• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualsense Edge battery size is significant smaller, capacity 1050mAh (down from 1560mAh of normal Dualsense)

Shifty1897

Okay PlayStation now make the opposite version of this. Just a basic ass PS5 controller with a 4000 mAh battery so I can play more than twice without needing to charge.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Disappointing for sure for such an expensive controller, they could have done better. Maybe I'll wait for a revision, or buy.that 3rd party one that's about the same where u can move the sticks.

//DEVIL//

as if i needed another reason not to buy this.

Honestly I think the PS5 controller in general is the best controller. and it's the one I use for both my PS5 and PC.

But the asking price for this is way too much. and now with less battery? yeah, I am going to pass.

I mean, they even sell you replacement parts because they know it will drift lol.

Kupfer

Are batteries pretty linear in their length of time?

So if the newer battery is about 33% smaller, the game time will be 33% shorter?

They said battery life would be "moderately shorter". This is why I don't trust PR folks.

That is the question.

There are 2 possibilities:

Does Sony mean 33% shorter battery life by saying "moderately"? That would be bad.

Or has Sony managed to make the controller more efficient so that it comes close to the runtime of the regular DS despite 33% smaller battery? That would be good, since this efficiency could also be used in later revisions of the normal DS and would promise a longer battery life with the 1560mah battery.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still don’t know what was wrong with Xbox 360 style battery casing on the back of the controller.
There was ton of space for internals and the battery bump was not getting in way of my fingers.
And this way you could use AA, rechargables or play n charge kit. It was the best battery compartment. Easy and even fun to swap.
Xbox one is also good but doesn’t leave room for internal.
Dualsense and edge solutions serve no purpose to anyone. And the controller does not work wired if battery is broken or out

I heard that the higher end Teslas get worse mileage than the base model. Oh wait.

There are a number of EVs where the high performance version gets worse mileage than the lower spec. Also for ICE cars the high performance version always gets worse mileage than the lower spec model.

dotnotbot

Now where do we buy stick module replacements for when stick drift pops up?

stick-module-package

Last edited:

Allandor

1050 mAh that is even lower than one of my AA rechargeables and that inside there seems still to be bigger than one AA battery.
It is really baffling how they always find such low capacity integrated components while charging a premium price.

Godot25

Banned
Jesus.
Sony finds a way to cheap out even with 240€ controller.
Truly pathetic.

"But AA batteries sounds like something from 2006." Yeah, but it's way better solution than 1050mAh battery that will last 4 hours of play. I have playing sessions that are longer than 4 hours.

Last edited:

Soodanim

It's a shame, because this had the potential to be the ultimate controller, bringing together all of the best features we've seen in controllers. But between the price and this hefty compromise, I'm going nowhere near it.

I upgraded my DS4 battery with one double the capacity, going from ~1000mAh to 2000mAh. I find it very hard to believe that they are unable to source a big enough battery to be an improvement on the original, with this new battery essentially being the DS4's again (possibly worse).

Lol this controller is a fucking joke. I was hyped at first but the battery really kills it. The moment any other PS5 pro style controller gets the ability to turn on the system, I’ll be purchasing one. Not modded bullshit like the scuf though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully the bad press helps them prioritise what's important for v2.

I imagine it will get some heavy discounts over the year.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are a number of EVs where the high performance version gets worse mileage than the lower spec. Also for ICE cars the high performance version always gets worse mileage than the lower spec model.
Controller is not a car. There is nothing performance about it. It just got more buttons

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
1050 mAh that is even lower than one of my AA rechargeables and that inside there seems still to be bigger than one AA battery.
It is really baffling how they always find such low capacity integrated components while charging a premium price.

Was posting about this stuff in a thread about built in packs vs rechargeable batteries and was saying the same thing.

This battery has less than HALF the capacity of ONE of my 2450 mAh Eneloops pro AA's lol

👆 That thread. Glad to see other people in here that are VERY aware of the Eneloops lol..

Last edited:

oldergamer

I thought it was the same battery but just drained faster , but its both smaller and has higher drain? Ugh this was probably more about cutting internal costs then anything else.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Calling people sheep because some of us are willing to pay for the other features is pretty harsh

Not all of us are super concerned over the battery and personally I am happy to give battery life up for the added features on this controller

It strikes a great balance for some of us
Plus, getting stick drift or other issues you cannot quickly sort yourself on another $200 or so controller…

I think much ado is made about the battery life of these controllers.

I assume the form factor of these allows you to use the same wireless charging dock which is a huge win.

People would have been mad if you couldn't use the wireless charger they already bought as well.

I think there is some credence that at 200 dollars that they could have put in a replaceable battery slot, but the reality is that isn't nearly as convenient as simply putting it on the dock in between play sessions and you can take it apart if you actually need to replace the battery, which you probably only have to do once a generation.

You sacrifice premium build with a hatch and probably increase manufacturing times and thus cost as well.

Everything is a balance and every project has people who have their own priorities.

I guarantee you though people would have been far angrier if the pro controller needed its own charging dock

Now that they are in the pro controller business, the question becomes does the dual sense 2 have a different build? Which it likely will, so that will allow for a potentially larger battery in the next pro controller.

cHaOs667

Oh boy, the built-in battery is for me the biggest annoyance of the PS controller. I'm unable to game very often right now, but every time I must attach the cable or use one of my sons' controllers. It's sooooo much more convenient for me to pop in freshly charged eneloop batteries into my xbox controller.

And now seeing that the usual batter is even SMALLER than my replaceable eneloop batteries is a kind of sad joke. Eneloops have 2000 to 2500 mAh...

Almost half the cost of a PS5 but with marginally worse battery life than the standard controller.

And it's a 'PRO' controller too.

Utter fecking FAIL.

I mean, this should be a real lesson for you and others.

Why does the controller cost 200 dollars and the console costs 400 (digital)

The controller doesn't have residual income attached to it. It has to make its margin at sale.

Are these going to sell at the same rate as the regular dual sense? No. So to account for the R&D, new manufacturing line, and components, not to mention retail cut in many cases, it has to reach a certain margin.

Many times things are iterative based on the requirements of the project.

How do you keep the form factor the same, same or higher build quality, higher margin (which you have to do to justify it), more internal components, and have the same or bigger battery? You can't.

Something you also have to realize is this isn't the only option for a pro controller on PS5.

You can get a SCUF and guess what with the SCUF you have to remove the paddles on the back for it to fit. That's an annoying sacrifice, every time you want to charge your controller. It's the same price as the SCUF reflex but cheaper than the other SCUF's with some significant benefits as well.

You have to consider the market.

The PS5 has multiple pro controllers available, and this is marketed primarily at the PS5 community, but it is also a PC controller, mainly aimed at people who probably have a PS5 or play Sony games on PC, thus it needs to hit specific marks for the project.

A bigger battery is a nice to have. Magnetic sticks (that you can buy separately since this is modular) is a nice to have. Maintaining all the standard PS5 functionality was a higher priority for this controller.

That being said this is the first pro controller, we'll see what they do going forward on the PS6.

OZ9000

Banned
Eneloops are life! I LOVE them since the 360 days and with a couple of kids and a wife who games they are a life saver!
I rarely change the batteries in my Xbox One controller. My battery lasts 2 weeks despite semi regular use.

My PS4 and PS5 controllers on the other hand are absolutely garbage in terms of battery life.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You guys thought the paddles on the back were extra buttons but in fact they are manual generators. you constantly press them while playing to charge the small battery.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
2. It's a Pro Controller, majority of Pro audience will use it wired anyway to reduce input latency.
Meh, it's a mass market product. Sony expect non professionals to buy it, and not only that, that they'll be in the majority.

In general, I think manufacturers ought to be forced to allow easy replacement of batteries by consumers. It's a point of failure that doesn't need to be such a big problem and would reduce waste.

So everything about this Pro controller is a fail. $200, only two back buttons, and a smaller capacity battery. Seriously, if anyone wants to add back buttons to their controller, just use Xtremerate.com. Way fucking cheaper and you get four back buttons and they're easy installs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom