• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Lost Approximately %50 of Value

FunkMiller

Gold Member
He's actually not, he holds a variety of positions on different subjects not a hive mind one.

Seconded. strange headache strange headache and I agree on a lot, but still had a good go at each other in the Ukraine thread a ways back about the EU’s response.

come at me float like a butterfly GIF

Stunningly, it’s more than possible to hold valid, multiple views at once across the political and social spectrum!

Surprised GIF

If people are screaming REEE! any time they hear a dissenting opinion… then guess where they would probably fit it better?

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

Hezekiah

Banned
Well deserved.

Making garbage movies / TV shows, and shoving their woke agendas down people's throats will do this to you.

People should vote with their wallets and unsubscribe from D+.
They already are - Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals all flopped.

Viewing figures for Hawkeye were the lowest of any of the Marvel shows up to that point, and Ms Marvel's are way lower than that so far.

She-Hulk will almost certainly bomb too. They have a ton of Marvel content coming in the next couple of years which will be more derivative crap filled with woke identity politics to be shoved down our throats.

Meanwhile Star Wars is basically dead - the hardcore and much of the mainstream turned off the franchise since The Last Jedi was released, (which made two-third of The Force Awakens at the box office, and The Rise of Skywalker which made just over half). Meanwhile Solo was one of the biggest bombs of all-time.

Obi-Wan was retconned rubbish, Boba Fett was boring crap, and the Mandalorian was average.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Viewing figures for Hawkeye were the lowest of any of the Marvel shows up to that point, and Ms Marvel's are way lower than that so far.

She-Hulk will almost certainly bomb too. They have a ton of Marvel content coming in the next couple of years which will be more derivative crap filled with woke identity politics to be shoved down our throats.

Meanwhile Star Wars is basically dead - the hardcore and much of the mainstream turned off the franchise since The Last Jedi was released, (which made two-third of The Force Awakens at the box office, and The Rise of Skywalker which made just over half). Meanwhile Solo was one of the biggest bombs of all-time.

Obi-Wan was retconned rubbish, Boba Fett was boring crap, and the Mandalorian was average.

The Mandalorian season 2, Mando Season 1, Loki, WandaVision, Hawkeye, Falcon and Winter Soldier, book of Boba all had great viewership over 4 million with Mando Season 2 having the highest of ALL Disney/Marvel shows.

Your premise is highly flawed with it being mostly opinion with very few facts.

Hezekiah

Banned
The Mandalorian season 2, Mando Season 1, Loki, WandaVision, Hawkeye, Falcon and Winter Soldier, book of Boba all had great viewership over 4 million with Mando Season 2 having the highest of ALL Disney/Marvel shows.

Your premise is highly flawed with it being mostly opinion with very few facts.
Hawkeye had the lowest viewship of any the Marvel shows up to that point, and Ms Marvel so far is significantly lower than that.

Sorry if that triggers you, but those are the facts.

nush

Hawkeye had the lowest viewship of any the Marvel shows up to that point, and Ms Marvel so far is significantly lower than that.

Facts, people hate them.

Mistake

Star wars is still doing fairly well. A lot of people I know watch it, even if I don’t. Anything else is very hit or miss. I have a strong feeling that most people just wait for content to stream now, rather than go to theaters, so disney isn’t getting nearly the same ticket sales. That, and pissing off 50% of families that will actually spend money at their parks

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Where did I say ANYTHING about Ms. Marvel? I'm enjoying it but I know viewership for it is lower than every over Lucasfilm/Marvel show.

Fact is, all of the PREVIOUS shows have had viewership higher than 2-3 million domestic.

yazenov

Lightyear is the latest movie to flop both domestically and internationally.

I would also like to add that I watched Wandavision (because someone told me that I needed to watch it before watching Dr Strange 2) and Dr Strange 2 recently. It’s all just so average. Wandavision was a waste of time I think. Dr Strange 2, I heard was supposed to be cosmic horror but not really. The original content are just not good enough.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The original meaning was to see the truth under all the filler.

Lamest definition ever.

It basically meant "I know the truth and my opponents are ignorant"...which meant douches from all along the political spectrum already believed that.

It doesn't set a conflict of ideas up in an honest, mature way. The term turned into a pejorative for good reason.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Lamest definition ever.

