• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Luckily enough the archer on the right just fell to his death before I reached him. A funny resolution for that infamous moment which I was apprehending.
So I reached the bonfire where you find Solaire and explored most of the rooms nearby. The room with the paintings is stunning and I'm surprised to see that the figures depicted look perfectly realistic (except for Gwynevere), as if they are real portraits. I looked up some guide for his quest and read that you shouldn't talk to him if you haven't fulfilled some condition--can't remember the specifics. What do you recommend I do to avoid his bad ending?

A few screenshots I took for the occasion:
3U8Jeqz.jpg

UjEx6lb.jpg

ZOUGQL9.jpg

JEoDKz9.jpg

VfBPVvK.jpg

zPOVW1d.jpg

*neurons activated*
You can speak to him here without fear. It is in Demon's Ruins by the second bell that you should not talk to him. To avoid his default ending you can use poison pyromancy on the bugs in Demon's Ruins or level up enough in Chaos Servant covenant to open door in Demon's Ruins and do it manually. The location is past the lava and orange fog wall on the right. Not sure why you would want to deprive yourself of that ending...

Also, that last picture reminds me of this poor bastard in Dark Souls 3...
batZzjv.png

You can speak to him here without fear. It is in Demon's Ruins by the second bell that you should not talk to him. To avoid his default ending you can use poison pyromancy on the bugs in Demon's Ruins or level up enough in Chaos Servant covenant to open door in Demon's Ruins and do it manually. The location is past the lava and orange fog wall on the right. Not sure why you would want to deprive yourself of that ending...

Also, that last picture reminds me of this poor bastard in Dark Souls 3...
batZzjv.png
At least he dies with empty balls.

Is it still better for frame rate to run the PS4 version on a PS5? Starting over and it’s been since launch, just trying to figure this out before I commit.

While I have no first hand experience, the word around the campfire is unless you have a VRR capable television stick with PS4 version for more stable framerate on PS5. If anything the addition of ray tracing elements have made things worse on PS5 version.

Last edited:
DS1 Update: beat Ornstein and Smough. Easily the hardest boss yet. I died three times before deciding that summoning Solaire wasn't worth it as the extra health makes the duo too hard to deal with for me. The run back to the boss arena didn't make things easier, it's long and the giant knights on the way are difficult to dodge. So I decided to fight alone and managed to kill Ornstein first. I think this dual boss would be a lot easier if it was put as it is in DS3 because the player's character is a lot more agile. Here, every move counts, you commit to it and get punished badly for fighting in a thoughtless manner. Swinging a heavy sword didn't help either.

So I arrived before Gwynevere (BOOBA!) and while I've known her for years I had never heared the track that plays in her room so that was a big surprise for me. That music is fantastic! It's like a reward for having come this far. The other reward of course is being able to warp to previous bonfire, not all of them but that's fine. Gaining the ability to do this is very satisfying after playing for so long with a lot of backtracking. Overall I enjoyed Anor Londo a lot even though it felt a bit empty.

Unfortunately I hit Solaire by accident in the Undead Parish and now he has gone hostile. Apparently the guy with the crazy laugh at the bell tower can absolve my sin but it's gonna cost me a lot...

Last edited:

DelireMan7

DS1 Update: beat Ornstein and Smough. Easily the hardest boss yet. I died three times before deciding that summoning Solaire wasn't worth as the extra health makes the duo too hard to deal with for me. The run back to the boss arena didn't make things easier, it's long and the giant knights on the way are difficult to dodge. So I decided to fight alone and managed to kill Ornstein first. I think this dual boss would be a lot easier if it was put as it is in DS3 because the player's character is a lot more agile. Here, every move counts, you commit to and get punished badly for fighting in a thoughtless manner. Swinging a heavy sword didn't help either.

So I arrived before Gwynevere (BOOBA!) and while I've known her for years I had never heared the track that plays in her room so that was a big surprise for me. That music is fantastic! It's like a reward for having come this far. The other reward of course is being able to warp to previous bonfire, not all of them but that's fine. Gaining the ability to do this is very satisfying after playing for so long with a lot of backtracking. Overall I enjoyed Anor Londo a lot even though it felt a bit empty.

Unfortunately I hit Solaire by accident in the Undead Parish and now he has gone hostile. Apparently the guy with the crazy laugh at the bell tower can absolve my sin but it's gonna cost me a lot...
Congrats on the progress.
Ornstein and Smough is really a tough battle.
Trivia : Depending on who you kill second you get different reward. I usually go for Ornstein second because I prefer his weapon and armor (and the ring can be nice).

