• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2024 Olympics US city candidate is...Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 57 universities, theres plenty of use for aquatic, gymnastics, etc etc etc etc

Now they need to start putting into high gear mass transit expansions. Red-blue line, blue extension, grand junction, dums everywhere etc etc etc

That's way too many universities for a city with only 645,000 people.

Mesoian

We'd have more if students stayed upon graduation.

But they don't.
As a Boston resident, my thoughts:

Cr5OKDj.gif

Really, though, I get that it's still an extreme longshot, so I'll have my fingers permanently crossed for the next year or three. Plus I'll probably be dead by then anyway.

We'll have sunk into the sea by then.

Well theyre not all in the city, nor are the Olympics limited to Boston borders. All the olympic bids are for the greater metro area.

Cambridge, population 105,162 has:

Cambridge College
Cambridge School of Culinary Arts
Episcopal Divinity School
Harvard University
Hult International Business School
Lesley University
Longy School of Music
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Boston
Radcliffe College (now merged with Harvard College)

At least 129 of the world's total 780 Nobel Prize winners have been, at some point in their careers, affiliated with universities in Cambridge.

The American Academy of Arts and Sciences is also based in Cambridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge,_Massachusetts#Higher_education

MIT and Harvard alone obviously use large athletic facilities, and Lesley is growing a lot.

Fuchsdh

Expanded WMATA would be nice, particularly rail. Reliable escalators. Fixed roads in DC/MD/VA.

While you can argue that the need for such improvements would be a rapid redevelopment in those areas... it's not worth the billions we'd shell out for the Olympics and their BS demands. There is no modern Olympics that has been fiscally worth it, and a place like DC doesn't need the perceived tourism boost.

Good luck to the people in the suburbs of Boston, or whatever satellite cities they dump most of the venues in.

Blader

I hope I'm not living here in 2024*, but hopefully this is an excuse to improve some infrastructure, even if they're not currently planning on it. Imagine coming to the Olympics and getting on the Green Line. Fuck's sake.

*Boston is a good city but that onion article is almost perfect. It feels like a starter city for young professionals

I don't mind living here long-term; I always figured I'd move on to NY or LA or something shortly after graduating but I quite like life here. However, I will be sorely depressed if I'm still living on the B line in nine years. -_-

fake edit: lol, wow, that article is salty as fuck about something.

subrock

The current proposal doesn't include much building. A temporary stadium in south Boston for the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field, and the Olympic village near UMass Boston that would become student housing after. Seems like just about everything else would take place in existing facilities.
How.... Refreshing!

I actually would be cool with a Boston pick. Close enough that I could theoretically drive up there if I wanted to watch the Olympics, but far enough away that I don't have to deal with all the people driving in to town...like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom