say this is too much work.

Except that Smug does this stuff -routinely- and it is one of the reasons he makes Dudley work well in the first place. Defensive counter-poking is one of the cornerstones of footsies and any player that wants to be ACTUALLY GOOD at Street Fighter needs it in their repertoire.
---
Smug did nothing wrong in his loss to Daigo. What he did was make certain decisions that Daigo was able to play around. It's possible that Daigo made good predictions of what Smug would attempt, and it's also possible that Daigo played over Smug's head and when Smug tried to adapt Daigo was one step ahead. Or both of these might be true. In either case, the problem is not with anything that Smug can practice nor is the problem with Dudley.

zlatko

Banned
If anyone's planning on getting MKX and hasn't already preordered it, I can preorder a few more copies from Best Buy for release day delivery with the Gamers Club Unlocked discount ($48 + tax shipped). Bug me about it.

Is it possible for you to pre-order, pick in store pick up for the location near me, and then I go there to get it for $48.00 ?

Lemstar

Is it possible for you to pre-order, pick in store pick up for the location near me, and then I go there to get it for $48.00 ?
Instore pickup on release day is fine, but payment for those orders are made when the order is placed, so you can't pay in-store at time of pickup if that's what you wanted.

Rainy

Banned
@KelvinsHouse: What it's like to live w/ @GamerBeeTW

"Wash your face"
"Did you take out the trash"
"Take your medicine"

Like an older brother I never had

Bruce so responsible!

Laconic

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159100708]Agreed. Hokuto no Ken shouldn't be played on a respectable stage. It deserves the dark corners of the world, for those of us who truly appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Who do you use?

Kimosabae

Banned
A defensive Dudley would wait at a range where stHP, crMP, crMK, and stHK can effectively counterpoke normals that an opponent attempts.

The issue with "defensive" counter-poking as a strategy is that

1) you have to be at the perfect range for it to work
2) the opponent has to press the button at the moment you're looking for it
3) the opponent has to press -the right- button [ie, Dudley's stHK will counterpoke E.Ryu's stMP or stHP, but not his crMK, Dudley would need to use crMK or crHK for that]

This is a lot of work that can fail if the opponent doesn't fall for it. Most players would say this is too much work.

Except that Smug does this stuff -routinely- and it is one of the reasons he makes Dudley work well in the first place. Defensive counter-poking is one of the cornerstones of footsies and any player that wants to be ACTUALLY GOOD at Street Fighter needs it in their repertoire.
---
Smug did nothing wrong in his loss to Daigo. What he did was make certain decisions that Daigo was able to play around. It's possible that Daigo made good predictions of what Smug would attempt, and it's also possible that Daigo played over Smug's head and when Smug tried to adapt Daigo was one step ahead. Or both of these might be true. In either case, the problem is not with anything that Smug can practice nor is the problem with Dudley.

You don't know what you're talking about Smug doesn't have footsies

Imm0rt4l

What does a defensive, footsie oriented Dudley look like? I don't think that's the optimal way to play the character. Once again, Dudley's mid-range is unexceptional. Character loyalty can only take you so far. I mean, there's a reason shotos are so heavily favored in Japan. Now that's not to say Smug still can't improve his gameplay before switching to a pocket character (he still should learn a pocket character :p). Like others said, he was stubborn during matches and didn't try to adjust to his opponents counters.
Basically. And anyone who says that he doesn't have footages doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

He's a great player who needs a secondary character to fill in the gaps. His match vs gamerbee's elena is proof enough of that. SnakeEyez using e.ryu treated him well enough. Their characters aren't well rounded enough to be consistent at high levels.

FourMyle

Now that Daigo has won a premier event I am rooting for Snake Eyez next to win one.

I'll never stop believing in that gief

Why? Because of the damage output? Seth has toilet paper health and most chars can take him out quickly if he makes the wrong reads. Poongko looked out of it to be honest. He fought back much better against Smug at CC.

one combo stun? a matchup where dudley isn't outmatched in terms of footsie normals?

and don't make up things to prove your point

9cqmto0.jpg

sikvod00

Banned
GH nerf was severe but I don't want to go back either. Sorry, big man. Your big, russian bear ass shouldn't be able to close the gap so quickly or punish things like Akuma's sweep on block. lol

mbpm1

GH nerf was severe but I don't want to go back either. Sorry, big man. Your big, russian bear ass shouldn't be able to close the gap so quickly or punish things like Akuma's sweep on block. lol

Why tho

why can't russians have good things

decapre don't count

Shouta

Can someone explain where T. Hawk entered the discussion?

I am at a loss as to where, given the players...

It's in a reference to a post I made and Beef agreed with awhile back about how I don't think Smug has footsies but is good at counter poking and closing the distance instantly.

Laconic

Banned
It's in a reference to a post I made and Beef agreed with awhile back about how I don't think Smug has footsies but is good at counter poking and closing the distance instantly.

Oooh.

I... actually agree with the T. Hawk players.

About Smug, not their character choice.

sikvod00

Banned
one combo stun? a matchup where dudley isn't outmatched in terms of footsie normals?

and don't make up things to prove your point

9cqmto0.jpg
just because dudley hurts doesn't make the matchup bad for seth. 1 combo stuns on him is not a new thing or exclusive to dudley. low health was always the great (and lazy) equalizer to chars like seth\akuma who have well-rounded options.

yes, seth doesn't have shoto normals but he still has fast quick jabs and pokes and a low forward to keep dudley in check. he also has an actual reversal (unlike dudley), dive kick and a command grab to make dudley think twice about getting in too close for frame traps.

Top Bottom