• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Lost Approximately %50 of Value

ZywyPL

Banned
50%? And still, nothing of value was lost.

Maybe people are just bored/exhausted by being fed with nothing but Marvel and SW over and over again, it's been what, a decade already? Time for Disney to stop replying on just two franchises/universes and make something original for once.

DKehoe

Morbius has taken more than Lightyear :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s Morbin time.
Im1bn0Y.jpg

Last edited:
Shang-Chi wasn't as bad as Eternals that's for sure, some decent martial arts in it I guess, like the bus scene. Eternals was just so boring though. And long. Not to mention the rubbish villain(s).

ManaByte ManaByte makes it sound like Shang-Chi was some masterpiece though 😅
I could not finish Shang-Chi personally. I thought it was promising with the fist fights but once all the Marvel-ry started with the magic and the like, I zoned out and then turned it off.

sol_bad

Morbius has taken more than Lightyear :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s Morbin time.

Shit on Disney all you want, just make sure the shitting is worthwhile.

You should give Lightyear more time. Morbius has been in cinemas for 3 months, Lightyear 10 days. Currently Lightyear is only 11 million behind Morbius.

They have ran out of ideas but they also used to have the Midas Touch in terms of casting.

Chris Pratt as Star Lord, RDJ as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America. All of it really. The casting was spot on and now some of the actors are moving on the current incarnation of Marvel just can’t adequately recast.

An example of this was Kit Harrington, Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden in Eternals. Individually great actors but they just didn’t fit in my opinion, it was dreadful viewing.

Simu Liu is perfect as Shang-Chi.
Hailee Steinfeld is perfect as Kate Bishop.
Oscar Isaac is perfect as Moonknight.
Iman Vilani is perfect as Kamala Khan.

Their casting is still great.
Eternals is just a completely different take on the source material.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Shit on Disney all you want, just make sure the shitting is worthwhile.

You should give Lightyear more time. Morbius has been in cinemas for 3 months, Lightyear 10 days. Currently Lightyear is only 11 million behind Morbius.
Yeah it was obviously a light hearted comment pal don’t take it too serious. Although if you want to get down to the nitty gritty it’s likely that Morbius will end up more profitable than lightyear considering the respective budgets of $70m and $200m.

Simu Liu is perfect as Shang-Chi.
Hailee Steinfeld is perfect as Kate Bishop.
Oscar Isaac is perfect as Moonknight.
Iman Vilani is perfect as Kamala Khan.

Their casting is still great.
Eternals is just a completely different take on the source material.

Animated GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not going to lie I have enjoyed watching people on social media pretend as if Disney is still not one of the most dominant forces in worldwide media because of this news in the past week. Meanwhile they are still one of the most successful and most powerful media presences on the planet who currently control the hottest trend in cinema and home entertainment in the MCU that has dominated the media landscape for over a decade straight with billions and billions in profits both at the box office, the toy shelves, and the overall merchandise related to it. And that is not even getting into the fact that Disney+ has landed so many body blows to other streaming services like Netflix that their competitors are on the backfoot just trying to hang in there at this point given the reach and the downright value of the package that Disney presents customers with D+, ESPN+, and Hulu. Which captures the whole family like a god damn net. D+ for the kids, ESPN for the dad, and Hulu for everything else. A business strat that is so damn genius that despite me hating monopolies like Disney I can't help but admire the sheer gall of it because they likely lose money on the deal, but they gain money in so many other areas by edging out the competition.

But yeah sure "Go woke go broke! Aha! See!" like some people on Twitter and Reddit seem to want to believe lol

pepe.jpg

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Truth. Bait. Sometimes its the same thing when it comes to the internet. You can't honestly sit there and say that Disney is "broke". I know you are smarter than that lol

Its just competing narratives and wishful thinking. You know that.

Last edited:
Not going to lie I have enjoyed watching people on social media pretend as if Disney is still not one of the most dominant forces in worldwide media because of this news in the past week. Meanwhile they are still one of the most successful and most powerful media presences on the planet who currently control the hottest trend in cinema and home entertainment in the MCU that has dominated the media landscape for over a decade straight with billions and billions in profits both at the box office, the toy shelves, and the overall merchandise related to it. And that is not even getting into the fact that Disney+ has landed so many body blows to other streaming services like Netflix that their competitors are on the backfoot just trying to hang in there at this point given the reach and the downright value of the package that Disney presents customers with D+, ESPN+, and Hulu. Which captures the whole family like a god damn net. D+ for the kids, ESPN for the dad, and Hulu for everything else. A business strat that is so damn genius that despite me hating monopolies like Disney I can't help but admire the sheer gall of it because they likely lose money on the deal, but they gain money in so many other areas by edging out the competition.

But yeah sure "Go woke go broke! Aha! See!" like some people on Twitter and Reddit seem to want to believe lol

X0zSZAh.png

Nobody_Important

Way to read the post as usual lol

I literally said

despite me hating monopolies like Disney

Acknowledging the reality of the situation doesn't mean I am just a huge fan of the way it all works. Disney has WAY too much power and I don't like that. But at the same time I am capable of seeing that calling them "broke" is completely ridiculous lol

Last edited:

nush

Truth. Bait. Sometimes its the same thing when it comes to the internet. You can't honestly sit there and say that Disney is "broke". I know you are smarter than that lol

Its just competing narratives and wishful thinking. You know that.

This company is offering more for less and that's great, but you know where that leads...

Nobody_Important

This company is offering more for less and that's great, but you know where that leads...
Yeah apparently it leads to massive media influence and a near bottomless pit of content and cash with which you get to dictate the direction of media and how the population consumes it.

If that is going broke or failing then sign me up.

Last edited:

nush

Yeah apparently it leads to massive media influence and a near bottomless pit of content and cash with which you get to dictate the direction of media and how the population consumes it.

If that is going broke or failing then sign me up.

I was thinking more of the Walmart and Amazons of the world actually. Somebody's going to be paying the price for that.

Hezekiah

Banned

It’s Morbin time.
Insane, Morbius' with its 16% RT score 😄. Plus you have to consider Morbius' budget which is just over a third of Lightyear's budget 😅
They have ran out of ideas but they also used to have the Midas Touch in terms of casting.

Chris Pratt as Star Lord, RDJ as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America. All of it really. The casting was spot on and now some of the actors are moving on the current incarnation of Marvel just can’t adequately recast.

An example of this was Kit Harrington, Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden in Eternals. Individually great actors but they just didn’t fit in my opinion, it was dreadful viewing.
Yeah I mean they've always had a 'template', but that can only be stretched so far, and these new films just don't have the pizzazz of some of the older ones. The fact they're turning the more popular characters into complete jokes (Thor, Hulk) so they can push a feminine agenda is the icing on the cake.

Agree on Richard Madden, he was terrible. So dry and boring, totally lacking in charisma. Angelina Jolie looked like a fish out of water.

MastaKiiLA

xsn6zEJ.jpg

Shang-Chi was absolute dreck.
Not really a fair comparison. The fight choreography is top-step for comic book movies. I can't think of another superhero film that's close. Stuff like the Raid films are always going to murder it, though, because they're films rooted in more gritty realism, and the fight choreography is the draw. The story and visual effects are distant second and third respectively. Shang-Chi has to complete Marvel bingo, while also trying to incorporate traditional kung-fu elements. I think they did great. That bus fight was tits. Probably the best bus fight scene of the year, edging out Nobody. There's another film that did a better job overall of its fight choreography than Shang-Chi, but again, not really the same kind of film. Anyway, just wanted to say that. I feel the film is much maligned, but outside of the cliche Marvel third act, I thought it was a solid comic flick.

Not really a fair comparison. The fight choreography is top-step for comic book movies. I can't think of another superhero film that's close. Stuff like the Raid films are always going to murder it, though, because they're films rooted in more gritty realism, and the fight choreography is the draw. The story and visual effects are distant second and third respectively. Shang-Chi has to complete Marvel bingo, while also trying to incorporate traditional kung-fu elements. I think they did great. That bus fight was tits. Probably the best bus fight scene of the year, edging out Nobody. There's another film that did a better job overall of its fight choreography than Shang-Chi, but again, not really the same kind of film. Anyway, just wanted to say that. I feel the film is much maligned, but outside of the cliche Marvel third act, I thought it was a solid comic flick.

The Raid 2 still has my favorite car chase sequence of all time

sol_bad

It's not just comic movies, there are heaps of American films that wished they had half as good a choreography as Shang-Shi.

I love Hard Boiled and The Raid but they are worlds apart from Shang-Chi in terms of production. MCU movies cost millions of dollars a day to shoot so it's really impressive that they were allowed the time to perfect the choreography for the fight scenes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's not just comic movies, there are heaps of American films that wished they had half as good a choreography as Shang-Shi.

I love Hard Boiled and The Raid but they are worlds apart from Shang-Chi in terms of production. MCU movies cost millions of dollars a day to shoot so it's really impressive that they were allowed the time to perfect the choreography for the fight scenes.
I don't buy that. The fight choreography is worked out in pre-production, its not like they are practicing it while on set with all the production team standing around. It does take time though, and if the principle actors want in on it then they gotta put in the work versus letting stuntmen do it all with wigs, quick cuts, or now CGI facial masking. The ONLY reason MCU films have generally terrible hand to hand fights is because it is a CHOICE to make them more CGI "let's handle it in post" versus "pre-production is when we get this right" physical stunt work. They want the actor to be able to do stuff so there are some physical stunts on set but nothing like what a dedicated martial arts film can do with a skilled practicioner as the lead and proper choreography. Shang-Chi had, for marvel, some pretty good fights but then it totally shit the bed with that third act. Otherwise Captain America films are about the only ones with decent physical fights that look like there is weight in the punches.

But if you watch an america action film from the 90's or before, we did know how to do physical fights, we just lost it somewhere along the way with jump cuts, shakey cam, and reliance on CGI.

Last edited:

Nah mate.

I'd rather watch a Jacky Chan comedy flick with actual decent choreography than Shang-Chi. The movie was way too fake and the third act was just atrocious. The film also prides itself in being rooted in Asian culture, but underneath the shiny Hollywood veneer, there is actually not much of anything. The action had way too much CGI and felt absolutely weightless. Ye olden wire-fu movies from the golden age have much better action scenes than this lifeless computer generated crapfest. If only the stunts, the fight choreography and the editing would have been as impressive as the main actor's ego.

Why would I watch this over any of the Jackie Chan movies honestly?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah mate.

I'd rather watch a Jacky Chan comedy flick with actual decent choreography than Shang-Chi. The movie was way too fake and the third act was just atrocious. The film also prides itself in being rooted in Asian culture, but underneath the shiny Hollywood veneer, there is actually not much of anything. The action had way too much CGI and felt absolutely weightless. Ye olden wire-fu movies from the golden age have much better action scenes than this lifeless computer generated crapfest. If only the stunts, the fight choreography and the editing would have been as impressive as the main actor's ego.

A wild Ip Man series enters the room with gargantuan KIng Kong sized balls.

Nah mate.

Your assessment of Shang-Chi is spot on. Same exact impressions I came away with.

sol_bad

I don't buy that. The fight choreography is worked out in pre-production, its not like they are practicing it while on set with all the production team standing around. It does take time though, and if the principle actors want in on it then they gotta put in the work versus letting stuntmen do it all with wigs, quick cuts, or now CGI facial masking. The ONLY reason MCU films have generally terrible hand to hand fights is because it is a CHOICE to make them more CGI "let's handle it in post" versus "pre-production is when we get this right" physical stunt work. They want the actor to be able to do stuff so there are some physical stunts on set but nothing like what a dedicated martial arts film can do with a skilled practicioner as the lead and proper choreography. Shang-Chi had, for marvel, some pretty good fights but then it totally shit the bed with that third act. Otherwise Captain America films are about the only ones with decent physical fights that look like there is weight in the punches.

But if you watch an america action film from the 90's or before, we did know how to do physical fights, we just lost it somewhere along the way with jump cuts, shakey cam, and reliance on CGI.

I mean, that's true for every American action film, of course the choreography is learnt off set before filming begins. It still takes practice and many multiple takes to perfect things during filming, especially if there are extended single camera takes. Which is exactly my point with Shang-Chi, it was afforded the time to perfect it's martial arts scenes and doesn't use quick cuts to hide anything.

And I disagree about 90's American martial arts films, many of them had slow or boring choreography. Yeah, they were great when I was a kid or teenager, not so great any more.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well Disney is pushing lightyear hard now. its on every comercial break ont he disney channel. Got to try to get those numbers up.

I did take my kids yesterday to see it. first weekday of summer for them and NO ONE was in the movie theater. Lots of people watching other movies though.
My kids didn't care about the kiss scene but when she was pregnant one of my kids just blurted out. "Two moms can't make a baby!" lol 🤷‍♂️ I've got to screen their youtube time better. lol

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well Disney is pushing lightyear hard now. its on every comercial break ont he disney channel. Got to try to get those numbers up.

I did take my kids yesterday to see it. first weekday of summer for them and NO ONE was in the movie theater. Lots of people watching other movies though.
My kids didn't care about the kiss scene but when she was pregnant one of my kids just blurted out. "Two moms can't make a baby!" lol 🤷‍♂️ I've got to screen their youtube time better. lol

In vitro fertilization

MrMephistoX

Honestly Lightyear bombing probably has more to do with the fact that it’s the first Pixar animated film to not go straight to D+ since Onward and it doesn’t have the buzz of Encanto which did pretty damn well at the box office despite having an entirely brown cast. I mistakenly thought Lightyear was headed straight to D+ due to the lack of marketing ahead of time. I wouldn’t worry about Disney’s long term profitability at all having just caught COVID at Disneyland I can assure you it was as crowded as ever. The bigger problem to me is Chapek he’s a penny pinching operations man who has no interpersonal relationship building skills and has business running an entertainment company compared to Iger who had a vision a largely let storytellers tell their stories without a lot of meddling. Are people just still upset that a black woman turned out to be a well developed character with a very credible backstory in Obi Wan?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
And I disagree about 90's American martial arts films, many of them had slow or boring choreography. Yeah, they were great when I was a kid or teenager, not so great any more.
Oh man, I don't even know where to begin with this....while I can appreciate the slap-happy wu-shu wire stuff as much as anyone, there is an indescribable charm to Seagal the murder machine akidoing his way through legions of tiny stuntmen, Van Damm jump spinning backkicking all who dare challenge him, the oh so brief reign of Brandon Lee who really only got a few films to show off what could have been, I'm totally convinced Rapid Fire coulda been the start of a whole new wave of cinematic martial arts years before Rumble in the Bronx popularized that style of choreography (in the US) had he lived to follow-up on it. Plenty of actors back then were hired for their physical prowess first and foremost, their acting ability had to play catch-up. These days folks are hired for their appearance and any stunt fighting ability can come later, if ever. We get some MMA folk and wrestlers but rarely do they get to showcase their skills.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Honestly Lightyear bombing probably has more to do with the fact that it’s the first Pixar animated film to not go straight to D+ since Onward and it doesn’t have the buzz of Encanto which did pretty damn well at the box office despite having an entirely brown cast. I mistakenly thought Lightyear was headed straight to D+ due to the lack of marketing ahead of time. I wouldn’t worry about Disney’s long term profitability at all having just caught COVID at Disneyland I can assure you it was as crowded as ever. The bigger problem to me is Chapek he’s a penny pinching operations man who has no interpersonal relationship building skills and has business running an entertainment company compared to Iger who had a vision a largely let storytellers tell their stories without a lot of meddling. Are people just still upset that a black woman turned out to be a well developed character with a very credible backstory in Obi Wan?
Chapek and DIsney's recently being in the media a lot with their opposition to the parental rights bill and employee leaks. Disney parks prices going up with the ammeneties and magic going down. taking away the magical express was a big blunder.
I have taken my family every year since my kids where 3. we were at the opening for toystory land, galaxies edge, and the skyliner. I basically have a shrine in my home to disney vacation memorabilia. We have a ton of disney stuffies, coffee mugs, blankets, pictures, clothing ..ect litering the house.

Chapek is definitely one issue but there are others as well. I just wonder how long the share hholders are going to put up with it. Chapek kept their money up during the pandemic for sure but at what future cost?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Chapek and DIsney's recently being in the media a lot with their opposition to the parental rights bill and employee leaks. Disney parks prices going up with the ammeneties and magic going down. taking away the magical express was a big blunder.
I have taken my family every year since my kids where 3. we were at the opening for toystory land, galaxies edge, and the skyliner. I basically have a shrine in my home to disney vacation memorabilia. We have a ton of disney stuffies, coffee mugs, blankets, pictures, clothing ..ect litering the house.

Chapek is definitely one issue but there are others as well. I just wander how long the share hholders are going to put up with it. Chapek kept their money up during the pandemic for sure but at what future cost?
Same here. Was an annual passholder every year since 2011 in FL. Well, we see how Disney is handling that shit now.

ManaByte

Chapek is definitely one issue but there are others as well. I just wander how long the share hholders are going to put up with it. Chapek kept their money up during the pandemic for sure but at what future cost?

Shareholders voted to oust him in March, the board kept him. But his contract expires next March.

Cyberpunkd

Wait a minute, are you telling me one of the two weekends in the movie is pregnant without daddy in the picture? Is it as subtle or they make even more obvious point?

HoodWinked

Since the lightyear thread was closed.

There was some hope that Lightyear would hold for the 2nd week. When Frozen came out it stayed in theaters for almost a year. Instead Lightyear dropped fairly rapidly down 64.1%
And ridiculously Top Gun barely missed 1st.

yosPP7q.png

Since the lightyear thread was closed.

There was some hope that Lightyear would hold for the 2nd week. When Frozen came out it stayed in theaters for almost a year. Instead Lightyear dropped fairly rapidly down 64.1%
And ridiculously Top Gun barely missed 1st.

yosPP7q.png
Recently watched Lightyear. Thought it was boring. Had no issue with the lesbian Kiss. It was one of Pixars weaker films. I give it a C

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yes, they had the resources to make one of those while trying to build a society on while stranded on murder plant planet.

If they had descendants on the planet, and it looks like they did, doing it the old fashioned way, I see no reason why they wouldn't do it in vitro for a couple that can't, together, reproduce. Shoot... What about women who can't have kids AND they're straight? Why not?

If they had descendants on the planet, and it looks like they did, doing it the old fashioned way, I see no reason why they wouldn't do it in vitro for a couple that can't, together, reproduce. Shoot... What about women who can't have kids AND they're straight? Why not?

Yeah the whole outrage with that is so stupid. When I was watching it and after it showed their kid, I immediately thought invitro.

Alebrije

They only way I see Disney broke is because a civil War , a world war or if a natural global disaster occurs.

That conpany it's more economically powerfull than most of countries of the world...

Last edited:
Top Bottom