• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

I played about half of this before my old Steam Deck died, now picking it up with a new character again with the OLED, still can't believe this is possible handheld.

This game though, I'm just amazed by what an achievement it is, the sheer size and feeling of constant discovery as well as enemy and weapon / skill variety.

Currently making my way through Atlus Plateau with my Strength / Faith dude. I feel a little bit stuck with the Golden Halberd, it's just too good and haven't found anything to challenge it yet. I prefer the movesets of swords generally. Love the Claymore which I'm mostly using and I've made it holy infused +13, but still the Golden halberd with Golden Vow art of war is just so damn strong. Heard there are great options later on, hopefully not right at the end.
My Golden Halberd run is probably my second favourite. Just enjoy it bro. It's a total beast.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Since the be all end all rumor that you need to have beaten Shardbearer Mog to access the DLC I managed to beat him this weekend.

Didn’t even know Moghwyn Palace was a thing but I used the teleporter in the western snowfields to reach it and then legit hauled ass through the surprisingly straightforward area to reach him.

Using my Mimic and maxed out Bloodhounds Fang I was able to get him on my fourth try. Wasn’t too bad at all aside from that move where he bleeds the hell out of you.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Volcano manor is pretty awesome. The send you on missions I’m not sure I wanted to do haha. Beat the putrid tree root too.

Then I found the hole in the one rooms wall… holy smokes is there so much hidden and to do.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The go-to pure strength weapon? The Greatsword with Giant's Hunt ash will get you through any situation .

For a dex build I'd use a cold-infused uchigatana.
Why is that? Can you elaborate on them a touch please? I find myself constantly getting owned by bad guys and need to figure it out. I’m using the samurai armour if that’s any good. I’m level 82 and have beaten a fair number of guys but I’m having huge issues with the same valiant gargoyles!

manlisten

Since the be all end all rumor that you need to have beaten Shardbearer Mog to access the DLC I managed to beat him this weekend.

Didn’t even know Moghwyn Palace was a thing but I used the teleporter in the western snowfields to reach it and then legit hauled ass through the surprisingly straightforward area to reach him.

Using my Mimic and maxed out Bloodhounds Fang I was able to get him on my fourth try. Wasn’t too bad at all aside from that move where he bleeds the hell out of you.

Are you me? LOL, did the same thing this weekend. Same weapon and spirit ash, haha.

Bartski

Gold Member
pJhPnoJ.jpg

Why is that? Can you elaborate on them a touch please? I find myself constantly getting owned by bad guys and need to figure it out. I’m using the samurai armour if that’s any good. I’m level 82 and have beaten a fair number of guys but I’m having huge issues with the same valiant gargoyles!
Well the Greatsword will put out huge damage and stagger enemies reliably. Its jumping attack is especially good. You have to spec purely into strength, though - but do add some points into faith (15? It's been a while...) for the Flame, Grant me Strength incantation, which you should be casting all the time. If you're traditionally a dex user then you'll have to get used to either standing back and waiting for the opportune moments to take a swing, or making the calculation that you'll survive getting in there and trading blows.

Cold ichi will frostbite many enemies with consecutive, quick hits, slowing them and making them more susceptible to damage. I'm not sure you can do that to the gargs, though. I'd come back to them later; they're a total pain.

Last edited:
How anyone could make it here with sl1 is beyond me. I’m 82 and getting killed constantly.
All it takes to get there is bridge hopping into Liurnia, grabbing the key guarded by the dragon, going inside the Magic Academy, descending to the bottom with elevator wheel, getting totaled by Iron Maiden to get to Mansion, jumping smallest gap into lava, cheesing Godskin Noble, and getting to warp gate.

An alternative is Rya the Scout quest in Liurnia and either cave climb or medallion halves grab (Castle SouthEast of Mistwood and Castle in Dragonbarrow after warp gate by Third Marika Church). Joining Recusants and finding false wall in locked room precedes going down into lava and cheesing Godskin Noble. The rest is the same.

P.S. The best surviving skip is into Lyndell Capitol by using trap chest in Point of No Return Tower by Castle Morne and surviving elevator drop with Explosive Cracked Tear (acquired from Tree Avatar in Liurnia).

P.S.S. Getting there is mostly a matter of abusing checkpoints should a run to an objective be unsuccessful.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I really want to get the DLC but my character is fucked. I'm on NG+3 or 4. I really don't want to start the DLC at that high of level. Anyone know yet how the saves will work. (I'm intentionally on a media blackout so I haven't seen or read anything about it yet)

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
had a really good night last night. I FINALLY beat those damn gargoyles. My wife was making fun of me for how pumped I was. I then beat Rykard, Commander O’Neil, the god skin apostle at the bottom of Caild tower, turned the Linuria tower over and got through it, beat the apostle on its bridge, talked to Ranni, did 2 or 3 catacombs as well. It was a great night.

Now, to explore deep root and start cleaning out those erdtree bosses.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well the Greatsword will put out huge damage and stagger enemies reliably. Its jumping attack is especially good. You have to spec purely into strength, though - but do add some points into faith (15? It's been a while...) for the Flame, Grant me Strength incantation, which you should be casting all the time. If you're traditionally a dex user then you'll have to get used to either standing back and waiting for the opportune moments to take a swing, or making the calculation that you'll survive getting in there and trading blows.

Cold ichi will frostbite many enemies with consecutive, quick hits, slowing them and making them more susceptible to damage. I'm not sure you can do that to the gargs, though. I'd come back to them later; they're a total pain.
I actually moved to the cold ichi and it’s great. I like it very much so thank you.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I really want to get the DLC but my character is fucked. I'm on NG+3 or 4. I really don't want to start the DLC at that high of level. Anyone know yet how the saves will work. (I'm intentionally on a media blackout so I haven't seen or read anything about it yet)
Spoilers to respect the blackout, but what I've written is vague or assumed respectively.

First one comes from a translated interview (IIRC) and regards a new feature that is related to your concern:
I don't know any details, but there's apparently a new mechanic that will allow all these high level characters we've been making for all this time to still have a feeling of balance/progression. I get the impression it's made specifically for us who have NG+4 characters we may want to use. Maybe that fucked character is perfect.

Second is the assumed DLC entry point based on the trailer, for an idea of how fresh or not a character could be:
Miquella's egg, which means beating real Mohg. If true, that's near end-game scaling to even get to the entrance. Possible at lower levels, but I wouldn't want to attempt it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Spoilers to respect the blackout, but what I've written is vague or assumed respectively.

First one comes from a translated interview (IIRC) and regards a new feature that is related to your concern:
I don't know any details, but there's apparently a new mechanic that will allow all these high level characters we've been making for all this time to still have a feeling of balance/progression. I get the impression it's made specifically for us who have NG+4 characters we may want to use. Maybe that fucked character is perfect.

Second is the assumed DLC entry point based on the trailer, for an idea of how fresh or not a character could be:
Miquella's egg, which means beating real Mohg. If true, that's near end-game scaling to even get to the entrance. Possible at lower levels, but I wouldn't want to attempt it.
You're the man <3

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
What’s the best staff to use as an off hand? Or something I swap to from time to time but I use an uchi most of the time?

My stars are:
Vigor 37
Mind 18
Endurance 23
Strength 23
Dexterity 51
Intelligence 27
Faith 8
Arcane 8

Soodanim

Gold Member
What’s the best staff to use as an off hand? Or something I swap to from time to time but I use an uchi most of the time?

My stars are:
Vigor 37
Mind 18
Endurance 23
Strength 23
Dexterity 51
Intelligence 27
Faith 8
Arcane 8
Meteorite Staff is a very good staff, and the 30% boost to gravity sorceries is very nice. Its lack of upgrades means it's by default very good. It stays very good until later on in the mid-late game when upgrades and scaling mean other things can overtake it. But at 27 int, this will be a solid hitter with absolutely no investment necessary.

There are also others that give boosts to different spells, so it might depend on what you want to cast and if a 15/30% boost will swing it for you. I still say Meteorite though for sheer simplicity.

Yahzi

Neo Member
I'm being owned like crazy. I have the Blood hound sword at +4 - strength at 24, Dex at 26, Vitality at 32, mind and intelligence is at 9 both.

I went to Bestial Sanctum, I tried fighting the Black Winged Soldier demon. And my weapon attacks barely did any damage at all. Two swipes of his weapon and I was destroyed. Heck, his weapon also has a beam that basically almost one shots me.

It feels hopeless right now. Like I don't know if I need to buff my weapon or something. I'm not an expert souls player, but everything is so complicated to me.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Just to add, I see folks with crazy lightning buffs or frost buffs and they look like champions, I don't have anything like that. I don't even know where to start. I just have my Blood Fang at +4, just bleed build up.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm being owned like crazy. I have the Blood hound sword at +4 - strength at 24, Dex at 26, Vitality at 32, mind and intelligence is at 9 both.

I went to Bestial Sanctum, I tried fighting the Black Winged Soldier demon. And my weapon attacks barely did any damage at all. Two swipes of his weapon and I was destroyed. Heck, his weapon also has a beam that basically almost one shots me.

It feels hopeless right now. Like I don't know if I need to buff my weapon or something. I'm not an expert souls player, but everything is so complicated to me.

Are you talking about the Black Blade Kindred.
That is one of the hardest enemies in the game. Even at level 80-100, lot's of people have trouble defeating him.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Are you talking about the Black Blade Kindred.
That is one of the hardest enemies in the game. Even at level 80-100, lot's of people have trouble defeating him.
How would I dramatically improve on the damage? Try to get the weapon to +10? I don't know if it can scale higher than that.

Can I buff the weapon further with faith spells? Maybe I should I invest in faith. My damage right now is kinda not that great.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

Dude you are me from a few weeks ago. I was, and to a degree still am, where are now. It will get better I promise.

For me, pumping resources and time into upgrades on weapons was faster and more beneficial than level grinding

Where else are you at right now I regards to the main story?

That boss sucks too imo. I needed to use my mimic on it and that still took like 15 tries…

winjer

Gold Member
How would I dramatically improve on the damage? Try to get the weapon to +10? I don't know if it can scale higher than that.

Can I buff the weapon further with faith spells? Maybe I should I invest in faith. My damage right now is kinda not that great.

Yes, one way is to get the the weapon to +10.
Since you are using the bloodfang, it scales well with Dex (c). And moderately with strength (d). So put points into these.
The spell Bloodflame Blade, works very well with that weapon. It Drops by a Teardrop Scarab in the marshes northwest to Rose Church, in the southwest area of the lake.
The Bloodhound's Fang also has a very good Ashes of War, that deals 2 attacks and has a generous invulnerability window.
That weapon also has a great scaling with jump attacks. So you an run at an enemy and do a jump with strong attack will deal a lot of damage. The Claw Talisman ads 15% to jump attack damage (7.5% in pvp). It's in Stormveil Castle.
The Raptor's Black Feather also boost jum attacks by 10%. But it's further in the game, in the Sage Cave.
It can also be buffed with greases.
The heavy attack can deal a lot of poise damage. A lot of enemies will go into stagger with a couple of strong charged attacks. But it's slow to use.
Using it single hand, also increases damage. But then you cant use spells or shields.
Also, very important. A heavy weapon like that, uses a lot of stamina. So consider using the Green Turtle Talisman. This boosts stamina regen and it's extremely useful in combat. It is in the Summonwater Village.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Dude you are me from a few weeks ago. I was, and to a degree still am, where are now. It will get better I promise.

For me, pumping resources and time into upgrades on weapons was faster and more beneficial than level grinding

Where else are you at right now I regards to the main story?

That boss sucks too imo. I needed to use my mimic on it and that still took like 15 tries…

Haha. Well I've killed Godric, that's about it as far as major bosses go. Got to the Round Table. Not sure where I need to go next. I literally just went in random directions and getting killed left and right.

I stopped playing this game about 4 months ago because the game glitched at a particular point and so I uninstalled it which I'm regretting. Reinstalled again, game isn't glitching anymore, but I'm looking at the map and the places I've been and I'm finding it daunting - like, do I need to re-explore everything again? I just know I've killed Godric.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Yes, one way is to get the the weapon to +10.
Since you are using the bloodfang, it scales well with Dex (c). And moderately with strength (d). So put points into these.
The spell Bloodflame Blade, works very well with that weapon. It Drops by a Teardrop Scarab in the marshes northwest to Rose Church, in the southwest area of the lake.
The Bloodhound's Fang also has a very good Ashes of War, that deals 2 attacks and has a generous invulnerability window.
That weapon also has a great scaling with jump attacks. So you an run at an enemy and do a jump with strong attack will deal a lot of damage. The Claw Talisman ads 15% to jump attack damage (7.5% in pvp). It's in Stormveil Castle.
The Raptor's Black Feather also boost jum attacks by 10%. But it's further in the game, in the Sage Cave.
It can also be buffed with greases.
The heavy attack can deal a lot of poise damage. A lot of enemies will go into stagger with a couple of strong charged attacks. But it's slow to use.
Using it single hand, also increases damage. But then you cant use spells or shields.
Also, very important. A heavy weapon like that, uses a lot of stamina. So consider using the Green Turtle Talisman. This boosts stamina regen and it's extremely useful in combat. It is in the Summonwater Village.
Thank you for this. My only concern is finding spells given the ground I've already covered. :( Can I buy most spells if I need them? I've heard of lightning armament? Or do I have to explore to find all these spells? This game is massive.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Haha. Well I've killed Godric, that's about it as far as major bosses go. Got to the Round Table. Not sure where I need to go next. I literally just went in random directions and getting killed left and right.

I stopped playing this game about 4 months ago because the game glitched at a particular point and so I uninstalled it which I'm regretting. Reinstalled again, game isn't glitching anymore, but I'm looking at the map and the places I've been and I'm finding it daunting - like, do I need to re-explore everything again? I just know I've killed Godric.
My old save files remained intact, so I'm just picking up where I left off.

winjer

Gold Member
Thank you for this. My only concern is finding spells given the ground I've already covered. :( Can I buy most spells if I need them? I've heard of lightning armament? Or do I have to explore to find all these spells? This game is massive.

Seems like you are going on a dex/strenght build. So lightning spells are not a good way to go.
I recommend you use faith based spells to support. Like healing spells. One very useful is the Flame, Cleanse Me Incantation, especially when you get to poison and/or rot enemies.
Flame, Grant Me Strength is also very good to boost damage with a weapon like the bloodfang.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Seems like you are going on a dex/strenght build. So lightning spells are not a good way to go.
I recommend you use faith based spells to support. Like healing spells. One very useful is the Flame, Cleanse Me Incantation, especially when you get to poison and/or rot enemies.
Flame, Grant Me Strength is also very good to boost damage with a weapon like the bloodfang.
I guess I also want a cool looking weapon effect too. :) I want to look badass while I'm fighting these demons. Am I expecting too much? According to a quite search Electrify Armament works on faith, so if I pump some points into faith I could wield this bad boy and kick more ass with my current weapon?

winjer

Gold Member
I guess I also want a cool looking weapon effect too. :) I want to look badass while I'm fighting these demons. Am I expecting too much? According to a quite search Electrify Armament works on faith, so if I pump some points into faith I could wield this bad boy and kick more ass with my current weapon?

Elden Ring rewards specialization. Being a jack of all trades, master of none is not a good idea.
If you have to spend a lot of points into several attributes, your scaling will suffer. Pick 2 or 3 and go heavy on it.
With your current build, you should be spending on dex, stamina, health and a bit of strength.
With the list of spells I gave you, you only need a few extra points into faith and that's it.

Remember that you can eventually do another run as a mage.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It is huge…. Don’t forget to grab every crafting book you can.

You you doing a mage build or something different?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Elden Ring rewards specialization. Being a jack of all trades, master of none is not a good idea.
If you have to spend a lot of points into several attributes, your scaling will suffer. Pick 2 or 3 and go heavy on it.
With your current build, you should be spending on dex, stamina, health and a bit of strength.
With the list of spells I gave you, you only need a few extra points into faith and that's it.

Remember that you can eventually do another run as a mage.
Roughly, where does the soft cap hit? I ask as I see lots of stuff with requirements well into the 50s.

Soodanim

Gold Member

My advice is to use the map, choose a marker to place to remind you that you have unfinished business there, and come back much later. Grinding through a very hard boss when you're not ready just isn't worth the time or effort - if you're motivated to try you can take it on in NG+ or a new save file.

Roughly, where does the soft cap hit? I ask as I see lots of stuff with requirements well into the 50s.
50-55 is a common soft cap but it depends on the stat. There are specifics out there that are easy to find if you want, but for reference the last soft cap is usually 80 because ER expects you to level much much higher than previous games. You're probably referring to the top end Int spells, and dedicated Int builds will easily go 60+.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
That depends.
For example, the Bloodhound Fang scales well with Dex until level 80.
I wish I had explored weapons more at lower levels. I started with the uchi and stuck with it. I’m kinda of hoping to try some more out now. The weapon that mogh uses seems to be crazy op when using it’s weapon art.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I wish I had explored weapons more at lower levels. I started with the uchi and stuck with it. I’m kinda of hoping to try some more out now. The weapon that mogh uses seems to be crazy op when using it’s weapon art.
Imagine you're playing with super soakers and someone turns up with a fire hose. If it bleeds, Mohg's spear will have words with it.

I'm surprised I haven't done some group PvE fights just to try out how OP it is. Looks fun.

manlisten

Has anyone tried running with a mainly holy damage build and how far did it get you? I guess the biggest drawback is most shardbearers have very high holy damage resistance? Any other drawbacks? Seems more like a niche skill that you maybe want to use for specific enemy types.

Got the Inseparable Sword and the look of it plus the unique moveset have won me over. You can pretty much create the same weapon by putting its AoW on the {Banished} Knight’s Greatsword, but they just don’t look as cool, lol.

Feel kind of attached to this weapon, so going to see how far I get with it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Has anyone tried running with a mainly holy damage build and how far did it get you? I guess the biggest drawback is most shardbearers have very high holy damage resistance? Any other drawbacks? Seems more like a niche skill that you maybe want to use for specific enemy types.

Got the Inseparable Sword and the look of it plus the unique moveset have won me over. You can pretty much create the same weapon by putting its AoW on the {Banished} Knight’s Greatsword, but they just don’t look as cool, lol.

Feel kind of attached to this weapon, so going to see how far I get with it.

When you get to Farum Azula and Ephael, you are going to get your ass kicked.
Also, there aren't that many holy damage spells.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Now I know why I left Elden Ring.... trying to find somber stones at a particular number is a real bitch. Like I need somber stone 6 in order to upgrade my weapon, I can't use any somber stone. Now I have to try and find this stone and it could be anywhere on the map, this is one of the things that frustrate me in Elden Ring.

Also the entrance to Raya lucaria academy. I couldn't find the Glintstone key, I had to google the location. Other than that, I've made some decent-ish headway. Gone up 7 levels, killed a few bosses, but the whole searching for somber stone numbers is killing my enthusiusm otherwise I feel like I'm not dishing out enough damage.

winjer

Gold Member
Now I know why I left Elden Ring.... trying to find somber stones at a particular number is a real bitch. Like I need somber stone 6 in order to upgrade my weapon, I can't use any somber stone. Now I have to try and find this stone and it could be anywhere on the map, this is one of the things that frustrate me in Elden Ring.

Also the entrance to Raya lucaria academy. I couldn't find the Glintstone key, I had to google the location. Other than that, I've made some decent-ish headway. Gone up 7 levels, killed a few bosses, but the whole searching for somber stone numbers is killing my enthusiusm otherwise I feel like I'm not dishing out enough damage.

manlisten

When you get to Farum Azula and Ephael, you are going to get your ass kicked.
Also, there aren't that many holy damage spells

Yeah, those soldiers in Elphael are crazy resistant to holy. Although the undead enemies in Farum get shredded pretty easily.

Top Bottom