• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN/AP: 3-on-3 basketball added to 2020 Tokyo Olympic program

Tripon

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- The IOC added 3-on-3 basketball to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic program on Friday in an effort to give the games a more youthful and urban appeal.

In another move toward street sports, BMX Freestyle cycling will join the Olympics for the first time among a net increase of 15 gold medals for a 321-event program.

The overall athlete quota for 28 core sports will be 10,616 athletes in Tokyo, including 64 in 3-on-3 basketball. There will be eight teams in each of the men's and women's tournaments of the half-court format, which was introduced at the 2010 Youth Olympics in Singapore.

"The dream of a path from the streets to the Olympic Games has become reality for all the basketball community," said Patrick Baumann, the secretary general of basketball governing body FIBA.

An urban Tokyo venue for 3-on-3 basketball could be announced when the IOC executive board meets again in Lausanne on July 9-10, IOC sports director Kit McConnell said.
http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/19588090/3-3-basketball-added-2020-tokyo-olympic-program

It won't be a full sport in 2020, but if it goes well, it will be at the 2024 games for sure, which will either be Paris or L.A., with the city that doesn't get 2024 likely will get 2028.

Brinbe

Wonder who the US would send? Interesting to think what three NBA players would comprise a great team? Do you go Guard/Forward/Center?

Or do you go with something like a Boogie/KAT/Davis?

Paul George/Durant/LeBron?

I think at a minimum all 3 guys need to be able hit a 3 and be good perimeter/post defenders. The more versatility, the better.

Aaaaaand all the NBA players already for the most part said they wouldn't do it.

Which is a damn shame.

Ice Cube is doing a Big 3 tourney, right? Get some of those guys, like AI, some prep time and let them go at it.

ahoyle77

How does 3v3 basketball make it in before futsal? Excited for this however, but I swear I read one of the reasons futsal was denied recently was that it was a variation of soccer, which is already in.

Signed- the one guy here that watches futsal

IISANDERII

Wonder what the rules are. Half court? Goaltending permitted? Love to see how goaltending would go, when your teammate goes for a three, it's not about boxing out for the rebound anymore.

I highly doubt NBA players will do this, unless they wanna get gold in two different events or whatever. Or if they can't make the team and are relegated to this.

And you can't just take any players, 3 on 3 favors strong half court defenders, post up players, and 3/outside shoorters like Davis and Leonard would do well in this format, but they obviously wanna make the regular team, and if they don't I'm not sure they'd go for this.

How does 3v3 basketball make it in before futsal? Excited for this however, but I swear I read one of the reasons futsal was denied recently was that it was a variation of soccer, which is already in.

Signed- the one guy here that watches futsal

Maybe if FIFA didn't have this stupid U-23 rule for the regular game, the IOC would play nice with them. BTW, there was supposed to be a pro futsal league in the US with Mark Cuban as a partner, but nothing came of it so far.

Apoc29

The dream team

c8spaLf.gif

Top Bottom