• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Forth

I'm playing this and having a great time but I've concentrated on using the bloodhound fang, can anyone recommend when Intelligence rating and spell I should be using alongside it?

I'm playing this and having a great time but I've concentrated on using the bloodhound fang, can anyone recommend when Intelligence rating and spell I should be using alongside it?
If you want to use a weapon with high intelligence scaling, then early-game Moonveil is unrivaled (12 STR, 18 DEX, 23 INT). Second best is late-game Dark Moon Greatsword (16 STR, 11 DEX, 38 INT). Distant third is mid-game Carian Knight Sword (10 STR, 10 DEX, 18 INT).

If you desire magic strats... there are tons of builds, but here are a few ideas:

You can ride around like a jackass and pelt your enemies from afar with homing missiles using Glintstone Stars (12 INT), Rock Sling (18 INT), Star Shower (24 INT), and Stars of Ruin (43 INT).
You can freeze them from a distance with Glintstone Icecrag (15 INT), Freezing Mist (23 INT), and Adula's Moonblade (32 INT) while resetting with explosive stones. (Does not work on all enemies)
You can summon weapons to strike opponents up close with Carian Slicer (14 INT), Carian Greatsword (24 INT), Carrian Piercer (27 INT), and Adula's Moonblade (32 INT).
You can death beam everything in a single direction with Crystal Barrage (23 INT), Crystal Torrent (47 INT), and Comet Azur (60 INT).

P.S. Passive projectiles with Glintblade Phalanx (22 INT), Greatblade Phalanx (29 INT), and Carian Phalanx (34 INT) could be useful support spells. An alternative parry method is Carian Retaliation (17 INT) but its Ash of War version might be more convenient.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Is there enough lore in the game to even warrant a 13.5 hour video?
Lol, dude the amount of lore in this game is crazy. Its one of the most intricate worlds ive seen, I love it. Really hope we find out more in the DLC, theres alot that Miyazaki keeps from us 👀

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Lol, dude the amount of lore in this game is crazy. Its one of the most intricate worlds ive seen, I love it. Really hope we find out more in the DLC, theres alot that Miyazaki keeps from us 👀
At this point we are 100% sure the DLC is going to be about Miquella.

This is the Fromsoftware game with the most lore and unanswered mysteries, so yeah there’s plenty to discuss and theorize about.

I beat Rykard yesterday on my 2nd playthrough, I didn’t know that doing that stops the manor hit job questline, and I wanted to get the raging wolf set. Oh well. Rykard is the toughest boss yet, the other Rune bearers were very easy in comparison. But it’s also the coolest gimmick boss in Souls games in my experience, using the gimmick weapon doesn’t guarantee an easy win and the whole battle is one of the most visually impressive in the whole game.

This is the Fromsoftware game with the most lore and unanswered mysteries, so yeah there’s plenty to discuss and theorize about.

I beat Rykard yesterday on my 2nd playthrough, I didn’t know that doing that stops the manor hit job questline, and I wanted to get the raging wolf set. Oh well. Rykard is the toughest boss yet, the other Rune bearers were very easy in comparison. But it’s also the coolest gimmick boss in Souls games in my experience, using the gimmick weapon doesn’t guarantee an easy win and the whole battle is one of the most visually impressive in the whole game.
I disagree. Rykard is worse than Yorm from Dark Souls III because there is no way to approach the boss like any other enemy in the game. The boss must always be attacked from a distance as there is an area of effect directly next to it. Conceptually the boss is cool, but the lame way the battle plays out makes me want to fight the updated version of Centipede Demon from the original Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Finally beaten the game. Bought it on release for PS5. Had a blood katana build but gave up on Elden Beast and Malenia. Grabbed the Xbox version on sale last week, made a Guts/Berserk build and whooped everybody's ass (with my mimic). Loved the game even more even though I knew most stuff. Easily my game of the (cross)generation.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Almost a year to the day I jump back in to give the Godskin Duo another shot and lo and behold (like what usually happens with me and From games), I beat the fuckers on my third try.

Now I have no idea where to go. I know Im close to the end. Ive already set the tree on fire and Im pretty sure Malenia is next, but I have absolutely no idea where I need to be at this point. Im basically right at the site of grace where the duo was in Crumbling Farum Azula.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Now I have no idea where to go. I know Im close to the end. Ive already set the tree on fire and Im pretty sure Malenia is next, but I have absolutely no idea where I need to be at this point. Im basically right at the site of grace where the duo was in Crumbling Farum Azula.
Malenia is not on Farum Azula, she in Haligtree.....I usually got to that place before going to Farum Azula.

Soodanim

Almost a year to the day I jump back in to give the Godskin Duo another shot and lo and behold (like what usually happens with me and From games), I beat the fuckers on my third try.

It's always the way! I think it's easy to get stuck in the patterns that get us killed, so with a brain reset you're more adaptive. I did just make that up, though.

As for where to go, that room has the 2 possible entrances (curved staircase and one the opposite side), then at the other end of the room (site of grace end) there are 2 exits. I can't remember which, but one of them will take you onwards.

Side question: do you have any medallion halves? The ones that let you activate the big lifts.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's always the way! I think it's easy to get stuck in the patterns that get us killed, so with a brain reset you're more adaptive. I did just make that up, though.

As for where to go, that room has the 2 possible entrances (curved staircase and one the opposite side), then at the other end of the room (site of grace end) there are 2 exits. I can't remember which, but one of them will take you onwards.

Side question: do you have any medallion halves? The ones that let you activate the big lifts.

Yep got the medallions and activated both lifts(?)

Ive put almost 200 hours into the game and am at level 118 or somewhere around there.

Thanks for the tips! Guess Ill stick around Azula and find the right path to whatever comes next.

And I have no idea where the Haligtree is. I think theres a couple optional bosses there right?

Edit: Oooh I think I might go try to take on Dragonlord Placidusax!

Last edited:

Soodanim

Yep got the medallions and activated both lifts(?)

Ive put almost 200 hours into the game and am at level 118 or somewhere around there.

Thanks for the tips! Guess Ill stick around Azula and find the right path to whatever comes next.

And I have no idea where the Haligtree is. I think theres a couple optional bosses there right?
I'll nest some spoilers so you can reveal as much or as little as you like:
You need two halves of the Dectus Secret Medallion. You likely have at least one but forgot about it.
One is in Liurnia, the other in the Mountaintops
The Liurnia one is in the Village of the Albinaurics, which is the small ruined village underneath the cliff in the south west of the area. The other is in Castle Sol in the very north of the Mountaintops of the Giants
Take them back to the second lift (after the capital) and you'll have a second prompt to choose.
With 200 hours I probably don't need to suggest this, but I recommend exploring as much of the new area you end up in as possible. There's lots to see and get, and there's a weapon I didn't even know about until I read online because... well, you'll see why things can be missed.

Last edited:
Two bosses (not counting optional mid-bosses), but tons of cool unlockables and unusual level design. You can get to Haligtree from Ordina, Liturgical Town at the tip of the Consecrated Snowfield (by the Mountaintops of the Giants).

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'll nest some spoilers so you can reveal as much or as little as you like:
You need two halves of the Dectus Secret Medallion. You likely have at least one but forgot about it.
One is in Liurnia, the other in the Mountaintops
The Liurnia one is in the Village of the Albinaurics, which is the small ruined village underneath the cliff in the south west of the area. The other is in Castle Sol in the very north of the Mountaintops of the Giants
Take them back to the second lift (after the capital) and you'll have a second prompt to choose.

Ill double check later tonight and let you know if I have them. Im pretty sure I do.

Thanks for the help guys. This communities for From games here are some of my favs. You fuckers just know everything lol

Soodanim

Ill double check later tonight and let you know if I have them. Im pretty sure I do.

Thanks for the help guys. This communities for From games here are some of my favs. You fuckers just know everything lol
Haha happy to help mate!

There's a bit of a questline that goes along with this that is meant to guide you somewhat when you're close, do you have the spirit summon that is a legless sniper whose name I've forgotten? If not, I can point that out as well as you get a nice reward from it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Haha happy to help mate!

There's a bit of a questline that goes along with this that is meant to guide you somewhat when you're close, do you have the spirit summon that is a legless sniper whose name I've forgotten? If not, I can point that out as well as you get a nice reward from it.

I have a ton of summons, but Im not sure if I have that one. So yeah lay it on me bruh

Soodanim

I have a ton of summons, but Im not sure if I have that one. So yeah lay it on me bruh
Latenna was her name. You get her east of the Village of the Albinaurics at the end of a cave that is found in the side of a sloping hill. Sir Gideon directs you there if you have one half of the medallion, so I'll let him tell you:

Find the Albinauric woman. She hides in a cave to the west of the Laskyar Ruins which jut from the mist-shrouded lake of Liurnia. She knows the location of the medallion's counterpart, I am sure.

(Don't worry, that wasn't from memory!)

Basically, follow the edge of the water on the left when you first get into Liurnia and you'll see a cave

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Latenna was her name. You get her east of the Village of the Albinaurics at the end of a cave that is found in the side of a sloping hill. Sir Gideon directs you there if you have one half of the medallion, so I'll let him tell you:

Find the Albinauric woman. She hides in a cave to the west of the Laskyar Ruins which jut from the mist-shrouded lake of Liurnia. She knows the location of the medallion's counterpart, I am sure.

(Don't worry, that wasn't from memory!)

Basically, follow the edge of the water on the left when you first get into Liurnia and you'll see a cave

Thank you!

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Hohenheim

Currently doing my third playthrough in ER, in preparation for the DLC.
Wonder how/where the dlc will start,and how far into the game I should go before it launches.
I'm on my way to the helligtee to face that horror of a boss, and are at that vital point in the game (in the mountaintops of giants).
Should probably leave it at this point until the dlc? Currently at level 160 and don't want to be too OP for the Dlc..

Last edited:
Currently doing my third playthrough in ER, in preparation for the DLC.
Wonder how/where the dlc will start,and how far into the game I should go before it launches.
I'm on my way to the helligtee to face that horror of a boss, and are at that vital point in the game (in the mountaintops of giants).
Should probably leave it at this point until the dlc? Currently at level 160 and don't want to be too OP for the Dlc..
As long as you do not kill the main boss of Farum Azula you are in a flexible place to do side stuff without any real issues even if you finish off Mountaintops of Giants.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No of course not.
If you cannot tell a story in fairly decent time, then it's not a good story.
like. if you need 13 hours to explain who marika is and what's going on, then something is not right.
I saw much shorter vids that get to the point
And yes - I know reading a book takes a long time but it's not about that.

ebevan91

I was struggling vs. Malenia on my current playthrough, rarely making it to the 2nd phase, so I did what I said I wasn't going to do, and that was use the Mimic Tear. Almost beat her on the first try after that. The thing is just so OP. I'm tired of playing the game and ready to be done with it until the DLC.

Hohenheim

I was struggling vs. Malenia on my current playthrough, rarely making it to the 2nd phase, so I did what I said I wasn't going to do, and that was use the Mimic Tear. Almost beat her on the first try after that. The thing is just so OP. I'm tired of playing the game and ready to be done with it until the DLC.
I took her with the mimic on my first playthrough and with a summon on the second.
This time i'm doing it solo, even if it takes me forever.

No of course not.
like. if you need 13 hours to explain who marika is and what's going on, then something is not right.
It will please you to know that he has pumped out another 13 hour long video on top of the original.

Soodanim

No of course not.
To a point, I do agree with you. I felt that Elden Ring was a reaction to the internet uncovering lore secrets too quickly and too well, and chose to make things too obscure. Marika is the key plot point and her whole thing is not explained at all. The main plot doesn't need to be that obscure, it's too central for that.

But on the other hand, I know you're being hyperbolic but it's worth pointing out that the videos (the first one, at least) are not just about Marika but the entire world. They go into real world inspiration for things and whatnot.

They are compilations of all of his videos and so you get overlap between chapters. At points you even see the evolution of lore theories over time as he takes input from others.

I had the first one on in a pop out player while I played Vampire Survivors' newest update over the course of a week or two. I also watch YouTube videos on at least 1.25x speed these days. I didn't take all of it in, but it's not bad if you like the lore stuff. Not sure if/when I will do the second one - maybe when Vampire Survivors has more DLC/updates.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I thought the Mimic tear was supposed to be the one you dont want to use because it gives her the advantage of two characters to take health away from? Doesnt she have some attack like that? That's what's made me such a pussy about fighting her. Been avoiding it as much as possible lol

Soodanim

I thought the Mimic tear was supposed to be the one you dont want to use because it gives her the advantage of two characters to take health away from? Doesnt she have some attack like that? That's what's made me such a pussy about fighting her. Been avoiding it as much as possible lol
I don't think that is the case, AFAIK the HP is set on entry based on the number of active players, and spirit summons happen after that point.

Fun fact: in DS1 you could begin summoning an NPC summon and enter the boss before it appeared to get the benefit of single player boss health while having the summon

Last edited:

ebevan91

The mimic did a lot of damage (I'm sure others do as well) and she couldn't recover health quick enough with 2 of me attacking her.

Top Bottom