Sad for Solaire. Yes you can absolve your sin with Oswald at the bell tower. The cost is proportional to your level (500 x your level).

DS1 Update: beat Ornstein and Smough. Easily the hardest boss yet. I died three times before deciding that summoning Solaire wasn't worth as the extra health makes the duo too hard to deal with for me. The run back to the boss arena didn't make things easier, it's long and the giant knights on the way are difficult to dodge. So I decided to fight alone and managed to kill Ornstein first. I think this dual boss would be a lot easier if it was put as it is in DS3 because the player's character is a lot more agile. Here, every move counts, you commit to and get punished badly for fighting in a thoughtless manner. Swinging a heavy sword didn't help either.

Have you avenged a certain maiden yet? Also, there is a reason Anor Londo feels empty. Do not be deceived by cleavage. Venture below the cathedral with spiral staircase to find the perpetrator of this deception.

Soodanim

I may have asked this before, but do you fight unlocked? The full 360 rolling combined with the slower nature of 1 makes it far more viable than in later games. I got better at the game/found it easier when I stopped locking on so much. It's definitely a benefit when fighting O&S and other encounters with multiple enemies.

Congrats on getting through O&S, that's a stopping point for plenty in DS1.

Congrats on the progress.
Ornstein and Smough is really a tough battle.
Trivia : Depending on who you kill second you get different reward. I usually go for Ornstein second because I prefer his weapon and armor (and the ring can be nice).

Sad for Solaire. Yes you can absolve your sin with Oswald at the bell tower. The cost is proportional to your level (500 x your level).
I'm level 60 so I had to pay 30,000 souls. Oswald's laugh is freaking hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Have you avenged a certain maiden yet? Also, there is a reason Anor Londo feels empty. Do not be deceived by cleavage. Venture below the cathedral with spiral staircase to find the perpetrator of this deception.
Do you mean the mute Firekeeper? If so, I already killed Lautrec before cause I don't like that he kills her. His ring is super handy too.

I went down to the hall with the assassins but nothing happens when I examine the painting...
I may have asked this before, but do you fight unlocked? The full 360 rolling combined with the slower nature of 1 makes it far more viable than in later games. I got better at the game/found it easier when I stopped locking on so much. It's definitely a benefit when fighting O&S and other encounters with multiple enemies.

Congrats on getting through O&S, that's a stopping point for plenty in DS1.
I always fight locked on, and that's sometimes a hassle, for example against the big knights I would often go for an R2 attack as they move, but my character doesn't follow them automatically, so I end up hitting the ground. Basically I'm more locked on the direction where I initiate my attack. I should try fighting locked off.

By the way is the Claymore a better weapon than the Zweihander? It's faster to use for sure. But titanites don't fall from the sky and I'm not even sure if I can find other Large Embers to upgrade to +10 and beyond.

Soodanim

Do you mean the mute Firekeeper? If so, I already killed Lautrec before cause I don't like that he kills her. His ring is super handy too.
He doesn't, but congrats on what is affectionately known as the fap ring.
I went down to the hall with the assassins but nothing happens when I examine the painting...
You need a particular ring equipped. Explore the catacombs beyond the Graveyard at Firelink now that you can warp!
I always fight locked on, and that's sometimes a hassle, for example against the big knights I would often go for an R2 attack as they move, but my character doesn't follow them automatically, so I end up hitting the ground. Basically I'm more locked on the direction where I initiate my attack. I should try fighting locked off.
I recommand retreading easy ground like Undead Parish, it's a good place to get used to the general gameplay of unlocked combat. Be careful that the vertical camera position does vertically aim to some degree, which can either help or hinder your swings.
By the way is the Claymore a better weapon than the Zweihander? It's faster to use for sure. But titanites don't fall from the sky and I'm not even sure if I can find other Large Embers to upgrade to +10 and beyond.
It's definitely a personal choice, but now you can warp you can at least get Large Shards (from the smith in Anor Londo) and perhaps you could take the Claymore in an elemental direction to give you some variety.

edit: Andre of Astora might give you advice on which path might be particularly useful at some point, but in case he doesn't: Divine.

Last edited:
I'm level 60 so I had to pay 30,000 souls. Oswald's laugh is freaking hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes, I meant Anastacia of Astora. To enter the painting you need to return to the beginning. Claymore is best one handed as it swings wide and stabs deep. It lacks some damage but has a better moveset. The sword dropped by the Silver Knights though is the true king unless you want a heavy thrust, which is arguably best with the long and fast Balder Side Sword (but everything else kind of looks wack).

