• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

8LGs.gif
chika-ban-gif-chika.gif

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Also, is it worth upgrade spirit ashes? So far I have been using Demi humans a lot and upgraded them to level 3 but I actually don’t know if that’s a good choice. Is it worth it to do more?

Artoris

Gold Member
Also, is it worth upgrade spirit ashes? So far I have been using Demi humans a lot and upgraded them to level 3 but I actually don’t know if that’s a good choice. Is it worth it to do more?
upgrade them as much as you can you will use a different items to upgrade better spirit ashes

Sorry, I didn’t mean leveling. I mean what type of stone to use. I’m using regular smithing ones
If you can change Ash of War on a weapon it uses regular smithing stones regardless of affinity. If you started as a samurai, you can pick up another uchi in Deathtouched Catacombs in Stormhill. If you imbue two with cold or bleed it would be optimal. You do it by choosing ash of war and having the correct whetblade for affinity.

It is worth upgrading if you acquire a good summon. Demi humans are not good. In contrast, Mimic Tear is the best with only a few others in its league.

Last edited:
Update from Cainhurst Castle. Man, Logarius is really tough - I'll come back to him later.

I just beat Rom and wow what a creepy fella. Killing the spiders slowly and patiently made the fight a lot easier. The advent of the blood moon and the changing color of the sky ramped up the discomfort of an already creepy enough setting.

Overall, I love this game. No big complaints for me. Except maybe that I don't like that Blood Vials cost more echoes as you progress through the game. Farming echoes to buy vials is already tedious enough. The bosses are manageable for the most part so far, except the Shadows of Yharnam, those are some really strong guys. Beating them was very satisfying.

Oh and I absolutely love Ludwig's Holy Blade. It hits hard and is so cool. Looking forward to the DLC weapons too.

7X7Za37.jpg

It looks like I'm gonna finish Bloodborne before the Elden Ring DLC comes out...

Update from Cainhurst Castle. Man, Logarius is really tough - I'll come back to him later.

I just beat Rom and wow what a creepy fella. Killing the spiders slowly and patiently made the fight a lot easier. The advent of the blood moon and the changing color of the sky ramped up the discomfort of an already creepy enough setting.

Overall, I love this game. No big complaints for me. Except maybe that I don't like that Blood Vials cost more echoes as you progress through the game. Farming echoes to buy vials is already tedious enough. The bosses are manageable for the most part so far, except the Shadows of Yharnam, those are some really strong guys. Beating them was very satisfying.

Oh and I absolutely love Ludwig's Holy Blade. It hits hard and is so cool. Looking forward to the DLC weapons too.

7X7Za37.jpg

It looks like I'm gonna finish Bloodborne before the Elden Ring DLC comes out...
If you have beaten Pthumeru Root Chalice, you can use chalice glyph "cummfpk" to never farm for bullets or blood vials again. If you stand by the statue on the left past the first door, there is an enemy that gets killed by the environment and drops ~80,000 Blood Echoes.

Last edited:
Thorny Cracked Tear in Consecrated Snowfield (end game Avatar boss) to make consecutive attacks stronger. It works even better with dual uchi build mentioned earlier. The other one is mostly situational. Twiggy Cracked Tear in Lyndell (inside outer wall to the North) to return echoes upon death is a good one.

Last edited:
Ah, finally. Exactly what I was expecting. Everything looks amazing--love the veil motif. That flower field is beautiful. There's a good bunch of new enemies and NPCs. New weapons and ashes of war too. Can't wait to hear what the lore hunters on YouTube have to say. I'll get this on day 1. Plenty of time to finish Bloodborne and advance in my ER NG+1.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
In nokron, is there an easy way to beat the gargoyles? I can’t seem to even get close. My uchi isn’t cutting it.

Also, how do you dual wield?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In nokron, is there an easy way to beat the gargoyles? I can’t seem to even get close. My uchi isn’t cutting it.
You mean the fight with two gargoyles? Yeah those guys can be pain escpially they keep vomiting poison, bring strong strong sprite summon so one get busy fighting one them while focus on other one.

Also, how do you dual wield?
When wield two weapon in same class.

Danjin44

I'm going to find the time to replay this from top to bottom before SotE drops.
I want to do that as well but I cant get the time, there so many games coming out back to back.....its been crazy!

May seems like good month to do this since its dry month for me.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I want o do that but I get the time, there os many games coming out back to back.....its been crazy!

May seems like good month to do this since its dry mont for me.

May sounds ideal I think for me too, a month or so before release so it stays fresh in my mind! There's too much to play and so little time, but that's why I limit my purchases lately. I realised I was buying too many games and not actually playing them all, now I only purchase just the essentials.

The Gargoyles are immune to all status effects and resistant to all elements. The best you can do is find a special weapon with a hard hitting skill or one with good strike damage. (Uchi is slash.) For example, Envoy Longhorn shreds them with bubbles, wild strikes on Giant Crusher stun them, etc. Another route is Night Maiden's Mist (14 Int) spell bought from Gowry in Caelid after completing Millicent needle quest.

P.S. For your build equiping Bloody Slash ash of war (Fort Haight by Mistwood) with Sharp attunement Keen affinity could be enough to give you the edge.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The Gargoyles are immmune to all status effects. The best you can do is find a special weapon with a hard hitting skill or good strike damage. (Uchi is slash.) For example, Envoy Longhorn shreds them with bubbles, wild strikes on Giant Crusher stun them, etc.
In my INT/SRT build Dark Moon Greatsword worked great against them, they might be immune to frost but its ash of war ability does lot of pois damage.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You mean the fight with two gargoyles? Yeah those guys can be pain escpially they keep vomiting poison, bring strong strong sprite summon so one get busy fighting one them while focus on other one.

When wield two weapon in same class.
Sorry, I meant 2 hand. I can’t seem to get to happen on ps5

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The Gargoyles are immmune to all status effects and resistant to all elements. The best you can do is find a special weapon with a hard hitting skill or one with good strike damage. (Uchi is slash.) For example, Envoy Longhorn shreds them with bubbles, wild strikes on Giant Crusher stun them, etc. Another route is Night Maiden's Mist (14 Int) spell bought from Gowry in Caelid after completing Millicent needle quest.

P.S. For your build equiping Bloody Slash ash of war (Fort Haight by Mistwood) with Sharp attunement could be enough to give you the edge.
Mine is currently on keen. I assume that’s wrong?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
After dying to the gargoyles a million times I decided to poke around the capital. It’s awesome but god is it hard. The knights just destroy me haha. I literally just run away from them. I’m not doing it right I’m sure.

I finally worked my way up to Godfrey and beat him after a few tries. Wasn’t too bad.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Another post… there is a huge gate in the capital that is open (was closed) now but it says sealed by Morgott the grace given. What am I doing wrong?

Danjin44

Another post… there is a huge gate in the capital that is open (was closed) now but it says sealed by Morgott the grace given. What am I doing wrong?
Are you talking about underground in leyndell after you beat Mohg's clone?

You need to beat Morgott which is Margit's true name.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Are you talking about underground in leyndell after you beat Mohg's clone?

You need to beat Morgott which is Margit's true name.
I just fought a king dude and beat him with some summons… they were incredible. Just awesome.

Now I have a red mark on my map.

I have not faced the clone yet at all. No idea where that is.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Dont worry about that unless you are going for frenzied flame ending.
Saw the one duder that fought a dragon with me on the mountain pass. Sounds like he’s had a bad time. He mentioned that. I want to find out what he is talking about.

This is tough holy smokes. The enemies are worse than bosses.

TheStam

I played about half of this before my old Steam Deck died, now picking it up with a new character again with the OLED, still can't believe this is possible handheld.

This game though, I'm just amazed by what an achievement it is, the sheer size and feeling of constant discovery as well as enemy and weapon / skill variety.

Currently making my way through Atlus Plateau with my Strength / Faith dude. I feel a little bit stuck with the Golden Halberd, it's just too good and haven't found anything to challenge it yet. I prefer the movesets of swords generally. Love the Claymore which I'm mostly using and I've made it holy infused +13, but still the Golden halberd with Golden Vow art of war is just so damn strong. Heard there are great options later on, hopefully not right at the end.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I played about half of this before my old Steam Deck died, now picking it up with a new character again with the OLED, still can't believe this is possible handheld.

This game though, I'm just amazed by what an achievement it is, the sheer size and feeling of constant discovery as well as enemy and weapon / skill variety.

Currently making my way through Atlus Plateau with my Strength / Faith dude. I feel a little bit stuck with the Golden Halberd, it's just too good and haven't found anything to challenge it yet. I prefer the movesets of swords generally. Love the Claymore which I'm mostly using and I've made it holy infused +13, but still the Golden halberd with Golden Vow art of war is just so damn strong. Heard there are great options later on, hopefully not right at the end.
Is faith the way to go? It seems lots of people like it. I’m thinking of doing a faith build with the coded sword.

TheStam

Is faith the way to go? It seems lots of people like it. I’m thinking of doing a faith build with the coded sword.

I'm still quite early, but I really like the support spells for buffing, healing and dealing with stuff like poison and rot. And you also get good damage spells.

Faith has holy damage, but also fire and lightning and if you do a strength hybrid you can do good physical damage as well. So even if I'm not at the end yet I don't think its a huge issue.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
im finding lots of somber stones. Are those better for weapons than going the regular weapons route? The uchigana might need a switch up!

im finding lots of somber stones. Are those better for weapons than going the regular weapons route? The uchigana might need a switch up!
You do not choose the upgrade material. If a weapon is unique with a fixed skill you always use somber stones. For the regular weapons that can have ash of war and affinity modifications you always use the regular smithing stones.

Top Bottom