• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Olympic bid committee (2024) co-president on esports possible role in Olympics

Which game are you most hoping to see as an Olympic Sport in 2024?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am not a big esports guy so I have little understanding for pushing this idea but I have to wonder.

If we consider esports tentatively in the same vein as athletics in that it is "one event" or "one category" with mutliple "disciplines" (in this case games) in it, then that would mean (as an example) that League of Legends or Overwatch get to be permanent "disciplines" within the esports "sport" (which is not an easy classification to get for any regular sport).

What troubles me with this idea is that the popularity and sustainability of regular sports is much more lasting than that of video/computer games. LoL or Overwatch won't be popular forever and its audience will certainly decline over time. Whould such a thing even deserve to be a permanent Olympic discpline then? Especially since games are private properties of companies and not a "common good"?

Also, I think it would be a travesty for esports to get in before chess. Chess has tried to become an Olympic discipline probably since time immemorial and was always refused. Mind you, CHESS which has a much bigger tradition and a shitton more respect than esports could ever hope to have, even if the prize pools don't really compare.

jdmonmou

It'd be interesting to watch if esports does become a thing. The only issue I see is that some of the content in some games (e.g. FPS games) could turn off advertisers.

I'd also watch if drone racing was an Olympic sport. I discovered that recently by watching ESPN.

Trogdor1123

So shooting and archery are a no go?

Oh, I think they should be in for sure but im not too familiar with those sports so really cant say with any degree of certainty. I know the biathalon is considered one of the most difficult sports in the world. Other than that, I know very little about those sports (even though I like shooting myself).

Could you share a bit on them?

ViciousDS

Banned
oh god no.......host a massive separate event every 4 years for esports if you want.....but do not smash them in with the olympics.....thats a bad idea.

Esports as a whole also doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a general term referring to all kinds of games being played. It's like referring to the entirety of the Olympics as just one sport. Figuring that out is going to be a nightmare especially for the (older) Olympic planners.

Trogdor1123

Would they mandate the hardware as well? Would be interesting how that was handled from even to event.

Could you imagine you lost cause you got some lag that was hardware related... Same as another physical item failing I suppose

pagrab

What is going on? I was pretty sure that people on this forum will be more open to this idea.
I can understand the debate over chess but e-sports are just as much of a physical activity as some of the olympic sports. Yes, it uses equipment, but so do many other disciplines.

Can anyone who is against it point out the main aspect of e-sports that makes him/her think it a bad idea?

TheSun

Can't wait!

It may actually get me to watch the Olympics.
Actually probably not, nothing will, but I still say yeh.

Bring it on.

I'm not really convinced there's a demand for esports in traditional sports spaces. The semantics and imaginary prestige of it are irrelevant, it just seems like esports found their niche in separate events on platforms better suited for their demographic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean even if we were just sticking to the top ten most watched eSports for the poll, we wouldn't list Street Fighter.

newzoo_most_watched_gamjgv.png

crash-14

Now I'm thinking it's totally a bad idea since videogames companies would take the event in their advantage and priorice a marketing point of view.

Instead of being a prize for the participants, it'll be for the companies...

Tanoooki

I think this is a good idea in theory but I don't think the Summer Olympics are the right venue. Too many news outlets and commentators will laugh about it or make a stink about it so it will be ridiculed so much it won't make a reappearance.

Perhaps, a World Cup or a "Cyber" Olympics that's held separately like they have a Winter or Summer Olympics. I do believe that top level gamers have skills beyond the normal person BUT at the same time I don't think it belongs at the Olympics just like I don't think chess, cards, MTG, or tabletop games belong at the Olympics either.

Zojirushi

I mean even if we were just sticking to the top ten most watched eSports for the poll, we wouldn't list Street Fighter.

Mainstream watchability has to play a role in this. MOBAs: Some dudes clicking like madmen while everything on screen is a total clusterfuck. Hard to imagine tbh.

1vs1 Street Fighter is just so in line with other olympic Martial Arts.

Now I'm thinking it's totally a bad idea since videogames companies would take the event in their advantage and priorice a marketing point of view.

Instead of being a prize for the participants, it'll be for the companies...

BINGO!

Exactly what I said in my post above. Video games as a software are properties of companies/people who made them. They are not a common good and should not be even considered as a regular Olympic discipline (especially before chess) because of this reason.

What I COULD see happen is a completely separate event (think Esports Olympics) that could have the blessing of the Olympic Committee but to make it completely and undeniably separate from the regular Olympics. Let's say we have Summer and Winter Olympics with Esports Olympics being their small and not nearly as relevant little "brother".

Trogdor1123

What is going on? I was pretty sure that people on this forum will be more open to this idea.
I can understand the debate over chess but e-sports are just as much of a physical activity as some of the olympic sports. Yes, it uses equipment, but so do many other disciplines.

Can anyone who is against it point out the main aspect of e-sports that makes him/her think it a bad idea?

Its not a sport... that's mine at least.

Tanoooki

As for what games should be shown...

-STRATEGY-
Dota 2
League of Legends
Starcraft 2

-SHOOTERS-
CSGO
Overwatch
Latest COD

-FIGHTERS-
Street Fighter 2
Latest Street Fighter

Marvel VS Capcom 2
Latest MvC

Super Smash Bros Melee
Latest Smash

Gator86

This might just make the Olympics fun to watch.

Agreed. Who wants to watch some of the most agile and powerful athletes of our lifetimes compete on an international stage when we could be watching people using shitty gamertags as names moving their thumbs slightly better than the average person to make digital characters move around a screen instead.

Durante

Are the poll choices inane on purpose?

If any game commonly regarded as an esport deserves to be recognized as a sport, it's Starcraft.

Agreed. Who wants to watch some of the most agile and powerful athletes of our lifetimes compete on an international stage when we could be watching people using shitty gamertags as names moving their thumbs slightly better than the average person to make digital characters move around a screen instead.

Watching Olympics is just boring to me. It's really that simple

I think you would want at least one fighting game in a major esports event like this and SFV would probably be the choice. While new games come out, assuming no major issues the event would stick with the SF franchise.

Counter-Strike has also been very stable, considering it has been a top competitive shooter since 2000-2001. Even though the versions changed and we are on another game in the series now. The core game remains the same. So CS:GO would be a safe choice.

It sucks 1v1 DM games are no longer popular, because that was always one of my favorite CPL events. Quake 3 being pretty much the gold standard.

I think an RTS like Starcraft would be great to be included, but it seems MOBAs are more popular these days. You would need at least one, probably Dota 2. Would be cool to also see SC included.

Rocket League would also be a fun one for something a little different.

Secondary to SFV would be Smash Bros
Secondary to CS:GO would be COD or Overwatch
Secondary to Dota 2 would be LOL

etc..

So ideally:

One team based competitive shooter (aka CS:GO)
One team based MOBA (aka Dota 2)
One team based sports game (aka Rocket League)
One individual fighting game (aka SFV)
One individual RTS game (aka SC2)
One individual DM shooter (aka Quake Champions)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's what's actually running the Asian Games: http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/19185921/esports-join-asian-games-medal-sport-2022

The 2022 Asian Games will take place that September in Hangzhou, China.

"The Olympic Council of Asia has constantly been committed to the heritage, development and improvement of Asian sports, and we are extremely pleased about the strategic partnership with Alisports," OCA president Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah said in a statement. "We look forward to further collaboration with Alisports in regards to digital sports concepts along with sporting events."

Competitions in FIFA 17 and multiplayer online battle arena games will take place at the September Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, though the OCA was not specific about which MOBA games will be played. Dota 2 and League of Legends, two of the most popular MOBAs, are likely candidates.

PSqueak

Banned
As usual:

1.-I don't want eSports on the olympics

2.- People saying "but muh sanctity of sports!" as usual are being ridiculous when shit like poker, chess, motor sports, shooting, archery, darts, pool are considered sports. These are all shit that takes around the same "athleticism" as videogames yet they don't get "disqualified" as sports, and Shooting and Archery are Olympic sports.

ironmang

I'm not really convinced there's a demand for esports in traditional sports spaces. The semantics and imaginary prestige of it are irrelevant, it just seems like esports found their niche in separate events on platforms better suited for their demographic.

Of course there's demand. Those "traditional sports spaces" want younger viewers and younger viewers care about esports.

TheJoRu

I wanted to post that the corporate aspect of inadvertently promoting a company's game through the Olympics is a bit iffy and problematic, but then I remembered how corporate it already is with all the sponsorships and the insane biddings going on to get the broadcasting rights.

In Sweden our commercial-free channel who had been broadcasting it every time for decades and decades have now lost the rights and are basically out of the game indefinitely just because the costs have become so ridiculously high and they can't compete with the big multimedia giants in the biddings.

Cess007

As usual:

1.-I don't want eSports on the olympics

2.- People saying "but muh sanctity of sports!" as usual are being ridiculous when shit like poker, chess, motor sports, shooting, archery, darts, pool are considered sports. These are all shit that takes around the same "athleticism" as videogames yet they don't get "disqualified" as sports, and Shooting and Archery are Olympic sports.

How Motorsports are not a sport?

Top Bottom