• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford to mass-produce a completely self-driving car within five years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Unless the computer malfunctions due to age and wear, which is a nontrivial concern.

Or it doesn't understand its driving into an accident, like that tesla driver who had his top half sheared off by a semi.

Or maybe the simple fact that nobody tests these things in a chicago blizzard, where snow sticking and freezing to the car could obscure sensors while said sensors have trouble even telling where the road is due to all the snow.

Im optimistic about this technology, but true 100% autonomous 100% safe cars are a pipe dream.

Ah well the Tesla car was level 2, which basically means "you should never not watch the road" - which is part of the problem, because people stop watching the road after like 5 minutes.

Additionally, self driving cars as of last winter have started to be tested in wintery conditions - conditions which they will stress test significantly.

In the end, the amount of 'human error' we deal with on a daily basis is sooo vast, maybe machines will also have errors - but the number will be significantly smaller.

Foffy

Banned
In similar news, Otto plans on accelerating the introduction of driverless trucks. The future is exciting, but as we're human beings, we'll of course find a way to make this disruptive and chaotic.

I could see a lot of change coming in the next 5-10 years. Technology jumps a bit faster than we typically assume, and well..we're talking huge jumps in overall capabilities happening in the near future. Driverless vehicles are coming, and they will be here before you're senior citizens.

Within the next five years, I will buy a self-driving car. If Ford is the only company that produces a good, reliable model, then I guess I'll buy a Ford.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Model 3 is out in 2017/2018, it is not fully autonomous. Ford is going for SAE levels 4 and 5, and Tesla's autopilot is just level 2, I believe.

Tesla markets autopilot as level 2 largely to avoid liability, but the driving reports of those using it suggest it is level 3-4.

t-ramp

Tesla markets autopilot as level 2 largely to avoid liability, but the driving reports of those using it suggest it is level 3-4.
I watched a video today (The Smoking Tire on YouTube) of the P90D 2.0, and autopilot doesn't work well at all on curvy roads, even at low speeds. It was not even remotely impressive.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Please link a report that suggests it is level 4.

Driver reports suggest that they feel comfortable getting in and not paying attention while the car drives itself. If you google "Tesla autopilot impressions" that's what you see. I have no idea if that meets SAE requirements. And pretty consistently there's an impression that the car could do more if they allowed it to (a suspicious supported by the fact that it has been software updates that enabled autopilot to begin with)

I watched a video today (The Smoking Tire on YouTube) of the P90D 2.0, and autopilot doesn't work well at all on curvy roads, even at low speeds. It was not even remotely impressive.

Yeah watching the video now and it seems like a pretty poor performance. Haven't heard that before.

numble

Driver reports suggest that they feel comfortable getting in and not paying attention while the car drives itself. If you google "Tesla autopilot impressions" that's what you see. I have no idea if that meets SAE requirements. And pretty consistently there's an impression that the car could do more if they allowed it to (a suspicious supported by the fact that it has been software updates that enabled autopilot to begin with)

I mean, it can't even make turns by itself and you need to instruct it to change lanes. It is adaptive cruise control with things like lane assist. It can go forward and stop if a car is in front, but not if it is a red light. It couldn't distinguish the white side of a truck trailer from the sky. It is not anywhere near level 4.

Read what Ford said its aiming for--to provide cars for taxi services, so you just get in as a passenger and tell the car the destination you want to go to. That is not something you can do even as a driver in a Tesla today.

This is going to be incredibly disruptive to so many industries. A lot of money is going to be made and lost over the next 15 years.

My kids will likely never have to drive unless they want to. I plan on teaching them and encouraging them to get licensed, but I will let them know it's preferable to not drive unless it's an emergency. How incredibly lucky are we that we won't have to go through what our parents, grandparents, and great grandparents did worrying about our kids out on the road on their own?

Car insurance companies also won't be able to charge me the teenage driver premium. That's more money in my pocket on top of the safety benefits, the definition of a win-win.

Foffy

Banned
This is going to be incredibly disruptive to so many industries. A lot of money is going to be made and lost over the next 15 years.

My kids will likely never have to drive unless they want to. I plan on teaching them and encouraging them to get licensed, but I will let them know it's preferable to not drive unless it's an emergency. How incredibly lucky are we that we won't have to go through what our parents, grandparents, and great grandparents did worrying about our kids out on the road on their own?

Car insurance companies also won't be able to charge me the teenage driver premium. That's more money in my pocket on top of the safety benefits, the definition of a win-win.

You can be more specific and just cite the fact this - driverless vehicles - is disruptive to the most employed job in America.

Now, how will America make this transition, which is good, into a chaotic, violent affair? That's the question people really should be asking.

Fox318

As somebody who likes to drive I'm fearful for a future where I can't control my car manually but I'm also excited for the prospect of potentially eliminating DUIs and most people are shit drivers anyway.

Gonna be interesting to see how states and cites deal with the loss of revenue.

Lot of small towns and big cities that expect ticket quotas that could be eliminated with the elimination of the human driver.

Tripolygon

Banned

Yeah watching the video now and it seems like a pretty poor performance. Haven't heard that before.
Drivers don't know what they are talking about. The bold is false, it is performing exactly how it is intended to. People are just not listening after several warnings telling them it is meant for only highways with clear markings, no S curves/sharp turns, no intersections, not city streets or dirt roads. Tesla Autopilot is the most advanced level 2 driver assist feature currently in a consumer vehicle, it is not level 3 yet.

Doodis

The Model 3 is out in 2017/2018, it is not fully autonomous. Ford is going for SAE levels 4 and 5, and Tesla's autopilot is just level 2, I believe.

We don't know what autonomy level Model 3 will be due to the fact that, as noted, it's not out for another year and a half. That said, most people are speculating that it will be level 4 capable (as in, hardware installed) with software to follow after it's up to snuff. Time will tell.

Full disclosure: I reserved a Model 3.

I mean, the 2017 Mercedes E-class features basically a better version of the Tesla Autopilot.

Not everyone agrees:

Drive Pilot: I don’t understand how Mercedes-Benz could release this to the public. I hated literally everything about it.

Autopilot: I loved it. A few hours in and one begins to learn a dance between looking out the window, looking at the display and using the stalk to manage speed.

Source

I cant wait for these self driving cars. I can play video games or watch movies instead of driving for hours and hours on these longer trips

With a tablet, vending machine, and autonomous car, I won't ever need to remember to actually be a parent!

Heh, seriously though, I can't wait for the day we remove drivers from the roads. As a society, I fully believe we should be doing everything we can to make human labor less necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom