• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The summon I was using at first was only doing like 67 damage per hit. Mimic was doing like 4-5x that.

Ive got the Mimic plus a fully upgraded Bloodhounds Fang.

Think Ill warp out of Farum Azula and start the journey to the Haligtree then. Might have to get that other half of the token though.

Last edited:
No of course not.
If you cannot tell a story in fairly decent time, then it's not a good story.
like. if you need 13 hours to explain who marika is and what's going on, then something is not right.
I saw much shorter vids that get to the point
And yes - I know reading a book takes a long time but it's not about that.

Agree with you there. There was one YTer that makes Final Fantasy videos but i think its like 15hrs per title. I can handle something movie length because YT is pretty much modern TV but when I see any videos talking 10+ hrs about a single game, its some jerking off exposition, drama pauses etc. Its not enjoyable to watch nor is that length needed for everything to be explained.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Agree with you there. There was one YTer that makes Final Fantasy videos but i think its like 15hrs per title. I can handle something movie length because YT is pretty much modern TV but when I see any videos talking 10+ hrs about a single game, its some jerking off exposition, drama pauses etc. Its not enjoyable to watch nor is that length needed for everything to be explained.
I mean, you can explain whole lord of the rings in like 5 minutes... and probably in good detail in an hour.
15 hours is just bad

Soodanim

Gold Member
Should I go try to take on either Maliketh or Dragonlord Placidusax? Does the Mimic help a bunch on them too?
Mimic has your gear and spells with scaled up HP per level and infinite FP/items - it's useful pretty much everywhere. Equip an area healing spell if you have any and if you take the aggro it will pretty much look after itself too.

I used to keep one of the perfumer buff craftables, which means mimic has infinite of them. It might use it rarely or way too often, but it almost certainly will.

What some people do is equip something they want the mimic to have, summon, then change the load out.

Personally I would go for Placi.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Mimic has your gear and spells with scaled up HP per level and infinite FP/items - it's useful pretty much everywhere. Equip an area healing spell if you have any and if you take the aggro it will pretty much look after itself too.

I used to keep one of the perfumer buff craftables, which means mimic has infinite of them. It might use it rarely or way too often, but it almost certainly will.

What some people do is equip something they want the mimic to have, summon, then change the load out.

Personally I would go for Placi.

Is that the Uplifting Aromatic? I dont think Ive ever used these before :messenger_confounded:

ebevan91

I'm trying to get some more achievements done on this run. I've "activated" the Frenzied Flame ending so now that's the ending I'll get eventually once I make it to the end. Also beat Mohg, the Omen which I never did in my first playthrough. Still need to beat Placidusax, acquire the rest of the legendary stuff, and also do the Elden Lord ending, which I'll have to save for another playthrough. Maybe on my NG+ character.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I forget what shield Im using but I got it real early on. Its like a small golden one. Has served me well!
Sorry, I meant that the Uplifting Aromatic's buff is that it boosts attack and is a physical shield that eats a single attack. But that shield is the one I used - very sturdy and reliable!

Fake

Should I go try to take on either Maliketh or Dragonlord Placidusax? Does the Mimic help a bunch on them too?

The mimic summon? He works well with Placidusax, but not too good against Maliketh because he is one of the most agressive bosses in the game.

You need either a ranged or a support summon, maybe a dps summon like the black knife.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Dude ok so I know I need to light these four statues but holy fucking shit those black assassins completely curbstomp my ass (and I have the sentry torch). Bloodhounds fang does jack shit in damage so I’m assuming I need to sneak past them as best I can.

Does the game save for each statue you light? Any good way to take down the assassins? Or a guide to get the statues? (or at least two. I see the one on ground level and I got one by climbing up a ladder in the back of a building after shitting my pants running from an assassin).

Fake

Dude ok so I know I need to light these four statues but holy fucking shit those black assassins completely curbstomp my ass (and I have the sentry torch). Bloodhounds fang does jack shit in damage so I’m assuming I need to sneak past them as best I can.

Does the game save for each statue you light? Any good way to take down the assassins? Or a guide to get the statues? (or at least two. I see the one on ground level and I got one by climbing up a ladder in the back of a building after shitting my pants running from an assassin).

The tourch reveal the black knife assassins.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Honestly the invisible Black knife are not the biggest threat, its those female albinauric arches are the ones that can pain in the ass.

Fake

Honestly the invisible Black knife are not the biggest threat, its those female albinauric arches are the ones that can pain in the ass.

Hidetaka Miyazaki did a giga job here. None of those enemies are a threat ALONE, but they need to work together to be strong as hell. If the floor was without the Black Knife assassin invisible, those albinauric would be pretty easy, in fact most of the gravity skills/spell litelary bring them to the ground.

While if the builds don't have the albinauric, would be super easy just to avoid the assassins.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Isn't about time we hear something, ANYTHING about the DLC? I wish they announce the DLC when they had something to show....I'm not happy with this long radio silent .

Last edited:

Fake

Isn't about time we hear something, ANYTHING about the DLC? I wish they announce the DLC when they had something to show....I'm not happy with this long radio silent .

Yeah, I hope this DLC come this half of the year.

Miquella lore sounds promissing.

Soodanim

Gold Member

That part is rough. I tend to ignore the assassins and sprint to the ground torch, it's not worth fighting. The rooftop snipers are a pain with their insane aggro range, there's not really a lot you can do to get around them except learning which to pick off first. I don't know how invisibility or aggro redirection works, never thought of either until this second.

You might find it useful to know that the sentry torch will work even when you two hand another weapon, which may be useful for that beast of a sword you're using.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That part is rough. I tend to ignore the assassins and sprint to the ground torch, it's not worth fighting. The rooftop snipers are a pain with their insane aggro range, there's not really a lot you can do to get around them except learning which to pick off first. I don't know how invisibility or aggro redirection works, never thought of either until this second.

You might find it useful to know that the sentry torch will work even when you two hand another weapon, which may be useful for that beast of a sword you're using.

Alright well I checked out a vid this morning even though I already have a mental layout of the place. I know I can do it. For one, the game does save after each candle is lit which helps a ton. So it's really just a matter of doing the whole thing as systematically as possible, with lighting the ground level one last since that involves getting right in the dudes grill to light the candle.

Need to check and see if I have the assassins armor. Im actually not too concerned about the arrow guys. The assassins though, they scare the shit out of me.

Alright well I checked out a vid this morning even though I already have a mental layout of the place. I know I can do it. For one, the game does save after each candle is lit which helps a ton. So it's really just a matter of doing the whole thing as systematically as possible, with lighting the ground level one last since that involves getting right in the dudes grill to light the candle.

Need to check and see if I have the assassins armor. Im actually not too concerned about the arrow guys. The assassins though, they scare the shit out of me.
If you are referring to the black knife set it is under the stairway to the Haligtree.

I mean, you can explain whole lord of the rings in like 5 minutes... and probably in good detail in an hour.
15 hours is just bad
To be fair, YouTubers have a talent for stretching what could be said in a few minutes into hours and hours of video content. I find this trend annoying. 5-30 minutes > 3-15 hours

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Just learned I need to defeat Maliketh to get to Leyndell Ashen Capital. So that fucker is the roadblock to the final area and final boss eh? :pie_expressionless:

So I can just totally bypass Malenia if I want? Fight Maliketh and then head towards the end game?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Just learned I need to defeat Maliketh to get to Leyndell Ashen Capital. So that fucker is the roadblock to the final area and final boss eh? :pie_expressionless:

So I can just totally bypass Malenia if I want? Fight Maliketh and then head towards the end game?
Spot on. Haligtree, and even the Secret Medallions to get anywhere near there, is all optional.

Also, you missed something in the snowfield. If you want a general area to look: the collection of big trees opposite Ordina. Also, did you spot the walking mausoleum that probably killed your framerate?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Spot on. Haligtree, and even the Secret Medallions to get anywhere near there, is all optional.

Also, you missed something in the snowfield. If you want a general area to look: the collection of big trees opposite Ordina. Also, did you spot the walking mausoleum that probably killed your framerate?

Are you able to mark it on the map?

I dont think Ive spotted the walking mausoleum there, but I do know what you're talking about. Ive run into a couple of them in other parts of the world.

Damn man all this time I thought Malenia and all of the rest of the Shardbearers were necessary to fight to reach the end.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

I dont think Ive spotted the walking mausoleum there, but I do know what you're talking about. Ive run into a couple of them in other parts of the world.

Damn man all this time I thought Malenia and all of the rest of the Shardbearers were necessary to fight to reach the end.
I believe it's that very most western tip. I'd also check out both Yelough areas, there's at least one faith spell and a very powerful int spell to be had.

A personal favourite of mine is somewhere west of the first site of grace you get to when you first get into the region. It's not terribly OP, but the setup I have with it is extremely fun to annihilate bosses with.

For anyone that's interested:
Rotten Hammer with Wild Swings and Bleed infusion
Talismans to increase attach on successive hits, on bleed, and on rot. 4th optional, could be skill FP cost reduction, skill power, or HP recovery on successive hits.

The start is the slowest, then things start proccing and causes staggers, which means even more hits and even more procs and even more damage. It's only immune bosses that you can't steamroll.

Even more set up with something Chuck doesn't have yet: equip Malenia's rune for health recovery and drink a special flask to help with getting knocked out of attacks. And good armour, of course.

Last edited:

Ironically, the only necessary battles are with Maliketh and Radagon as many speedruns have revealed. As far as locating the Walking Mausoleum in the area is concerned, if you follow the frozen river NorthWest of Ordina you will find it. If you go there at night you will also find death.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ironically, the only necessary battles are with Maliketh and Radagon as many speedruns have revealed. As far as locating the Walking Mausoleum in the area is concerned, if you follow the frozen river NorthWest of Ordina you will find it. If you go there at night you will also find death.

Man how do you guys know all of this 😂😂😂

Fake

Fight Malenia is optional, BUT if you want to get rid of the chaos flames you need to beat her first.

Its just a shame they never create a dialogue with that.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So last nights session consisted of me just checking for any caves and catacombs I mightve missed up to this point. The mini dungeons in this game are my absolute favorite thing about it. I thought I'd make it back to Ordina but four hours flew by like ten minutes.

What are the chaos flames?

Also Im approaching 200 hours so Im getting there :messenger_beaming:

What are the chaos flames?
It is called the frenzied flame and it is tied to an ending that embodies unification by destruction. That ending can be cancelled by beating Malenia for a needle that can be used at Dragonlord Placidusax combat arena in Farum Azula.

To get it, you must give Hyetta (a traveling blind woman) shabiri grapes and enter the depths of Lyndell through a well. You must also find and defeat Mohg The Omen and pass through the invisible wall behind him and descend to the roots of the Elden Tree. A door will await you there and you must remove all weapons, talismans, and armor to gain the frenzied flame. Assuming you completed the Hyetta sidequest you will acquire some items when you return outside. Also, a resurrected samurai near a site of grace at the Mountaintops of Giants will dissipate giving you access to new armor.

Danjin44

running-out-of-patience-danni.gif

Nah I think it's just clickbait bullshit, but using that scene with it is hilarious.

Actually most Souls YouTubers are talking about an imminent trailer due to something that was recentnly updated on ER's steam page.

Top Bottom