It basically meant "I know the truth and my opponents are ignorant"...which meant douches from all along the political spectrum already believed that.

It doesn't set a conflict of ideas up in an honest, mature way. The term turned into a pejorative for good reason.

You misunderstood.

To be "woke" was to be alert to injustice in society, especially racism. It was a term created in the black community and not at all what you posted, what you think or what you thought... Definitely not what folks use it for now (almost anytime someone says it lately, it sounds like it means "oh here comes more stuff with black and brown people and gays and stuff").

So "seeing the truth under the filler" means to see injustice and racism behind the code words like "state's rights" and "welfare queen" ...

I really thought you'd look it up but ... Meh.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You misunderstood.

To be "woke" was to be alert to injustice in society, especially racism. It was a term created in the black community and not at all what you posted, what you think or what you thought... Definitely not what folks use it for now (almost anytime someone says it lately, it sounds like it means "oh here comes more stuff with black and brown people and gays and stuff").

So "seeing the truth under the filler" means to see injustice and racism behind the code words like "state's rights" and "welfare queen" ...

I really thought you'd look it up but ... Meh.

Again, EVERY douche along the political spectrum would define themselves in that very way.

"I know the truth. You're ignorant of the real injustices going on because you're asleep."

Woke meet Truther. Truther meet woke. (Two different groups of people who don't want to be challenged. Both desire the upper hand without earning it. Both are now pejorative, for good reason)

Any definition that automatically denigrates opponents is a shitty one. It was always bad faith and immature. It's cult vocabulary 101 designed to appeal to the easily gotten.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I really want to know what's "woke" to some of y'all... Because it seems to be something different for everyone.

The original meaning was to see the truth under all the filler. Now y'all (people in general) changed the meaning

Yea, I'm getting kind of sick of the term. It's so overused as to be meaningless at this point.

I remember people calling Miss Marvel woke on social media. Like, because she's of a faith that around a quarter of the planet consists of the show is "woke"? Or people called the show We Own This City woke because it details the true story of police corruption in Baltimore.

A lot of people are clearly using the term to degrade any work of art that doesn't feature people who look and think like them.

DKehoe

I really want to know what's "woke" to some of y'all... Because it seems to be something different for everyone.

The original meaning was to see the truth under all the filler. Now y'all (people in general) changed the meaning
It’s made talking about media really dull. Some new film or TV show will come out and so often the conversation will get diverted into discussing whether or not it’s woke.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It’s made talking about media really dull. Some new film or TV show will come out and so often the conversation will get diverted into discussing whether or not it’s woke.

Obi-Wan is woke (mostly talking about 3rd sister)
Ms. Marvel is woke (because Kamala is American Muslim and American Muslims are shown in a positive light)
Hawkeye is woke (mostly because of Kate Bishop)

Pattern...

Interfectum

Agreed on all of this. I'm watching all the phase 4 MCU shit now and I'm left wondering who the fuck these shows and movies are for? What the fuck happened? Post Endgame they just tossed MCU off a goddamn cliff.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Agreed on all of this. I'm watching all the phase 4 MCU shit now and I'm left wondering who the fuck these shows and movies are for? What the fuck happened? Post Endgame they just tossed MCU off a goddamn cliff.
They didn't but they just got very formulaic. At first they were all super serious, now they are more lighthearted and serious moments. MCU is really pain by numbers now.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
There's so much more Marvel and Star Wars stuff coming aswell, it's like a shit-on-a-stick factory churning out Disney products in some never-ending cycle.

And I fully expect viewing figures to keep diminshing.

Even Blade with Mahershala Ali - it should be brilliant, but will probably end up being watered down, generic shite (with more than a pinch of wokeness).

I am now considering cancelling my Disney+ sub. Ironically the only reason I still have it is for the National Geographic shit they have on there.

Don't care for Star Wars (everything since the original trilogy has been varied levels of bad) and kind of checked out of the Marvel shit after WandaVision, which is probably my favorite thing to come out of the MCU after the original Iron Man movie. That's another thing -- the first Iron Man, and maybe the first two Captain America movies, were actually decently good. But things got ruined by:

- Guardians of the Galaxy which mainstreamed an overly "jokey" tone to EVERYTHING in the MCU
- Captain America: Civil War which made a lot of Marvel movies a giant clusterfuck of 20,000 heroes, actually REDUCING the stakes. This is what ultimately was the fatal flaw of (an otherwise good) Infinity War for me: the movie had no impact, because you know Thanos's snap would somehow be undone.

Cyberpunkd

They are for man children that are perfect consumers, never questioning, just consuming. People that argue on Internet forums about meaningless superhero trivia shit.

ManaByte

Gold Member
it's like a shit-on-a-stick factory churning out Disney products in some never-ending cycle.

At least they're not stuck in a never-ending cycle of churning out shit movies based on adjacent super villains no one cares about.

Last edited:

Interfectum

They are for man children that are perfect consumers, never questioning, just consuming. People that argue on Internet forums about meaningless superhero trivia shit.
I guess so. I always considered myself to be a comic book fan, collecting this shit in the 80s and 90s. But these shows are just trash and the movies aren't much better. Doctor Strange 2 should have been a lot better than it was. Not sure what happened there.

Fuz

Banned
I guess so. I always considered myself to be a comic book fan, collecting this shit in the 80s and 90s. But these shows are just trash and the movies aren't much better. Doctor Strange 2 should have been a lot better than it was. Not sure what happened there.
The MCU, for me, was the perfect example of "be careful what you wish for".

In eight years when universes are crashing into each other and God Emperor Doom is siting on his throne with Valeria looking up at him, people are going to be looking back at Doctor Strange 2 very differently and realizing how major it was to Phase 4.
Yep I'm a huge fan of Hickmans Secret Wars. But that's only if Disney stop putting woke stuff in their stuff. I think like most western entertainment companies that in 5 to 10 years they will be out of business

MacReady13

Nah they surely make waaaaay more money on monthly subs than hit or miss feature film releases. They did severely fuck up their parks and their shift from family friendly to man-children content doesn’t help either.
Well let's work it out the scientific way- if they have 87 million subs subscribing at $79 USD a year, that means they are making $6,873,000,000. So like ALL sub services, how could they possibly be losing money if they are making that much money?! Sub services work and you're all lying. Fuck paying to own anything and long live renting for life!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Disney is so much more that their movies and TV shows. The parks they have worldwide, their cruises, etc. You have to take it ALL into account.

Hezekiah

Banned
At least they're not stuck in a never-ending cycle of churning out shit movies based on adjacent super villains no one cares about.
Except lately they've made a number of shit films which don't make much money, and which nobody cares about.

No idea why you've switched to going after Sony movies because you've last the argument as regards the downturn in Disney films.

Weird corporate defense mechanism or something.

Hezekiah

Banned
The MCU, for me, was the perfect example of "be careful what you wish for".
It was fine until the end of Phase three.

Now they've badly ran out of ideas, interest levels are waning, and things are only going to go one way from here.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Now they've badly ran out of ideas

Phase 1 of the Infinity Saga (a TEN YEAR story) didn't have much connection to Endgame. Phase 4 is the first phase of another 10 year story and the first hints of what that endgame is didn't even show up until Doctor Strange 2. It's a bigger story than Endgame.

Phase 1 of the Infinity Saga (a TEN YEAR story) didn't have much connection to Endgame. Phase 4 is the first phase of another 10 year story and the first hints of what that endgame is didn't even show up until Doctor Strange 2. It's a bigger story than Endgame.

Especially that Secret Wars is involved. I find that Phase 4 has been doing a better job of setting things up than Phase 1 and 2 did. My only concern is the obvious stuff I was complaining about which was obnoxious Especially in TFATWS and BW. I really think Fiege need to tone down the politics, it's gonna to screw them over in the long run

I have other issues with Phase 4, but I find that Doctor Strange 2, Ms Marvel, and Loki are the best of Phase 4 so far

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't understand how the existence and depiction of gay people is controversial in 2022, specially in a western country.

Meanwhile, I got a legitimate beef with local gays and you don't see me hating on them because they're gays, I hate my local gay community because I have a rightful beef.

You know what, Stuart? I like you. You're not like the other people here, in the trailer park. Oh, don't go get me wrong, they're fine people, they're good Americans, but they're content to sit back, maybe watch a little Mork and Mindy on channel 57, maybe kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer... They're good, fine people, Stuart but they don't know what the queers are doing to the soil.

You know that Jonny Wurster kid, the kid that delivers papers in the neighborhood? He's a fine kid. Some of the neighbors say he smokes crack, but I don't believe it. Anyway, for his tenth birthday, all he wanted was a burrow owl. He kept bugging his old man; "Dad, get me a burrow owl! I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live!" So the guy breaks down and buys him a burrow owl. Anyway, 10:30 the other night, I go out in my yard and there's the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree! I say "What are you looking for?" And he says "I'm looking for my burrow owl!" And I say "Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows the burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway!?" Now Stuart, do you think a kid like that is going to know what the queers are doing to the soil?

I first became aware of all this about ten years ago, the summer my oldest boy, Bill Jr., died. You know that carnival comes into town every year? Well this year they came through with a ride called The Mixer. The man said "Keep your head and arms inside The Mixer at all times." But Bill Jr., he was a daredevil, just like his old man! He was leaning out saying "Hey everybody, look at me! Look at me!" POW! He was decapitated! They found his head over by the snow cone concession! A few days after that, I open up the mail And there's a pamphlet in there from Pueblo, Colorado, and it's addressed to Bill Jr., and it's entitled Do You Know What the Queers Are Doing to Our Soil?

Now Stuart, if you look at the soil around any large US city with a big underground homosexual population, Des Moines Iowa, for example. Look at the soil around Des Moines, Stuart, you can't build on it, you can't grow anything in it, the government says it's due to poor farming, but I know what's really going on, Stuart! I know it's the queers! They're in it with the aliens! They're building landing strips for gay Martians, I swear to God!

You know what, Stuart? I like you. You're not like the other people, here in the trailer park

They may aswell be compared to Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals 😁
I enjoyed Shang-Chi and Eternals :p
You know what, Stuart? I like you. You're not like the other people here, in the trailer park. Oh, don't go get me wrong, they're fine people, they're good Americans, but they're content to sit back, maybe watch a little Mork and Mindy on channel 57, maybe kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer... They're good, fine people, Stuart but they don't know what the queers are doing to the soil.

You know that Jonny Wurster kid, the kid that delivers papers in the neighborhood? He's a fine kid. Some of the neighbors say he smokes crack, but I don't believe it. Anyway, for his tenth birthday, all he wanted was a burrow owl. He kept bugging his old man; "Dad, get me a burrow owl! I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live!" So the guy breaks down and buys him a burrow owl. Anyway, 10:30 the other night, I go out in my yard and there's the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree! I say "What are you looking for?" And he says "I'm looking for my burrow owl!" And I say "Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows the burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway!?" Now Stuart, do you think a kid like that is going to know what the queers are doing to the soil?

I first became aware of all this about ten years ago, the summer my oldest boy, Bill Jr., died. You know that carnival comes into town every year? Well this year they came through with a ride called The Mixer. The man said "Keep your head and arms inside The Mixer at all times." But Bill Jr., he was a daredevil, just like his old man! He was leaning out saying "Hey everybody, look at me! Look at me!" POW! He was decapitated! They found his head over by the snow cone concession! A few days after that, I open up the mail And there's a pamphlet in there from Pueblo, Colorado, and it's addressed to Bill Jr., and it's entitled Do You Know What the Queers Are Doing to Our Soil?

Now Stuart, if you look at the soil around any large US city with a big underground homosexual population, Des Moines Iowa, for example. Look at the soil around Des Moines, Stuart, you can't build on it, you can't grow anything in it, the government says it's due to poor farming, but I know what's really going on, Stuart! I know it's the queers! They're in it with the aliens! They're building landing strips for gay Martians, I swear to God!

You know what, Stuart? I like you. You're not like the other people, here in the trailer park
This sounds like it was taken from a Stephen King novel

I think most of the people trashing Shang-Chi didn't actually see it but instead watched a five-hour YouTube breakdown where they spend two hours of it misrepresenting the sister's role in the movie to push the M-SHE-U bullshit.
Yeah I agree. She wasn't that bad in the film. It was a great martial arts films. My only issue with it is the last third act.

Top Bottom