• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Esports Could Be In 2024 Olympics

Joe T.

The earliest esports could make it to the Olympic games appears to be 2024, during the games to be held in Paris. The planning for which sports will be held at the 2024 games starts in 2019, and Tony Estanguet, co-president of the Paris Olympic bid committee, has confirmed in an interview with The Associated Press that he will ensure gaming will be discussed as an option by the IOC and esports representatives.

So esports isn’t cemented as an Olympic sport just yet, but the industry is growing rapidly and creating new jobs— and not just for professional esports athletes. Some law groups have created divisions which specialize in legal issues surrounding the industryand some doctors have expanded their offerings to support esports athletes. Though we’re a long way from 2024, the esports industry does not appear to be slowing down before then, and gaming becoming a sport in the Olympic games could help the Games stay fresh and relevant for younger generations.

More at Variety.

I'm all for promoting competitive gaming, but I think developers are going to have to work towards making their games easier to follow if they're hoping to attract viewers, like making spectator modes that allow you to watch specific players/teams/areas a standard feature from here on out.

Catphish

I would support a digital olympics but, if I'm being honest, I don't think esports belongs in the regular Olympics.

While I can understand the glee of being "validated" by a sport organization like the Olympics, this doesn't seem like a good route to go. eSports should have their own venues, their own coverage, their own pundits, their own announcers, etc. because it is a part of the culture and history of eSports. I'd prefer to see stuff like EVO + ESPN, more/bigger tournaments like Combo Breaker, Frosty Faustings, EVO Japan, etc. etc., anything that adds more visibility to the various eSports titles.

Shouta

Not really sure how to feel about this especially when what things I imagine could be required for esports titles to actually qualify.

Joe T.

While I can understand the glee of being "validated" by a sport organization like the Olympics, this doesn't seem like a good route to go. eSports should have their own venues, their own coverage, their own pundits, their own announcers, etc. because it is a part of the culture and history of eSports. I'd prefer to see stuff like EVO + ESPN, more/bigger tournaments like Combo Breaker, Frosty Faustings, EVO Japan, etc. etc., anything that adds more visibility to the various eSports titles.

That sounds like a more appropriate approach to me, too.

Top Bottom