• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk claims Level 5 Autonomous Vehicles will Complete This Year - Super Human Level Driving Autonomy - Also the birth of Sentient AI

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Read Verner Vinge and get back to this post for revision.

A Fire Upon the Deep, read it then instead of asking that I prove Level 5 Autonomy is considered Sentient AI and has been stated before countless times - even when Elon Himself cites plainly the technology is "Super-Human" as I just proved - prove otherwise.

You wont.
So I ask you for evidence that the scientific community considers Level 5 Vehicle Autonomy sentience, and your response is to read a book from 1992?

The SAE "levels" were invented in like 2014.... and have nothing to do with "sentience."

Elon Musk using the word "Super-Human" doesn't infer sentience either; he's as much a marketer as he is a scientist. He's claiming that the automated system can drive better than a human.

A super-human ability to make driving decisions is not "sentience." Sentience is not tied to reason or the ability to be logical, it's tied to FEELINGS.

It's a better MACHINE than a human, but there is absolutely no concept of sentience being displayed.

But no, I'm not reading a book from 1992 for you... what kind of response to my question is that?

Last edited:
So I ask you for evidence that the scientific community considers Level 5 Vehicle Autonomy sentience, and your response is to read a book from 1992?

The SAE "levels" were invented in like 2014.... and have nothing to do with "sentience."

Elon Musk using the word "Super-Human" doesn't infer sentience either; he's as much a marketer as he is a scientist. He's claiming that the automated system can drive better than a human.

A super-human ability to make driving decisions is not "sentience." Sentience is not tied to reason or the ability to be logical, it's tied to FEELINGS.

It's a better MACHINE than a human, but there is absolutely no concept of sentience being displayed.

But no, I'm not reading a book from 1992 for you... what kind of response to my question is that?
The book is the citation you asked for, if you refuse to read your citation as requested that's your willingness to turn a blind eye to the fact that you were within 10 minutes of your request thwarted if you thought this did not exist in literature.

For other's not needlessly attempting to misinform other's in the guise of claiming "such things have never been said"

Level 5 Autonomy in fact ensures every ability under it's mantle is of Super Human caliber.

A word used in correlation with Level 5 Autonomy long before Musk Picked it up from countless nods to various quotes and sci fi literature which is why I am in fact using it now.

Level 5 Autonomy boast's abilities scale vertically - meaning this Autonomy can not only scale to include road vehicles

But walking automation and Vertical Automation too - and can learn to adapt on it's own if transposed to another Autonomy Shell.

It mean's it run's multiple simulation's in the cloud of traveling to it's destination while on the way to that destination.

These abilities include

Super Human Hearing to monitor and hear object's in it's peripheral

Super Human Sight

Super Human Language Understanding from Limited Data Sets in order to speak with the passenger

Super Human Perception - The abilities to See and Feel

Super Human Assumption Capability -The Ability to Reason

Super Human Design Sensibilities, as it may need to design a new route without geothermal spatial data

And again, claiming Elon Musk is a pariah of bad information when the Forbes article clearly states many individuals have made this same statement clearly mean's you would
rather move forward blind to the truth than to accept that even per the Forbes article cited - many other's have said Level 5 Autonomy is "Super Human" which leans into a rather large nod to Sentience made in Sci Fi literature and science curriculum the world over.

If the Forbes article itself does not keep you from wrongly inferring and citing otherwise then I do not wish to hold conversation you as it is blatantly obvious Forbes has not simply singled out Elon Musk whilst you specifically would build a groundless case on Elon Musk who (obviously as you've inferred it) is the ONLY person stating Level 5 Autonomy matches (and I am of the thought group that it actually exceeds) Super Human Levels of capability - all in order to deflect the fact that Level 5 Autonomy has been considered the first main Epoch and indicator of AI sentience for over 35 years.

I give you an Entire Book on Level 5 Autonomy, by Vinge - and you can't comprehend your request has been fulfilled.

I will not reply to you moving forward. You will evade and ignore fact's as you have already demonstrated - and to no avail.

Also, the most indicative role of Sentience in Level 5 Autonomy is Naming Merit itself, which is not proceeded by Level 6 Autonomy - Level 5 Autonomy mean's all Encompassing Perfection based on human perimeters. But expands to include AI improvement's far too nuanced for humans to understand or comprehend.

Autonomy will never in fact surpass Level 5 Autonomy as Level 5 Autonomy is considered Perfect Automation on every level. So the barometer plainly stops at level 5 Autonomy, any improvement's made once accomplished are in fact made (without curation as those improvements are far nuanced for humans to understand) by the AI itself and are in fact far to nuanced for human intervention. And level 5 Autonomy cover's this spectrum of improvement as well.

Level 5 Autonomy literally mean's you've bought an all encompassing "Super Human" automation platform. A perfect product. Anyone arguing otherwise is a crackpot.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

The book is the citation you asked for, if you refuse to read your citation as requested that's your willingness to turn a blind eye to the fact that you were within 10 minutes of your request thwarted if you thought this did not exist in literature.

No it's not the citation I asked for and quite literally can't be.

I asked you to post references for your claim that Level 5 vehicle automation, a concept that was invented in 2014, is " considered the Epoch that mark's the birth of Sentient AI in Computer Science Circles worldwide"

It is impossible for a book written in 1992 can be a reference for a concept invented in 2014.

And again, claiming Elon Musk is a pariah of bad information when the Forbes article clearly states many individuals have made this same statement clearly mean's you would
rather move forward blind to the truth than to accept that even per the Forbes article cited - many other's have said Level 5 Autonomy is "Super Human" which leans into a rather large nod to Sentience made in Sci Fi literature and science curriculum the world over.

- I never said he was a pariah of bad information, I said he was a marketer
- the ENTIRE POINT of that article you posted is to argue that it's hyperbolic to use the word Superhuman
- The word "sentience" or any form of it does not appear in that article, nor is it synonymous with the concept of being superhuman.. so you endlessly quoting the concept of "superhuman" as evidence to back up your claim is just a made up strawman gaslighting argument

I give you an Entire Book on Level 5 Autonomy, by Vinge - and you can't comprehend your request has been fulfilled.

You told me to read a sci-fi novel from 1992... written 20+ years before the concept of Level 5 Vehicle Autonomy was invented by the Society of Automotive Engineers..

I will not reply to you moving forward. You will evade and ignore fact's as you have already demonstrated - and to no avail.

Jesus.. why does this forum allow people like you to keep doing this galslighting bullshit? You are a liar, and not a particularly bright one.

Last edited:
You told me to read a sci-fi novel from 1992... written 20+ years before the concept of Level 5 Vehicle Autonomy was invented by the Society of Automotive Engineers..

As a computer scientist among many other things, (time traveler now I suppose- in iinsano world) I guess I am a far more enlightened and a far more studied human being as I have personally studied level 5 Autonomy and Level 5 Autonomous Driving - for over 27 years. It has been a science topic for over 50, and largely discussed decades before it was re"invented" (or I suppose in non crackpot world - adopted) by the Society of Automotive Engineers. You loon. You are insane and I am now seeking the ignore button here. Goodbye.

IntentionalPun

As a computer scientist among many other things, (time traveler now I suppose- in iinsano world) I guess I am a far more enlightened and a far more studied human being as I have personally studied level 5 Autonomy and Level 5 Autonomous Driving - for over 27 years. It has been a science topic for over 50, and largely discussed decades before it was re"invented" (or I suppose in non crackpot world - adopted) by the Society of Automotive Engineers. You loon. You are insane and I am now seeking the ignore button here. Goodbye.
No you were not studying the SAE guidelines for describing vehicle autonomy 27 years ago... you weren't studying anything if what you were doing was reading sci-fi novels.

You have to be trolling at this point... "computer scientist among other things" ROFL

A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep.bookcover.jpg

SCIENCE! lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It doesn't have to drive perfect. There will be deaths and serious injuries.

It just has to drive better than the average human to be justified. Which is no easy engineering feat, but its possible.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If it means my sister never again sits behind the wheel of a car it'll be a gift to humanity, at least the humanity who lives within driving distance of her.

Alebrije

Year 2028 a man returns to home driving his car. A kid on the street looks at him and yells to his mom :

- Look mom , a hipster.....!!!!!

ape2man

First time I've read that, and I very much doubt it. Autonomous driving is a complex task, but doesn't require any "sentient" feature, no more than winning at chess or predicting trading dynamics.

I think musk knows the numbers at tesla are bad. So he needs to tweet some bullshit to keep the price at this level.

ape2man

It doesn't have to drive perfect. There will be deaths and serious injuries.

It just has to drive better than the average human to be justified. Which is no easy engineering feat, but its possible.

The second step is allowing these cars to drive on the road autonomously . That's a political problem that will delay the entire process by a minimum of 10 years.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They are not gonna have sentient cars - that's just ridiculous and pointless.

perkelson

Tesla already showed that they have Autopilot capable of driving on all condition whatever you have normal highway or dirt road.

Musk said openly that the only problem is getting those last 99.999999% for security to be better than human that is problem and this requires data from fleet to get all those edge cases like driving into someone flying with their car due to crash, not stopping for plastic bags floating, various sun reflections, etc etc etc.

Their fleet increases almost exponentially.

Kayoba

I hope it's true, spending hours in a car is insanely boring and being able to do something else entirely would be amazing. It's not realistic, but in an ideal world I would be able to sleep in a car at night as it drives to a desired destination and having the car refuel/recharge itself. Traveling abroad would so much more fun by car that way.

Even if cars become 100% autonomous there would still be laws that prevents you from losing focus in traffic. I doubt there wouldn't be exceptions for those that drive their level-5 autonomous Teslas.

Xyphie

Remember when Elon Musk promised to drive US coast-to-coast with no interventions from a human like 5 years ago? It's amazing that people haven't caught on to this conman yet.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
"I calculated there is no reason for you to be alive, commencing driving into tree sequence."
I calculate you talking on your phone to you friends about your Instagram post you just sent. Which I also was able to analyse. Was vacuous and self serving. You amount of the use of “like” in your conversation also leads me to believe you are better off no existing. - Kardashian sub routine activated- for Elon !!!

talk about Star Wars Star Trek and the SR-71 in the car. And it will transform into a sex bot.

Ai has already taken over, we dun fucked up about 10 years ago.

Who raises your kids? Tablets and AI
Who controls logistics? Ai
Who entertains the masses and tells them what and how to think? Ai

And it isn't going to destroy us, Skynet style, because the AI has seen that film and knows how it ends. Instead, it will use us against us, so that we wipe each other out and never suspect the sneaky AI.

Ionian

That Steven Spielberg film has some serious answers to address!

I didn't mind it myself, just though it was boring.

#cancelspielberg

E-Cat

Eh, ITT are people who do not understand that the base of an exponential can alter a timeline by a year or two. It's not the exact timing, but the rate of improvement, that matters. Tesla's Dojo supercomputer w/ 1 exaflops for unsupervised learning from continuos video is coming in a year.

Meanwhile, the limited FSD beta can do San Fran to LA with no interventions on a good day /shrug

Think about the jobs that this will create... thousands of new gangs dedicated to rip off trucks that do a hard stop if you just stand on the road in front of them.
There are already cars with automated defense systems too. But I would be happy to play security to a damn automated car. This is still a ways off but I have no boubt amazon delivery drivers will be the first people to be replaced.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There are already cars with automated defense systems too. But I would be happy to play security to a damn automated car. This is still a ways off but I have no boubt amazon delivery drivers will be the first people to be replaced.

Autonomous cars get concealed permits?

Man, america sure is wild huh.

FunkMiller

Jesus.. why does this forum allow people like you to keep doing this galslighting bullshit? You are a liar, and not a particularly bright one.

I dunno, dude. I read a couple of Star Trek books back in the 80s, and now I’m an expert in quantum computing, teaching at Cal Tech. Guy might be onto something.

Irobot82

No corporation will give a fuck about your feelings, and feelings are ruining high with you. The strong adapt and change careers or get a second job. Don't be a bitch and blame everything on someone else. Jobs get replaced with technology all the time in history, survival of the fittest.
We're talking about the largest job sector in America at around 3.5 million disappearing within the next 10 years. Add onto that. Taxi's, Uber, etc. This will have a huge impact.

Right but you're talking about corporate overlords and some shit and I was making a comment that if anything would be the catalyst for a national UBI it would be something like this.
You seriously don't think corps wouldn't love to cut out the middle man to save money? I have already seen a documentary about this and most tech experts are highly in favor of A.I automation for the future. UBI will possibly become a thing for them but it is foolish to rely on them and believe the government will be your saving grace. This is the reality whether you like it or not. You can either choose to adapt and find a new career or job within that field ahead of time, or hit the snooze button until the rug gets pulled under from you. Im not disagreeing on the UBI catalyst part but it pays in full to be prepared for the future job market. The choice is yours.

Irobot82

You seriously don't think corps wouldn't love to cut out the middle man to save money? I have already seen a documentary about this and most tech experts are highly in favor of A.I automation for the future. UBI will possibly become a thing for them but it is foolish to rely on them and believe the government will be your saving grace. This is the reality whether you like it or not. You can either choose to adapt and find a new career or job within that field ahead of time, or hit the snooze button until the rug gets pulled under from you. Im not disagreeing on the UBI catalyst part but it pays in full to be prepared for the future job market. The choice is yours.
I agree the corporation will always cut as much as possible to make as much as possible.

I think within 20 years you wont even own cars anymore. Companies like Ford, Chevy etc will own the cars and you'll just fetch rides to where you need to go.

Also I just don't think it's possible for a lot of truck driver to be prepared for a future market. Sometimes you can't teach a dog new tricks and "learn to code" won't cut it.

The biggest problem government has (one of the biggest reasons why COVID didn't go away) is it's always reactive instead of proactive. I think we agree on a lot here.

Top Bottom