Alright I'm done with Ariamis and the forest section leading to Sif. Ariamis is one of my favorite levels so far, loved the dark winter vibes, plus the level design was pretty neat, I liked that opening that gate led right back to the bonfire. Nice enemy variety too, and wow that poison dragon was unexpected. Those slimy dudes with spears and shield make for a nice grinding spot too. I also appreciated that you don't have to kill Priscilla, she is pretty chill and nice, but also ready to fight if she must. I left her alone and took the plunge back to Lordran. By the way what is that faint eerie music I can hear in one spot of the fortress (or castle)? It's not far from the shortcut gate and has an edge that you can fall from. There are some torch-wielding undead there.

Anyways, I opened the gate in Darkroot Forest and proceeded further. I like that there are various human(?) enemies that attack me, some of them seemingly ghosts. I made my way to Sif (amazing intro cutscene) and managed to beat him, but I felt bad for the doggo as it started limping towards the end of the fight. Maybe I shouldn't have killed him. Overall that area gave me very strong Shadow of the Colossus vibes, with the vegetation, dark sky, ruins, Sif being a colossal beast, and the PS3 graphics not being too far away from late PS2 era graphics...

Next stop: the Catacombs probably.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying NG+ on Elden Ring, it's the true easy mode lol. Cleared the Caria manor and will head down to the Siofra to meet Blaidd.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Alright I'm done with Ariamis and the forest section leading to Sif. Ariamis is one of my favorite levels so far, loved the dark winter vibes, plus the level design was pretty neat, I liked that opening that gate led right back to the bonfire. Nice enemy variety too, and wow that poison dragon was unexpected. Those slimy dudes with spears and shield make for a nice grinding spot too. I also appreciated that you don't have to kill Priscilla, she is pretty chill and nice, but also ready to fight if she must. I left her alone and took the plunge back to Lordran. By the way what is that faint eerie music I can hear in one spot of the fortress (or castle)? It's not far from the shortcut gate and has an edge that you can fall from. There are some torch-wielding undead there.

Anyways, I opened the gate in Darkroot Forest and proceeded further. I like that there are various human(?) enemies that attack me, some of them seemingly ghosts. I made my way to Sif (amazing intro cutscene) and managed to beat him, but I felt bad for the doggo as it started limping towards the end of the fight. Maybe I shouldn't have killed him. Overall that area gave me very strong Shadow of the Colossus vibes, with the vegetation, dark sky, ruins, Sif being a colossal beast, and the PS3 graphics not being too far away from late PS2 era graphics...

Next stop: the Catacombs probably.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying NG+ on Elden Ring, it's the true easy mode lol. Cleared the Caria manor and will head down to the Siofra to meet Blaidd.
Managed to cover some of the stand out moments of the game in one post. The human enemies in the woods that respawn are a popular low level farming group, there's a ledge you can stand on that fools their AI and they often run straight off a cliff. The phalanx of enemies in Ariamis is later farming spot!

Oh, Sif. From found a great way to make players feel bad. Do you know any of the lore surrounding him yet? There's slightly more to say, but only after you're finished the full game (it needs context) if you won't be doing NG+. I hope no one spoils it with you saying so.

Forth

I absolutely love this game and think it's the best open world ever created.
But I had no idea about the deepness of the lore, I was watching recently Vattividya videos and was wondering is it all intentional by From Software or is it just all speculation?
I just can't believe the depth that all of this has been created and if so then that is truly unbelievable.

Soodanim

But I had no idea about the deepness of the lore, I was watching recently Vattividya videos and was wondering is it all intentional by From Software or is it just all speculation?
I just can't believe the depth that all of this has been created and if so then that is truly unbelievable.
It's a bit of both. Some is set in stone and just needs to be pieced together, other things aren't. Historically, they intentionally left things somewhat ambiguous and it's led to things like lore deep dives and years of speculation. The main difference with Elden Ring is that they got George R R Martin to help write the world's backstory.

The ambiguity helps them avoid writing themselves into a corner, so they have room for the DLC and/or sequels stories to freely be told.

Fromsoftware like having communities do the work and figure things out (both with messages in game and the lore), and it feels like they leaned extra hard into that this time round. A lot more ambiguity and untold stories.

Forth

Thanks for the reply, I'm finding it rather ingenius what From have done here with the lore especially with it being open world and the ability to go in any direction.
Definitely far more genius than what Nintendo did with TOTK and the tears system, personally I found that a mess.

This guy is better imo.

Came here to post this.

I love Vaati, but Tarnished Archaeologist goes beyond items descriptions and dialogues, in documentary-style videos that show you that a lot of things in the environments, which we don’t pay much attention to, from the architectural styles to statues and coffins, were put there deliberately.

Last edited:
Came here to post this.

I love Vaati, but Tarnished Archaeologist goes beyond items descriptions and dialogues, in documentary-style videos that show you that a lot of things in the environments, which we don’t pay much attention to, from the architectural styles to statues and coffins, were put there deliberately.
He has the perfect voice for his docu style, too.

DS1: Catacombs and Tombs of the Giants are done and dusted. This has been a harsh journey, but still not as harsh as the Depths and Blighttown combo imo.

I like the specifities of these two levels. The skeletons keep reviving until you find and kill the wizard that summons them. Not for the faint of heart or the underlevelled. I have no idea where to get a divine weapon (if somebody told me here, I already forgot haha) so I decided to just run past them and look for the wizard. I like that you can earn the right to make this area easier if you die and have to go through it again. Was there something similar in DS3 or ER? In any case, this wasn't visually very interesting but the cleveer level design made up for it.
The boss was a joke, a welcome reprieve after struggling to reach it--good thing I did Ariamis prior to this because I learned how to deal with the bonewheel skeletons before the boss area.

I like how the Tombs are pitch-black until you get the skull lantern. Franky I don't hold it against Patches for kicking down me there cause the items were worth the fall. So we're all good buddy. Funnily enough I already had a lantern but I don't remember where I got it, maybe I bought it from someone. This is like using Flash in Pokémon, which is pretty cool cause it makes sense. The blue lights that show you the way are very convenient and you won't see my complaining about that. It's hard enough to deal with the quadrupedal skeletons, these guys hit very hard and can take you by surprise. Not sure what the lady and two NPCs were doing in that hellpit but I dealt with the Hollow and later killed the NPC on the path outside. His Paladin set (found after defeating Nito) is really, really good, both in terms of stats and looks, so I'm gonna keep it.
Speaking of Nito, wow what a brutal fight. This dude has several attacks and undying sekeleton lackeys. I like his design. But I didn't like how miserably I was failing, so I looked around online and learned that you can survive his explosion attack with a good shield, so you stick to him to have the skeletons blown up temporarily in the process. Plus I don't have to deal with the blade coming out of the ground anymore, so that made the fight a lot easier. Yipee!

Thinking about going to New Londo now - about time....

Last edited:
DS1 update: Bed of Chaos felled *sigh of relief*

The Demon Ruins were okay. Ceaseless Discharge was easy thanks to a YouTube guide that shows you how to easily kill it, otherwise I can see myself struggling with it. I enjoyed killing the Capra demons and Taurus demons easily, it goes to show how strong I've become. But I swear the Capra demons are nowhere as aggressive as the boss. Demon Firesage was a joke too thankfully.

I looked up how to complete Solaire's quest because I wanted to see it through, especially after having worked to absolve myself, but mostly because I really don't see how I could've ever figured out how to keep him alive on my own. It's just too convoluted. I went back to Blighttown to get the poison mist spell and used it on the bug on the other side of the closed shortcut. I'm relieved that my bro is still alive.

Lost Izalith tough, HOLY SHIT. It's not too hard to explore and figure out the way forward. But wow. The demon centipede is a BAD boss. He wasn't hard but, really, what was the point? How is it meant to be fun?

And of course I died to the Titanite demon while carrying a big load of souls... this dude is harder than most bosses! And he respawns! Oh and those fire-breathing statues can go f--- themselves. Also, as if they weren't enough of a pain in the ass, I somehow got stuck between roots. Lmao. And the pyromancer almost killed me. Holy shit what a hellpit this is.

But you know what's the worst??? The Bed of Chaos AND the run back to it after I die. Several minutes to reach it! What a waste of time. Godammn it. Worst runback I went through in three games. Jesus I still can't believe it. What were they thinking? The gimmick of bed of Chaos is fine in theory but in practice I don't have a single moment to do ANYTHING. Fell and died multiple times, and every time I have to do that stupid runback again. And when I don't fall I get hit and die. WORST BOSS easily. Not because it's hard, but because you are almost not allowed to do anything. The fact that you don't have to redo all three parts of the fight every time shows that Fromsoftware knew that this boss was just too much. Maybe with more dev time they could have made it, you know, actually fun. I'm so glad I'm done with this.

thuGG_pl

So I started my third playgthrough and I have a problem.
Seems like the input lag is massive and I don't know if it was like that before (I played over a year ago) or now I started noticing it.

It mostly involves dodging/rolling, seems like it reacts to input after 0.3-0.5s. Sometimes it straight up doesn't register a dodge and I'm fucked.
I fought Tree Sentinel just before and for example I was waiting on his attack while moving backwards, when dodging also backwards many times it didn't react. I didn't have any inputs queued, just waiting and dodging. So many times it just doesn't register, sometimes it register but feels like slow motion.
Also I'm aware that dodge is also run button, but I'm not holding it, I click and release.

This feels so completely different to DS3 I finished couple of weeks ago it's mind boggling. Also I don't remember it like that from my previous playthroughs.

I'm on PC using Xbox wireless controller through Xbox wireless adapter (never had any issues),
FPS is rock solid 60. I tested the controller on some online tool and it reacts instantly (don't know if I can measure it somehow).
I don't have vsync on, gsync is on.

Am I crazy, was it always like that?

Last edited:
So I started my third playgthrough and I have a problem.
Seems like the input lag is massive and I don't know if it was like that before (I played over a year ago) or now I started noticing it.

It mostly involves dodging/rolling, seems like it reacts to input after 0.3-0.5s. Sometimes it straight up doesn't register a dodge and I'm fucked.
I fought Tree Sentinel just before and for example I was waiting on his attack while moving backwards, when dodging also backwards many times it didn't react. I didn't have any inputs queued, just waiting and dodging. So many times it just doesn't register, sometimes it register but feels like slow motion.
Also I'm aware that dodge is also run button, but I'm not holding it, I click and release.

This feels so completely different to DS3 I finished couple of weeks ago it's mind boggling. Also I don't remember it like that from my previous playthroughs.

I'm on PC using Xbox wireless controller through Xbox wireless adapter (never had any issues),
FPS is rock solid 60. I tested the controller on some online tool and it reacts instantly (don't know if I can measure it somehow).
I don't have vsync on, gsync is on.

Am I crazy, was it always like that?
Elden Ring is definitely more responsive than Dark Souls 3. Sounds like the priority of your controller adapter is superseded by something else running on your system. You need to check whether the issue is exclusive to Elden Ring with something else very demanding.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Elden Ring is definitely more responsive than Dark Souls 3. Sounds like the priority of your controller adapter is superseded by something else running on your system. You need to check whether the issue is exclusive to Elden Ring with something else very demanding.
As I said, no problem with DS3, problem with ER. Definetly feels more sluggish than DS3.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I like that you can earn the right to make this area easier if you die and have to go through it again. Was there something similar in DS3 or ER?
If only.

Imagine From pulling a Sif in their latest games. Nope, how about anything with a big health bar gets even angrier and hits way harder when at half health. It's those little touches that made Dark Souls legendary.

Last DS1 update: I beat this game. Had a great time with it and now I understand what made it so impatcful more intimately than just watching YouTubers explain it.

New Londo was nice, I liked that you need to use an item to hit the ghosts. Naturally, I failed to figure out that I needed to equip that ring to be able to jump into the abyss. Again, I don't see how I could have quickly realized this without a guide, I would've gotten stuck.

I enjoyed the Duke's Archives a lot, just like the Grand Archives in DS3. Great level layout and the turning staircases were a clever idea. I was surprised to die in an unwinnable battle against Seath and respawn in a cell. Great idea! The Bloodborne-esque creatures were unexpected too, thankfully they're not very tough. But it was funny that the serpent wardens climbed the stairs with me. That whole section was very unique and fun to go through. The Crystal Cave, though, was not. Walking on invisible pathways would have been more satisfying if the prism stones stayed there after I die... but I liked the visuals in that area. Seath wasn't very hard too.

I've known about the Ash Lake for years but I didn't know about the music that plays there, very daunting, that was a cool surprise. I also didn't expect the hydra to fly over me, it was impressive and Shadow-of-the-Colossus-esque but for some reason it just died on its own. Suit me fine. Also I followed a guide to complete Siegmeyer's quest, I almost failed to keep his health above 50% against the chaos eaters despite me killing three of them beforehand. I'm glad that I saw his adventure through to the end.

I went to do the DLC and it's one of my favorite sections in the game. Love the vibes of the sanctuary, the forest and the ruins. Artorias was tough but after fighting DS3 bosses he wasn't that hard. Great intro and moveset. Oh and the cutscene where the giant smith shoots the dragon was amazing. Again, he was tough but he is no Midir. The last section in the abyss was hard but not insufferable. Manus is a great boss too -- I feel that starting from the DLC, the boss design has become better. And bonfire become frequent, heralding what would become the standard in DS3 (don't know about DS2).

Gwyn was incredibly easy, granted I had Solaire with me (thank you sunbro!) but he went down too quickly. I don't mind. Still a cool fight. So that's the music that returns in DS3.

Overall the bosses are easier than DS3 and ER. What makes them hard is mostly the slow recovery and healing times. The real difficulty was finding your way in difficult areas or surviving a long path filled with enemies. The runbacks to bosses became particularly annoying towards the end of the game and I'm glad that subsequent games fixed that.

Best bosses: Sif - Artorias - Manus - Ornstein & Smough - Gwyn
Best areas: Anor Londo - the whole DLC

Alright so now I'm taking a break from Souls games to play Armored Core VI (when it gets delivered, which is gonna take some time). After that, next year I will tackle Bloodborne. The journey will continue!

Congrats. Your abyss ring trouble reminds me of the joke about the cryptic nature of FromSoft level design. It has a souls fan praising the lack of handholding in FromSoft games while having the Fextralife wiki open on another screen. Hard to imagine being the first person to discover some of this stuff.

DelireMan7

Naturally, I failed to figure out that I needed to equip that ring to be able to jump into the abyss. Again, I don't see how I could have quickly realized this without a guide, I would've gotten stuck.

Congrats. Your abyss ring trouble reminds me of the joke about the cryptic nature of FromSoft level design. It has a souls fan praising the lack of handholding in FromSoft games while having the Fextralife wiki open on another screen. Hard to imagine being the first person to discover some of this stuff.
funny because for me the Abyss Ring was obvious. If you read the description and listen the dialogs(especially Ingward in New Londo) it's pretty "clear" (Dark Souls clear let's say).

But definitely difficult/impossible to find everything on your own on your first run.
But the message system is there for a reason. For example, at least on release, there would be a message "Ring needed" just before the 4 kings.

funny because for me the Abyss Ring was obvious. If you read the description and listen the dialogs(especially Ingward in New Londo) it's pretty "clear" (Dark Souls clear let's say).

But definitely difficult/impossible to find everything on your own on your first run.
But the message system is there for a reason. For example, at least on release, there would be a message "Ring needed" just before the 4 kings.
To be fair Ingward was quite clear about it, but by the time I reached the abyss I had completely forgot about what he said.

It's funny because it's only last week that I subscribed to Nintendo Online to play some Pokémon matches, but I already beat Dark Souls so I missed the whole online component of the game. I can do without getting invaded though, haha.

I ran an experiment in Elden Ring as to whether or not a player can refuse a concord with Melina and beat the game without any mods or exploits. The answer is no. Even if you manage to get to Lyndell and beat Morgott it will be impossible to ascend the Grand Lift of Rold to the Mountain of the Giants because she holds the Rold Medallion. There is an exploit to wrong warp into Farum Azula and set up the finale. However, even if one manages to beat the final boss and gets teleported to the Round Table Hold (with 4th Talisman Pouch and Summoning Bell sold by Twin Maiden Husks) leveling the player up, leveling up the summons, and Torrent whistle will never be available to the player. Really makes one question why FromSoft even included the option...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Really makes one question why FromSoft even included the option...
I mean in context of the story Melina is not gonna force you but cant become Elden Lord without her help......even when you start the game Varré mocks you because you are maidenless.

Fake

I really hope we see something soon from Elden Ring DLC in VGA but also hope to god its not releasing on Feb 5th.....that month is stupid busy.

Probably at the Game Awards Show, as both Elden Ring and Armored Core was presented there. From Software made a deal showing their games there I guess.

I mean in context of the story Melina is not gonna force you but cant become Elden Lord without her help......even when you start the game Varré mocks you because you are maidenless.
In reality, wrong warp to Farum Azula to defeat Maliketh sets up the final 3 boss battles and player becomes Elden Lord. She also technically perishes when burning Erdtree in regular playthroughs.

Danjin44

In reality, wrong warp to Farum Azula to defeat Maliketh sets up the final 3 boss battles and player becomes Elden Lord. She also technically perishes when burning Erdtree in regular playthroughs.
But at start of game in our first time we dont know anything and dont have the power increase our own strength, Melina is the one that pushes us to the path to become Elden Lord.

Again in context of the story we need Melina, if we refuse we become just like any other tarnish wondering the world without purpose.

thuGG_pl

So I beat ER for the third time just now, unlocked 100% achievements.

My 3rd playghrough was different from first two, because I decided not to use any summons at all (except one boss sadly).
I focused on STR build two handing a Greatsword.
It went suprisingly easy, it was the fastest run - 112h (compared to over 150h for first two). Also it was the most complete run, with all the bosses done and all the quests. Most bosses died on first try, many tough bosses took a few tries.
I don't know if the game became easier thrugh the patches or I just got better after beating DS3 recently, or Greatsword is OP, maybe the combination of it all. Also I knew what to expect.

Having to fight without summons made me realise a few things that I didn't see before.
There are quite a few bosses that I think are poorly designed, I mean those bosses who are constantly running at you, don't have almost any pauses, read your heals etc. It just brakes this "dance" where you dodge in good moment, have a breath and a flask, then continue the dance. Here the flask animation is stupidly long, many times there is not a chance that you can actually heal. Plus the dodge itself is fucked in this game it has some weird delay, coming after DS3 it was night and day difference.
The standout bosses I mean are Crucible Knight (shielded one), Fullgrown Fallingstar Beast, Godfrey second phase, Radagon.
Also this overused delayed attacks on many of them is simply not fun, it throws off the pacing of the fight and pleasure from it. I had way more fun with DS3 bosses.

And there is Malenia, which I don't think can be beaten by me without summons, and without some specific build/trick specially for her. With my Greatsword I tried maybe 50 times but didn't get anywhere. I tried various Mixed Physic flasks, ashes of war, etc. But I didn't want to change competely my build just for her. This is not a fair boss in my view. Her whirlwind is BS, at first I thought I will just run away from it, but it has 3 phases and ich phase jumps at you from half of the map. At some point I realised that even if I managed to beat her it would be pure luck, and not because I was getting better. So I used summon for her and she died on first try.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

So I beat ER for the third time just now, unlocked 100% achievements.

My 3rd playghrough was different from first two, because I decided not to use any summons at all (except one boss sadly).
I focused on STR build two handing a Greatsword.
It went suprisingly easy, it was the fastest run - 112h (compared to over 150h for first two). Also it was the most complete run, with all the bosses done and all the quests. Most bosses died on first try, many tough bosses took a few tries.
I don't know if the game became easier thrugh the patches or I just got better after beating DS3 recently, or Greatsword is OP, maybe the combination of it all. Also I knew what to expect.

Having to fight without summons made me realise a few things that I didn't see before.
There are quite a few bosses that I think are poorly designed, I mean those bosses who are constantly running at you, don't have almost any pauses, read your heals etc. It just brakes this "dance" where you dodge in good moment, have a breath and a flask, then continue the dance. Here the flask animation is stupidly long, many times there is not a chance that you can actually heal. Plus the dodge itself is fucked in this game it has some weird delay, coming after DS3 it was night and day difference.
The standout bosses I mean are Crucible Knight (shielded one), Fullgrown Fallingstar Beast, Godfrey second phase, Radagon.
Also this overused delayed attacks on many of them is simply not fun, it throws off the pacing of the fight and pleasure from it. I had way more fun with DS3 bosses.

And there is Malenia, which I don't think can be beaten by me without summons, and without some specific build/trick specially for her. With my Greatsword I tried maybe 50 times but didn't get anywhere. I tried various Mixed Physic flasks, ashes of war, etc. But I didn't want to change competely my build just for her. This is not a fair boss in my view. Her whirlwind is BS, at first I thought I will just run away from it, but it has 3 phases and ich phase jumps at you from half of the map. At some point I realised that even if I managed to beat her it would be pure luck, and not because I was getting better. So I used summon for her and she died on first try.
Should of kept trying on Malenia, first time I solod her with my hammies it took 5 hours but it was a blast. 2nd time with the Twinblades took 3 and I plan to do it again after Shadow drops.

thuGG_pl

Should of kept trying on Malenia, first time I solod her with my hammies it took 5 hours but it was a blast. 2nd time with the Twinblades took 3 and I plan to do it again after Shadow drops.
I didn't think I'm having a blast with her at any point of the time. I tried enaugh to realise that she is just a BS boss thrown in because just for shits and giggles.

DelireMan7

On my first playthrough, I tried for around 20h to beat her solo conserving my build (Strength with some incantations). Well it was not at all satisfying. I had to add the OP "Bloodhound step" to avoid her Waterfowl attack (AKA "fuck you I win" attack) and just for that it was not a pleasure for me.
She also gets some weird stagger (sometimes she's staggered, sometimes not...).
I could enjoy it without the Waterfowl attack. But with it, my chance of winning are heavily tie to how much she wants to use this attack. I know it's dodgeable but with a very specific pattern.

Very frustrating to be able to deal with every move of her moveset but always get kill but the Waterfowl...
I didn't think I'm having a blast with her at any point of the time. I tried enaugh to realise that she is just a BS boss thrown in because just for shits and giggles.
Basically this for me.
First time, I don't appreciated a boss fight of this type ("Oppressive opponent with sword" like).
There is a lot of very oppressive bosses in the game but once you understand the flow of the fight you can find some rest time to heal or attack.
It's the same with Malenia but she has her "Fuck you I win " attack which throw all the fun away.

MagnesD3

On my first playthrough, I tried for around 20h to beat her solo conserving my build (Strength with some incantations). Well it was not at all satisfying. I had to add the OP "Bloodhound step" to avoid her Waterfowl attack (AKA "fuck you I win" attack) and just for that it was not a pleasure for me.
She also gets some weird stagger (sometimes she's staggered, sometimes not...).
I could enjoy it without the Waterfowl attack. But with it, my chance of winning are heavily tie to how much she wants to use this attack. I know it's dodgeable but with a very specific pattern.

Very frustrating to be able to deal with every move of her moveset but always get kill but the Waterfowl...

Basically this for me.
First time, I don't appreciated a boss fight of this type ("Oppressive opponent with sword" like).
There is a lot of very oppressive bosses in the game but once you understand the flow of the fight you can find some rest time to heal or attack.
It's the same with Malenia but she has her "Fuck you I win " attack which throw all the fun away.
Idk Bloodhound Step is incredibly fun, it was an OP defensive Ability but there are a ton of op abilities and your fighting a broken bitch lol. If I could change one thing in the fight I would have her give a vocal tell when she starts up Waterfowl that way you almost always can run away as is its very hard to react to it fast enough in combat.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Idk Bloodhound Step is incredibly fun, it was an OP defensive Ability but there are a ton of op abilities and your fighting a broken bitch lol. If I could change one thing in the fight I would have her give a vocal tell when she starts up Waterfowl that way you almost always can run away as is its very hard to react to it fast enough in combat.
I think the Waterflow is telegraphed very clearly. But it doesn't change a fucking thing if it can close the distance that it does. If they could half the speed/distance she jump to you during Waterflow, then it would be managable.
Other thing that I found is that you can negate most of the damage just by rolling into Waterfall and being in the sphere of it, but this depends on how much stamina you have when she initates it and is very unreliable.

MagnesD3

I think the Waterflow is telegraphed very clearly. But it doesn't change a fucking thing if it can close the distance that it does. If they could half the speed/distance she jump to you during Waterflow, then it would be managable.
Other thing that I found is that you can negate most of the damage just by rolling into Waterfall and being in the sphere of it, but this depends on how much stamina you have when she initates it and is very unreliable.
I dont she has a move where she rises very similarly, its incredibly hard to tell the two apart fast enough to escape when you are doing offense, if I had something to differentiate like a sound que id be set.

Last edited:
I miss the pre-nerf Bloodhound Step...
40Oz Pour One Out GIF

P.S. Also, outside of some buff stacking heavies, jump attacks, magics, incantations, and skills there are quite a few bosses that are unmanageable without summons. I still hate many of DS3 bosses infinitely more. If you can deal with Dancer's spinning attacks you can surely deal with Melenia's Waterfowl Dance. I actually hate her second phase much more despite its absence.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I dont she has a move where she rises very similarly, its incredibly hard to tell the two apart fast enough to escape when you are doing offense, if I had something to differentiate like a sound que id be set.
I personally found solution to how defend her Waterflow attack even she is close to me. Her Waterflow has three waves, I block the first wave with the shield and then dodge other two wave, they have less tracking compare to first wave.

But you have to make sure you have a good stamina and its full when she starts her attack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom