• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Lost Approximately %50 of Value

Shang-Chi and Eternals we're pretty good ... On their own, I liked them a lot!I feel like there's a racial angle to SOME of the criticism these movies have gotten. And the rest has to do with fragile little boys who are afraid of "the M She U".

Oh it does

I'm not a fan of woke/feminazi stuff but if it's done well that's when I enjoy it. Not to mention if it's not preachy.

Example: Eternals, Shang-Chi, and Ms Marvel

Hell I even hated Ms Marvel first episode since I found it cringey

But the rest of the episodes so far I loved and that's because I can actually relate to her character. And it's funny 99% of the time I can't relate to teeny boopy entertainment but Ms Marvel is the exception. Yeah I know teeny boopy entertainment is a insult but I guess I'm getting up there in age

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I enjoyed Shang-Chi and Eternals :p

This sounds like it was taken from a Stephen King novel
Shang-Chi wasn't as bad as Eternals that's for sure, some decent martial arts in it I guess, like the bus scene. Eternals was just so boring though. And long. Not to mention the rubbish villain(s).

ManaByte ManaByte makes it sound like Shang-Chi was some masterpiece though 😅

Shang-Chi wasn't as bad as Eternals that's for sure, some decent martial arts in it I guess, like the bus scene. Eternals was just so boring though. And long. Not to mention the rubbish villain(s).

ManaByte ManaByte makes it sound like Shang-Chi was some masterpiece though 😅
I'm a huge MCU fan but I have some brutal ratings for all the movies for Phase 1 - 4

By far the worst of Phase 4 in order are Black Widow, The Falcon And The Winter Soldier and Spider-Man No Way Home

As for Eternals, the villains were the only issue I had with it. I thought the Deviants looked generic

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm a huge MCU fan but I have some brutal ratings for all the movies for Phase 1 - 4

By far the worst of Phase 4 in order are Black Widow, The Falcon And The Winter Soldier and Spider-Man No Way Home

As for Eternals, the villains were the only issue I had with it. I thought the Deviants looked generic
I think a big problem is how uninteresting these characters are. Throw in a lot of meh CGI that doesn't impress anymore, and unoriginal, uninspired writing and these films have been quite boring.

There's a small number of people who will say they've been good and accuse anyone who disagrees of being racist/homophobic etc, but the numbers amongst the wider audience speak for themselves. There's only so long you can keep pumping out watered-down versions of better films.

Agree with you on the Deviants, also with their motivations.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

My problems with Falcon + WS were the pacing, the action and the muddled messaging. It felt like an origin story that had no overall narrative

Goalus

Letter poster, neo member, low post count and drive-by pearl-clutching "I can't believe GAF is like this" tone policing comments. They've got nobody left to argue with becuse the mods stamp out wrongthink in seconds, they miss that dopamine hit of calling someone an istaphobe incel.
Are you a bigot? 🤡

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned

No Way Home is pretty bad, huh? I have a hard time coming to terms with it.

Toolhead1987

Neo Member
some say it's the woke/gay stuff but really it's just that the material itself sucks.
Nu Star Wars wasn't bad because it had black character or whatever. It was just a bad Movie with a bad script.
just like the rest of the new Star Wars with the exception of the Mandalorian and Rogue One.
Marvel at this point is like the Mc Donalds of Movies as well completely uninteresting at this point.

Trogdor1123

I enjoyed Shang-Chi and Eternals :p
Same here actually. Eternals should have been made into a tv series though. Would have been easy. Would have allowed more of it to come through too.

Shang Chi was good too, I like black widow too actually.

We’re 1/2 the way through the new doctor strange and it’s kinda meh so far. Only cool characters are Scarlet Witch and Wong. Strange just isn’t good as before imo. I’m sure it will get better

I think a big problem is how uninteresting these characters are. Throw in a lot of meh CGI that doesn't impress anymore, and unoriginal, uninspired writing and these films have been quite boring.

There's a small number of people who will say they've been good and accuse anyone who disagrees of being racist/homophobic etc, but the numbers amongst the wider audience speak for themselves. There's only so long you can keep pumping out watered-down versions of better films.

Agree with you on the Deviants, also with their motivations.

Thats the issues I've been having with superhero films and shows in general. Marvel and DC. DC wise the movies I absolutely hated Joker and James Gunn Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman 1984. The Boys included. Maybe I'm getting superhero fatigued? BTW I loved Top Gun Maverick and I hated the first Top Gun

I can't wait for Black Adam

No Way Home is pretty bad, huh? I have a hard time coming to terms with it.

Yeah I hated it the first time watching it. It's basically a nostalgia wank fest. I would have liked it more if it didn't overuse nostalgia. The Matt Murdock scene was nostalgia/fan service used right. I thought the action sequences were good and the humor funny. But I felt that using those other 2 Spider-Mans from the other 2 Spider-Man franchise was overkill for me. I felt the movie was boring during most of the film

Last edited:
Same here actually. Eternals should have been made into a tv series though. Would have been easy. Would have allowed more of it to come through too.

We’re 1/2 the way through the new doctor strange and it’s kinda meh so far. Only cool characters are Scarlet Witch and Wong. Strange just isn’t good as before imo. I’m sure it will get better

Yeah I think Eternals should have been a Disney Plus show.

I hated Black Widow due to the unnecessary feminazi agenda that was shoved in it

As for Doctor Strange 2, yeah that one I noticed is divisive. Which is understandable. I loved that one

sol_bad

The only problem with it being a TV show is the CGI would have been shit and people would have complained about that, they were already complaining about it in the movie.
Add to that that if it was a TV show it probably would not have had a 200 million dollar budget, more like 100-150 million. You're spreading potential CGI time from 2.5 hours to 5-8 hours.

nush

The only problem with it being a TV show is the CGI would have been shit and people would have complained about that, they were already complaining about it in the movie.
Add to that that if it was a TV show it probably would not have had a 200 million dollar budget, more like 100-150 million. You're spreading potential CGI time from 2.5 hours to 5-8 hours.

It's a movie not a videogame you doofus. People have lower expectations for TV CG anyway so they don't need to spend as much.

Trogdor1123

Black Widow is the worst MCU movie. It served absolutely no purpose other than introduce a member of the Thunderbolts and ruin Taskmaster with a pointless pandering gender-swap.
I found it funny how it was self aware and made fun of itself. It was silly but that’s ok. It’s a marvel movie so I wasn’t expecting much.

nush

People constantly complain about CGI in TV shows......................

Within reason, the quality of CGI on a TV show should be a much lower priority to enjoyment than many other more important factors (Scrips, story, acting) and you should probably just ignore those people. If you've paid for a movie ticket it's more understandable but those are probably the same people that complain about practical effects being shit CGi too.

Doom85

and ruin Taskmaster with a pointless pandering gender-swap.

The gender element is actually irrelevant at the end of the day as what actually ruined Taskmaster was the personality having zero resemblance of the comic character. A woman could have easily had that personality but instead we got a silent character purely for the sake of a twist tied to Natasha’s backstory. I’m sure people would have still bitched about the gender anyway but it probably would have been not as much.

At least the phrase “Taskmaster program” was used in the film which could mean another one closer to the comics will emerge eventually.

I still liked the film fine enough (Yelena and Alexei carried it).

Scotty W

Getting woke is not exactly the issue. But woke and incompetence often walk together.
I agree and disagree. Wokeness is exactly the issue because wokeness cannot create, it can only destroy.

Why as humans, are we interested in stories? That little sparkle of the human spirit. But that sparkle is exactly what wokeness wants to destroy. Oh it may, Iago-like pretend to befriend for a time, but in the end, it will always end up by draining all the hero’s blood.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You could have done The Eternals as a show easily. No reason the deviants needed to be big generic CGI monsters. Make them look like people, spend the time on stunt work and choreography, and it would have all been for the better. Hell, look at The Boys. Whats the budget for that show, 10 mill/ep? They got solid CGI used wisely and they make up for it with WRITING and...shocker...ACTING. Disney throws money at spectacle to cover for dodgy acting and ATROCIOUS writing.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
IMO, an excellent example of what *I* think "woke" is, in the modern definition of it, is something like Daybreak on Netflix. It was like "these kids are WOKE!" And I really disliked the show... But I wanted to see how it ended. Of course it wasn't picked up for season 2. The storylines of all the characters were horrible... The "hero" was made to look like an incel at the end. Even though he was great to everyone and highly respectful (he's Canadian) to the love interest. Clearly indoctrinated by movies to believe in a happily ever after... The love interest didn't want that. But they were all KIDS and somehow sex wasn't a big deal to them and just normal. Several kids had obvious mental issues but folks were told to just accept it (on the "good side" anyway). The jocks were fascists and murderous. The jock leader was clearly psychotic and the only one that's ok to kill.

It was just bad. It tried to be a woke Scott Pilgrim ...

I wouldn't put Falcon and the Winter Soldier on par with THAT monstrosity... By comparison, Falc and WS are Shakespeare to that pile of crap.

sol_bad

You could have done The Eternals as a show easily. No reason the deviants needed to be big generic CGI monsters. Make them look like people, spend the time on stunt work and choreography, and it would have all been for the better. Hell, look at The Boys. Whats the budget for that show, 10 mill/ep? They got solid CGI used wisely and they make up for it with WRITING and...shocker...ACTING. Disney throws money at spectacle to cover for dodgy acting and ATROCIOUS writing.

I'm just transplanting the current existing story to TV. Same story, just fleshed out characterisation. Nothing makes me believe the story would have been changed just because it was made as a TV show. The story they presented is what they decided on years ago.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with the acting in Eternals. I personally loved Eternals as a whole, very different to the usual MCU films. And not every film needs to rely on characterisation, like Mad Max Fury Road and Dunkirk.

The "hero" was made to look like an incel at the end.
Since you brought it up as an example, even in Star Wars Finn got cock blocked. He was clearly interested in Rey and spends most of the films chasing her. They ended up playing it as a joke and the whole subplot went nowhere.

One could see that as a manifestation of woke. The constant focus on subverting tropes and stereotypes. Boys growing up dreaming of becoming a hero and getting the pretty girl? That's problematic! It leads to the objectification of women and rape culture! Change it! Who knows if wokeness was the reason, but it's peculiar none(?) of the recent SW media has had romance in it. The OT and prequels featured romance a bunch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Since you brought it up as an example, even in Star Wars Finn got cock blocked. He was clearly interested in Rey and spends most of the films chasing her. They ended up playing it as a joke and the whole subplot went nowhere.

One could see that as a manifestation of woke. The constant focus on subverting tropes and stereotypes. Boys growing up dreaming of becoming a hero and getting the pretty girl? That's problematic! It leads to the objectification of women and rape culture! Change it! Who knows if wokeness was the reason, but it's peculiar none(?) of the recent SW media has had romance in it. The OT and prequels featured romance a bunch.
Disney literally killed off the entire Skywalker and Solo lineage and made a Palpatine a namesake “Skywalker.”

If one can’t see the big fuck you to the old school male power fantasy people grew up with, then you’re in a cognitive dissonance circus.

Last edited:

Not to mention it's a white feminazi female power fantasy

Last edited:

Toolhead1987

Neo Member

well said I was kinda bummed out how underused Finn as Character. more proof they were making shit up as they went.

Reallink

some say it's the woke/gay stuff but really it's just that the material itself sucks.
Nu Star Wars wasn't bad because it had black character or whatever. It was just a bad Movie with a bad script.
just like the rest of the new Star Wars with the exception of the Mandalorian and Rogue One.
Marvel at this point is like the Mc Donalds of Movies as well completely uninteresting at this point.

You're describing 2 sides of the same coin. The script was bad because it was conceived and written to pander. The elevator pitch of Nu Star Wars was women are tough with a thinly veiled interracial romance subplot.

jason10mm

Gold Member
IMO, an excellent example of what *I* think "woke" is, in the modern definition of it, is something like Daybreak on Netflix. It was like "these kids are WOKE!" And I really disliked the show... But I wanted to see how it ended. Of course it wasn't picked up for season 2. The storylines of all the characters were horrible... The "hero" was made to look like an incel at the end. Even though he was great to everyone and highly respectful (he's Canadian) to the love interest. Clearly indoctrinated by movies to believe in a happily ever after... The love interest didn't want that. But they were all KIDS and somehow sex wasn't a big deal to them and just normal. Several kids had obvious mental issues but folks were told to just accept it (on the "good side" anyway). The jocks were fascists and murderous. The jock leader was clearly psychotic and the only one that's ok to kill.
Daybreak was an interesting one. I kinda liked the idea that the guy had built the girl so much up in his head and his whole "gotta rescue her" quest and it didn't pan out because she was never the girl he thought she was. Then, IIRC, he throws away the perfectly good girl he does get for the fantasy pedestal girl. But it did fall apart under its own weight and sloppy lore, plus some really cringe characters.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Disney literally killed off the entire Skywalker and Solo lineage and made a Palpatine a namesake “Skywalker.”

If one can’t see the big fuck you to the old school male power fantasy people grew up with, then you’re in a cognitive dissonance circus.
Given time someone will make a show that the Emperor clones Anakin shortly after RotS trying to make more Sith and that clone so wants to be Anakin that it maims itself to be just like him, then they fight and it kills Anakin. Thus "Vader killed Anakin" would actually be true.

Thats the kind of silly shit you get when folks spin the same record over and over.

Daybreak was an interesting one. I kinda liked the idea that the guy had built the girl so much up in his head and his whole "gotta rescue her" quest and it didn't pan out because she was never the girl he thought she was. Then, IIRC, he throws away the perfectly good girl he does get for the fantasy pedestal girl. But it did fall apart under its own weight and sloppy lore, plus some really cringe characters.
I was thinking about watching it but from what I read there's a bunch of Woke and Feminazism in there

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was thinking about watching it but from what I read there's a bunch of Woke and Feminazism in there
Given that it has no real resolution I'd probably give it a pass. It's no where near as bad as some Netflix shit (October Faction, I'm looking at you) but as a season of TV it has little resolution and with no second season there is little payoff for anything. It was a fun premise but it drives itself into the ground eventually.

Given that it has no real resolution I'd probably give it a pass. It's no where near as bad as some Netflix shit (October Faction, I'm looking at you) but as a season of TV it has little resolution and with no second season there is little payoff for anything. It was a fun premise but it drives itself into the ground eventually.
Curious what woke about October Faction? I'm interested in watching that

jason10mm

Gold Member
Curious what woke about October Faction? I'm interested in watching that
October Faction is just dumb as shit.

It does have a really really convoluted plot contrivance to get around some self-inflicted casting issues and stuff but mostly it is just poorly done all around. Another show with just 1 season because even netflix figured out it was crap.

Nydius

That's not even the thing that bothers me.

I've posted about it here before in the Obi-Wan topic thread: What aggravates the shit out of me with Disney Star Wars is how they're taking all of the original trilogy male heroes (and one anti-hero) and turning them into broken shells of themselves. Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Boba Fett. All got portrayed as absolutely weak-willed, pathetic characters only to "redeem" them later in service of setting up future characters.

Turning Han Solo into a deadbeat dad who abandoned his family was an atrocity. Turning Luke into a cranky hermit who wanted to completely destroy the knowledge and history of the Jedi because one of his students got seduced by the dark side (something Luke surely had to understand was a risk when he restarted the Jedi temple) was pure character assassination. At least I could somewhat understand why they chose to portray Obi-Wan and Boba Fett as broken men with PTSD. But the utter dismantling of Han and Luke (and to a lesser degree, Finn and Poe who they never really did much with except use as set dressing)? For what? To push Rey and Leia into center stage?

With exception to Rogue One, Disney Star Wars is dead to me.
And the way they've been going with the TV shows and movies, the MCU is close behind.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I thought I was the only one that watched it. It just made me cringe on each episode. Even Matthew Broderick couldn't save it. The little girl was one of the worst characters... But the gay sword wielding ex jock was a treasure... As was the Canadian kid. Just didn't like the love interest, the homicidal kid, the jocks, the "witch", etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's not even the thing that bothers me.

I've posted about it here before in the Obi-Wan topic thread: What aggravates the shit out of me with Disney Star Wars is how they're taking all of the original trilogy male heroes (and one anti-hero) and turning them into broken shells of themselves. Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Boba Fett. All got portrayed as absolutely weak-willed, pathetic characters only to "redeem" them later in service of setting up future characters.

Turning Han Solo into a deadbeat dad who abandoned his family was an atrocity. Turning Luke into a cranky hermit who wanted to completely destroy the knowledge and history of the Jedi because one of his students got seduced by the dark side (something Luke surely had to understand was a risk when he restarted the Jedi temple) was pure character assassination. At least I could somewhat understand why they chose to portray Obi-Wan and Boba Fett as broken men with PTSD. But the utter dismantling of Han and Luke (and to a lesser degree, Finn and Poe who they never really did much with except use as set dressing)? For what? To push Rey and Leia into center stage?

With exception to Rogue One, Disney Star Wars is dead to me.
And the way they've been going with the TV shows and movies, the MCU is close behind.
Clap Reaction GIF

sol_bad

Why do people think Han is a dead beat father? As far as I know he was a loving father until Ben turned to the dark side and went evil. Once that happened, his and Leia's relationship fell apart and they split.
How does that make him a dead beat father? Was he meant to walk through the front doors of the First Order and demand his son come home?

Banjo64

cumsessed
It was fine until the end of Phase three.

Now they've badly ran out of ideas, interest levels are waning, and things are only going to go one way from here.
They have ran out of ideas but they also used to have the Midas Touch in terms of casting.

Chris Pratt as Star Lord, RDJ as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America. All of it really. The casting was spot on and now some of the actors are moving on the current incarnation of Marvel just can’t adequately recast.

An example of this was Kit Harrington, Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden in Eternals. Individually great actors but they just didn’t fit in my opinion, it was dreadful viewing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom