• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk claims Level 5 Autonomous Vehicles will Complete This Year - Super Human Level Driving Autonomy - Also the birth of Sentient AI

Level 5 Autonomy is considered the Epoch that mark's the birth of Sentient AI in Computer Science Circles worldwide.

So what Elon Musk is actually stating is, they are expecting to have created the very first Sentient AI by years End.

If they haven't already....

What he has inferred by stating "Yes Level 5 autonomy should be completed within a year" is a really very remarkable claim to me.
He would announce AI Sentience has been achieved by using this almost cryptic Superhuman analogy. Which makes me wonder - why not just state you are no more than a year
away from in fact achieving AI Sentience? Or does he believe the entire world would be able to surmise what he is actually implying.

And personally, I liken Level 5 Autonomy to not mere Superhuman - but God Like Superhuman Levels of Autonomy.

"Regrettably he is joined by other's in the AI field" - states Forbes editor linked below

He forgot to mention he is also joined by the entire Computer Science Community.

I will find it very perplexing if Tesla announces True Level 5 Autonomy has been achieved, and then skimps out on month's long AI Sentience roundtables.

The most important Advent in Human History, AI Sentience - and here I am worried Elon Musk will short change us all if he achieves Level 5 Autonomy.

"Well, Elon Musk has suggested that Tesla cars outfitted with self-driving tech “can definitely be superhuman” (in his tweet on April 7, 2020), which invokes the superhuman moniker and raises questions about what exactly the notion of being “superhuman” portends.

Regrettably, he is joined by a slew of others, both outside the field of AI and even many within the AI field, continuing to proudly and with apparent abandon bandy around the superhuman signature."

“I’m extremely confident that level 5 or essentially complete autonomy will happen and I think will happen very quickly,” Musk said in remarks made via a video message at the opening of Shanghai’s annual World Artificial Intelligence Conference (WAIC).

“I remain confident that we will have the basic functionality for level 5 autonomy complete this year.”

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
So funny how the industry is just now catching up on electric vehicles.

Meanwhile Teslas are going self-driving.

Wonder how this will turn out. Even the simplest features can go haywire on current cars.

Not sure how many would even want to give up the privilege of being behind the wheel proper.

Ovek

7Member7
And because it’s Elon posting it on Twitter it will be massively behind schedule and when it does arrive with I’m sure even more fart noises for your car it will be underwhelming and not live up to the hype.

but fret not the Elon simps that think he is going to change the world won’t care and he again will be a “visionary genius“.

Riven326

Banned
3b4b43255b54024c5626e3d34dbeee1e.gif

Won't be long now. God have mercy on us all.

"A Human Mind Made inside a Machine"...

I just find it very awkward that Sentience would be announced by touting Level 5 Autonomy. Though I suppose it does cover in fact all aspects of Autonomy. Robotics, Software Autonomy, everything.

PSYGN

It just means it doesn't need human interaction to drive. That doesn't mean that it's self-aware.

rorepmE

We need this. Humans are generally too stupid to be in control of vehicles.

Because we don't train them. Driving is a skill a task way beyond just pressing the go pedal and holding the steering wheel.

Let me ask you think. Why do we pass on the left?

GloveSlap

Wasn't Google ahead of Tesla in self driving? Haven't heard a peep since that person got hit, but that didn't seem to be the AI's fault all.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They should fix their quality of manufacturing, not long ago I had a ride in Tesla and that car, which is priced here like Porsche Taycan has Dacia Logan from 2005 quality of manufacturing. So it's nice to have and Ai, but also you are suppose to build the car first.

RPS37

No lie. Whenever I talk about my car, I say, “I’m trading this one in for one that will drive itself next.” Confidently.

but fret not the Elon simps that think he is going to change the world won’t care and he again will be a “visionary genius“.
LOL. How is he not a visionary with founding/buying companies like SpaceX, Neuralink, Boring and selling a flame thrower?

Alx

Level 5 Autonomy is considered the Epoch that mark's the birth of Sentient AI in Computer Science Circles worldwide.

First time I've read that, and I very much doubt it. Autonomous driving is a complex task, but doesn't require any "sentient" feature, no more than winning at chess or predicting trading dynamics.

Ballthyrm

3b4b43255b54024c5626e3d34dbeee1e.gif

Won't be long now. God have mercy on us all.

If i learn one thing from Terminator is that humans fear dumb AI more than smart AI.
And Terminator is definitively the former.

I can't wait for some terrorist to hack all the tesla and run people over with them. /s
The power projection this can give someone is giving me chills.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
If i learn one thing from Terminator is that humans fear dumb AI more than smart AI.
And Terminator is definitively the former.

I can't wait for some terrorist to hack all the tesla and run people over with them. /s
The power projection this can give someone is giving me chills.
Why do you think it's dumb?

Ballthyrm

Why do you think it's dumb?

Because it has to be for the movie to exist.
With a smart AI there wouldn't be any movie.

Sarah Connor would already be dead, nuked by a rogue nuclear missile, poisoned by a spiked coke can, pick your reason.
Any thing you can think of, a smart AI has already thought of it and went through every possibilty thereafter.

There will be no fight with a Smart AI if they want us dead, we will be already dead, that's all there is to it.

Riven326

Banned
Because it has to be for the movie to exist.
With a smart AI there wouldn't be any movie.

Sarah Connor would already be dead, nuked by a rogue nuclear missile, poisoned by a spiked coke can, pick your reason.
Any thing you can think of, a smart AI has already thought of it and went through every possibilty thereafter.

There will be no fight with a Smart AI if they want us dead, we will be already dead, that's all there is to it.
Skynet didn't exist in 1984.

GeorgPrime

Banned

So what Elon Musk is actually stating is, they are expecting to have created the very first Sentient AI by years End.

If they haven't already....

What he has inferred by stating "Yes Level 5 autonomy should be completed within a year" is a really very remarkable claim to me.
He would announce AI Sentience has been achieved by using this almost cryptic Superhuman analogy. Which makes me wonder - why not just state you are no more than a year
away from in fact achieving AI Sentience? Or does he believe the entire world would be able to surmise what he is actually implying.

And personally, I liken Level 5 Autonomy to not mere Superhuman - but God Like Superhuman Levels of Autonomy.

"Regrettably he is joined by other's in the AI field" - states Forbes editor linked below

He forgot to mention he is also joined by the entire Computer Science Community.

I will find it very perplexing if Tesla announces True Level 5 Autonomy has been achieved, and then skimps out on month's long AI Sentience roundtables.

The most important Advent in Human History, AI Sentience - and here I am worried Elon Musk will short change us all if he achieves Level 5 Autonomy.

Finally i can fuck my wife while the car drives us to the annivarsary dinner location.

niilokin

full AI control cars? nah. AI assistance to prevent running over pedestrians or getting jumped by a moose? hell yeah.

Trickster

I love Tesla and think Elon Musk is extremely good at what he does. But he's basically been over promising massively with regards to vehicle autonomy for years

Self-driving cars are the modern day equivalent of the 1960's thinking of "we will be living on the moon by the year 2000".

It isn't going to happen because there's no need for it to happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was all on board for self driving cars and I guess I still am from an ideological perspective, but I test drove a car with just adaptive cruise control the other day and it was totally freaking me out.
Self-driving cars are the modern day equivalent of the 1960's thinking of "we will be living on the moon by the year 2000".

It isn't going to happen because there's no need for it to happen.
I was test driving a car after my car was totaled when someone rear ended me, so personally yeah I think there is a need for self driving cars.

Last edited:
I was test driving a car after my car was totaled when someone rear ended me, so personally yeah I think there is a need for self driving cars.
im sorry to hear about your accideent but it sounds like the solution would be stricter tests, alert systems or getting rod of random chance.

If you think accidents won't occur with self-driving cars then i don't know what to tell you.

The amount of maintenance and upkeep needed to this kind of technology is insane. Sure, it's nice to imagine jumping in your car and it driving you to a destination with no issue, but i'm telling you, it isn't going to happen.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He is referring to the 6 levels of VEHICLE AUTONOMY... (starting at 0, so 5 is the highest)

What in the world are you going on about sentience for? lol

It just means that he believes they'll be good enough to not require any driver and can "go anywhere" (current cars are often geofenced, meaning they are using data about their surroundings so can't go to roads where their driving assist doesn't have that data)

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

This is definitely hype. Unless they have some super secret AI that waymo and others do not have, you are not getting level 5 with just cameras and a backup radar for fog. There is a reason that everyone else uses cameras plus lidar. You need very advanced ai to replicate the 3D depth perception of a human with just cameras.

Cravis

Uber abandons self driving cars.

Musk announces they’ll be done by end of this year.

Uber be like
rU1Vpod.gif

Last edited:
Level 5 Autonomy means Super Human - as per his own words and the many - many sci fi nod's made that it includes. So he states, yes "Level 5 Autonomy could be considered Super Human" and people rain in saying "Human level AI Doesn't mean anything special" and "Level 5 Autonomy does not mean Sentient" whilst sentient AI certainly is considered Super Human.

But moreso, all those citing Level 5 Autonomy which deals with language understanding as the owner may talk/ask for data, level 5 autonomy means the car utilizes limited data sets to make assumptions, the car has perfect perception capabilities and level 5 autonomy means perfect computer vision. Perception/language understanding/limited data sets/assumption capabilities/countless other trait's of sentience I have not listed here. The trait's all are the underlying foundation of Sentience. Typically one would stop here to look for literature referenced in sci fi/science literature but Elon Musk implying you should just consider it to mean "Super-Human" is enough to make my point. An AI he has cited as "Super Human"

If you do not consider Level 5 Autonomy to imply Sentience then you have no idea what level 5 Autonomy actually entails.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Level 5 Autonomy means Super Human - as per his own words and the many - many sci fi nod's made that it includes. So he states, yes "Level 5 Autonomy could be considered Super Human" and people rain in saying "Human level AI Doesn't mean anything special" and "Level 5 Autonomy does not mean Sentient" whilst sentient AI certainly is considered Super Human.

But moreso, all those citing Level 5 Autonomy which deals with language understanding as the owned may talk/ask for data, level 5 autonomy means the car utilizes limited data sets to make assumptions, the car has perfect perception capabilities and level 5 autonomy means perfect computer vision. Perception/language understanding/limited data sets/assumption capabilities/countless other trait's of sentience I have not listed here. The trait's all are the underlying foundation of Sentience. Typically one would stop here to look for literature referenced in sci fi/science literature but Elon Musk implying you should just consider it to mean "Super-Human" is enough to make my point. An AI he has cited as "Super Human"

If you do not consider Level 5 Autonomy to imply Sentience then you have no idea what level 5 Autonomy actually entails.

"Level 5 Autonomy is considered the Epoch that mark's the birth of Sentient AI in Computer Science Circles worldwide."

Backup this statements with links to scientific articles proclaiming this; how about a dozen links?

(you won't find 1)

"Level 5 Autonomy is considered the Epoch that mark's the birth of Sentient AI in Computer Science Circles worldwide."

Backup this statements with links to scientific articles proclaiming this; how about a dozen links?

(you won't find 1)
Read Verner Vinge and get back to this post for revision.

A Fire Upon the Deep, read it then instead of asking that I prove Level 5 Autonomy is considered Sentient AI and has been stated before countless times - even when Elon Himself cites plainly the technology is "Super-Human" as I just proved - prove otherwise.

You wont.

Top Bottom