• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fully Autonomous (Level 4) Vehicles on Roads 2020, say multiple industry reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hell to the fucking yes. Can't wait for mainstream fully autonomous vehicles penetration. The less idiots driving on the road aka most humans, the better.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Very curious what on-demand auto driving services would cost. Like says I want to take one of those for my commute everyday to work (25 miles, about 45 minutes in Dallas traffic)

Right now I pay about $300 for the car payment, $60 - $80 in gas a month, $50 for full coverage insurance and about $300 a year in maintaince.

So this service would have to come in under $500 a month for me to feel it was worth it to get rid of my car.

Neo C.

I'm curious that so many car companies are jumping in - won't it eventually lead to a massive reduction in the number of car sales? if we aren't all buying a car each, but simply buying access to cars, then you don't need as many on the road.

There could always be the boomerang effect in work. Easier and cheaper access could also mean more consumption, which could lead to more cars on the road.

Pagusas

Elden Member
you better hope the laws don't change to take you, the very dangerous human prone to error, off the road.

That will be like trying to legislate guns in the us, cars are just as important culturally to us (city folk don't count)

We obviously don't care how many people it will kill (see alcohol, guns, cigarettes, corn syrup). Lives don't matter.

The insurance industry though will see this as a gold mine oppertunity. Not using a robo car? That will be an extra $300 a month for "human error" insurance

Polari

Four years to replace tens of millions of transportation jobs that are about to disappear. This should be a major concern for the global economy. No one is going to do a thing about it though. Planning ahead isn't humanity's strong suit.

It's not like a switch is going to be flicked in four years.

Anyway, I still think 2020 is optimistic. There are a ton of policy issues etc. to be addressed, never mind the technology itself.

Alexlf

you better hope the laws don't change to take you, the very dangerous human prone to error, off the road.

They very likely won't make it illegal, at worst they might make "robo-car only" roads. The insurance costs however will be ridiculous.

EDIT: They might ban it one day, once human drivers become the major source of car accidents, but that won't be for at least another 20-30 years

DOWN

Banned
Love these people here posting about how they'll stick to driving themselves and think robo cars will be the pain on the road when it's actually the stubborn inconsistent human drivers that are a pain

Mupod

definitely interested in seeing how they deal with winter conditions. Black ice, cornering in bad slush/snow, covered lanes etc.

I don't think it's impossible at all for a computer to deal with it, it's not that hard. I actually believe the biggest problem with winter driving is just that people don't adapt and keep driving the same way they normally do, it's why there's so many accidents on the first snow. In some cases they drive even more recklessly because they get impatient about how reasonable, sane human beings are not going 120 in a blizzard and start passing.

Tobor

There's going to be some societal push back, that's inevitable. One bad accident and things will get interesting.

I do see this as inevitable, it's not like Google Glass, but there will be some serious growing pains.

Like the Ford guy said, autonomous taxis and Ubers and what have you will be first. Then the debate begins.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Also we are gonna lose a ton of jobs but also no more traffic jams or accidents

Humanity is probably gonna botch this transition

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Do you guys think that autonomous vehicles will lead to an increase in suburban house values? Here in Toronto, people take streetcar + subway to work which can vary between 30-45 minutes (some shorter, some much longer). But if one could just sit in a car, relax with a laptop or read a book, etc., for 45 minutes instead, wouldn't that make a suburban commute that much more desirable?

Dishwalla

Banned
I feel like they should compromise, at least for the time being. Build autonomous cars capable of driving themselves, but leave the option for people to manually operate them. This would also help with the weather and crappy road issues, you could set the car on autopilot in clear conditions on nice smooth roads, and you can take over controls in bad conditions or on janky roads.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Do you guys think that autonomous vehicles will lead to an increase in suburban house values? Here in Toronto, people take streetcar + subway to work which can vary between 30-45 minutes (some shorter, some much longer). But if one could just sit in a car, relax with a laptop or read a book, etc., for 45 minutes instead, wouldn't that make a suburban commute that much more desirable?

Yeah I -absolutely- think that people will be more willing to spread out when autonomous cars are a thing. Not a -loot- mind you, not until mobile-mini homes are a thing, but absolutely. It's not just that it will be easier getting to the services and experiences that are difficult to find outside of a city core - but it will probably be that these services and experiences will increasingly be mobile and automated, spreading their reach. That P&L burger you love will drive to you.
For $22.47

I love driving but would definitely like an automated car for longer trips (so I can just take a nap or something)

Sad to see how much shit-posting this topic brings about though.

Jisgsaw

No way in hell for the city.
Very likely for the highway though. States will have to cooperate and assure the infrastructure is on the required level.

Tobor

jobs will be the big cause of social pushback, i feel. long haul lorry drivers and things like that. that's a big chunk of the workforce gone.

Yeah, it's a big problem in a service economy when a large number of service jobs disappear.

It's a conversation we need to have now before the tech gets here.

Neo C.

Longer commute is definitely going to happen, especially when L4 is way better in full efficiency than human driving.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, it's a big problem in a service economy when a large number of service jobs disappear.

It's a conversation we need to have now before the tech gets here.

Ironically it's the cost savings that has pushed this along so quickly though I think.

Usually there's a lobby standing in the way of big changes like this, but everyone from car manufacturers to big business stands to gain from this arriving sooner rather than later.

*In sunny conditions in states without lots of rain or any snow, and also clear road markings.

Autonomous driving is not coming to the northern states in winter, or Canada, any time soon. Often enough a 2-lane road turns into 1-lane for the winter once snow falls due to snow piles along the side, and then you have ruts in the snow/ice which stay all winter.

That's what Global Warming is for.

Tobor

Ironically it's the cost savings that has pushed this along so quickly though I think.

Usually there's a lobby standing in the way of big changes like this, but everyone from car manufacturers to big business stands to gain from this arriving sooner rather than later.

Yeah, that's why I think this is definitely going to happen.

If we can figure out how to employ everyone there are no losers with this tech. As it is the people who stand to lose won't have enough pull to stop the train(awful pun intended).

I'll still drive myself.

Unless it becomes illegal. Which it has to at some point if we want to take full advantage of all the features of autonomous driving.

I can't wait for speed limits to increase and going at 100+ mph at intersections with only inches of clearance, which would be impossible if your slow ass brain is trying to control a vehicle manually on the road.

I can't wait for traffic lights to be a thing of the past, since every car can be fully connected and aware of all the other cars, making them unnecessary. You will see a dramatic improvement in traffic and commute times, but by all means lets forgo that so you can have "fun".

I'm thinking we'll see a major boost to track days, where you'll be able to drive your primitive cars in closed courses to your hearts content.

Hell to the fucking yes. Can't wait for mainstream fully autonomous vehicles penetration. The less idiots driving on the road aka most humans, the better.

I'm most excited about the overall safety benefit since it will hopefully reduce the number of accident-related deaths, injuries, as well as improve commuting congestion. Possibly mean less time on the road per car, less stress to the driver and numerous other environmental or personal health benefits.

Sky Chief

They very likely won't make it illegal, at worst they might make "robo-car only" roads. The insurance costs however will be ridiculous.

EDIT: They might ban it one day, once human drivers become the major source of car accidents, but that won't be for at least another 20-30 years

Human drivers have always been the major source of car accidents

What about the reliability issues? Are car company going to get sued in case of accidents?

SSShhhhhhhh, dont ask questions, just ride the hype train

I can't wait for speed limits to increase and going at 100+ mph at intersections with only inches of clearance, which would be impossible if your slow ass brain is trying to control a vehicle manually on the road.

Thats great until something goes wrong and slams you into a wall or other car.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I can't wait until we get all the shitty human drivers off the road. This will save so many lives and so much money.

more people alive means less job availability, and all those truck drivers losing their jobs to machines. my god, you are asking for the apocalypse! can't you see!!!

Stanng243

Unless it becomes illegal. Which it has to at some point if we want to take full advantage of all the features of autonomous driving.

I can't wait for traffic lights to be a thing of the past, since every car can be fully connected and aware of all the other cars, making them unnecessary. You will see a dramatic improvement in traffic and commute times, but by all means lets forgo that so you can have "fun".

I'm thinking we'll see a major boost to track days, where you'll be able to drive your primitive cars in closed courses to your hearts content.

Maybe on the highways, but speeds wouldn't increase much in the cities. You still need to factor in pedestrians and bicyclists. Unless you plan on outlawing bicyclists also. And what happens to all the existing classic cars? They suddenly become lawn ornaments?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What about the reliability issues? Are car company going to get sued in case of accidents?

Some manufacturers have said that they'll take on liability issues. Like Volvo:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-...about-liability-for-selfdriving-car-accidents

Volvo president Håkan Samuelsson caused a stir earlier this week when he said that Volvo would accept full liability whenever its cars are in autonomous mode. Samuelsson went further, urging lawmakers to solve what he called “controversial outstanding issues” over legal liability in the event that a self-driving car is involved in a crash.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm most excited about the overall safety benefit since it will hopefully reduce the number of accident-related deaths, injuries, as well as improve commuting congestion. Possibly mean less time on the road per car, less stress to the driver and numerous other environmental or personal health benefits.

I think statistically that will be proven out very quickly. I can see manual driving becoming as socially irresponsible as drunk driving in the years to come.

I expect insurance companies to be major proponents of autonomous vehicles as it should greatly reduce the number of claims they'll be liable to payout. And with the added onboard sensory equipment, it'll pretty much guarantee who will be at fault so the human occupant will be 100% liable if they happened to "turn off" the automation, etc. Basically, it'll be much harder to fraud the insurance company when your car is outfitted with enough technology that it can drive itself.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I expect insurance companies to be major proponents of autonomous vehicles as it should greatly reduce the number of claims they'll be liable to payout. And with the added onboard sensory equipment, it'll pretty much guarantee who will be at fault so the human occupant will be 100% liable if they happened to "turn off" the automation, etc. Basically, it'll be much harder to fraud the insurance company when your car is outfitted with enough technology that it can drive itself.

i think insurance companies may not even bother selling individual insurance anymore, and will need to broker deals with manufacturers and transportation companies.

I think statistically that will be proven out very quickly. I can see manual driving becoming as socially irresponsible as drunk driving in the years to come.

This is really my hope. While I can understand the concerns of not being in control, I think the benefits far outweigh them. Hell, I'll take the "less stress" of not worrying about shitty mile-long accidents and sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Will do wonders for a large portion of American's heart condition.

Dreez

Musk Twitter: In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY

But how's the car gonna charge itself Elon?

i think insurance companies may not even bother selling individual insurance anymore, and will need to broker deals with manufacturers and transportation companies.

I imagine if there's still a "manual" driver mode, then we'll still need some amount of personal liability insurance. But I completely agree that we could be seeing an "insurance fee" of sorts built into the cost of the car. I'm curious how manufacturers will address those costs. One time fee at purchase? Or a yearly subscription?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom