• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2024 Olympics US city candidate is...Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck.

I don't know one person in boston that wants this.

Love living and working here, but please no. Hopefully they pick someone else.

_woLf

I'd like to see the Winter Olympics in the states again, but we have so few contenders. I bet Seattle could make a nice bid.

Seattle's winters are way too mild for this to ever happen. When it does manage to get cold around here it's extremely dry and clear.

Boston is an amazing city. I don't want to see the Olympics there as they are a huge drain on the economy they do nothing for the people once the games are over and the people of Boston don't need to deal with ongoing stupid construction projects.

It's only a financial drain if facilities need to be built. Which why Los Angeles is a logical place to hold the Summer Olypics all the time. Facilities don't need to be built, the facilites we do have are self sustaining when the olympics aren't here so the don't just fall apart like the Birds Nest in China

Bread

Banned
Fuck yes! I would be beyond pumped if Boston gets the Olympics in my lifetime. Olympic basketball at the garden... be still my beating heart.

terrisus

Boston is an amazing city. I don't want to see the Olympics there as they are a huge drain on the economy they do nothing for the people once the games are over and the people of Boston don't need to deal with ongoing stupid construction projects.

We deal with stupid ongoing construction on a daily basis as is.

I should have been more clear... "More stupid ongoing construction"

Yeah, I was going to say -
Ongoing stupid construction projects are what we do here!

Although, now that it's finally complete, the results of the Big Dig are awesome.
Now about all the bridgework elsewhere in the state... >.>

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just imagine the opening ceremonies...

Iu3R3MI.jpg

TheFatOne

Nice. If I'm still in Massachusetts by then I will most definitely go.
Dropkick Murphys gonna get paid, son.

FML. Am I the only person in New England that does not like them?
Fuck yes! I would be beyond pumped if Boston gets the Olympics in my lifetime. Olympic basketball at the garden... be still my beating heart.

Didn't even think about this. Soo good.

Toki767

When they say, San Francisco, I'm guessing they mean the general Bay Area right? Because I don't know where half of the Olympic events would take place if it's strictly San Francisco.

Sanjuro

Nice. If I'm still in Massachusetts by then I will most definitely go.

Didn't even think about this. Soo good.

I don't mind them. Local gimmick band, nice enough guys.

That being said Tessie is worse than cancer.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sorry West Coast, but I'm rooting for either Boston or DC. I think those cities would be able to handle the influx of tourists much better.

Boston cannot. the MBTA would crash under the ridership. Its already hell on earth when the red sox play fenway

Not at all...

The data may be a bit old, but it sums up my wife and my experiences as visitors.

Sperling evaluated the nation's top metro areas according to the following criteria:

-- street layouts (grids, diagonals, windiness, one-way streets);
-- overall design and layout (how spread out the market is);
-- travel time index;
-- percent of congested freeway and street lane miles;
-- bodies of water (rivers, lakes, oceans, bridges);
-- complexity of directions needed to travel from major airports to
city center;
-- annual delay per person (person hours);
-- days of snow exceeding one-and-one-half inches; and
-- days of rain exceeding half an inch

Bert Sperling's Top 10 Most Difficult Cities to Navigate
1. Boston, MA
2. Washington, DC
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Baltimore, MD
5. New York, NY-Northeastern NJ
6. Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood-Pompano Beach, FL
7. Los Angeles, CA
8. Seattle-Everett, WA
9. Providence, Pawtucket RI-MA
10. Norfolk-Newport News-Virginia Beach, VA

legend166

I was 12 when they had the Olympics in Sydney in 2000, and it was basically the best thing ever.

- We got 3 weeks off school instead of the usual 2 we get around that time.
- The city really got into it. The only event I went to was a like a basketball play off for 8th place between Angola and New Zealand. The crowd really got into it and it was awesome.
- A cable channel decided they'd show a two week Simpsons marathon whilst the Olympics was running. Remember, this is in 2000. So at this point there's basically nothing but classic Simpsons to show.
- I remember the weather was really good.

Anyway, it was basically two weeks of watching sport + The Simpsons. And I was 12. It couldn't have been any better.

So go for it, Boston.

Will Boston have to build Facilities to accommodate the olympics to only have them go into terrible disrepair because no one uses them?

With 57 universities, theres plenty of use for aquatic, gymnastics, etc etc etc etc

Now they need to start putting into high gear mass transit expansions. Red-blue line, blue extension, grand junction, dums everywhere etc etc etc

terrisus

Dropkick Murphys gonna get paid, son.

The Olympics are shipping up to Boston >.>

I don't mind them. Local gimmick band, nice enough guys.

I'd say that's about how most people feel about them.

That being said Tessie is worse than cancer.

Having had cancer, I can confirm that this is indeed
false

cruets

Congrats to Boston. All the choices were good. Never been to Boston. Hope I'm in a position to travel there for the Olympics

terrisus

The data may be a bit old, but it sums up my wife and my experiences as visitors.

Sperling evaluated the nation's top metro areas according to the following criteria:

-- street layouts (grids, diagonals, windiness, one-way streets);
-- overall design and layout (how spread out the market is);
-- travel time index;
-- percent of congested freeway and street lane miles;
-- bodies of water (rivers, lakes, oceans, bridges);
-- complexity of directions needed to travel from major airports to
city center;
-- annual delay per person (person hours);
-- days of snow exceeding one-and-one-half inches; and
-- days of rain exceeding half an inch

So, basically, inherently biased against:
1) Locations by bodies of water
2) Locations in the north
3) Non-preplanned areas

Pretty silly criteria.

At least all you have is Tessie now,breh. Congrats.

This is true. If it keeps cancer away, bring on more Tessie! :þ

shira

boston? lol im sure all the bostonians would love that

What the millions of dollars in the city budget used to wooo votes from IOC members from 3rd world countries with scholarships, hookers, and real estate?

Or the billion dollars in infrastructure required for advertising, building new one-time use stadiums, and police overtime required to secure the area.

Best quote:

“Is it technically feasible? Of course it is,” said D’Alessandro, who has attended eight Olympics. “If Atlanta can do it, Boston can do it, please. Atlanta is a second-rate city at best. And they pulled it off in 1996.”

Suck it Atlanta

Boston’s compact Olympic bid leans heavily on existing venues, such as TD Garden, and college facilities, such as Harvard Stadium, Boston College’s Conte Forum and Boston University’s Agganis Arena.

Current plans call for a removable Olympic stadium at Widett Circle, along Interstate 93 near Frontage Road south of downtown, for opening and closing ceremonies and track and field events. An Olympic village to house the athletes is planned for the former Bayside Expo grounds, with units converted to workforce housing or student dorms for UMass-Boston.

Local Olympic organizers say Boston 2024’s Olympic operating budget, about $4.5 billion, would be financed mainly through broadcast fees, corporate sponsorships and ticket sales. They have pledged no public money will be used, beyond what is already planned to be spent for infrastructure improvements.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...me-thursday/6RHRYSTRGgsIlPImafWgRM/story.html

Blader

With 57 universities, theres plenty of use for aquatic, gymnastics, etc etc etc etc

Now they need to start putting into high gear mass transit expansions. Red-blue line, blue extension, grand junction, dums everywhere etc etc etc

Fuck the red line! It's fine as is. Now's the time to rip the Green Line out, toss it into the ocean, and start fresh.

What the millions of dollars in the city budget used to wooo votes from IOC members from 3rd world countries with scholarships, hookers, and real estate?

Or the billion dollars in infrastructure required for advertising, building new one-time use stadiums, and police overtime required to secure the area.

why would they need to build a one time use stadium?

CP_Gillette_650x350_litho.gif

fenway_580x326.jpg

Gallbaro

Banned
3) Non-preplanned areas

Pretty silly criteria.

This is true. If it keeps cancer away, bring on more Tessie! :þ

NYC is heavily preplanned.

But it is a windshield perspective. Not an actual mobility perspective.

Hopefully the US wins the bid, and I say this not as an American, but as a fan of the Olympics.

They desperately need US TV deals for IOC funding, and it will dry up quick if the US ratings keep dropping.

Fuck the red line! It's fine as is. Now's the time to rip the Green Line out, toss it into the ocean, and start fresh.

No, theres been a much needed proposal to extend the blue line to Charles-MGH to create a transfer point. They even built the new charles station with that connection in mind.

It would take off huge amounts of people from the green line going from Government center to park street.

Also, red line needs to extend past alewife another couple of miles. Its a park and ride but the parking is full and a PITA to get to

3) Non-preplanned areas

You make it sound like bodies of water, inclement winter weather, and haphazard planning don't impact one's ability to navigate. Obviously you can throw out the cold weather stuff since it will be summer.

shira

why would they need to build a one time use stadium?

Where would Opening/Closing Ceremonies/Track and Field be? Gillette?
Does Boston have an indoor cycling and world class pool stadium?

Most cities don't have those kind of niche buildings.

Gallbaro

Banned
You make it sound like bodies of water, inclement winter weather, and haphazard planning don't impact one's ability to navigate. Obviously you can throw out the cold weather stuff since it will be summer.

The average person in NYC is far more mobile, and at a lower fixed and variable cost, than anyone else in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom