• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualsense Edge battery size is significant smaller, capacity 1050mAh (down from 1560mAh of normal Dualsense)

RCU005

This controller screams "poorly designed".
Hey, we have less room for a battery if we keep the same form factor of the Dualsense...ok, just use a smaller battery. Should we make it removable? Nah. Should we contract out a company to produce us a battery that fits our form factor without sacrificing the mah? Nah.

Hey, we use trash bargain bin analog sticks, should we use the superior Hall Sensing modules? Nah, just make them removable so we can make our customers replace them for 500x the cost we can source them for.

And they're charging how much for this thing? Highway robbery.

200w.gif
10000000000000000% agree with this. This was their line of thought.

sainraja

I would have preferred a longer battery life no question BUT I do like the controller (I got mine today). It is well made.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

My thoughts are that this isn't right for a controller that's $200.

However;
1. Since the shell is the same and you're adding additional hardware maybe they couldn't fit a bigger battery.
2. It's a Pro Controller, majority of Pro audience will use it wired anyway to reduce input latency.
How much of a difference does wiring actually make?

Arioco

This is just ridiculous. Battery life was by far the biggest flaw in the Dualsense and somehow they still managed to make it even worse for x3 the price. WTF?! They must be kidding us.

Freeza93

Banned
How much of a difference does wiring actually make?
nothing. its a myth. just like with wired mouse. unless you are a freaking super human there is no difference at all.

enabling v sync would be much worse, you feel that extra input lag instantly.

EDGE is too expensive sure but VR2? FOR WHAT YOU GET IT'S A STEAL!

Period.
Having to pay $1,000+ to pay one PS VR2 game.... idk if I would call that a steal. You can't even play PS VR1 games with it.
This is just ridiculous. Battery life was by far the biggest flaw in the Dualsense and somehow they still managed to make it even worse for x3 the price. WTF?! They must be kidding us.
People are willing to still buy it and they know that which is why they can get away with the crazy prices.

MikeM

Calling people sheep because some of us are willing to pay for the other features is pretty harsh

Not all of us are super concerned over the battery and personally I am happy to give battery life up for the added features on this controller

It strikes a great balance for some of us
Anytime I hear/see someone use the term sheep, I automatically think they also use words like soyboy, beta cuck, etc. Then throw out conspiracy theories.

As a consumer, you are speaking with your wallet. Keep doing what you want my man.

Max_Po

Banned
Just received mine. I think the battery on the DS is turd as it is ... does not bother me... I play all wired to pown noobs.

The presentation is fantastic. Great controller.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

However;
1. Since the shell is the same and you're adding additional hardware maybe they couldn't fit a bigger battery.
2. It's a Pro Controller, majority of Pro audience will use it wired anyway to reduce input latency.
They've perfected BT to the point where #2 is totally false.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm all for calling out Sony for being cheap, but where are they supposed to put the extra battery? That picture looks like they are space constrained. Not sure how you can call that cheap.

Also, if you're a real pro wouldn't you be playing tethered to the console via cable? Doesn't that make battery life not a big deal?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm all for calling out Sony for being cheap, but where are they supposed to put the extra battery? That picture looks like they are space constrained. Not sure how you can call that cheap.

Also, if you're a real pro wouldn't you be playing tethered to the console via cable? Doesn't that make battery life not a big deal?
Since they had to make a new shell to hold all of that custom crap they could have made the necessary changes to fit a battery of the same capacity. Like literally every other change they made this smaller battery was a conscious decision.

Dream-Knife

Banned
This is true, I wouldn't be surprised if Wireless is exactly the same if not faster but people will assume wired = better even though we see wireless Mice out there being used competitively and a preferred choice. Personally, I would use it wireless most of the time so the battery being smaller is a bummer as I have long ass gaming sessions. But at least there is a wire long enough so, it is what it is.
Those mice aren't running on bluetooth though.

Also, I believe PS4 had a latency penalty for going wired. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 ia the same way.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

However;
Wired does not reduce input latency.
I wonder if this one works wired without battery. Normal one does not

gothmog

Gold Member
Since they had to make a new shell to hold all of that custom crap they could have made the necessary changes to fit a battery of the same capacity. Like literally every other change they made this smaller battery was a conscious decision.
They made a conscious decision to keep the same form factor. The new/changed hardware made it impossible to use the same sized battery. Once again that's not cheap, that's just working within the limitations of the form factor. Cheap would be opening it up and realizing that it could fit a larger battery but having a smaller one.

I'm not buying one yet but it is more because I am waiting for some real world stories around use and reliability than something like battery capacity.

coffinbirth

nothing. its a myth. just like with wired mouse. unless you are a freaking super human there is no difference at all.

enabling v sync would be much worse, you feel that extra input lag instantly.
It's actually the opposite in most cases, depending on the controller and platform. It usually boils down to drivers.
DS4 and Switch Pro Controller, for example, have less latency wireless than wired. XBO S/Series controllers are faster wired over BT, and their own wireless protocol adapter.
DualSense is slower wired than wireless on PS5, but on PC you can overclock it's polling rate and have the fastest OEM controller available via USB, faster than current BT protocol.

It's a sliding scale.

Now, to your point, whether or not you can notice a difference or if it improves your inputs in a tangible way is something I won't argue. High level players with freakish eye to hand coordination would probably notice, but not 99% of players, if I had to guess.

For Sony to come out and suggest playing wired on PS5 as a "feature" that gives you an "edge" is blatant marketing horseshittery and a flat out LIE...but might technically be true on PC...via unsanctioned hacks, so suuuure, fine. Cool.

Gamerguy84

Well considering I have a birthday next month looks like a EDGE it is. I already have the PSVR2 coming but that's already planned for.

gothmog

Gold Member
It's actually the opposite in most cases, depending on the controller and platform. It usually boils down to drivers.
DS4 and Switch Pro Controller, for example, have less latency wireless than wired. XBO S/Series controllers are faster wired over BT, and their own wireless protocol adapter.
DualSense is slower wired than wireless on PS5, but on PC you can overclock it's polling rate and have the fastest OEM controller available via USB, faster than current BT protocol.

It's a sliding scale.

Now, to your point, whether or not you can notice a difference or if it improves your inputs in a tangible way is something I won't argue. High level players with freakish eye to hand coordination would probably notice, but not 99% of players, if I had to guess.

For Sony to come out and suggest playing wired on PS5 as a "feature" that gives you an "edge" is blatant marketing horseshittery and a flat out LIE...but might technically be true on PC...via unsanctioned hacks, so suuuure, fine. Cool.
Has anyone put out numbers on how this controller performs wired vs wireless? Seems like something that could be checked and called out easily.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is genuinely bullshit, fucking embarrassing.

All that time waiting for an awesome ps controller and they take the piss.

They'll be trying to say its better wired soon and wireless is last gen like when the six sense didn't have rumble lol

sainraja

I am currently using mine with Destiny 2 after fully charging it; I will share my personal experience with battery later but the only thing I don't really like are the extra sticks, they are all dome shaped. Only the sticks that come on by default are concave.

Funnily enough the new one looks about the size of 2 AAs... I have 2 2400 mAh LADDA batteries that have lasted about 30 hours of game time in my Series pad.

Your batteries are 1.2v, 2400mAh = 2.94 watts/h
This PS5 battery is 4.95v, 1050mAh = 5.19 watts/h

Your batteries wouldn't provide enough power

Last edited:
I would like to replace my DualSense batteries. Where did you get yours from and how long do they last? Also did you replace yourself? Thanks in advance!
Got mine from Amazon or eBay.
I play with everything enabled and with max rumble effect. Batteries last arround 15hours. If you disable the triggers and rumble you can get arround 20hours.

I replaced them on my own. Takes about 5-10minutes and It's super easy.

Neolombax

Just recently both my DS controllers experienced horrible drift (after 1 year), tried to repair one of them and made it worse. Went to a shop to buy a new DS and found out they had the Edge in stock. Bought the Edge instead, only for the fact that the sticks are modular. The batteries have a smaller capacity but I don't play games in long sessions anymore these days, so its a non factor for me. They also provide a longer controller cable with the Edge. I'm quite happy with the purchase thus far.

Tams

disgusting!

Greed on another level being displayed by Sony here.

Hope it bombs. But sadly we have a LOT of sheep out there who are willing to buy anything that is new and shiny.
You know that you can just not buy one and still play PlayStation 5 games fully? Why are you so angry about something you don't have to engage with at?

Then again, I suspect you don't even have a PS5...

MarkMe2525

I game with wired controllers and the very few cons are far outweighed by the pros. I used my daughter's controller in her room the other day, and when the controller died, it just felt wrong.

I imagine if I were to drop $200 on a "pro" controller, I would rarely be wireless.

Top Bottom