• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fully Autonomous (Level 4) Vehicles on Roads 2020, say multiple industry reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood12

This scares the shit out of me. Not the technology itself, but the implications it's going to have for the millions of people who work in the transportation sector.

entremet

Man. Some of you sound like senior citizens.

Where is the optimism for a less fatal driving future?

This is exciting stuff!

Pterion

Car enthusiasts are going to be extinct soon. Save the manuals? Nah, there are bigger problems on the horizon. Just wait until the government forces everybody to have autonomous cars, just like all cars need to have airbags in order to save lives. As much as I love cars, public safety is way more important than my fun, but that's just me. Race cars and race racks will still exist, so win-win?

This scares the shit out of me. Not the technology itself, but the implications it's going to have for the millions of people who work in the transportation sector.

I think there are 3 million truck drivers in the US. If a mass layoff of truck drivers doesn't make us re-evaluate our concept of labor, nothing will.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I imagine if there's still a "manual" driver mode, then we'll still need some amount of personal liability insurance. But I completely agree that we could be seeing an "insurance fee" of sorts built into the cost of the car. I'm curious how manufacturers will address those costs. One time fee at purchase? Or a yearly subscription?

you'll probably see both.

for taxi (uber/etc) surcharges on your per-ride (depending on the area you are in)
for car manufacturers, rolled into a "subscription service" that offers updates to your car and other value-added services.

thats as long as we have car ownership. we are going to be going in the direction where we aren't even going to have car ownership anymore as a common thing. similar to how not everyone owns a horse anymore.

leases will probably be reformed into essentially transportation subscriptions.

psylah

I still enjoy driving, so it'll be a while for me.

I will like being able to drive past cars and knowing by make and model that they aren't going to swerve into my lane or cut me off, though.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot see this being a full nationwide thing. I can still think of too many instances, while not every time I drive, that are common enough a computerized vehicle would have issues dealing with it. Mostly, snow related situations where there are no visible markers on the road and lane configurations have changed due to snowbanks/space. Somehow a computer is going to have to figure all of this out dynamically only from other traffic around it and completely ignore internal/gps maps. I can't even begin to think of how hard that would be to program, and how to program when it's appropriate and safe to do so. So yeah, good luck to them. They've got their work cut out for them.

Unless it becomes illegal. Which it has to at some point if we want to take full advantage of all the features of autonomous driving.

I can't wait for speed limits to increase and going at 100+ mph at intersections with only inches of clearance, which would be impossible if your slow ass brain is trying to control a vehicle manually on the road.

I can't wait for traffic lights to be a thing of the past, since every car can be fully connected and aware of all the other cars, making them unnecessary. You will see a dramatic improvement in traffic and commute times, but by all means lets forgo that so you can have "fun".

I'm thinking we'll see a major boost to track days, where you'll be able to drive your primitive cars in closed courses to your hearts content.

This isn't going to ever happen. You still have pedestrians to worry about and 1000+ pound piece of metal will never be able to instantly stop (nor will the passengers survive such a stop). Speed limits changes will be a lot less impressive than people think. Again, sure the computer may be able to instantly react at about 10ms vs a human at 250ms to a deer suddenly on the road, but it's not going to matter when your autonomous vehicle cannot physically move itself away and you plow into it at 100mph. You're more dead than ever.

GYNGA

That's a lot sooner than I expected. Although it will take at least another couple of decades until everyone can afford autonomous vehicle.

PixelPeZ

1339516611732664490.jpg

McHuj

I'm all for autonomous cars, but I want to own mine. I really don't want to share it, I want it be basically a mobile extension of my house.

winjet81

Looking forward to getting truck drivers out of the drivers seat... those clowns are constantly destroying traffic flow on the highways and are downright dangerous at times.

The future of driver-less trucking guided by sweet computing algorithms can't come soon enough.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
you'll probably see both.

for taxi (uber/etc) surcharges on your per-ride (depending on the area you are in)
for car manufacturers, rolled into a "subscription service" that offers updates to your car and other value-added services.

thats as long as we have car ownership. we are going to be going in the direction where we aren't even going to have car ownership anymore as a common thing. similar to how not everyone owns a horse anymore.

leases will probably be reformed into essentially transportation subscriptions.

we dont have horses anymore becase we buy cars , not subscribe to a service that allows us to use one, We can go anywhere freely on any open road or road we pay to travel on. Who will own the car and decide your travel when things become autonomous subscribe to drive? Will car" companies" pay for the roads since the avg "user" is just paying to use a vehicle as a service and owns nothing?

Sky Chief

I cannot see this being a full nationwide thing. I can still think of too many instances, while not every time I drive, that are common enough a computerized vehicle would have issues dealing with it. Mostly, snow related situations where there are no visible markers on the road and lane configurations have changed due to snowbanks/space. Somehow a computer is going to have to figure all of this out dynamically only from other traffic around it and completely ignore internal/gps maps. I can't even begin to think of how hard that would be to program, and how to program when it's appropriate and safe to do so. So yeah, good luck to them. They've got their work cut out for them.

This isn't going to ever happen. You still have pedestrians to worry about and 1000+ pound piece of metal will never be able to instantly stop (nor will the passengers survive such a stop). Speed limits changes will be a lot less impressive than people think. Again, sure the computer may be able to instantly react at about 10ms vs a human at 250ms to a deer suddenly on the road, but it's not going to matter when your autonomous vehicle cannot physically move itself away and you plow into it at 100mph. You're more dead than ever.

I disagree, cars could be built far more safely if they didn't have to be made with the driver in mind. Just like the Model S is the safest car in a collision because there is no huge, metal engine a driverless car can also do away with dangerous but necessary things such as steering wheels and tons of windows for visibility. Furthermore, autonomous cars would be able to predict collisions before they occur and trigger airbags and other safety devices before or immediately at impact.

Anion

Will it work in this though?

Because that is what I need.

I'll add this as well. Autonomous cars are like #1 on my list of possible future things that I could obtain during my lifetime. Can't wait.
It probably makes driving that even easier and faster because a slow mofos will not be able to clog the traffic lol

Maybe on the highways, but speeds wouldn't increase much in the cities. You still need to factor in pedestrians and bicyclists. Unless you plan on outlawing bicyclists also. And what happens to all the existing classic cars? They suddenly become lawn ornaments?

This is a slow transition obviously, it's not like we should outlaw human driving by 2020. 2050 though? Maybe. Just like cars without catalytic converters are no longer allowed, classic cars will be just phased out in time, until they make up such an insignificant portion of total cars that they could be banned without causing much of a stir.

I would really like to outlaw cyclists, I think they're a huge danger on the road, but that's for another thread. Who's to say though, that by that time bicycles will also steer themselves, or at least be connected to the "grid" and aware of other automated cars and signal them to slow down in its presence.

Even if we were to keep traffic lights for a while longer, just picture the time it takes since the light turns green to when you can start going if you're at the back of the line. I've timed it and sometimes it can be over 10 seconds. If all cars are automated, they will all start at full speed the instant the light turns and they will keep a constant distance between themselves. That change alone should really speed up traffic.

I disagree, cars could be built far more safely if they didn't have to be made with the driver in mind. Just like the Model S is the safest car in a collision because there is no huge, metal engine a driverless car can also do away with dangerous but necessary things such as steering wheels and tons of windows for visibility. Furthermore, autonomous cars would be able to predict collisions before they occur and trigger airbags and other safety devices before or immediately at impact.

Also just putting the seats rear facing like infant seats should have a major impact in safety. Something only possible with fully autonomous vehicles.

As long as I can still drive my sports cars around, I welcome this advancement.

You better believe that sooner or later it's going to be illegal to manually drive a vehicle on public roads. The safety hazard of a manual driver will no longer be tolerated as transportation accidents and casualties dwindle down to almost-zero.

You better believe that sooner or later it's going to be illegal to manually drive a vehicle on public roads. The safety hazard of a manual driver will no longer be tolerated as transportation accidents and casualties dwindle down to almost-zero.

Its going to be 'later'....as in much much much later.

RedSwirl

I imagine at first for a while there will still be steering wheels and humans in the drivers' seats just to make people feel safe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think there are 3 million truck drivers in the US. If a mass layoff of truck drivers doesn't make us re-evaluate our concept of labor, nothing will.

https://medium.com/basic-income/self-driving-trucks-are-going-to-hit-us-like-a-human-driven-truck-b8507d9c5961#.o27qlbj14

According to the American Trucker Association, there are 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the US, and an additional 5.2 million people employed within the truck-driving industry who don’t drive the trucks. That’s 8.7 million trucking-related jobs.

That's not including secondary employment from truck stops, motels etc serving truckers.

Darryl

Banned

it's incredible how big this industry is. the roll out of autonomous vehicles will probably take forever, especially to commercial trucking, but i wonder where the people will drift off to? it'll be something that they have to deal with at some point in their lives, even if it's not till 2030

Ovid

Sounds good to me.

I love driving but I also welcome not being behind the wheel at all the time (especially on long trips or commuting home from work).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
it's incredible how big this industry is. the roll out of autonomous vehicles will probably take forever, especially to commercial trucking, but i wonder where the people will drift off to? it'll be something that they have to deal with at some point in their lives, even if it's not till 2030
The government will have to do something. But idk what.

You tell a shipper they can ship cheaper, not having to pay a driver (of course there will be other cost) and faster, because robots don't have to stop and sleep for hours of mandatory downtime... yeah there's real incentive for change there.

Rur0ni

It's comforting to know, in time, my children probably won't have to worry about bad drivers. I'm curious how long the transition period will be.

That will be like trying to legislate guns in the us, cars are just as important culturally to us (city folk don't count)

We obviously don't care how many people it will kill (see alcohol, guns, cigarettes, corn syrup). Lives don't matter.

The insurance industry though will see this as a gold mine oppertunity. Not using a robo car? That will be an extra $300 a month for "human error" insurance

Yeah the laws won't change but drivers will be priced out of driving by their insurance.

ChouGoku

It's comforting to know, in time, my children probably won't have to worry about bad drivers. I'm curious how long the transition period will be.

I'm sure it will be like the transition to smartphones, at first it's "why would I wan't one" and quickly it goes to "how did I live without this"

Nipo

Insurance complies can kill human driven cars quicker than government. Just raise rates sky high or stop insuring anything that isn't autonomous.

subrock

I wonder how Geohot's car is coming along after that article about his system last month.

Probably fined and had his license suspended by the DMV/ State.

I live driving, but if this gets my girlfriend from out behind the wheel I'd say it can't come soon enough. It will be a game-changer on so many more levels than just the personal driving experience level.

Mechazawa

I'm still not totally sure how these things handle parking and are capable of detecting entrances, but I welcome our robot driver overlords.

N.Domixis

Banned
Seems like humans are headed towards a future where everything will be automated. Teachers, Doctors, drivers, engineers, etc. Humans will be left with just exploring the universe with all their free time. No one will be poor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

We've had shifts that people had to adapt to before, but I don't know if any were as big or fast as this has he potential to be. 8m truck drivers and supporting services, maybe another 8m who rely significantly on those drivers for their livelihood. Then add in 250,000 taxi drivers, and all the local companies impacted by the loss of that income being spent.

How many of these shifts will it take before people start to seriously consider the need to move away from the concept of full employment and start working on what replaces it?

Nivash

The government will have to do something. But idk what.

You tell a shipper they can ship cheaper, not having to pay a driver (of course there will be other cost) and faster, because robots don't have to stop and sleep for hours of mandatory downtime... yeah there's real incentive for change there.

The transportation industry is likely going to see a quick enough revolution that lots of people will be taken aback, if not completely left in the dust. Logistics companies regularly replace their vehicle inventories due to wear and tear. The second a new model of automated truck is capable of transporting goods cheaper and more reliable than any human it's going to be a no-brainer to make the switch. The entire industry could transition within the span of a few years if there's money to be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom