• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Olympic bid committee (2024) co-president on esports possible role in Olympics

Which game are you most hoping to see as an Olympic Sport in 2024?

Results are only viewable after voting.

mjc

Probably the dumbest thing I could imagine. Let esports have its own event for world championships, stay out of the Olympics. Come on.

pislit

LMFAO people concerned of the sanctity of the Olympics being tarnished by esports.

Guess what, the Olympics is a capitalist venture, they don't care about its reputation, esports bring tons of money, and that's all about it.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
It's still several levels less taxing than most "normal" sports and barely any more taxing than playing a videogame for the equivalent time.
I'm sorry, but this is unequivocally false. Racing drivers are athletes, they use a car the same way an archer uses a bow or a cyclist uses a bike. There have been instances of a driver losing several pounds of bodyweight after a race.

There was a top player from iRacing (a popular pc racing sim) who was given an opportunity to test a race car. He lapped slower than regular drivers and was physically exhausted. Saying that playing a videogame is a taxing as racing over 2 hours is an insult to every racing driver out there.

As someone who could only beat Stage 1 of the 3 Catherine bonus rounds (fuck you Stage 2)...that'd be pretty cool to see the Gold Medal match.

oti

Banned
LMFAO people concerned of the sanctity of the Olympics being tarnished by esports.

Guess what, the Olympics is a capitalist venture, they don't care about its reputation, esports bring tons of money, and that's all about it.

esports aside, I'd like to point out that the Olympic Games are greater than the terrible body organising them. Their message of a peaceful competition has not changed over the thousands of years since their birth and it's still as valuable as it was in Ancient Greece.

That said, if the prospect of being Olympic sports makes esports finally grow up, I'm all for it.

moeman

You misunderstand me, i opened my post, my first post, saying esports shouldn't be in the olympics, this is not a legitimacy thing.

What im saying is that most people have some sort of dumb dudebro logic to why esports shouldn't be in, that if followed it should disqualify a lot of "sports" from being sports, and olympic events from being in the olympics, like Archery and Shooting, specially shooting.

It's pretty dumb to attack esports on that angle when real reasons like, as some people have stated, competitive gaming involves a competition owned entirely by a company (the game maker), if you make League of Legends an olympic event, that's a "sport" completely owned by a company (Riot), while no one owns other sports, no one owns Football, No one owns Weight Lifting, Diving, etc.

I understand where you're coming from. By the way, I'm not trying to be negative or demeaning towards esports. I certainly think they have their place and they are extremely entertaining and demanding in their own way. I just think that the more "traditional" sports and esports should be separate entities. There's no point in trying to mash them together in something like the olympics because they have different draws, different audiences and different strengths.

Your last point is a good one though, and I do think the worse offender is giving corporate entities multi-million dollars worth of free marketing is kind of a disguising thought.

You guys can laugh all you want but curling is harder than it looks and incredibly physically taxing. Not everyone can just go ahead and do it, especially if you're not in shape.

I just mowed my lawn with a push mower and I feel more exhausted than the time I did curling years ago. It's as much a sport as any other game drunks can play (darts, bowling, etc..)

Asd202

I don't think espots in regular Olympics is a good idea. Just make esports Olympics and get companies and teams behind for $$$.

Babyshams

Against it for the sole reason of the game would need to be constantly changed. So Overwatch is added in 2024, but by that time there is a new hot game, overwatch is dying off by 2028 whats the new game they add? Is the medal in esports? gaming? or Overwatch?

It just doesn;t make sense to me. Sure rules in other olympic sports change over time, but that is a very long slow change and the basic sport remains the same. I don't see how esports could fit into the olympic world.

Everybody knows that the Olympics are about the money, for the ones controlling it, the sponsors behind it, and most of the ones deciding to hold it. You're not bringing new knowledge with that.

But for us still holding an interest in it, it's not about not about those parties and their interests, but about seeing good competitions by good athletes.

That a lot surrounding is tainted does not medan that we should give up on that interest and welcome an "anything goes" view of it, which is what e-sports in the competition would mean for me.

Rellik

For an Olympic gold medal, hell yes. There is nothing above an Olympic gold medal in sports. At all.

Ask any top professional football player what they would prefer between an Olympic gold medal or a World Cup.

Ask any Olympic boxer what they'd prefer between an Olympic gold medal and turning pro to become world champion.

Ask any Tennis player what they'd prefer between an Olympic gold medal or winning Wimbledon.

Ask any golfer...

You get the message.

Ask any top professional football player what they would prefer between an Olympic gold medal or a World Cup.

Ask any Olympic boxer what they'd prefer between an Olympic gold medal and turning pro to become world champion.

Ask any Tennis player what they'd prefer between an Olympic gold medal or winning Wimbledon.

Ask any golfer...

You get the message.

It very much depends on where you are from. In all your examples there are athletes from countries that would say they prefer the gold medal.

Rush_Khan

From what I've seen, eSports are actually pretty tough and require rigorous training.

Or I just suck at games T_T

Petrae

This would be worth it, just for the trash-talking and insults. NBC censors would have their hands full. Somebody would also have to give Mike Tirico the rundown on the video games being played.

Maybe the IOC will consider other new events, in the spirit of competition: Fidget Spinner Freestyle; Parkour; Scrabble; Texas Hold-'Em; Stock Car Racing.

All of these events, like eSports, require hours of practice and dedication and intense training in order to be the best in the world.

Dot-N-Run

I hope all these Catherine votes in the poll are not in jest, as it is legitimately amazing to watch competitive matches of it.

BumRush

I mean given the last thread we had about even the idea of this I can imagine this will go swimmingly.

Esports is an ever growing thing and eventually the older generation is going to have to just deal with that that, but slapping them into the Olympics is a dangerous prospect. You are going to have a hell of a revolt.

At best they should get a separate "event". In the same way that there's the Olympics and the ParaOlympics, there should be an eOlympics. Because if for even a second you think people are going to entertain "We now leave the track and field competition to see what's going on in Dota 2"....

Lol yup...

Nilaul

Mario Kart needs to be in the Olympics.

"USA is going for gold! Oh no! It's a blue shell! In a devastating turn of events, USA gets overtaken by North Korea, Russia, and China just before the finish line."

espher

I've been an advocate that eSport is Sport for a long time.

I know people are like "but omg there is no physical activity component" - it's only a matter of time before you start training regiments ramp up just like other sports. Let's not forget it wasn't all that long ago in the grand scheme of things that hockey players were drinking and smoking and shit between periods of a game.

I, for one, look forward to the eSports nutrition revolution.

The biggest difference between traditional sport and eSports in this model will be that the game being played will change. It wouldn't surprise me to see them categorize it by broad genre - first-person shooter, real-time strategy, etc. - and have the game change periodically.

Top Bottom